Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Lol the crèche fees can be expensive but it's def worth looking around! If you can do, try sorce the goverment crèches! They charge you depending on your income and are very good! You do need to put your name down as early as you can though! I have my son in one and they are amazing! He loves it! I did have to put my name down when I was pregnant but I got a place when he turned 6 months for 3 days a week! Much much cheaper than the private run crèches :)

I'm debating the wether or not to go back to work aswell.. Hard enough leaving 1 child so I don't know how I'll be able to leave 2! Sure we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it :)

Thumby wrote: »
    They refused her decafe? Were they sucidal or something? I don't drink much of it atm but by jaysus refuse me it and ya better be the hulk to survive.
    Yup child benefit has been cut by a tenner for the first two and eighteen for the third and subsequent child. I know it doesn't sound like alot but jesus that one bill a month for me :-(

It's pretty crap alright! Especially for more than 2 kids :(
    How's the pains today Thumby? Any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

I ended up not going back after i had my second because it just cost way to much. I was looking at 1800 a month and keep in mind i was living in laois 8 years ago!
    I got some really weird ones earlier hun. If i had to say what they were i's swear they were contractions. I was getting them every 5 to 7 mins for about 2 hours. Just when i started to get worried they just stopped. They def weren't bh's i've been getting them the last while and they were completely different. If it happens again i'll ring the coombe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Tigeress wrote: »
    Lol the crèche fees can be expensive but it's def worth looking around! If you can do, try sorce the goverment crèches! They charge you depending on your income and are very good! You do need to put your name down as early as you can though! I have my son in one and they are amazing! He loves it! I did have to put my name down when I was pregnant but I got a place when he turned 6 months for 3 days a week! Much much cheaper than the private run crèches :)

I'm debating the wether or not to go back to work aswell.. Hard enough leaving 1 child so I don't know how I'll be able to leave 2! Sure we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it :)

Where would one find information on these government creche's? I have heard of a scheme that if you qualify that you can get a year of care subsidized which we might need to do for the first year he is in care when I go back if we can. I'm going to try and find full time employment to go back to after leave versus the part time I was working before but who knows how all of that will work out!

Is that year not just for the year previous to starting primary school?

• Advertisement

oh not sure! I have a friend who is a child minder/works in a creche and she was telling me about it

Ah right. That would be handy for you alright if it started any time. Sorry i can't give ya any recommendations i'm in kildare and don't have a clue about what is/isn't decent in town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No, that is just the cost .. I paid near 1100 for the 1st and then for 2 it would have been 2100.

It's pure madness. How the hell do the gov expect any one, particularly single parents to go back to work and stay off sw when they have no reasonable/realistic cappings on childcare costs?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    No, that is just the cost .. I paid near 1100 for the 1st and then for 2 it would have been 2100.

Per month?? I just can't believe it...or rather, dont want to believe it! If thats the case then I will be losing tons of money sending baby to creche! Must start researching this....but maybe I'll wait until he's born. lol one worry at a time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are no government creches but there are community creches and they are subsidised for anyone on any social welfare payment. Their fees are also capped at under 200 PW due to the government funding.
    The ecce scheme is the free pre school year but it only covers 3 hours a day or a payment similar to it towards creche.

Of course outside Dublin this is all cheaper.
    I heard creches in limerick can be as cheap as 650pm .

There are no government creches but there are community creches and they are subsidised for anyone on any social welfare payment. Their fees are also capped at under 200 PW due to the government funding.
    The ecce scheme is the free pre school year but it only covers 3 hours a day or a payment similar to it towards creche.

rats, subsidized childcare, if it sounds too good to be true, probably is.

who can find an employer that will let them work only 3 hours a day? I'm wondering if these people who decide these laws actually have children. cause it seems impossible to be that any person that has ever had to look at work/childcare can think that these are good solutions!

Of course outside Dublin this is all cheaper.
    I heard creches in limerick can be as cheap as 650pm .

yeah but pay is relative as well! You definitely make less money down here than you do in dublin. I've been encouraging my OH to look into jobs up there since the pay is so much higher and if we move mid-way even with a commute we will still be making a lot more money!

I'm in newbridge and the prices are pretty much on par with dublin here now. I wasn't to bad when i went back to collage a few years ago as they actually subsidised some of the costs but without it i wouldn't have been able to retrain in a new field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Rachineire wrote: »
    Oh very cool! Never been there, would love to go! haha you did the smart thing, you got him over to your home before you got pregnant! I really wish I was back in the states sometimes, but mostly cause i wish i was close to my mom and I keep craving american food you can't get here! I actually would hate to be pregnant in america- they are so judgemental and over the top. you have to be freaking mother earth incarnate or you are the worlds worst. no inbetween. My friend got turned away at a starbucks because she was pregnant....wouldnt sell her a cup of de-caf coffee....I would have punched someone! lol

Oh god, I hate all that mother earth stuff! It must be hard for you being away from home when pregnant though. It wasn't an option for me. I told my husband I didn' t want to have children so far from home nor raise them in New Zealand. I already appreciate having my parents around so much!
    Yes it is down to 130 per child.
    other then the 1k a month for creche kids are not actually that expensive.

Moonbeam, am I right that you do some childminding now? I'm not going back to work after the baby is born and I was thinking of maybe doing something similar after a while. I've decided I can't go back to work in an office again, it just drains my soul and makes me miserable so I'm going to take a little time off and decide what to do with myself. I might retrain or something but I was thinking minding one other child in my home for a bit might be a good idea - definitely more fulfilling than my job now!! Lucky we're in a position where I don't have to go back to work immediately (I think!)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Oh god, I hate all that mother earth stuff! It must be hard for you being away from home when pregnant though. It wasn't an option for me. I told my husband I didn' t want to have children so far from home nor raise them in New Zealand. I already appreciate having my parents around so much!

Moonbeam, am I right that you do some childminding now? I'm not going back to work after the baby is born and I was thinking of maybe doing something similar after a while. I've decided I can't go back to work in an office again, it just drains my soul and makes me miserable so I'm going to take a little time off and decide what to do with myself. I might retrain or something but I was thinking minding one other child in my home for a bit might be a good idea - definitely more fulfilling than my job now!! Lucky we're in a position where I don't have to go back to work immediately (I think!)

there are definite positives and negatives about having a baby overseas....biggest negative being so far away from my family....biggest positive, being so far away from my family! haha! do you know what i mean? Although what I wouldnt give for some proper mexican food right now...been craving it for 7 months now!

Def know what ya mean about being away from family being a bad thing as well as a good thing.

Is there anything safe to take in pregnancy for a headache? After feeling so great the last few days my morning sickness has come back and I've been vomiting all day :(. I have a throbbing headache and am a bit worried about having to drive home, I just don't feel able for it at all. I thought if there was some pain killer I could take it might make things a bit easier, just to get home.

Paracetamol is safe to take murdy. Just make sure it's the one that doesn't have any codine in it.

• Advertisement

Paracetamol is safe to take murdy. Just make sure it's the one that doesn't have any codine in it.

I thought paracetamol was ok too but I have panadol extra on my desk -it has extra caffeine in it and it says it's not safe for pregnant women so I'm confused :confused: I'm presuming normal panadol would be ok? I probably won't keep it down anyway would I need to try something

Normal panadol is grand hun. It's the go to for docs/hospital for taking during pregnancy (in my experience any way).

Normal panadol is grand hun. It's the go to for docs/hospital for taking during pregnancy (in my experience any way).

Thansk Thumby - I might see if anyone has normal panadol around the office, we're nowhere near a chemist here and I'm to afraid to take the one I've got if it's not recommended.

EDIT: loads of people had plain paracetamol so I've taken two!

No bothers hun. Check with your health and safety/first aid person, most offices usually have them in the first aid kit.

Well I'm officially packed and ready for this baby! I just finished my hospital and labour bag woo!! 32 days and counting!

Murdy I was reading an article today that says the quickest way to actually clear a headache is some sexy time lol! If ya don't puke on him that is..

Some "sexy time" might not be a bad idea for you eithers tig, it is supposed to help get things going after all ;-)
    How's the head now murdy? Hope you're feeling better.

Tigeress wrote: »
    Well I'm officially packed and ready for this baby! I just finished my hospital and labour bag woo!! 32 days and counting!

Murdy I was reading an article today that says the quickest way to actually clear a headache is some sexy time lol! If ya don't puke on him that is..

Ha! If he wants to be vomited on he can give it a try :) 32 days. thats' amazing. I'm jealous :) Well done on being so organised.

Still have a headache today and fairly sure it's because I can't keep fluids down at the moment. Had to get public transport to work this morning and made it in ok with no 'pit stops'. I did stop at the shop and get a freeze pop on the way in though. I had a craving for really cold ice type things to get some liquids in me. Everyone else on the train had coffees and were looking at me like I was mad for eating an ice pop at 8am on a freezing December morning (which I am!). I came in because there's a bit meeting on but I'm going home early after that. Don't care what my boss says!

Someone get me a box of mars bars pleeeeaaaasssseeeee!!!

Sorry to hear your head is still at ya murdy. Probably is dehydration at this stage. I'd say ya got some right funny looks on the bus alright. Hope it clears up soon for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Someone get me a box of mars bars pleeeeaaaasssseeeee!!!

Can I request a six pack of lucozade pls???? Would actually kill for some!

Advertisement