Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

is it standard to get tested for these? i had my pregnancy bloods done but duno what they included. no one mentioned any of the above to me!!

I'm not in Ireland, so not sure what the situation is there, but here it's obligatory AFAIK (also blood group test is obligatory, has to be done TWICE!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

is it standard to get tested for these? i had my pregnancy bloods done but duno what they included. no one mentioned any of the above to me!!

They'll be on your chart, if you have it at home, there are a list of blood tests they did and their results. They only usually tell you the results if something isn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

You should be fine , they test for these things at your checking in appointment and only tell you if there is a problem . Did you have any blood tests ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They'll be on your chart, if you have it at home, there are a list of blood tests they did and their results. They only usually tell you the results if something isn't right.

I should say that where I am, the doctor doesn't do the blood tests (or any blood tests or urine samples, in fact), he gives you a prescription, and you have to go to a lab (there are loads, usually beside big pharmacies and hospitals), they take the bloods there and do the analysis. Then they send a copy of the results to the doctor, and you can collect a copy for yourself. So today I collected my results (cos my next apt isn't til the end of next week) and had a wee google to see what they meant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Rubella immunity is standard here, if you have low immunity it will be recommended after you give birth to go and get the immunisation again, although some women never seem to build up immunity even after getting it again.

I'm not sure if the toxoplasmosis is standard here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont think so byt it seems to be really important in Poland for some reason, a few of my friends went home to be tested privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My sis got Pregnancy for Dummies. She does NOT recommend it. I read bits of them as I was her birth partner. It's a bit like "What to Expect..." in that all the complications of pregnancies & childbirth are gone over in great detail. I think they are both American, definitely the Dummies one is & American books tend to be very very medicalised & geared towards that because US maternity hospitals are that way. (As an aside, do NOT watch US version of One Born Every Minute for this very reason, awful awful awful)

One born every minute us , just makes me cross :( no expectant lady should watch it .

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

^^totally agree. Completely different attitude across the water, and what's with the 20 family and friends in the room having a goo at everything?? Not really relevant to our experience in the Irish system

I just couldnt do it , even if it was an option I only want my partner there its a very emotional personal thing and not something I need an audience for . due date today !! please get out now baby :( my toddler seems to know something is going on as she has turned into a headcase this morning .

• Advertisement

Good luck over tge coming days crazyginlady! Did you go over last time?

Know what you mean about the audience, we just have a different frame of mind over here! When I had my first I was 23. Had my dh in with me, and my mother wanted to come in too. I was horrified. Thankfully the consultant sent her home telling her it would be hours yet. Rang her an hour and half later to tell her about her first grandchild's safe arrival!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Am hoping I am not gonna be joining back into this thread. Only a little over 2 months since our daughter was born, and I have a (hopefully unfounded paranoid) feeling of feeling just like I did before.

Worried sick.

KayTee wrote: »
    Good luck over tge coming days crazyginlady! Did you go over last time?

Know what you mean about the audience, we just have a different frame of mind over here! When I had my first I was 23. Had my dh in with me, and my mother wanted to come in too. I was horrified. Thankfully the consultant sent her home telling her it would be hours yet. Rang her an hour and half later to tell her about her first grandchild's safe arrival!
    I had mild contractions starting on her due date and had her three days later , so hopefully it wont be too long away :D Nothing better than being able to make that call to your family .

Am hoping I am not gonna be joining back into this thread. Only a little over 2 months since our daughter was born, and I have a (hopefully unfounded paranoid) feeling of feeling just like I did before.

Worried sick.

Oh no are your serious? Is it too early for a test?

Best of luck Crazyginlady, hope you're not waiting too long! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Worried sick.

Don't worry- get a PT when you get a chance. There is only 14 months between our two- to say its exhausting is an understatement- even leaving the house is a military operation- never mind the queue at the changing table in the morning- but its very doable.......

Now to find where I stashed the Liga.......... :(

smccarrick wrote: »
    never mind the queue at the changing table in the morning

lol oh no :D

I wonder will they be close, relationship wise, when they're older, that'd be nice.

lol oh no :D

I wonder will they be close, relationship wise, when they're older, that'd be nice.

There's 14 months between my two too and they are both currently sitting in the same bouncer, the younger one on top of the older one, they look comfy...

Oh no are your serious? Is it too early for a test?

Best of luck Crazyginlady, hope you're not waiting too long! :D

I have no idea - I am breasfeeding and assumed that was an effective form of contraception for the first couple of months.
    While I love being a parent and love my daughter - I'm most definately not ready for another baby yet. I'm only 22. Just starting a new job full time on Tuesday. Dreading telling my OH if I am. Will do a pregnancy test later on today. I hope I'm just being paranoid - but feeling queasy qnd dizzy the past couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I hate to tell you this storminateacup... but breastfeeding is not a form of contraception at all. . .:eek:
    Get a test as soon as you can ... i'm not being smart but did the hospital not give you the info on contraception before you left?? there should've been a leaflet or at least had a chat about it .. as to what's suitable with breastfeeding. ..

I'm feeling for you.. fingers crossed cos i know how exhausting small babies are and then to have to try and re-arrange jobs and fit everything around baby. ..
    I have a great flexible job at the moment and in a way (selfish one) i'm a bit annoyed that i'll have to change everything around to accommodate the new baby. . this one was a mega surprise as my youngest is 18 months ... i'm blaming my husband for not getting the snip last year :eek::D my motto has become what's meant for you won't pass you. .. or at least i try to convince myself :D
    a friend of mine, her little one was 4+ months when she discovered she was 7 weeks pregnant. . get the test and keep us posted ;)
    Good Luck. . .

Cue the panic attack .. . :D:D I hate to tell you this storminateacup... but breastfeeding is not a form of contraception at all. . .:eek:
    Get a test as soon as you can ... i'm not being smart but did the hospital not give you the info on contraception before you left?? there should've been a leaflet or at least had a chat about it .. as to what's suitable with breastfeeding. ..

I'm feeling for you.. fingers crossed cos i know how exhausting small babies are and then to have to try and re-arrange jobs and fit everything around baby. ..
    I have a great flexible job at the moment and in a way (selfish one) i'm a bit annoyed that i'll have to change everything around to accommodate the new baby. . this one was a mega surprise as my youngest is 18 months ... i'm blaming my husband for not getting the snip last year :eek::D my motto has become what's meant for you won't pass you. .. or at least i try to convince myself :D
    a friend of mine, her little one was 4+ months when she discovered she was 7 weeks pregnant. . get the test and keep us posted ;)
    Good Luck. . .

• Advertisement

i can imagine the panic you are feeling storminateacup..hope you get the outcome you want :hugs:

Keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Halfway

Hi girls,
    I'm 29 weeks pregnant on my 3rd. I was done after my 2nd and several bottles of wine later one night led to my current condition. My 2nd will only be 16 months old when baby is born so it will be a very busy house. I also have a 3 year old.
    Storminateacup - I cried for a while when I found out but I'm actually getting very excited about it now. It was a huge shock and not part of the plan but what can you do. In saying that this is definitely my last. Hubbie has been told he is getting the snip. I have done my part with 3 pregnancies and 3 labours............................

I have no idea - I am breasfeeding and assumed that was an effective form of contraception for the first couple of months.
    While I love being a parent and love my daughter - I'm most definately not ready for another baby yet. I'm only 22. Just starting a new job full time on Tuesday. Dreading telling my OH if I am. Will do a pregnancy test later on today. I hope I'm just being paranoid - but feeling queasy qnd dizzy the past couple of days

Hope you got on okay with the test yesterday *hugs* January's post is lovely thinking of the two of them snuggled up together. You'll cope, you know you will xx

Halfway wrote: »
    Hi girls,
    In saying that this is definitely my last. Hubbie has been told he is getting the snip. I have done my part with 3 pregnancies and 3 labours............................

I'm laughing my head off. . i said exactly the same thing last year. .. after my 3rd. . who was also a big surprise after a 7 year gap. . .:D number 4 is due in 8 weeks. . but i've made sure there won't be a 5th. . he had the snip last week. . his birthday present. . :D:D while it was a huge shock i am excited now too. .

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'm laughing my head off. . i said exactly the same thing last year. .. after my 3rd. . who was also a big surprise after a 7 year gap. . .:D number 4 is due in 8 weeks. . but i've made sure there won't be a 5th. . he had the snip last week. . his birthday present. . :D:D while it was a huge shock i am excited now too. .

Haha, I can just imagine! "What did you get for your birthday?" "A vasectomy!"

Halfway wrote: »
    Hi girls,
    I'm 29 weeks pregnant on my 3rd. I was done after my 2nd and several bottles of wine later one night led to my current condition. My 2nd will only be 16 months old when baby is born so it will be a very busy house. I also have a 3 year old.
    Storminateacup - I cried for a while when I found out but I'm actually getting very excited about it now. It was a huge shock and not part of the plan but what can you do. In saying that this is definitely my last. Hubbie has been told he is getting the
    snip. I have done my part with 3 pregnancies and 3 labours............................

Meet your sister, halfway! I could have written your post, except my kids are 9 and 4. I got over the shock very quickly though and can't wait for end of September to come :-) dh will also be having the snip, wish we had the money to do it now, get it over with!

Hey guys - thanks for all the kind words. However - thank god - I was completely wrong. Two tests, both negetive. That was seriously the worst weekend in a very long time. I dont think I could cope with another baby so soon. I want to enjoy my daughter, and not just rush through the months shell spend developing into her own little person.

Another 5 or 6 years before we have another one, with any luck.

Lesson learned however. I will never put myself through that stress again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seriously- luck doesn't come into it. Its incredibly easy to get pregnant after you've had a baby. If you are not actively ttc- you need to organise reliable birth control.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Its not a form of contraception but breastfeeding can hinder conception.

When pregnant or breastfeeding, the pituatury gland at the base of the brain increases the secretion of prolactin, which is the lacatating hormone, and is responsible for the swollen sore boobs throughout pregnancy and milk production after birth. It usually increases after pregnancy, and stops ovulation and menstruation during pregnancy. The baby sucking stimulates the nipples which keeps the prolactin raised and continues milk production. Upon weaning, this level begins to fall, and causes milk to dry up.

In some cases, some women can have raised prolactin while not pregnant - so women can have the absence of periods, sore boobs, milk production and cease ovulation but with no accompanying pregnancy. Its treated with medication very successfully - Bromocriptine or Cabergoline are the two prescribed. Its one of the hormones checked for infertility, and it was through that blood test that I discovered that I had raised prolactin caused by a benign tumor on the pituitary gland. I am on medication now which has normalised these levels, and will continue to be for at least another 5-10 years (excluding pregnancies).

From what I have read up on prolactin, it is estimated to be something like 85% effective in preventing conception while breastfeeding - Not great odds if you are not planning on getting pregnant, but from that you can see why not many women concieve while breastfeeding, thereby feeding into the myth. My own sister (being a nurse and should know better) got pregnant while breastfeeding and thought it was not possible.

• Advertisement

Hey guys - thanks for all the kind words. However - thank god - I was completely wrong. Two tests, both negetive. That was seriously the worst weekend in a very long time. I dont think I could cope with another baby so soon. I want to enjoy my daughter, and not just rush through the months shell spend developing into her own little person.

Lesson learned however. I will never put myself through that stress again.

Off to the doctor with you in the morning so to discuss contraception ;)

Advertisement