Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We got a great scan privatly today - they looked at our baby and also told us the sex of our unborn child (we had gone for a genter determination scan) - we are having a girl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You were right! Congratulations :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That just wonderful! :D so happy for you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Thats great news Cathy! Guess the strong morning sickness old wifes tale was right for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Fantastic news Cathy. So pleased for you both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Brilliant news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Great News Cathy........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

congrats to you both cathy, after a tense week it great to hear you got some good news!
    makes me want to know what im having, i change my guess every week! think i'd let it slip if i found out tho:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

That's brilliant news Cathy, delighted for you. I have an appointment in the hospital tomorrow which I cant wait for to know that everything is still ok, but for us, especially OH, we want gender to be a surprise as its my first. :-)

Winnie wrote: »
    That's brilliant news Cathy, delighted for you. I have an appointment in the hospital tomorrow which I cant wait for to know that everything is still ok, but for us, especially OH, we want gender to be a surprise as its my first. :-)
    Good luck with that tomorrow - we have a big scan at 22 weeks and we booked a 4D scan for when our daughter will be 26 weeks (an early birthday present for me) from the same place that we had the scan yesterday. We have the name sorted already.

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    We have the name sorted already.

*Thinks she knows but is saying nothing :D*

Ah tell me!! I'll keep it a secret :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Das Kitty wrote: »
    *Thinks she knows but is saying nothing :D*

Wrong :P
    Its grandparent related :)
    Also related to the Film Contact, the novel Wuthering Heights and in memory of a childhood friend who died in tragic circumstances.

All will be revealed in due course, doubtlessly at the next Boards Babies outing (speaking of which- when is the next one on?) I think Moonbeam may be otherwise engaged at the moment- not sure if anyone else wants to step in and organise something? The Ikea idea was interesting- given the changeable nature of our weather- something indoors makes most sense?

S.

It does indeed make sense... hmm Ikea would be a bit far out for our southside friends that don't drive... Maybe I'll make another thread in the newborn & toddlers section asking for ideas of where? then we can decide when?? It's been a year since the first one!

Edit: Thread in main forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70110706#post70110706

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Good luck with that tomorrow - we have a big scan at 22 weeks and we booked a 4D scan for when our daughter will be 26 weeks (an early birthday present for me) from the same place that we had the scan yesterday. We have the name sorted already.

All well with baby so far thankfully, was literally in and out of hospital in about 15 mins! Have big scan at 22 weeks also on 21st Feb. Cant wait for that......so what you calling the little girl then??

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

:D:D:D7 months - officially 12 weeks left :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Ah!! Got such a fright today! Was crampy and a bit of bleeding and, not knowing what was or wasn't normal, got a bit freaked out! :eek:
    Work in Dublin 8 so went over to the Coombe, and OH ran out of work to come up and mind me. :p
    We had to wait a couple of hours, but had a scan done to check for a heartbeat. Even though I'm pretty early on and the machine wasn't great, the doctor found the little heartbeat! yay! :D
    Even feel like it's a bit more real and am actually pregnant now!
    Maybe that's why I freaked so easily... didn't feel real so felt like I was holding on to some idea that was barely there rather than an acutal teeny tiny baby. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

liliq wrote: »
    Called Holles St. and got the booking reference number etc, and have made appointments for semi- private... they said that they don't do hospital only with semi- private, only combined care?
    Apparently I'll only see the consultant once anyway for 20/22 week scan so tbh I'm not really fussed who I see!

I'm not really sure what the pros/ cons of either are... it's handy enough for me to get to either Holles street or the GP, and I know I'll get good attention in the GP, won't be rushed in and out the door, but are hospital visits any more thorough or do anything more than a GP would?
    Is fully hospital any better or worse? The only thing that is putting me off combined care is that I'd be more familiar with the hosptal and staff if I was hospital only.

Being semi private you will always see the same consultant or in his absence a stand in but from my experience that is rare.
    Do you not have a visit around 12-14 weeks? that will be the 1st time you see the consultant normally and usually a dating scan.
    I prefer the hospital visits to the gp visits at the later stages but esp on my last when I had a great gp it made no difference.

Good Luck and enjoy your pregnancy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Thanks Moonbeam!
    As far as I know I'm not going to see the consultant until week 16/18.
    My first appointment is for week 12, and that's to meet the midwife for them to take medical/ social history and bloods (only found that out yesterday as they sent me the letter confirming the appointment), but it didnt' mention anything about a scan.

I'm going to see the consultant week 16/18 for a mini scan apparently.

And then I'll have a big scan at week 20/22- I'm not sure whether this is done by a consultant or midwife- just took down notes from what the girl in the booking office was telling me as she was giving me the dates for the appointments!

In saying all that... I'm not sure what I'd be paying €900 for to only see the consultant once!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Full moon tonight...

Felt the need to share that with anyone else as impatient as me!!

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Full moon tonight...

Felt the need to share that with anyone else as impatient as me!!

Isn't there some sort of chant you can do in the full moon while rubbing your belly? I remember hearing about it when I was due.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Isn't there some sort of chant you can do in the full moon while rubbing your belly? I remember hearing about it when I was due.

Whatever about chanting- statistically if a baby is near its due date, there tend to be clusters around full moons. Similarly- A&E departments are almost 20% busier at full moon, than at other times. Hospitals in France and the US (not sure about here) deliberately roster additional staff at full moon. Don't know the reason why.

There was a full moon the day before James was born and they were very busy alright. When I mentioned the moon to them they said they never noticed. It's an odd one alright, I wonder if there is any research going on the explain the stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I don't know whether to laugh or cry... was looking at the calendar earlier and realized i was about 2 days late, didn't really worry me, since dad died my periods have been a bit all over the place ... i had a pregnancy test in a drawer and on a whim i decided to take it

I'M PREGNANT

I really do not know how to break it to my lovely husband :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

cbyrd wrote: »
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry... was looking at the calendar earlier and realized i was about 2 days late, didn't really worry me, since dad died my periods have been a bit all over the place ... i had a pregnancy test in a drawer and on a whim i decided to take it

I'M PREGNANT

How are you feeling cbyrd? At least you have all the stuff belonging to Benjamin :) The girls will be happy too!

Congrats btw!

I'M PREGNANT

You will be fine - your other children are lovely and this one will be a great addition to your brood - congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Thanks ladies.... brood is right... never thought i'd see myself with 4... now the worry that everything will be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations Cbyrd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Oh dear, Cbyrd you have me all maternal! I will be chanting "1 is enough" for the rest of the day!!!! :D

I am so delighted for you!

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies.... brood is right... never thought i'd see myself with 4... now the worry that everything will be ok :)

Congrats!!
    4 to me sounds like the perfect # but lets see if number 2 ever makes an appearance 1st;)

Still here,full moon didn't help.
    The feeling of pressure is awful but I got a lovely lie in today so not completely wrecked:)

Advertisement