Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

Thumby wrote: »
    The thing i'm terrified of getting is an episiotomy.

Yes me too! Been scared of that since I got pregnant!
    The thought alone makes me feel queasy, though I have heard its not as bad as it sounds and ya don't feel it being done etc. still don't want one though.

I gave the perenial massage ago - it didn't go well. I can barely reach down there and can't stand the thought of OH doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Tigerton it's quite icky but i didn't want to tear and there was no way I'd have consented to an episiotomy so I stuck with it. It gets easier (though not less pleasant!) as you do it more often.

Interesting stats on the episiotomies. It was the one thing I was adamant about. I was not getting cut and it was in my birth plan that I definitely didn't consent to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Ladies (feel like I'm asking loads of questions here, sorry!) - I have my first appointment in Holles Street next week and have just been looking at their website to get some details. It says 'There are 10 rooms in the delivery ward, 9 individual rooms, one twin room and an assessment room'. Does that mean that you might be in a room giving birth with someone else in there? and her birthing partner etc? Something about that really freaks me out. I thought even going public you'd get privacy at least while giving birth - or am I just reading it wrong?

I don't like the idea of someone else giving birth at the same time as me in the same room at all. What if all the rooms are full - where do you give birth then?!! :eek: I'm a bit worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Ladies (feel like I'm asking loads of questions here, sorry!) - I have my first appointment in Holles Street next week and have just been looking at their website to get some details. It says 'There are 10 rooms in the delivery ward, 9 individual rooms, one twin room and an assessment room'. Does that mean that you might be in a room giving birth with someone else in there? and her birthing partner etc? Something about that really freaks me out. I thought even going public you'd get privacy at least while giving birth - or am I just reading it wrong?

I don't like the idea of someone else giving birth at the same time as me in the same room at all. What if all the rooms are full - where do you give birth then?!! :eek: I'm a bit worried now.

I ended up with a section so didn't apply but when I did my tour of the labour ward they told me they always try to have you on your own - it's only in extremely busy circumstances tod deliver in the double room - or even worse the corridor ;)
    She said you get prioritised the further you are - so if your at 8cm they'll get u into a private room as soon as ones free!
    Don't worry - they really are great in holles st :)

dublinlady wrote: »
    I ended up with a section so didn't apply but when I did my tour of the labour ward they told me they always try to have you on your own - it's only in extremely busy circumstances tod deliver in the double room - or even worse the corridor ;)
    She said you get prioritised the further you are - so if your at 8cm they'll get u into a private room as soon as ones free!
    Don't worry - they really are great in holles st :)

Oh god, the thought of giving birth in a corridor! :eek: Although, I have been told that you get to a stage where you just don't care who is looking down there! Fingers crossed there's not too many babies due in June though. :)

Thanks for the reassurance anyway - I'll try not to think about it again. It's out of my control!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was adamant that I wasn't getting an epi due to the risk of compliations and the fact that I wanted to use the amazing birth centre. But due to Sam being back to back my labour went very slowly and I was exhausted and in complete agony by the time I started to dilate, over 60 hours after labour started so I went to the hospital and requested the epi. The worst part of it was that it was put in by a doctor in training, so I was both terrified he'd screw it up and damage my back and it took forever for him to get it done. But once it was in it was amazing. I could watch my contractions on the monitor and see that they were about 3 times stronger than the most unbearable ones a few hours before and I felt nothing. I was so happy with it we looked up the person who invented the epi as pain relief for labour so we could call our baby after him if he didn't look like a Sam when he was born. (Luckily he looked like Sam as I'd have hated to saddle him for life with Waldo.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

Oh god, the thought of giving birth in a corridor! :eek: Although, I have been told that you get to a stage where you just don't care who is looking down there! Fingers crossed there's not too many babies due in June though. :)

Thanks for the reassurance anyway - I'll try not to think about it again. It's out of my control!

I can honestly say I wouldn't have cared if I was in the carpark!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I really don't think it's right in a supposed 1st world country that anyone should have to give birth in the corridor (even if by that stage they don't care) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

In a way I'm more afraid of a natural birth than a section! It's weird I know but with a section I know what to expect! It's like being a new time Mum all over again lol!
    I'm using the tens on my back at the mo and I don't know if anyone has used one for labour or thinking of it?! It's really weird sensation but weirdly relaxing too! Although my little guy doesn't like it so much lol!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I loved my tens machine in early labour and it was the only thing that got me through my last night at home. If S had been turned the right way, I might have managed with just that or water.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I loved my tens machine in early labour and it was the only thing that got me through my last night at home. If S had been turned the right way, I might have managed with just that or water.

I'll definatley be keeping it to hand! It's an odd sensation but the relief I'm getting from my back while I have it on is amazing! I'd completely recommend it ladies! Saying that the pains come back as soon as I take it off but if if its helping now I know I'll be using it in labour! Pity it doesn't work for your hips aswell lol!

I finally have everything for the baby washed and ironed so all I need to do is pack my bags! I'm hoping to have it all done early next week! Only 5 weeks and 2 days to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Tigeress wrote: »
    I'll definatley be keeping it to hand! It's an odd sensation but the relief I'm getting from my back while I have it on is amazing! I'd completely recommend it ladies! Saying that the pains come back as soon as I take it off but if if its helping now I know I'll be using it in labour! Pity it doesn't work for your hips aswell lol!

I finally have everything for the baby washed and ironed so all I need to do is pack my bags! I'm hoping to have it all done early next week! Only 5 weeks and 2 days to go..

I'm happy to hear your back is feeling better!! Its amazing how much back pain incapacitates you! I have so much more sympathy for chronic pain sufferers now....i had no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Morning ladies. How be everyone doing today?
    Have to say i'm slightly shocked with the whole spd thing. It was mild enough you could say, i was still able to do stuff around the house and walk etc, i'd be in bits afterwards but now its just gotten really bad really quickly, even when i'm sitting down its acting up. I'm not back to the hospital till the 14th of this month and my doc is leaving them to deal with it.
    11 weeks 6 days left though so not that long left, no one can see me going past 36 weeks though :-D

Thanks Rach :) think I spoke too soon though cause I'm in bits again today...

Thumby that's awful hun, I know how you feel! I was completely managing it then all of a sudden I felt like I was knocked for 6! How are you coping with the other kiddies aswell? Why do you think 36 weeks?! Wish I went early lol.. 35 weeks tomorrow!

Aww tigress it's horrible isn't? I'm lucky enough my older 2 (13 and 8) are great with doing bits around the house. The heavy stuff i just don't bother doing. The place is getting hoovered once a week now instead of everyday. And do ya know i realised? I didn't need to be hoovering everyday day in the first place lol. Thankfully my little one is well able for the stairs so i don't need to be lifting/carrying her. Although showering her is ummm "fun" shall we say.
    Have you managed to find anything effective with handling the pain? I'm still struggling a bit with that, particularly when the bean kicks/punches anywhere from what's left of my bellybutton downwards?
    Oh the 36 weeks is coming from my history of delivering early, my docs opinion, the midwifes opinion and there is just not going to be enough room for babs after that. My 3yr old (well almost) i was induced 2weeks+2 early due to complications ans she was 6lbs12. My 8 yr old my waters broke 2weeks early and he was 7lbs9 and my eldest was two days shy of a month premature and weighed in at 8lbs2. My doc is convinced this is another big babs as i've only put on less than a stone so far and i was the right weight before i fell preggers. I've gone from an 8/10 normal size to a very tight on the bump 16 in maternity. I'm going to ask them for the exact weight at my next app of the bean as he was measuring just a lil bit over what he should have been 4 weeks ago. Not much but we all know how quick that lil bit builds up.
    All the above is assuming i go naturally. They have told me that if the placenta hasn't moved enough by my next big scan (9th jan) that i'll need a section. They said they normally section at 38 weeks to avoid labour occuring spontaneously but because i've never carried to 38 weeks i'll be looking at 36/37 weeks max to avoid going into labour myself. I really want to labour and deliver myself but i've had so many complications i'm beginning to wonder if i should just push for a section at 36/37 weeks as i really don't know how much more i can take. Heck even my gp is shocked at the amount of physical stress this one has me under and as he said himself he's attended me on all of my others but he's not sure how much longer i can keep the bean cooking.
    Sorry for the long post. Guess i needed to get a lil bit of frustration and worry of my every expanding chest lol.

Oh Thumby hun.. I wish I could give ya a big squishy hug! You've been through so much in the last little while I can only imagine how hard not knowing what's going to happen is for you.. I'm 35 weeks and I'm P'd off cause they won't make the decision of a section I've no idea how you're coping! And with the pain on top of it! If I was you (and please don't make my comment be your deciding factor) I'd push the section or at least push them to induce you at the 37 week mark which is a full term baby anyways! I had a horrible section and I'm not gonna lie it was tough to get through but I got through it and I know I will again.. With so many complications and so much pain that you're in now it wouldn't be a whole lot more to take on hun..
    With the easing of the pains I'm really struggling to be honest, I hate not being able to do things around the house and leaving messes but I just don't have it in me to do it.. I find the tens machine an amazing help! I put all 4 electrodes on the bottom of my back and crank it up until I feel I can't take it and leave it like that for an hour and it honestly does help! When I don't have the tens on I'm putting a hit water bottle at the left side (same as you) of my lower back and another one between my legs at my groin.. I have it now that I can sit fairly pain free but moving Brings it all back, but some time with no pain is brilliant! Have you tried the tens? It's meant to help after a section aswell! Maybe you should call your hospital and insist on seeing them again for an earlier scan cause you're in so much pain? I don't know I any of that helped but I hope it did x

Thanks hun. I hate that you're going through the pain but i'm glad i'm not on my own. I know that sounds selfish and i'm sorry but its just nice to be able to vent about it to someone who understands. I have to say my x is being great even if i'm calling/texting him at evil o'clock just to give out. He called round the other day for coffee and some housework for me without being asked. I'm going to have a chat with tomorrow about pushing for either early inducement/early section as its something i feel he should have a say in, although i know he'll support me on any descion i make. He just wants me to be ok (and lorcain too obviously) lol. He knows me 16 yrs and he's never seen me in this much of a state. I've to ring my doc tomorrow and get the culture results from my latest uti so i'm gonna have a chat with him about getting a letter to back me up before i go back up to the coombe.
    I will admit to having taken a diclac last night for the pain which i feel fierce guilty about but nothing else works. :-(

That's so amazing that he's such a good help! I'm sure it's all very hard at the moment but it must be such a relief that you've stayed so close! Ya never know what'll happen when your little guy arrives :o I def think you should push to go back sooner to the hospital if you're so bad! I'm not sure how the Coombe works but in Portlaoise if you're in a lot of pain or worried in any way you can go in at any time (sometimes ya have to Q) and been seen by a Doc and given a scan.. Would you just go in? Don't feel bad about taking the pain relief either! I think if I had a choice of stronger pain relief I'd take it at times as I think it's worse to be so stressed out and upset with the pain than taking something that could help! If you ever want to rant about it all feel free to PM me! It is weirdly helpful to have someone going through the same sort of problems though, I'd be lost without this thread :) pregnancy is a lot harder than its made out to be and when you've got complications its a whole other ball game aswell! I'd love to have one more (dispite all the agony) but it'll be a few years down the line lol! 2 in a year is def enough!

Fair dues to ya tig, i hand on heart would not be able to cope if my kids were any younger! My dd will be 3 in jan and without the other 2 kids and my dad i would be totally and utterly lost. I take my hat off to ya honey *tips said hat* lol
    As for him and me, i don't think we were ever meant to make it as a couple, we're too close if that makes any sense? He'd be doing more for me physically only i won't let him (i'm a wee bit stubborn )
    You're right about the threads its mad how supportive ya end up finding them isn't? Lol. And thanks a mil for puttin up with yesterdays venting btw :-D twas very much appreciated.

Well if he's on lend I have loads of house work to be done hehe :p
    How are you feeling today? It was never planned for us to have 2 so close together! We spent 2 years trying for our DS and this one got through birth control lol! I'm so looking forward to not being pregnant! No need to thank me btw :)
    Does anyone else forget how big their bump is and hit it off things? I keep Mia judging things like opening the door and whacking myself lol.. Pregnancy brain!

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    Well if he's on lend I have loads of house work to be done hehe :p
    How are you feeling today? It was never planned for us to have 2 so close together! We spent 2 years trying for our DS and this one got through birth control lol! I'm so looking forward to not being pregnant! No need to thank me btw :)
    Does anyone else forget how big their bump is and hit it off things? I keep Mia judging things like opening the door and whacking myself lol.. Pregnancy brain!
    Just whacked the bump off a bathroom door!! I've got a couple little bruises from doing that here and there the last few weeks!

I. of course have no bump yet to get in the way but I have noticed the pregnancy brain thing loads in the last week. I've been doing things like sealing envelopes and putting them in the post but the letter is still sitting on my desk and it takes me ages to realise!

I'll see how he's fixed lol. Only one of mine was planned, 3 out of 4 (bean included) all got through protection. Kicker of it was we'd only had the "neither of us wants anymore kids" convo. I'm 100% certain that's the night we got pregnant. Talk about tempting fate! Lmao.
    I wouldn't mind if i was just bumping into things but ladies i can't even fit behind the steering wheel of the car! I'm 4ft9 so i have to pull the seat fully forward to reach the pedals :$ and yes ye may giggle it's funny as f@'k for people watchin the spectacle that is me trying to get in and out of the car.

Murdy enjoy the bumplessness while ya can. None of us can wait to get the bumps, and then we have them and we're like yippee woohoo etc. And then they get bigger. And bigger. And bigger. Don't think i need to say more lol.
    Although the next person that assumes i'm ready to pop they're gonna get a smack or two.

Murdy enjoy the bumplessness while ya can. None of us can wait to get the bumps, and then we have them and we're like yippee woohoo etc. And then they get bigger. And bigger. And bigger. Don't think i need to say more lol.
    Although the next person that assumes i'm ready to pop they're gonna get a smack or two.

Thanks - I will enjoy it while I can! I have a bit of a tum on me, just the usual stuff you get at the beginning from things getting bigger/swelling etc. My friend was poking me yesterday and saying it's all squidgy! Her sister is 30 weeks pregnant and apparently her bump is rock solid so she thought mine might be starting to be a bump but no, just fat belly!

Lol Rach & Thumby! At least I know now I'm not alone! Thankfully he's well padded in there haha!
    Thumby I did giggle a little at your post :o I'm 5ft10 and the steering wheel is getting akward to use and I'm further along, can't imagine lol!

Murdy I don't think my bump got hard until about 20 ish weeks.. My OH keeps telling me to suck it in and then pi##ing himself laughing cause it my stomach looks the exact same when I suck it in as it does if I don't!

Ah i did reply to ya murdy about the bump but my post disappeared stoopid phone! Anyhow just for the giggle i decided to measure my bump seein as we're giving out about them. Fundal height is 35cm, so there goes the cm per week rule cause it was 32 last week. And around is 105cm/41inches.
    Omg i cannot believe boredom has driven me to this :-(

Lol at the measuring and the sucking in of the bump and it remaining the same. :D At the moment I just can't imagine being bigger, 35cms sounds crazy! - it seems so far away :) 12 week appointment is tomorrow though so I'd imagine it'll feel more real seeing all the bumps at the hospital.

I can't wait to hear all your babby news too - you're all due so soon. I'll be checking in here with baited breath for the next while!

ditto....i couldn't wait to get a bump...and then i got one. and I thought i was huge!! Until i actually got a huge bump. now I know that i am, infact, a beached whale. and I can't wait to get rid of the bump. seriously, its so big people look at me in public. :mad:

• Advertisement

Rachineire wrote: »
    ditto....i couldn't wait to get a bump...and then i got one. and I thought i was huge!! Until i actually got a huge bump. now I know that i am, infact, a beached whale. and I can't wait to get rid of the bump. seriously, its so big people look at me in public. :mad:

I have to say, your post about the size 22 knickers has scared me a little, and made me giggle :D

Advertisement