Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I have to say, your post about the size 22 knickers has scared me a little, and made me giggle :D

haha it depresses me. I actually just am home from hospital/tescos where I, with no shame, picked up another pack of the size 22 underwear. because its the most comfortable thing i own right now. I could probably use the damn things as moses basket sheets after i have the baby :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Rach it's mad isn't it! Ya can't wait for a bump and then as lovely as it is to e pregnant it just gets in the way!
    I get the 'is she isn't she looks' lol cause I only had a baby 11 months ago I think people are afraid to ask me but I look very much pregnant! I took a photo last week and compared it to the same stage on my son and thought I wasn't as big as then, 2 days later it just took a massive stretch and I look way bigger now :o I was in at the hospital 3 weeks ago and they told me he was on the bigger side of normal and I'm back next week and I have a feeling he's gonna be massive! I think I'm bruing and other 10lb er!

How long do you have left now Rach?

Best if luck tomorrow Murdy! Hope you get a lovely look at your little bean :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The best bits of being pregnant are 1) not trying to! 2)the bump and 3)the baby at the end!
    I could do with out the rest of it!
    I am not a huge person so my bump is still neat but I have knocked the 1,2 and 3 year old over with it more then once!
    They also have horrible habits of running head first in to it:(

Did I mention I want a huge bump? I get bump envy every pregnancy!!!lol

3rd hospital appt ever tomorrow 36 +2 today,hopefully 2 more weeks to go \o/

Trying to empty and fill the dishwasher is nearly impossible now:(

yeah....i had a cute bump for a few weeks there....but it didn't stop growing! I used to get those "oh your so neat and tidy" comments....now I get the "WOW how much longer, oh poor you comments" :mad:

But another 10 pounder?? oh boy! i hope for your sake he stays in the 7-8 pound range! lol and just when you think that you are getting away with something, these babies love to show us up! It starts early i guess haha!

I have a week and a half until my due date....but from how the consultant was talking today I could likely hang in there until they induce me on christmas day. cue tears from me. my mom gets to ireland the 27th of december...If i dont go in until christmas day I will be one upset lady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

10 lbs :eek: Towards the end of your pregnancy do they tell you what weight the baby will likely be? can they guess accurately? I was looking at baby clothes over the weekend and they had all these different sizes for newborns (tiny baby and newborn and 0 - 3 months). How do you know what to buy to bring to the hospital with you?

• Advertisement

when you get your scans done they do measurements which give you a rough estimate of the weight. so at 31 weeks mine was 3 lb 9 oz.....at 34 weeks he was nearly 6 lbs! you can roughly figure out final weight from there because after around 32-33 weeks they gain a half pound a week until around 38-39 weeks where they pretty much stay the same. But its really just an educated guess at the end of the day. Ive heard of many many people who were told they were going to have a 10 pounder and baby came out not even 8 pounds!
    What we have done is purchased a few early baby (very little) and a bunch of 0-3....if we need more, then we will buy more of whatever we need at the time. And have packed both just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

10 lbs :eek: Towards the end of your pregnancy do they tell you what weight the baby will likely be? can they guess accurately? I was looking at baby clothes over the weekend and they had all these different sizes for newborns (tiny baby and newborn and 0 - 3 months). How do you know what to buy to bring to the hospital with you?

It depends on the hospital. Wexford have a 'no scan unless something is wrong' policy, meaning you get one scan at around 20 weeks and that's it. At 20 weeks I was told my baby was two weeks ahead in terms of size, but even with that no one has since said anything about size or even checked my weight at the hospital.

I asked at 37 weeks what they reckon the baby size is and all I got was 'a good size'. Not helping much with the shopping, so we bought some newborn and some bigger sizes, seeing it will grow into the bigger sizes soon enough anyway.

Thanks ladies, I just wasn't sure how you'd know because some of the clothes had weights on them (like tiny baby was for 5lbs). I guess buying a small amount in the newborn size just in case and more in the bigger size makes sense, because you just never know.

I had loads of fun looking at all the little clothes anyway, so cute! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Watch out as different shops have different new born sizes.
    I think Dunnes is up to 7lb 6 and Tesco is up to 11lb.
    The Tesco stuff is way superior.
    I bought a packet of newborn vests and baby gros and the rest 0-3 months.
    Buy the snowsuits in 0-3 months rather then newborn.

Baby clothes are so adorable.
    Next do the best but are the most expensive,Tesco and M & S would be the next best.
    If you can find vests that button up the front they make life alot easier too.
    Buy plenty of little socks to put under baby gros and stuff in the the cold and they double up as scratch mitts or mittens:)

From 18 weeks on my last pregnancy they told me he was big ad measured every 6 weeks and they guessed a few days before my delivery that he was about 5kg and he came out 4.4kg! So they were fairly on target with me.. They're hoping this one will be in the 7-8lb range but I just can't imagine how I'd have a 10lb baby and then a 7lb baby lol!
    Murdy I've a very tall family and when my son was born he was just shy of 2 foot long so we knew he'd never fit in newborn clothes and so we only bought 0-3 in sizes and he only lasted 3 weeks (I think) in them, he wasn't mad chubby like you'd expect a 10lb baby to be he was just so long! Just go with a few of each and then when you have him/her you'll have a great day out going shopping for clothes and pushing baby around :) that's what we did!

Moonbeam, did you go early on your other 3 babies? Don't be bump envy lol be thankful! Have ya everything ready now that you're so close?

Rach Yey only a few days left :) get bouncing on those gym balls lol! I really hope you don't have to go in on Xmas Day.. My son is 27th Dec.. You just never know, maybe baby will arrive before your due date :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Omg! I just got 3 full hours of pure uninterupted sleep this afternoon. :-D

Thumby wrote: »
    Omg! I just got 3 full hours of pure uninterupted sleep this afternoon. :-D

Wow! Any tips?

Well I decided that on the way to crèche to collect my son that I'd pop into Aldi and get some milk, I slipped outside and now the pain in my back is worse than ever :(

Oh no tigress you poor thing. My dad has gone to dunnes for me. I really would be lost without him. He rings/calls over every evening to see if i need anything.
    I'd put my little one up for her nap, because she's in a big girls bed now she usually plays around her room for a bit before takin her two hour nap. I think the exhaustion of the last while just hit me and i guess i just passed out the min i lay down on the couch.
    Had a chat with my x after i woke up and he's fully behind me on pushing for an early induction/section, which ever the hospital will do. I really am lucky when it comes to that man. He was trying to convince me to go down to his and have a bath tonight (i only have showers in my place) lol. I'm half afraid i'll get stuck in the feckin thing though :-(

Just went off on one at my husband about the "royal baby"' - he loves the royal family. I'm so bitter about it! There was footage of Kate Middleton out a few days ago and she looked alright to me and now she's in hospital with acute morning sickness? Makes me so bitter and twisted because I've been so ill the last 6 weeks and I've had to go into fecking work every day looking like a walking corpse, puking all over Dublin and pretending to be fine - nobody but me and my hubby cared, GP basically told me to suck it up. It looks like you need to be a princess and then you get the best of care.

I'm so evil and bitter - I feel like a bad person to be annoyed about it! :) She probably is really sick and god knows, I know how horrible that is.

If you loose over 10% of your body weight your gp begins to care:)

*hugs*

Pregnancy is awful!!!! so is childbirth btw;) but kids are lovely and wonderful:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    If you loose over 10% of your body weight your gp begins to care:)

*hugs*

Pregnancy is awful!!!! so is childbirth btw;) but kids are lovely and wonderful:)

I worked it out the other day, I've lost 7% of my body weight so not quite there. However the good news is my morning sickness is almost gone. I'm eating again and only vomited once today. It's a miracle. I feel like a million dollars today! ( but am still bitter and evil)

(((hugs))) murdy. You're not bitter and evil at all. It's a perfectly normal reaction. I was the same this time round, i couldn't keep anything down the odd time i was able to eat for the first 14 weeks. I was shocked because i'd never had proper morning sickness on any of my others. I was losing weight like there was no tomorrow despite having a massive full pregnancy bump from the get go. At 9 weeks i looked like i was about 5 months. Talk to your midwife/hospital about it if your gp is just brushing off your concerns. I've only recently started putting weight up, (was only 3lbs heavier than prepregnancy at 25 weeks) and i was bang on what i should have been before hand, but between the 3 weeks from 25weeks to my 28 week check up i had put on another 10lbs. I'm still at least half a stone underweight for minimal weight gain for how far gone i am but it's slowly creeping up so don't worry too much (easier said than done i know). But until you hit the 10% mark as moonbeam said there's not much else you can do for now. But you will start putting it up, it sounds like it's just gonna take a bit of time.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'll let the hosp know today at my booking in appointment about the weight loss and the illness but I reckon as the nausea has mostly lifted ( as long as I don't let my tummy get empty) they won't be too worried. I can take my vitamins again too which makes me feel a lot better (before I couldn't swallow them so was taking the little mini folic acid ones on their own).

I still feel bad for being so annoyed about fecking Kate Middleton - I just think fair play to real women who are violently ill and have to carry on with their lives because they have no choice. They're the real role models! Bet she never vomited on herself while driving home from work (yes, this happened to me - twice!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I wouldn't be Kate Middleton for all the tea in China. Imagine being pregnant for the first time with the heir to the british throne and the whole world and it's mother speculating on your every move.

I prob wouldn't have had much sympathy for her beforeI got pregnant myself and I generally have no interest in the Royal family but I really feel for her. I would say the pressure on her is unbelievable. If anything happened to that baby imagine how public that would be!

Exactly hun. Take pride in the fact that as sick as you've been you're still getting on with everything and not letting it stop you from doing your every day things. What time/where have you got your booking in appointment?

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »
    I prob wouldn't have had much sympathy for her beforeI got pregnant myself and I generally have no interest in the Royal family but I really feel for her. I would say the pressure on her is unbelievable. If anything happened to that baby imagine how public that would be!

I agree with that one, I wouldn't fancy being her myself at all. I do feel bad for her about the lack of privacy and that they had to tell everyone before 12 weeks. That's part of the reason for it getting my back up so much. Sky news last night only had news about morning sickness (interviewing women who had had it and the like) and her pregnancy hour after hour. She's not the first woman to be very ill and she won't be the last but it's already become an obsesssion with the media instead of letting her get on with it and get over it.

Booking in appointment is this evening in Holles Street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I agree with that one, I wouldn't fancy being her myself. I do feel bad for her about the lack of privacy and that they had to tell everyone before 12 weeks. That's part of the reason for it getting my back up. Sky news last night only had news about morning sickness (interviewing women who had had it and the like) and her pregnancy. She's not the first woman to be very ill and she won't be the last but it's already become an obsesssion with the media instead of letting her get on with it.

Nope I completely agree with you there. The media are having a field day, it is turning into a circus, especially the daily mail (which is a rag anyway). When they got married it was as if it were the first wedding and now you would think she were the only woman in the world to get pregnant. I feel for her as a person though...not the media circus surrounding her. I would imagine a few days escape in the hospital will do her good!

Completely agree with ye there. The first trimester is is difficult enough when it's just a very small few that know and particuluarly if heaven forbid the pregnancy ends. That's almost beyond impossible to deal with, but jesus the pressure alone is enough to put anyone under a severe amount of stress and strain. My heart does go out to the girl alright but, and i know this sounds bad, i just don't understand how they weren't able to keep it between just the two of them. I mean they have a fair idea of how much of a media circus it would turn into and how easily things get out in that family so i would have thought that they might have held off on telling anyone until they were past the 12 week mark. But then again, she has been admitted to hospital so i suppose it would have come out eventually. I just don't think it's very fair on either of them.

I think if you have serious morning sickness it's hard to hide your pregnancy, no matter who you are. Loads of people know I'm pregnant (at work and things) just because I've been so ill that it becomes obvious pretty quickly. I guess if she is really ill she won't be able to do any public appointments for the next few weeks so they figured it would turn into a media speculation, might as well just tell them now. That's my guess anyway.

Digs wrote: »
    I would imagine a few days escape in the hospital will do her good!

Ya would think that alright but the way they are carrying on, unless she completely stays away from tv/internet/radio etc it would probably still get to her. Imagain not being able to turn on anything/check anything without something regarding your pregnancy being specualted on constantly.
    I get that people have a fasicination with the royals and all that but jesus some common decency is called for. At the end of the day they are still just people and are entitled to a certain level of privacy despite who they happen to be.

Very ture murdy, i guess it's just the cynical part of me that is thinkin how bad is her morning sickness actually? I mean so far all i've seen is specualtion that it's hypermesis (sp?) and not an acutal confirmation from anyone... Like you said, if you're a princess you automatically get put straight into hospital etc whereas every other woman just gets on with it until it is blatently obvious that something serious is going on.
    (jaysus i sound like a right biatch this morning) sorry ladies.

Very ture murdy, i guess it's just the cynical part of me that is thinkin how bad is her morning sickness actually? I mean so far all i've seen is specualtion that it's hypermesis (sp?) and not an acutal confirmation from anyone... Like you said, if you're a princess you automatically get put straight into hospital etc whereas every other woman just gets on with it until it is blatently obvious that something serious is going on.
    (jaysus i sound like a right biatch this morning) sorry ladies.

That's why I felt like a bitch yesterday for getting annoyed because I was really sceptical- she was out and about last Friday at her old school and there's footage of her playing hockey. At my worst I couldn't move from my desk to the printer without getting sick. Maybe she's just the consummate professional and she was able to cover it well but I certainly wouldn't have been able to do anything remotely like that.

Maybe she's just in hospital for a bit of peace! Don't know why I'm getting so worked up about it really, sure I'm as bad as the media. I'm blaming hormones!! :D

That's why I felt like a bitch yesterday for getting annoyed because I was really sceptical- she was out and about last Friday at her old school and there's footage of her playing hockey. At my worst I couldn't move from my desk to the printer without getting sick. Maybe she's just the consummate professional and she was able to cover it well but I certainly wouldn't have been able to do anything remotely like that.

Maybe she's just in hospital for a bit of peace! Don't know why I'm getting so worked up about it really, sure I'm as bad as the media. I'm blaming hormones!! :D

That's exactly what it is. The hormones turn some of us into totally different people altogether. My x got nto the habit of callin me hormonal helena (as a joke) if i took something way tomuch to heart tryin to lighten the mood. Needless to say it didn't work and i'd end up startin massive fights over it. Funnily enough that's the only thing we'd fight about. It's now on the banned list of things not to say to me hahahaha

That's exactly what it is. The hormones turn some of us into totally different people altogether. My x got nto the habit of callin me hormonal helena (as a joke) if i took something way tomuch to heart tryin to lighten the mood. Needless to say it didn't work and i'd end up startin massive fights over it. Funnily enough that's the only thing we'd fight about. It's now on the banned list of things not to say to me hahahaha

Ha! Not sure if my hubby would be brave enough to go there. I may have to tell him about your banned list and pre-empt him! Apparently I'm "very snappy" at the moment. He told me last night he almost preferred me when I was sick because I didn't talk back! Cheeky fecker :)

• Advertisement

Ha! Not sure if my hubby would be brave enough to go there. I may have to tell him about your banned list and pre-empt him! Apparently I'm "very snappy" at the moment. He told me last night he almost preferred me when I was sick because I didn't talk back! Cheeky fecker :)

My x felt safe cause we werent' living together lmao. We only split a couple of months ago, we were best friends and well we tried the relationship thing, didn't work but he's still sticking to the banned list rules cause he knows what will happen if he doesn't. Late night phone calls sending him to tescos for cravings for starters (even if i'm not craving anything at the time) hehehehehe we have a 24 hour tesco here so it could be very late night calls.
    Plus i have him warned that i will be taking vengence when i'm in labour cause there's nothing he can do about it so he's being very well behaved :D

(i'm not evil i swear)

Advertisement