Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

heh, you blame meteor for you entering your pw wrong a few times? n00b mistake ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kaimera wrote: »
    heh, you blame meteor for you entering your pw wrong a few times? n00b mistake ;):p

i hang my head in shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Nice one Vimes. That didnt take you long. :)

Nice one Vimes. That didnt take you long. :)

they didn't really change that much, just the address of the page for logging in. getting it working again only took 5 mins and the rest was debugging

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

The application works fine with me. Started using it yesterday. The only issue is when I sent a text message, it sends two copies?
    Any explataion for this?

• Advertisement

regedit wrote: »
    The application works fine with me. Started using it yesterday. The only issue is when I sent a text message, it sends two copies?
    Any explataion for this?

what network are you on? does it take two texts from your allowance or just one? does it do it every time?

what network are you on? does it take two texts from your allowance or just one? does it do it every time?

I am on O2(the number however starts with 087 but is in fact O2 network).
    I tried sending about 20 sms today and it did this on each occasion.
    In fairness, i did it from work and we use a proxy.
    I retried now from home (using booth O2 and Vodafone and it sent them OK, do doubling.
    BTW, text go smoother -faster from O2 than from Vodafone-I don't know the reason

I am on O2(the number however starts with 087 but is in fact O2 network).
    I tried sending about 20 sms today and it did this on each occasion.
    In fairness, i did it from work and we use a proxy.
    I retried now from home (using booth O2 and Vodafone and it sent them OK, do doubling.
    BTW, text go smoother -faster from O2 than from Vodafone-I don't know the reason

the reason its slower for vodafone is that i don't have code for sending texts from the client for o2, it accesses a server. if you click the 'use server' link in 'settings->manage server' it'll go smooth for vodafone too.

i have no idea why its sending twice from o2 tbh, no one else has reported the problem and i've never seen it myself despite sending hundreds for testing. do your remaining texts reduce by 1 or 2 when you do it?

try changing the server in the manage server option to:
    http://mamak.eu/sms/send.php

the reason its slower for vodafone is that i don't have code for sending texts from the client for o2, it accesses a server. if you click the 'use server' link in 'settings->manage server' it'll go smooth for vodafone too.

i have no idea why its sending twice from o2 tbh, no one else has reported the problem and i've never seen it myself despite sending hundreds for testing. do your remaining texts reduce by 1 or 2 when you do it?

try changing the server in the manage server option to:
    http://mamak.eu/sms/send.php

Commander Vimes,
    Changed the server to the one provided above but it still sends me 2 texts and "chjarges me 2 texts (they reduce by two). I the message history of the application, it only registers one message as sent.

Commander Vimes,
    Changed the server to the one provided above but it still sends me 2 texts and "chjarges me 2 texts (they reduce by two). I the message history of the application, it only registers one message as sent.

that's very odd. It must have something to do with your proxy. Does it send two when you select your vodafone account with or without using the server?

I know a way of stopping it, basically since i don't know how to fix the problem directly i'm going to add a line to the server code that stops you sending the same text to the same person with a gap of less than ten seconds. I'll do it when i get home later and hopefully that'll fix the problem

• Advertisement

that's very odd. It must have something to do with your proxy. Does it send two when you select your vodafone account with or without using the server?

I know a way of stopping it, basically since i don't know how to fix the problem directly i'm going to add a line to the server code that stops you sending the same text to the same person with a gap of less than ten seconds. I'll do it when i get home later and hopefully that'll fix the problem

Vodafone and O2 act the same.
    For me, O2 is more convenient as it is enabled to send txts abroad as well.

Vodafone and O2 act the same.
    For me, O2 is more convenient as it is enabled to send txts abroad as well.

do they act the same whether you have 'use server' selected or not? I should have it fixed by tonight either way

do they act the same whether you have 'use server' selected or not? I should have it fixed by tonight either way

It sends the second message about 6 seconds later!
    Changed the server to http://mamak.eu/sms/send.php but no help.

It sends the second message about 6 seconds later!
    Changed the server to http://mamak.eu/sms/send.php but no help.

does it do it even if you uncheck the checkbox next to 'use server' when using the vodafone account? With o2 it uses the server whether the option is checked or not but with vodafone it sends it a different way.

and when you say it sends it 6 seconds later, do the messages just arrive 6 seconds apart or does the program report that its sent and how many messages are left, them start the sending process again and report another sent with a new 'messages left' number?

i've uploaded the code to a new server that i don't want to post on the main thread. i'll pm you the link

does it do it even if you uncheck the checkbox next to 'use server' when using the vodafone account? With o2 it uses the server whether the option is checked or not but with vodafone it sends it a different way.

and when you say it sends it 6 seconds later, do the messages just arrive 6 seconds apart or does the program report that its sent and how many messages are left, them start the sending process again and report another sent with a new 'messages left' number?

The text arrives about 6 seconds later.
    Iunchecked the O2 use server.
    Will let you know tomorrow if the new code does the job.
    As stated previosly, it works fine from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Latest version seems to have resolved the probs I was having with Meteor the last few days as well.

Question: is it possible to implement a feature where the program checks for updates on startup and notifies you if so?

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Latest version seems to have resolved the probs I was having with Meteor the last few days as well.

Question: is it possible to implement a feature where the program checks for updates on startup and notifies you if so?
    indeed it is. I'll have that feature in by tonight

i just put that feature in and tested it a bit. the problem is it takes about a second for the program to load every time because it has to access the download site.

i think it'd start to annoy people having to wait for the program to access a website that could be running slow every time they want to send a text, especially considering updates will become less and less frequent as all the bugs are found.

there'll (hopefully) come a stage when it only has to be updated when the networks change their sites and they only do that once a year or so. i don't think its necessary to check for an update up to 300 times a month when there's only an update once a year

so who wants the feature and who doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misho

I don't really need it, I can always check what's new checking this thread.
    Good work Commander Vimes, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Thread the update detection so that it runs in parallel with program execution. So it notifies you that there is an update when you are using the program as opposed to when starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

so who wants the feature and who doesn't?

can you make it an option somewhere in settings ? :D

Marty

p/s: where do i download the up to date version?

Slaanesh wrote: »
    Thread the update detection so that it runs in parallel with program execution. So it notifies you that there is an update when you are using the program as opposed to when starting.

can visual basic do threads? if it can then i don't know anything about them. i've thought of another way of doing it though so i'll do that instead

mart_max wrote: »
    can you make it an option somewhere in settings ? :D

Marty

p/s: where do i download the up to date version?

i'll make it an option and as i said i thought of a way not to affect the interface.

don't put up a new version at the moment. i'm doing a bit of updating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

http://sms.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx gives Service unavailable atm but unchecking the use server box works great thanks.

Drakar wrote: »
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx gives Service unavailable atm but unchecking the use server box works great thanks.

that's why i made the program in the first place :)

unfortunately o2 customers can't use it at the moment because unchecking the box does nothing for o2.

but cabaal has kindly offered to let me host my code on his server so by this evening o2 should be up and running

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've converted a few people in work to this today, there well impressed with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yeah, it's a brilliant piece of software. i've never used as much as 200 of my O2 text allowance - that was my usage last month :D. Handy as I hate typing messages on mobile! Thanks for Mr. Vimes for his great efforts.

Marty

p/s: is version 1.5 the latest one?

mart_max wrote: »
    yeah, it's a brilliant piece of software. i've never used as much as 200 of my O2 text allowance - that was my usage last month :D. Handy as I hate typing messages on mobile! Thanks for Mr. Vimes for his great efforts.

Marty

p/s: is version 1.5 the latest one?

i somehow forgot that you're hosting a working o2 script too. Anyone using o2 can use this server for the moment

http://www.mamak.eu/sms/send.php

yes 1.5 is the latest. I'm working on a new release at the moment that should be out by monday

• Advertisement

There's a new version out with a lot of new stuff in it. you can get it at the normal address:
    http://geocities.com/cabbagetexter/cabbage.zip

or at the new all singing all dancing address:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/cabbage.zip :)

all new versions will be there because geocities is crap. i can't upload it here because its too big now

the stuff i added is:
    1. you can set an option to check for an update on startup

2. i wrote a server side script for preventing the duplicate messages that regedit was getting. i'm not posting the address publicly. if anyone's having the problem, pm me or wait until i get it up onto a proper server that won't crash if everyone starts to use it

3. it comes in an installer now

4. you can check how many messages you have left. not for o2 right now but hopefully in a day or two. and you can only check with the other networks when use server isn't checked. the server script to check for all the networks is written but i have to wait for mart_max to update his server.
    @mart_max, i've uploaded the files to the usual place. you know how to get them right?

5. a better interface for choosing the server

6. a new skin

7. a few other bugs fixed

with that much added up until 05:18 there are guaranteed to be some bugs. let me know if you find any

Advertisement