Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can eat soft cheese once it is pasteurised.
    Some irish brie is pasteurised it will say it on the packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Girls, for those of you who have kids can you tell me how much you used the carseat with the buggy frame in the first year? We're thinking if buying a birth to 4yrs car seat but we won't be ale to clip it on to the buggy then. Not sure if that's such a big deal so would sue your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Ms2011

yellow hen wrote: »
    Girls, for those of you who have kids can you tell me how much you used the carseat with the buggy frame in the first year?

Used the car seat for about 7 months & the buggy for about 5 months.

If I have another baby I'll be buying a light buggy like what I use now & a birth to four year car seat, travel systems are bulky wastes of money imo ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks ms2011, I think I remember you saying that you bought your buggy second hand. We're looking at a quinny buzz at the weekend. Getting it for €140 and it looks in great condition but we'll know better when we see it. A quinny wasnt my first choice but at that price, even my husband cant argue. Were you concerned about damage to the buggy that wasnt visible to the eye or is that not really possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Girls, for those of you who have kids can you tell me how much you used the carseat with the buggy frame in the first year? We're thinking if buying a birth to 4yrs car seat but we won't be ale to clip it on to the buggy then. Not sure if that's such a big deal so would sue your comments.

We got a car seat that fits in the buggy and never used it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

We're getting the car seat that can be used as part of a travel system. I think i got about 8/9 months use out of it on each of my other three, but then with having older kids for school runs etc i found i used it quite alot and it was handy because i was able to leave it in the car.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

for my 1st I used it for 15 months (maxi cosi car seat) then she was just too heavy and akward,on the 2nd I used it less due to car seats not fitting my double buggy but found it so handy at the play school etc.
    We still use the big heavy buggy, I hate strollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

Ladies on the subject of buggies has anyone heard any reviews on the baby elegance neyo im mad to buy it.due in feb wondering should i hold out till the jan sales?? sorry im not much use in remembering how long i used my carseat for with my little man even tho he's only 5 iv a very bad memory think its baby brain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Rach, I swear I jut read your post and it seemed like you were talking to me! It's my left lumbar that's the worst of the pain and walking is near impossible! I'm def gonna ask her about the tennis ball on Tues! If she's not willing to do the massage then I'm gonna jut book one, the pain is all too much!

I'm the same at night aswell lol, there are pillows everywhere to try make me comfy and my OH is balanced on the side haha!

Thumby welcome back :) sorry to hear you've been so ill! As far as I know once the cheeses are cooked very well they're ok to eat! Cream cheese is fine though!

I used the Maxi Cosi car seat for 9 months and at the start we used it all the time on the buggy! We have the P&T Vibe and it fits on it aswell which is great! Handy for quick trips in the shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Thanks ms2011, I think I remember you saying that you bought your buggy second hand. We're looking at a quinny buzz at the weekend. Getting it for €140 and it looks in great condition but we'll know better when we see it. A quinny wasnt my first choice but at that price, even my husband cant argue. Were you concerned about damage to the buggy that wasnt visible to the eye or is that not really possible?

That sounds like a great bargain :-)

I made sure I gave the buggy a good once over, folded it & reasssmbled it, attached & unattached the car seat etc.
    The travel system I got was an unwanted gift & you could see by the wheels that it had never been outside :-)

• Advertisement

any one else terrified at the thoughts of an epidural?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Moonbeam wrote: »

I got one. Wasn't planning to, but knew I was probably heading for a section and wanted to be awake for it. It was absolutely fine. Nurses will help you stand the first time you are out of bed after it in case you wobble.

Will you have time for an epidural, speedy? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Me moonbeam. I don't think I could get it. People assume I'm some earth loving tree hugger for wanting a natural birth but the truth is I'm terrified of getting an epi. I wonder if they do gentle birth/hypnosis to prepare you for the epi :P

Moonbeam I'm very nervous about getting it but would def rather it than a general anestethic if its another section! It's not so much the needle as it is what could happen :o I'm just terrified of the birth in general lol!

Neyite wrote: »
    I got one. Wasn't planning to, but knew I was probably heading for a section and wanted to be awake for it. It was absolutely fine. Nurses will help you stand the first time you are out of bed after it in case you wobble.

Will you have time for an epidural, speedy? :p

I do not want one ever ,but I do understand in emergency situations one maybe necessary:(

Me moonbeam. I don't think I could get it. People assume I'm some earth loving tree hugger for wanting a natural birth but the truth is I'm terrified of getting an epi. I wonder if they do gentle birth/hypnosis to prepare you for the epi :P

I am terrified of needing one and the pain of not having one is way better then the thoughts of getting one.
    The pain is unreal but at least you know it will end with a little baby:)

Thanks girlies. I know it sounds terrible but i just want the bean out of me now. Obviously not literally but ya know what i mean. Even my gp, who i've been with 15 was shocked at the physical toll this one is havin on me. Ah well nearly there.
    Don't be worried about getting epidurals ladies. I am absolutely terrified of needles and ended up getting it in two of my labours. My first was 18 hours so they wanted me on the drip to speed up my contractions. Unfortunately it didn't work too well, although that was 13 years ago. My second completely natural birth 8 hours long and my thrid i ended up getting it because my contractions were just unbearable. That labour was five hours from start to finish and i slept for the last hour. Lol. They had to wake me to push, which took five mins. Do what ye feel is best for you at the time. Don't let anyone pressure you into anything you don't want/aren't comfortable with. But at the same time be flexible going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Tigeress wrote: »
    Rach, I swear I jut read your post and it seemed like you were talking to me! It's my left lumbar that's the worst of the pain and walking is near impossible! I'm def gonna ask her about the tennis ball on Tues! If she's not willing to do the massage then I'm gonna jut book one, the pain is all too much!

I'm the same at night aswell lol, there are pillows everywhere to try make me comfy and my OH is balanced on the side haha!

Thumby welcome back :) sorry to hear you've been so ill! As far as I know once the cheeses are cooked very well they're ok to eat! Cream cheese is fine though!

I used the Maxi Cosi car seat for 9 months and at the start we used it all the time on the buggy! We have the P&T Vibe and it fits on it aswell which is great! Handy for quick trips in the shops!

Thanks Murdy! I hope I do too....but not this weekend, i have to get stuff done! :p:p

haha im glad you can relate tigress....I keep offering to sleep in another room or on the sofa (where honestly i would be more comfy) but my OH is horrified at the idea and says no way! so fine then, he can hang on for dear life for another week or so!

also have you gotten a support belt from the physio? I have a huge contraption that supports my back and bump and its made a huge difference! but yes do ask about the tennis ball...it seems so simple but made a huge difference! I was standing on my feet at work all day as well and it was killing my back! I was walking like igor from young frankenstein by 11am most days lol!

I'm not scared of getting an epi...im scared that if i want one i wont be able to get one! I have a tattoo on the middle of my back right where an epi would go :( i hear that some doctors will put them in anyways and some wont...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I've no problems with needles in the back etc and definitely want an epi. My worry is that they won't give me one when I want it or they'll faff around for ages thinking I'm ok and then I won't have time to get one. Or that it'll be a busy day in the hospital and all the other women will get epis before me and I won't be able too!

Still, that worry is a long way away for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

Yes a little - I'm nervous of all the pain meds. I'm scared the pethadine will be too strong and il be sick. I'm scared the gas and air will make me sick. And I'm scared of the epidural. But not as scared as I am of a pain relief free delivery so I think il just have to get over my fear of the meds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Yep really terrified of getting injection into back. I have 2 pins and a scar from surgery less than 2years ago and the thoughts of someone poking around back there makes me ill. I talked to my consultant about it and he said even if i got one it may not work properly anyway.

Think i'll hold off and have it as LAST resort.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Moonbeam, I hate needles - I was in every month during my pregnancy for antenatal checkups and they took my blood every time - I couldn't even look at it ever, always had to turn away. Same when they hooked me up to the Syntocinon. Couldn't look at the needle going in, but strangely, for the epidural which should have freaked me out more I was calm. Maybe because I didn't see the needle or the prep. I had the 4 Heparin injections afterwards too, and out of all the nurses treating me like a pin cushion the epidural is the one that hurt /freaked me the least.

They get you to sit sideways on the bed, with your bum at the edge, legs across the bed hanging over the other side. You lean forward, with you bump on the bed between your legs, and your partner sits on a stool between your legs. You can rest your head on his shoulder and hold onto his arms, while he supports you and helps keep you from moving during the contractions. This is actually when I had my worst contractions and barely felt them in this position, so if I have another labour that how I'm going to position myself for the contractions.

The anesthetist knows what they are doing and its in quick. I think mine kicked in within a few minutes, and they quickly adjusted it then because one side wasn't getting as numb. Then about an hour later when they decided to C-section me, they just topped it up until I was numb from the shoulders down, but could move my arms and head. It started to wear off about 6 /7 hrs after the surgery, but an ordinary Epidural would probably wear off quicker.

If you gave me the choice right now of getting an epidural needle or bloods taken, I think I'd go for the epidural one.

You can eat soft cheese once it is pasteurised.
    Some irish brie is pasteurised it will say it on the packet.

Just remember I asked this - it seems you can eat unpasteurised soft cheeses if they have been cooked thoroughly and are piping hot. Fingers crossed I won't be too sick to enjoy a taste!!

http://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/

The thing i'm terrified of getting is an episiotomy. I've already told the babys dad to make sure they don't even consider giving me one as the person stupid enough to make an attempt at it will end up with the scapel buried in their chest. I'm not a violent person but the thoughts of anyone cutting me down there scares the f@ck out of me entirely! I gave birth to an 8lb2 baby with shoulder dystocia after my epidural had worn off and didn't tear let alone need to be cut so they can feck right off if they even mention it to me.

Tigerton wrote: »
    Yes a little - I'm nervous of all the pain meds. I'm scared the pethadine will be too strong and il be sick. I'm scared the gas and air will make me sick. And I'm scared of the epidural. But not as scared as I am of a pain relief free delivery so I think il just have to get over my fear of the meds!

Aww,pregnancy in general makes me sick so no fears there.
    The idea of anyone going at my spine with a huge needle is terrifing though.
    Needles do not bother me at all otherwise.

Thumby wrote: »
    The thing i'm terrified of getting is an episiotomy. I've already told the babys dad to make sure they don't even consider giving me one as the person stupid enough to make an attempt at it will end up with the scapel buried in their chest. I'm not a violent person but the thoughts of anyone cutting me down there scares the f@ck out of me entirely! I gave birth to an 8lb2 baby with shoulder dystocia after my epidural had worn off and didn't tear let alone need to be cut so they can feck right off if they even mention it to me.

I don't think they are very common these days.
    A natural tear will heel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Thumby wrote: »

Thumby im totally with you on this one, this is the only thing the scares the life out of me! i really dont want to be cut down there. I am going to give the perineal massage a go when the time comes so that might help avoid the episotomy.

I have had 3 Lumbar punchers in my spine which is very similar to the epi, so i will be opting for that as soon as i feel i need it. I have also had the pethidine injection for pain relief when i was 11 weeks pregnant and it was brilliant for the first 2 hours or so, it would make me feel completely "out of it" and i would fall asleep. i would consider myself to have a good pain thresh-hold and i remember back in my teens when i suffered really bad with endometriosis a consultant telling me, i had been through worse pain than giving birth maybe i had but i will still be taken all the pain relief im allowed when the time comes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I don't think they are very common these days.
    A natural tear will heel better.

For anyone interested, you can see the rates of episiotomy (as well as other procedures) in the maternity hospitals in the following link:

Maternity Hospital Statistics

So I pretty much begged the Doctor today for stronger painkillers and he said no :( trying the tens machine at the mo but no luck with the pain! I'm super emotional at the mo too.. Can't stop crying :(

I doubt they'll do anything in the hospital either and not back until 12th Dec!

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    So I pretty much begged the Doctor today for stronger painkillers and he said no :( trying the tens machine at the mo but no luck with the pain! I'm super emotional at the mo too.. Can't stop crying :(

I doubt they'll do anything in the hospital either and not back until 12th Dec!

You poor thing - you're having a terrible time. :( I'd be crying too! I really hope you start to feel better soon and you don't have to wait until your hosp appointment to get some relief.

Advertisement