Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Thumby wrote: »
    That feeling of it hitting ya is almost as much of a shock as finding out you're pregnant in the first place isn't it?

Yep, it's the strangest feeling - it was the little waving arm that got me. It was saying hi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Awww bless tht is so cute. Mine hates the scans so never does anything like that. He just bates the bejaysus out of instead everytime i have one done.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I know every time i see baby it makes it all feel real but was chatting to OH last night and we're both real casual about the baby and i really don't think it has hit us :D

Ladies about the Rabbit story, the rabbit survived as far as i know it didn't drown :) im glad the thug was sentenced as it sets an example to all other little gougers who think they can get away with animal cruelty. I would murder someone if they done anything to my dog! She is my baby and we call her our First born :D:D:D

Awww bless tht is so cute. Mine hates the scans so never does anything like that. He just bates the bejaysus out of instead everytime i have one done.

Maybe there's a future footballer or boxer in there?!

My husband said the hand moved because the midwife moved the paddle thing on my tummy but I told him to feck off, the baby waved :D

elly123 wrote: »
    I know every time i see baby it makes it all feel real but was chatting to OH last night and we're both real casual about the baby and i really don't think it has hit us :D

Ladies about the Rabbit story, the rabbit survived as far as i know it didn't drown :) im glad the thug was sentenced as it sets an example to all other little gougers who think they can get away with animal cruelty. I would murder someone if they done anything to my dog! She is my baby and we call her our First born :D:D:D

Oh that makes me feel better, poor rabbit :) We call our cat our first-born too. I keep telling him 'you'll always be my first baby' - and we call the baby his new brother or sister. We are mental!

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Oh that makes me feel better, poor rabbit :) We call our cat our first-born too. I keep telling him 'you'll always be my first baby' - and we call the baby his new brother or sister. We are mental!

You sound exactly like us :D i keep saying to our dog would you like a sister or a brother hahahaha and keep saying to her where is the baby and i'll point to my belly and she'll look all curious and then when she realises she cant see anyone she gets disinterested hahaha. We really do treat her like a real person and its not as if she's a small dog, she's a golden Lab :) im hoping she will take to the baby well! Got our information from the Vet of what to do and how to go about introducing the new arrival :)

I've no pets :-( but i figure i've enough kids to make up for it lol. I'm glad the little scumbag got done for it. Little toerag is all he is.
    As for my bean he feels more like a rugby player. He kicks/punches that hard i swear i have a scrum going on in there most o the time.

elly123 wrote: »
    You sound exactly like us :D i keep saying to our dog would you like a sister or a brother hahahaha and keep saying to her where is the baby and i'll point to my belly and she'll look all curious and then when she realises she cant see anyone she gets disinterested hahaha. We really do treat her like a real person and its not as if she's a small dog, she's a golden Lab :) im hoping she will take to the baby well! Got our information from the Vet of what to do and how to go about introducing the new arrival :)

I haven't thought about what to do with the cat yet when the baby comes home, he's the softest, most placid little thing so all I can think we need to do is to cover the baby's cot/moses basket so he can't get in there on top of the baby. Lots of people at work said we have to kick him out of our bedroom now to get him used to it but I just can't do that. :( I'll do some research anyway and see what we need to do. Your lab sounds gorgeous. As soon as we get a house with a garden we'll be getting a dog as well. We're animal mad :)
    I've no pets :-( but i figure i've enough kids to make up for it lol. I'm glad the little scumbag got done for it. Little toerag is all he is.
    As for my bean he feels more like a rugby player. He kicks/punches that hard i swear i have a scrum going on in there most o the time.

Maybe he'll play for Ireland one day?!

hahahaha we got our baby at 7week's and we had to set our alarm for ungodly hours to get up and let her out to go toilet it was like having a new born in the house!!!

i had a quiet 30hrs or so of nothing at the weekend and i was worried but then the little rascal started to thump away :) i think ive a gymnast it feels like he/she is doing flips and summersaults, id much rather all the movement than the way i felt when i had nothing!

He bloodly well better. There has to be some reason i'm preggers aside from supersperm getting through the pill!
    Oh i did have pets elly, had two pure bred boxers but one died from leaky gut syndrome and then the female started to pine after him. I couldn't bring myself to get another so i ended up rehoming her with someone else who had dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thumby I think we have the stat of the rugby team lol my little guy kicks the insides outta me! My OH keeps telling me he's just trying to find the out hole lol!
    I love when he pushes his foot or hand really hard against my side and you can feel the shape of it hehe even little bumps for toes! Although he only does it when my OH is out so he hasn't felt it!
    I picked up a weird pregnancy rash early on and they did loads of tests and couldn't figure out what it was so they told me to use canesten cream and it worked and its been gone for ages and now all of a sudden it's spreading again :( it's on my boobs too so I'm worried that it might affect breast feeding but hopefully not! I'm back in a week so I'll check then! I swear I've never felt so broken lol!

Rach how are you feeling? 10 day countdown :D exciting!!

Lol tig. It is deadly when we get to see the hands and feet. Course my little one is taking after his dad and goes to sleep everytime his dad is round so he's missing out as well lol.
    As for the rash i wouldn't say it would interfere with bfeeding hun, not if it's just a pregnancy rash. Sounds like it might be a reaction to the spike in hormones. But like ya said get it checked out anyway just to'be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Lol tig. It is deadly when we get to see the hands and feet. Course my little one is taking after his dad and goes to sleep everytime his dad is round so he's missing out as well lol.
    As for the rash i wouldn't say it would interfere with bfeeding hun, not if it's just a pregnancy rash. Sounds like it might be a reaction to the spike in hormones. But like ya said get it checked out anyway just to'be on the safe side.

Must be a boy thing lol! Making their Dad's feel worse for being out at work haha! I forsee another Mammies boy hehe!

Yeah I hope so :) I've been using the cream again anyways to try clear it!

How are you today? Any relief on the pains? Have you tried swimming? Although with a UTI it might not be the best idea.. The pool does help though, it's instant pain relief for the whole time you're in there but climbing out is a pain haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

ah congrats murdy, it's lovely when you finally get to tell people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Tigeress wrote: »
    Thumby I think we have the stat of the rugby team lol my little guy kicks the insides outta me! My OH keeps telling me he's just trying to find the out hole lol!
    I love when he pushes his foot or hand really hard against my side and you can feel the shape of it hehe even little bumps for toes! Although he only does it when my OH is out so he hasn't felt it!
    I picked up a weird pregnancy rash early on and they did loads of tests and couldn't figure out what it was so they told me to use canesten cream and it worked and its been gone for ages and now all of a sudden it's spreading again :( it's on my boobs too so I'm worried that it might affect breast feeding but hopefully not! I'm back in a week so I'll check then! I swear I've never felt so broken lol!

Rach how are you feeling? 10 day countdown :D exciting!!

Murdy congrats on the scan! Isn't unreal to see them when they look like an itty bitty little person?? Our little guy was kicking like mad and waving all around when we got our scan...I definitely cried after that! I was having all of these nightmare leading up to the scan that they would check and it would be empty in there or something haha! Its that first huge dose of reality, this is a little person in there! Its a great feeling! :D

Ah the pets thing- we had a cat and he was quite young and even though he was neutered he was still pretty aggressive. He would attack hands constantly and we couldnt get him to calm down :( I wanted to keep him since I felt like he was my furry baby but my OH was adamant about rehoming him so he found a nice family to take him in. I felt better about him going to a nice family (the daughter just finished veterinary school) but was still pretty broken up about it. Still miss him....he was a good kitty! I think we will hold off on pets until whatever kids we are going to have are a little older but i really miss having a furry companion around since I always grew up with dogs and cats!

Thanks for asking Tigress! Feeling good today....still hoping for him to start making his way to the exit! He was super duper active this morning...hurting me quite a bit! I keep telling him its more fun to kick and squirm on the outside but he I don't think hes listening to me! I still cant sleep at night, but in the mornings I am able to sleep for Ireland! I get up and make the OH breakfast and make myself some tea and go sit on the sofa and watch the news and I'm out like a light! unfortunately the past three days we have also gotten packages in the mail and everytime I answer the door I've just woken up and rolled off the sofa in a panic....pretty sure the postman thinks im a total slob since its half 10 in the morning each time haha!

Its really icy around here this morning....but sunny! anyone else wake up to ice?

Aww, that's sad Rach but cats have such a wide array of temperaments so you need to do what's best for you all. We're lucky in that ours is so laid back and change doesn't bother him at all (so much so that we moved him from across the world 6 months ago, he had four flights and a ferry journey in a crate and you'd never know it!). We're not worried about him at all with the baby, only that he's the softest, most affectionate little thing so he'll need to be watched for sitting on the babies face and trying to cuddle it! We actually think he might be happier when the baby is here because I'll be home all day and he hates being left at home by himself when we go to work.

I'm excited thinking about it now - me, the cat and the baby at home together hanging out :)

thats lovely that your kitty is so nice and laid back! their temperaments really vary- they are just little people in fur suits i swear! I don't think it would have been fair to our cat to keep him after baby was born because he would have been left out of whatever room baby was in probably. He could be so loving, on his own terms. The rest of the time he was so playful he would attack at any given moment....would hate to take the risk of him biting baby if I turned my back and etc. He was also quite needy- hated to be left out of whatever we were doing and i think really need another kitty pal to be around and play with. The girl we gave him too said that hes been doing great so it makes me feel better about rehoming him. Still wish he was around for cuddles though!

Where did you guys move from?

Rachineire wrote: »
    thats lovely that your kitty is so nice and laid back! their temperaments really vary- they are just little people in fur suits i swear! I don't think it would have been fair to our cat to keep him after baby was born because he would have been left out of whatever room baby was in probably. He could be so loving, on his own terms. The rest of the time he was so playful he would attack at any given moment....would hate to take the risk of him biting baby if I turned my back and etc. He was also quite needy- hated to be left out of whatever we were doing and i think really need another kitty pal to be around and play with. The girl we gave him too said that hes been doing great so it makes me feel better about rehoming him. Still wish he was around for cuddles though!

Where did you guys move from?

New Zealand - my husband is a kiwi (and so's my cat I suppose!)

We have friends with bitey hyper cats who I wouldn't have around babies - I know what you mean about the playful attacking. We have two friends with mental cats (and both are ginger!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Cats can be so relaxing.
    Mine used to lie across my bump and purr and bump would snuggle in to the heat and go to sleep:)
    They were ebst friends since day 1,we had no issues at all.
    We got the puppy when my big girl was 8 months,the 2 girls love their dog but I think they all team up against me!!

Did anyone see on the budget that from 1st July 2013 maternity benefit will be treated as taxable income, just when I was planning to claim it as well. Isn't that just wonderful?! Ffs :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Back when I worked I earned more money on maternity leave then working due to the tax:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Back when I worked I earned more money on maternity leave then working due to the tax:)

That must have been great! Maybe it won't affect me because I'll only be getting the benefit from social welfare, not anything from an employer. I suppose it depends on how much my husband earns?

nope it should not,you will be fine.

nope it should not,you will be fine.

Sweet - every penny counts! :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    New Zealand - my husband is a kiwi (and so's my cat I suppose!)

We have friends with bitey hyper cats who I wouldn't have around babies - I know what you mean about the playful attacking. We have two friends with mental cats (and both are ginger!)

Oh very cool! Never been there, would love to go! haha you did the smart thing, you got him over to your home before you got pregnant! I really wish I was back in the states sometimes, but mostly cause i wish i was close to my mom and I keep craving american food you can't get here! I actually would hate to be pregnant in america- they are so judgemental and over the top. you have to be freaking mother earth incarnate or you are the worlds worst. no inbetween. My friend got turned away at a starbucks because she was pregnant....wouldnt sell her a cup of de-caf coffee....I would have punched someone! lol

Moonbeam- im the same as you, better off on maternity leave financially than I am working! especially as my hours continued to be cut the further along pregnant I got! :mad: Because babies aren't expensive or anything! Now I have to try and figure out if it will be worth going back to work after 6 months with the cost of child care! (cross that bridge when i get there?)

did the child benefit get cut? i didn't see anything so far!

Yes it is down to 130 per child.
    other then the 1k a month for creche kids are not actually that expensive.

Yes it is down to 130 per child.
    other then the 1k a month for creche kids are not actually that expensive.

:eek::eek::eek: WHA??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Rachineire wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek: WHA??

I read a delightful article from August 2012 in the times where is said the average crèche price in south Dublin (where I am) is €1100!!!! I nearly fell off my chair! I am terrified to start ringing around for prices. *sticks head in sand*

are the children being fed filet Mignon and being taught their letters and shapes by sesame street themselves?

• Advertisement

They refused her decafe? Were they sucidal or something? I don't drink much of it atm but by jaysus refuse me it and ya better be the hulk to survive.
    Yup child benefit has been cut by a tenner for the first two and eighteen for the third and subsequent child. I know it doesn't sound like alot but jesus that one bill a month for me :-(

Advertisement