Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Getting flu jab today - am 13 weeks so it should be OK now, still nervous but I can not avoid everyone. Still feeling ill which is good. Think that this little one must be a girl but do not care either way - will be finding out hopefully next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Hi ladies. Haven't been on in a few weeks. Delighted to see so many doing so well.

I'm 23 weeks now and in the past 2/3 weeks i have really taken on the shape of a heavily pregnant lady. I've 1/2 stone on so far and still 17 weeks to go! My mam and aunties were all massive and had big babies so i guess i'm going down the same road. In truth i am not enjoying the whole thing. Getting larger is quite difficult esp when i catch an image of myself in a shop window or something :o

However, the thoughts don't last long. Am feeling the baby moving now for the first time and i have to say it is amazing. I cannot wait for my husband to be able to feel it.

My mam went over by 2 weeks with me and my four siblings so i think the 11th of April will realistically be the last week in April so i have my head geared for that.

Having said that, i think the time will fly past once we get into the new year. We plan to paint a few rooms and buy in the bare essentials we need all the while i'm expanding like an inflatable ball.

My wee sister is very excited. She's 24 (I'm 31) and she can hardly contain herself. She's counting down the weeks now!:P

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Getting flu jab today - am 13 weeks so it should be OK now, still nervous but I can not avoid everyone. Still feeling ill which is good. Think that this little one must be a girl but do not care either way - will be finding out hopefully next month.

Hi Cathy, hope you don't mind me asking, Why are you getting jab? Did the doc recommend? I ask purely because it was never suggested to me but i'm not sure i'd need it either. I know lots of regnant ladies get it but is it just to ensure you don't get bad flu? Maybe you only get it when you are susceptible to flu/colds? Probably a daft question but am curious...

May79 wrote: »
    Hi Cathy, hope you don't mind me asking, Why are you getting jab? Did the doc recommend? I ask purely because it was never suggested to me but i'm not sure i'd need it either. I know lots of regnant ladies get it but is it just to ensure you don't get bad flu? Maybe you only get it when you are susceptible to flu/colds? Probably a daft question but am curious...
    Well, I am in at at risk group (diabetic) and also becase I am pregnant but there are also details here http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/newscentre/2010archive/oct2010/2010flucampaign.html

Thanks a million Cathy. It's a really interesting read. So many things to consider while pregnant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

This year's flu vaccine includes swine flu too. Pregnant women are one group that may get a lot sicker with swine flu than others. I know there hasn't been the same press about it as last winter but 10 people have died in the UK so far this year. I got my flu jab back in October, I work in a cancer hospital and they set up camp in the lobby for 2 weeks trying to get all the staff + visitors vaccinated as our patients are also an at risk population.

This year's flu vaccine includes swine flu too. Pregnant women are one group that may get a lot sicker with swine flu than others. I know there hasn't been the same press about it as last winter but 10 people have died in the UK so far this year. I got my flu jab back in October, I work in a cancer hospital and they set up camp in the lobby for 2 weeks trying to get all the staff + visitors vaccinated as our patients are also an at risk population.
    Fair dues to you for working in a cancer hospital - am an oesophogeal cancer survivor. I should have got it sooner but stupidly put it off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Today I am 13 weeks and well, only for the slight bump in my belly, I wouldnt even know I was pregnant! No symtoms at all.........apart from bigger boobs.....I guess I should be counting my blessings. I know that symtoms are meant to die down by end of first trimester but I dont have any, I nearly have to remind myself I am pregnant!! I just hope everything is still ticking away in there. Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I'm 22 weeks pregnant and only for the fact that I have seen junior jumping around on the ultrasound, I'd be wondering if it was a figment of my imagination.

I have been really lucky, no sickness/nausea, the slightest bump which could actually be mistaken for overindulging. Haven't felt any movement yet, but I'm sure that'll all change soon a will the bump.

So yes, sofar so good and halfway there. Had the anamoly scan 2 weeks ago and all is good, even know the sex of junior, so that was exciting.

With all the panic about swine flu in the Rotunda, I have booked in for the jab next week - still sitting on the fence with it, but at least I have time to back out if need be. need some advice.

Amberjack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think my babs was having it's Christmas party yesterday. It was hopping and jumping all day right up to 11pm last night. Then it decided to stick it's bum in my ribs which was a strange sensation. 34 weeks today! Def not moaning do posting here instead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Every day (all day) is party time for our little Bun, 26 weeks today and all day long I'm being kicked, poked and prodded, with the occasional somersault thrown in.

Getting more used to all this internal activity now, so it doesn't keep me awake as much as it used to. Starting to think I'll miss it after Bun is born :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Just saw a useful site for all the moms here - all about big babies http://www.bigbaby.org.uk/

Hi all.
    Baby kicking loads now. It's unbelievable. Its my first pregnancy and i wouldn't belive it would be so amazing. 24 weeks / 6 months today. I am getting to be a big girl now. I think the weight is restricted tot he top of my legs and the bit of my back that hangs out over the jeans!!! Some serious on the spot work to do when this little one is out and pround!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

may79, im on my first too and im getting loads of kicks, its the most amazing feeling in the world, im having a horrible time but this movement makes it all worthwhile, just cant wait for may to come when i can meet the little one thats doing all the kicking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

Hey guys,

Figured this thread would be best to begin my posting on this forum! :)

So I'm 19 weeks pregnant (in my 20th week, as I prefer to say because it makes it feels like I'm further gone). All seems to be going well apart and due my next scan on the 10th of January. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

shivvyban wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I'm 19 weeks pregnant (in my 20th week, as I prefer to say because it makes it feels like I'm further gone). All seems to be going well apart and due my next scan on the 10th of January. :)

Almost half way :) well done and congrats..

melsbells wrote: »
    may79, im on my first too and im getting loads of kicks, its the most amazing feeling in the world, im having a horrible time but this movement makes it all worthwhile, just cant wait for may to come when i can meet the little one thats doing all the kicking:D

I totally agree - Feeling the baby moving is amazing. Can't wait for hubby to feel it. Another cuple of weeks and i think baby will be that bit stronger and showing us what it's made of!!! Congratulations on your first pregnancy too. :D I hope the discomfort eases for you. It really is not pleasant at times. As you said, it will all be worthwhile in the end.

shivvyban wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Congratulations shivvyban. You will be 20 weeks before you know it. Then you can begin the countdown ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kco2010

Hi All, Pretty new to this thread but need to vent if thats okay. Just found out I am 4wk 2days and am a bit scared as I suffered a m/c at 6weeks in July of this year. Feel like crawling into bed for next few weeks (if I could) and not moving but I know im just being silly. Trying to stay calm but its constantly in the back of my mind. Have no symptoms this time whereas could smell a chocolate bar from 5 miles away and really tender breasts the last time. This waiting to see what happens would drive a saint to distraction! Am I losing it? :)

kco2010 wrote: »
    Hi All, Pretty new to this thread but need to vent if thats okay. Just found out I am 4wk 2days and am a bit scared as I suffered a m/c at 6weeks in July of this year. Feel like crawling into bed for next few weeks (if I could) and not moving but I know im just being silly. Trying to stay calm but its constantly in the back of my mind. Have no symptoms this time whereas could smell a chocolate bar from 5 miles away and really tender breasts the last time. This waiting to see what happens would drive a saint to distraction! Am I losing it? :)
    Am sorry for your loss. I know how scary it is but all pregnancies are different - you could pay for a private early scan so that you could see how things are proceeding.

15 weeks today - my husband reads this thread and I just wanted to wish him happy wedding anniversary tomorrow. Still having nausea, food cravings (at the moment it is cheese), backache, fatigue and a few other symptoms that I forget at the moment (memory loss is one of them)...still happy to be pregnant. Am getting very attached to this little person inside of me - am very emotional and love when the little one kicks but panic when they sleep. I think that finally I look pregnant now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hi All :)

Wow, what a week it's been.. Only home today :o

Went in to be induced on the 22nd at 8am.. By 4.15PM they broke my waters and it was full of mekonium, was rushed up to the delivery suite and given my epidural straight away and they started me on a drip to speed things up... By around 12am it was clear that nothing was progressing and my temperature was rising rapidly so they decided to do an emergency C Section..

My son Cillian was born at 1.30am on the 23rd weighing in at hefty 8lb 11oz :D and perfect in every way :D Daddy cried his heart out for the entire operation.. Awwww

I couldn't see him for the first hour as I had to go ICU to recover from the op.. it was the longest hour of my life.. but we were reunited shortly after and Daddy got to feed and care for him while I was away..

Why am I only getting home today?? They found Strep B in my placenta which was the reason my temp was escalating, the labour must have disturbed the bug and they had to keep us in to treat the baby for it with antibiotics.. Luckily he was just fine, no sign of the bug in him but they didn't want to take any chances..

Oh yeah, and I had a bad reaction to the epidural, had to have a repeat of it done on Xmas morning, only they injected my own blood into my back instead of the anaesthetic, aparently there was a small air lock or something left in my spine and had to be filled in.. I was suffering with crippling headaches all day on Xmas Eve and could hardly lift my head to see to the baby :( great fun..

But overall I'd have to say it's been the best week of my life and he is worth every little bit of pain and suffering and I'd do it again in a heartbeat :D

And here he is....

cillian.jpg

Edit: Sorry about the size of the pic.. If any mods know how to resize it, please feel free..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

He's absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations.

Sounds like a very stressful few days. Hope everything is ok now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Congrats xzanti! Was thinking of you all Christmas. What a lovely little guy you have!

Xzanti - He is gorgeous like his mummy.

Was out most of the day celebrating our wedding anniversary - had a really nice meal out and then did a bit of shopping, all being paid for by my husband - hard to believe that it is 4 years, that I am still here (was very ill when we married) and that we have come so far since - I never dreamed that I would be a mother of a wonderful son the image of his daddy, let alone expecting another little one. Bump is showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

brilliant news xzanti, but you really were put through the mill. Amazing how you never have a clue how things are going to turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Gorgeous baby Xanti!!!
    First time posting here :D
    I am also 4 weeks, and have little to no symptoms. Sore boobs last week but its abaiting now. Niggly headache and some weird poppiing and twinging in my abdomen.
    OH and myself are off to GP tomorrow to confirm what many pregnancy home tests have already told us. I don't really know what to expect. Should we have a list of questions or something? Will they take a family history now or blood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

he is lovely xanti! congrats, and hope you recover quickly. Hope dh has a few weeks off to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Xzanti, Congratulation on your beautiful son. He is so lovely. Really big boy!!! The best Christmas present every. Enjoy every second.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Jinxi - on the 1st doctors visit they do not really do anyhting except sometimes confirm that you are pregnant,write a letter ot a hospital for you and ask you to fill out a combined care card.
    You most probably need to educate yourself about hospital options etc.
    Have you decided on a hospital?
    Their websites are quite good for prices and options,public is of course free and midwife led units are worth looking in to.
    Congrats:)

Xzanti - woo hoo:) well done and welcome Cillian.I love the name.Hope you are recovering well.

Cathy - Happy Anniversary:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats xzanti. He's gorgeous!

Advertisement