Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Will be getting the bar in my arm, asap. No fear there. Until then, he better not so much as look at me! Not able for those frights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm 5weeks 4days today and already I can't button up my work trousers and can only do the zip up halfway, I have a belt holding my trousers closed :eek:
    I know it is just bloating but I'm finding it hard to hid from family and friends :(
    The sooner I can get my scan and get the ok to tell people the better :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Haha Storminateacup...glad you got the result you wanted :D

27 weeks here and I feel like I've been hit with a bus! Weather isn't helping, I'm boiling at night, kick the covers off, then I'm freezing and on and on it goes.

I'm just starting to worry about what the next 13 weeks will bring. I hope the pre-eclampsia doesn't kick off this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

36 weeks today, I'm so exhausted and sooo ready to not be pregnant any more!!
    Can't wait for my little man to get here!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Haha Storminateacup...glad you got the result you wanted :D

27 weeks here and I feel like I've been hit with a bus! Weather isn't helping, I'm boiling at night, kick the covers off, then I'm freezing and on and on it goes.

I'm just starting to worry about what the next 13 weeks will bring. I hope the pre-eclampsia doesn't kick off this time.

I hear ya. 29 weeks today & the heat at night is killing me & every little noise is waking me from the little sleep I am getting. Went to bed at 11.30 last night, woke at 12.30, then again at 2.30 because I could hear people rowing, then at 3.30 because of a noise & then up for work at 6.50! My god, these last 9 weeks in work can't go quickly enough!

• Advertisement

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I hear ya. 29 weeks today & the heat at night is killing me & every little noise is waking me from the little sleep I am getting. Went to bed at 11.30 last night, woke at 12.30, then again at 2.30 because I could hear people rowing, then at 3.30 because of a noise & then up for work at 6.50! My god, these last 9 weeks in work can't go quickly enough!

Yep, I wake about 10 times a night...i think that's down to the heat though.

The 9 weeks will fly in OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

32 weeks today and just found out yesterday that it's a little boy :D nicely balanced so 2 girls 2 boys :D I kinda had a feeling its a boy so it's nice to be right. . . won't have to shop for anything as ben's stuff isn't even out of the drawers yet never mind put away :eek:
    Luckily the heat doesn't bother me i still have my winter duvet on the bed :eek: just have my windows open as a summer concession.
    Glad you got sorted storminateacup. . nothing like a big shock to put things in perspective .. ;) it happened me last july when ben was 5 months old and i'd just bought my new car. . I was 9 days late and panicking . . unfortunately i can't take contraception so that's when the snip conversations started but he kept putting off going to the GP. . I have learned now not to go on a drunken girls night out and come home and tease my husband :eek: :D

Cbyrd you do make me giggle :D

awww a little boy...ours is a boy too...have you any names? I won't nick them I promise :D

Oh, how come you had a scan yesterday btw? Everything's okay I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I think it's because of the blood sugar thing my GP said the might do a few more scans just to check the baby's size. . it's one of the side effects of gestational diabeties is a bigger baby. . like the asian baby born a few years ago who weighed in at 19 pounds http://www.asianoffbeat.com/default.asp?display=2083. .. :eek: sore lady place after that one :pac:
    He'll be James after my dad who died last november. . second name is a bit harder. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

cbyrd wrote: »
    I kinda had a feeling its a boy so it's nice to be right. . .
    Congrats! Does anyone else who hasn't found out through a scan have a feeling about whether it's a girl or a boy? Everyone told me I was having a boy last time, I thought it was a girl. They were right. This pregnancy has been so completely different that I have myself convinced again that it's a girl. I really don't have a preference one way or the other and I don't want to find out til baby actually arrives, but it's a nice guessing game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I have learned now not to go on a drunken girls night out and come home and tease my husband :eek: :D

Love it! :p Sorry....

I'm thinking it's a girl, everyone is saying it's a girl or they want a girl, except himself who is going by statistics and old wives tales (where I'm putting on weight and carrying) which is a bit of an odd pairing.

He has 3 boys already and says he would be terrified of having a girl cos he wouldn't know what to do. And then there's the faint but still real possibility of her getting pregnant at 16 or some shyte like that... :o Cos his boys are a bunch of angels really... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Congrats! Does anyone else who hasn't found out through a scan have a feeling about whether it's a girl or a boy? Everyone told me I was having a boy last time, I thought it was a girl. They were right. This pregnancy has been so completely different that I have myself convinced again that it's a girl. I really don't have a preference one way or the other and I don't want to find out til baby actually arrives, but it's a nice guessing game!

I don't know what I am having, Well himself thinks it's going to be a girl and I think it's going to be a boy so one of us will be right :D 28 weeks tomorrow, the months are flying in!!

So need a bit of advice regarding the public hospital schemes, what is the best one to go for I have heard a small bit about the domino scheme but as this is my first and I am so nervous I don't think that would be a good scheme to go by but I did hear of another one where a midwife will come to where you live a day after you give birth and will continue to visit you for a few days, Now I could be wrong so what would be the best scheme to go for? I really don't wanna be in hospital for long even though it is my first and I probably will be asking to stay another night haha!! Any tips? Thanks:D

Avril123 wrote: »
    So need a bit of advice regarding the public hospital schemes, what is the best one to go for I have heard a small bit about the domino scheme but as this is my first and I am so nervous I don't think that would be a good scheme to go by but I did hear of another one where a midwife will come to where you live a day after you give birth and will continue to visit you for a few days, Now I could be wrong so what would be the best scheme to go for? I really don't wanna be in hospital for long even though it is my first and I probably will be asking to stay another night haha!! Any tips? Thanks:D
    Where are you based Avril? Most of the good schemes like Domino and the early release service are only available in limited areas.

Where are you based Avril? Most of the good schemes like Domino and the early release service are only available in limited areas.

My address is Dun Laoghaire but I am will be living in Donnybrook as we are going to be moving there

Then you will qualify for Early Transfer Home with Community Midwife visits for the first 5 days or so and regular PHN visits after that (certainly if you are booking in to the National Maternity Hospital). I wasn't in an ETH hospital but was allowed home the second morning (about 36 hrs after the birth) as baby & I were doing fine. I was delighted, couldn't get any sleep on the ward and was sooo happy to be back in my own bed. Will be hoping for similar this time round.

I'm not sure about Domino, there have been cuts to the Wexford services & rumours of cuts elsewhere, so that may not even be an option. I would always go for midwife-led care if I had access to it, unfortunately where I am it's consultant-led or nothing.

http://www.nmh.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=2_7_61;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

hey ladies,
    hopefully ill be joining ye tomorrow..been afraid to up until this! 11 and a half weeks now, lost one twin at 8 weeks:(
    Please god all will be well with my little baba tomorrow though, i feel my lower abdomen starting to swell a little tho so im taking that as a good sign!! Didnt think i would start to show so early? Do you know if im starting to 'swell' a little now is it likely thats the start of my bump developing and will be showing in the next couple of weeks? I appreciate everyones different but its my first child and ive no idea what to expect! x

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

I haven't found out but leaning towards a girl since the start. Only around 7 weeks till we see!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Halfway

I'm laughing my head off. . i said exactly the same thing last year. .. after my 3rd. . who was also a big surprise after a 7 year gap. . .:D number 4 is due in 8 weeks. . but i've made sure there won't be a 5th. . he had the snip last week. . his birthday present. . :D:D while it was a huge shock i am excited now too. .

DHs birthday is 2 days before baby is due, wonder would he like that as his present!!!! :rolleyes:

^^^im gonna save up and give it to dh gor his combined birthday and Xmas pressie in December ha ha! There'll be a great run on vasectomies from boardsies!!!

• Advertisement

Dublinlady, fingers crossed for tomorrow, and so sorry to hear of your loss. Your little one will always be with you, and your rounding tummy is a fantastic sign that all is going well with you little bean!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

dublinlady wrote: »
    hey ladies,
    hopefully ill be joining ye tomorrow..been afraid to up until this! 11 and a half weeks now, lost one twin at 8 weeks:(
    Please god all will be well with my little baba tomorrow though, i feel my lower abdomen starting to swell a little tho so im taking that as a good sign!! Didnt think i would start to show so early? Do you know if im starting to 'swell' a little now is it likely thats the start of my bump developing and will be showing in the next couple of weeks? I appreciate everyones different but its my first child and ive no idea what to expect! x

Best of luck with the scan DL, I've a feeling your baba is nice and secure in there.
    As for the start of a little bump, well I'm only 6 weeks and I bent over yesterday to pick something up and burst the zip in my work trousers :o
    For me it's more bloating than anything else but I'm sure yours is a sign of your growing little one :)

dublinlady wrote: »
    hey ladies,

I always get confused about the belly swelling in the early days. I think it's down to bloating more than pregnancy belly, because if you look at the babycentre site, they show you the size of the baby each week and it doesn't look big enough to protrude. But then you'll hear some ladies in here who find their baby bellies are showing already. I could also be that you're expecting your belly to be big, so therefore you feel it is.

But you know your own body better than anyone, if you're seeing a definite swell...then I would take it as a good sign. So terribly sad about the little one that didn't make it, I had a miscarriage last november, so I know how sad it is. Fingers crossed all is well with your little one xx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry to hear about that Dublinlady. Best of luck for the other little one!

So I went for my second scan today. Everything went well, he already looks bigger than 2 weeks ago (gyny says he is about 6cm long from head to bum), heart rate is grand too. He also measured the "clarte nucleaire" (can't find the English translation!) to see the risk of Downs, and apparently it is normal so I am low risk. Still have to go for a blood test (ANOTHER one!) to check some hormone levels that are linked with Down's. My next appointment is in a month where I will have the first trimester official scan, apparently I can bring a dvd and get it recorded in "real time", cool! Also I will find out the sex of the baby (we decided we want to know, it will save a lot of hassle in choosing names!)

So now everything seems ok and I am 12 weeks, I'm going to tell the families. Worried about telling my parents, feel like a teenager that got into trouble, not a 31 year old in a strong relationship, he he!

Otherwise I feel really good. The "morning" sickness is pretty much gone (yippee!), I'm starting to see a tummy (even the gyny remarked on it), and I am liking the gyny more and more, he is very approachable and not at all patronising or scary. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the process.

How many weeks is it before you start antenatal classes, I have booked then but won't be starting them until i am nearly 34 weeks and they are for 5 weeks, do they normally start that late ?

Then you will qualify for Early Transfer Home with Community Midwife visits for the first 5 days or so and regular PHN visits after that (certainly if you are booking in to the National Maternity Hospital). I wasn't in an ETH hospital but was allowed home the second morning (about 36 hrs after the birth) as baby & I were doing fine. I was delighted, couldn't get any sleep on the ward and was sooo happy to be back in my own bed. Will be hoping for similar this time round.

I'm not sure about Domino, there have been cuts to the Wexford services & rumours of cuts elsewhere, so that may not even be an option. I would always go for midwife-led care if I had access to it, unfortunately where I am it's consultant-led or nothing.

http://www.nmh.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=2_7_61;

Thank you for that, I'll ask about the early release home when I am next at the hospital

Avril123 wrote: »
    How many weeks is it before you start antenatal classes, I have booked then but won't be starting them until i am nearly 34 weeks and they are for 5 weeks, do they normally start that late ?

That seems a bit late alright, that means you'll be 39 weeks when you're finished? You'll be able to give the class yourself by then :D I'm sure it was about 30 weeks or so when I did them. But I have heard they're quite busy at the mo. Apparently i was supposed to sign up for them this time around but I never bothered :o

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

yeah i like the guessing game. i think its a boy and he thinks its a girl. we dont mind either way but its good craic. i always thought id have a girl but when i got pregnant all i could and can think of its a boy!! come january we will find out please God. 17 weeks tomorrow. so excited! :D

S He also measured the "clarte nucleaire" (can't find the English translation!)
    It's the nuchal fold. Is there a history of DS in your family that you have had all the tests? I'm much older than you and no one ever even mentioned it - I don't know if that's down to a lack of resources for early scans or a general squeamishness about the consequences of having a positive result. Hope it all continues well for you in any case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's the nuchal fold. Is there a history of DS in your family that you have had all the tests? I'm much older than you and no one ever even mentioned it - I don't know if that's down to a lack of resources for early scans or a general squeamishness about the consequences of having a positive result. Hope it all continues well for you in any case!

No there is no history. I'm not sure if it's because I'm seeing a private gyny or what. I suspect that here abortion is legal and well, women just get it done on time. It seems to be routine too, because the lab only charges a nominal fee. I'm not worried anyway because I'm not in the high risk age group and the measurement was fine.

Advertisement