Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Congratulations xzanti - He's GORGEOUS! Delighted for you x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Huge Congrats Xzanti!! He is beautiful, sorry for everything you had to go through but what a Xmas pressie eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Congratulations Xzanti. Beautiful baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Congrats, xzanti he is beautiful, sounds like you had a hard time, but worth it in the end.

The epidural didn't work on my aunt and she had the headache for ages after. So you spent xmas in hospital after all. Hope you had the best xmas ever, you certainly got the best xmas pressent ;)

Congrats to daddy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Congrats xzanti!

Haven't had time to read all the updates yet.... My daughter was born early on Thursday morning, 9lb 6oz so she's not even like a newborn!. Labour was very long, had drama with the epidural as well-apparently it worked too well causing mine and babies bp to drop. But we got there eventually and she's a perfect little thing.

Trying to breastfeed and she stays on for four or five hours at a time, but then sleeps for the same amount so it's not too bad.

Thought I'd miss bring pregnant but just enjoying having her here too much for the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all,

Just did a test today and found out am 3weeks+. Am delighted but also feeling pretty terrified all of a sudden (my first!) Have realised I don't really know what to do or what to expect.

Any calming advice would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

First of all.........Congratulations!! I am also pregnant with my first and it's quite scary when you see the positive results for the first time......Dont panic, go to your local GP to have it confirmed, although he may just take your word for it like mine did. Start thinking about what hospital you would like to register with and basically..........sit, relax and try take in the fantastic news yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

First pregnancy here too. As Winnie said, think about how and where you want to give birth... depending on where you live in the country a Home Birth might also be an option for you.

Other than that just stay calm, take good care of yourself and get as much rest and relaxation as you can.

Congratulations and best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks a million for the responses - they helped to focus the mind quite a bit! Am heading off to the GP this evening to get the ball rolling as such. Also went and got myself The Irish Pregnancy Book yesterday and found that it calmed the nerves quite a bit.
    Still finding it hard to believe though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Had a hospital visit this morning, I didn't get to see the consultant because she didn't turn up :rolleyes:

I asked the doctor about birthing plans and she said its not the Coombe's policy to follow birthing plans. Does anyone have experience of delivery in the Coombe and whether or not you had a birthing plan?

I fully understand that birthing plans can go out the window depending on how labour progresses and how mum and baby are coping but I'd still like to be able to outline what my preferences are in terms of labour, interventions, fetal monitoring etc.

I'm still going to do one up and have it in my file on the day for the midwives but just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of the Coombe and birthing plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 kco2010

Hi All, 5wk 6 today. Symptoms come and go from day to day, really weird. Had m/c in July and had every symptom in the book back then so am a little paranoid! Taking it day by day. Am I correct in saying the earliest scan that you could get that would show anything would be almost 7 weeks? When should I start thinking about what hospital, treatment I should go for? Is it right that the combined care is cheaper than just consultant? So many questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Hi kco2010,
    I am the exact same.5w4ds Its like I am queasy every other day. Sometimes I feel great, sometimes I'm tired. A couple of cramps/twinges every now and then. Yesterday I started out constipated, had the runs by the evening(tmi....sorry).
    The only constant symptom I have had is the crazy need to eat when I am hungry, like my body is screaming FOOD.....NOW!!! If I try and wait at all I feel sick!
    Of course it probably doesn't help that I am analysing everything

How Strange, that is what I am dreading. A hospital who ignores my wishes, because they have a "policy" or "schedule". I am going to do up a very simple birth plan...ask me before you do anything. My partner is the one who is going to get the detailed instructions. I have warned him that I will need him to be the strong one if I am indisposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kco2010

Jinx I am exactly the same. If I am hungry and don't eat asap, I feel sick and dizzy! So weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Had a hospital visit this morning, I didn't get to see the consultant because she didn't turn up :rolleyes:

I asked the doctor about birthing plans and she said its not the Coombe's policy to follow birthing plans. Does anyone have experience of delivery in the Coombe and whether or not you had a birthing plan?

I fully understand that birthing plans can go out the window depending on how labour progresses and how mum and baby are coping but I'd still like to be able to outline what my preferences are in terms of labour, interventions, fetal monitoring etc.

I'm still going to do one up and have it in my file on the day for the midwives but just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of the Coombe and birthing plans.

I wouldn't bring a birthing plan. What I did was I sat down with my partner a week or so in advance of D day and told him what my preferences were and that if they weren't being followed when I asked them not to do something then he'd need to speak up and make it clear that those were my wishes. Just go with the flow on the day. (I had my second daughter in the Coombe)

On my first daughter I went in with a birth plan and had to throw it all out the window when I was induced because her heart rate was dropping at every contraction and ended up in an emergency section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Just back from antenatal class with Doreen Buckley. Fantastic. Couldn't recommend it enough.

We had our antenatal class in the Coombe yesterday and it was great. The midwife was lovely and very down to earth. She mentioned birth plans and how we should all include one with our records as it gives them an idea of what kind of birth we want in terms of interventions, pain relief etc.
    I mentioned what the consultant said and she said that the Coombe definitely do follow birth plans but of course if depends on how the labour and delivery goes.

As I said before I'm realistic and I understand that if we don't have a straightforward labour or if I need to be induced etc then it may not go as I prefer but still I feel its a good idea to outline my preferences even down to things such as cutting the umbilical cord.

Its actually one of the main reasons I'd recommend participating in the hospital run ante natal classes because the midwives explain what the hospital policies are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

How Strange, do you mean that you want your husband to cut the cord? As far as I know they don't allow that in the Coombe (thread on another parenting site discussed it and it wasn't offered while I was there).

If you mean letting the cord finish pulsing before cutting it then that should be fine.

How Strange, do you mean that you want your husband to cut the cord? As far as I know they don't allow that in the Coombe (thread on another parenting site discussed it and it wasn't offered while I was there).

If you mean letting the cord finish pulsing before cutting it then that should be fine.
    No, definitely not. I'm not that crazy! I'd like them to let it finish pulsating before its cut.

Also, I was very relieved to hear they put the baby on the mothers chest straightaway for skin to skin contact.

I suppose in general if you're not meeting the midwives at the hospital visits, and I'm not, its great to be able to find out what they encourage during labour and delivery and in fairness I was really delighted to hear that they are reasonably progressive in their approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Hi all just back from my big scan...

Alls well midwife was even surprised at how clearly she could she babs whos head was already way down there!!

I was pretty nervous going in on my own - to early for my mother to come and OH had an exam he couldnt miss but it went amazingly got about 5 photos of our lil one so cant wait to show him later :D

Also got bumped up by two days so due 23rd of May now so exactly 21wks today

Found out were having a little girl and Im delighted i couldnt believe it as I did the ring test which said boy and had a huge feeling it was a boy before christmas who have known eh Also went to two fortune tellers who also said it was a boy, am delighted was secretly hoping for a girl :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Having some bleeding, almost 17 weeks at this stage...can not contact husband, I need him.

• Advertisement

Ah Cathy, try to keep calm. Is it possible for you to go to bed so you're resting?

Ah Cathy, try to keep calm. Is it possible for you to go to bed so you're resting?
    Contacted husband and rang hospital. They said that they would have to do an internal which I am not willing to do so it looks like I will just have to wait - my pregnancy is considered very high risk and I did have a brief scan last Friday - wait and see. Can not rest as we have a wonderful 9 month old son who needs me.

I've fingers and toes crossed for you that everything will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Everything crossed for you here too CathyMoran.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hopefully junior is just keeping you on your toes.

When's your next scan?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Hopefully junior is just keeping you on your toes.

When's your next scan?
    Have one Friday week with the hospital but a gender determination scan on Sunday. Had bleeding around the same time with our son baby Shane. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Cathy i presume they mean an internal scan? not actually internal more cervical not intrusive. might be worth it to ease your mind or go to gp and get the doppler run over you?

lynski wrote: »
    Cathy i presume they mean an internal scan? not actually internal more cervical not intrusive. might be worth it to ease your mind or go to gp and get the doppler run over you?
    They said that they would have to use a speculum and I have a problem with them. The gp does not have any scanning machines and I would not feel comfortable going to her about any womens issues as she is ultraconservative. I just have to wait but it is not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lynski wrote: »
    ...might be worth it to ease your mind or go to gp and get the doppler run over you?

Speaking of GP's and dopplers, how did you get on today?

It's a telling sign when the father has to ask on an internet forum for an update!

:)

icon_Sph33r.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

cheeky!

Advertisement