Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

cbyrd wrote: »
    Just saw a post that she had the PHN out for a heel prick test. . don't know any details though. .

33+1 and i'm hitting that tired wall earlier every day. . probably cos i'm working more days. . this retirement thing is working out really well for me :rolleyes: but at least the house is clean cos i went mad with my mam's steamer over the weekend. . not a dust mite alive. .and for some strange reason on my only day off this week i've invited my friend and her crazy kids over for lunch and offered to cut their hair after i've done my own girls for back to school :eek: what the hell is wrong with me :confused: could i not have just had a lie in and had a lazy day . . . damn hormones and nesting :mad:

Ah no way! Hope she pops in here to give us all the details.

Jees I don't think any amount of nesting instinct would get me to do all that :D Even if it got me out of the scratcher earlier, the TV would call me :D When are the kids back to school? They only just got their hols? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I wonder if Crazyginlady has had her little one yet :D
    I think she did, saw a post in newborns & toddlers iirc.

I just found her thread, thanks Lola :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Ah no way! Hope she pops in here to give us all the details.

Jees I don't think any amount of nesting instinct would get me to do all that :D Even if it got me out of the scratcher earlier, the TV would call me :D When are the kids back to school? They only just got their hols? :eek:

Back in 3 weeks. . and i might get near the TV then.. icarly and mtv rule til about 8pm and then i have to bodily throw them out of the room. If i turn off the tv i have to bring them somewhere like swimming or walking or spend time with them.. . this is the part of parenting no-one warns you about. . becoming the entertainer. . :rolleyes: damn the rain... there's only so much housework i can convince them is fun :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

Sorry everyone almost forgot :rolleyes: the head is a bit fried this week . I had my beautiful baby girl Lily last Thursday morning , she was a respectable 8lbs 3oz and it was a very quick birth I landed into hospital at half five in the morning and she was born at nine in the morning .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Sorry everyone almost forgot :rolleyes: the head is a bit fried this week . I had my beautiful baby girl Lily last Thursday morning , she was a respectable 8lbs 3oz and it was a very quick birth I landed into hospital at half five in the morning and she was born at nine in the morning .

That's great, congrats! Nice to hear everything went smoothly.

BTW I'm heading in for my 20-22 week scan on Tuesday in Holles Street (public) and I was wondering what the delays are like? My OH is wondering would we be in on time and out fairly quick cos he's in work that day and heading back again (if we're out early-ish). My appointment is at 2.30pm is that makes a difference?

nicowa wrote: »

BTW I'm heading in for my 20-22 week scan on Tuesday in Holles Street (public) and I was wondering what the delays are like? My OH is wondering would we be in on time and out fairly quick cos he's in work that day and heading back again (if we're out early-ish). My appointment is at 2.30pm is that makes a difference?

Crazyginlady, that's great news, congratulations! :D Lily's a beautiful name.

Nicowa, I had my 22 week scan in Holles Street, back in June (I think) and it was really quick. I didn't have to wait long for the appointment at all. There was one couple a head of us, so we just had to wait for them to finish and we were in there.

Just a bit of a warning, the girl who does it certainly knows what she's doing, she's very good at what she does, but she can be a bit 'matter of fact' and a bit, not rushed but kind of very quick at it. So if you have any questions, make sure you ask them and if she's going too fast with it all don't be afraid to ask her to slow down. She is lovely and will answer any question you have. Some one on here warned me about her before I went so I was ready for her :D That's if it's the same woman that does it of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

I had an appointment for my first scan back in June in Holles Street Public and it was for 2pm so we arrived at 1.40pm and checked in and we were seen at 2pm and it was very quick so Id say go in around 2pm and check in and hopefully you wont be waiting too long

Thanks guys! Unfortunately the office set up a conference call for around that time on Tuesday... So he probably won't be able to make it. My mum is up for a few days next week, might get her to come.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

13 weeks today and finally able to hear heartbeat on home Doppler! Delighted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

dublinlady wrote: »
    13 weeks today and finally able to hear heartbeat on home Doppler! Delighted! :)

That's great :)

What make is your doppler and where did you get it ? Thanks

Thanks guys! Unfortunately the office set up a conference call for around that time on Tuesday... So he probably won't be able to make it. My mum is up for a few days next week, might get her to come.. :)

Ah no Nicowa, that's a shame about your o/h. Hope your mum can make it in with you. I'd say she'll be well chuffed to be asked would she? Hope all goes well with it

Congrats Dublin Lady on getting t the 13 weeks!

29 weeks here wooohooo...it's flying by. Was like a bear with a sore head all weekend....just fed up...too tired to do anything but so much to do lol. Hubby has been a total legend all weekend.

I have my glucose intolerence test today...so should be another day of them jumping all over my arm to get some blood out of it. They dread seeing me coming for a blood test as much as I dread going, so at least that's something :D

I'm also convinced that I won't make it back out of the hosp today. Last app there was a trace of protein....so now if my bp does go up there's no way they're gonna set me free....so I'm bringing a shovel incase I have to tunnel my way out :p

Does anyone know if it's too early for braxton hicks? I got these really strange pains in the bottom of my tummy last night, and everytime I felt them junior moved, so it seemed he was feeling them too...but he also could have been the cause of them with whichever way he was trying to move so I'm not sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think it was around 20 weeks when I got Branston Hicks, especially in the bath or in meetings!! Any quite time, it was like a hollow period pain at the base of the bump starting off and when I got really big it started at the sides and traveled across the bump.

I have my glucose intolerence test today...so should be another day of them jumping all over my arm to get some blood out of it. They dread seeing me coming for a blood test as much as I dread going, so at least that's something :D

I know the feeling. I was like a pincushion coming out of my first appointment and they still didn't get anything out of me. I'm going in before my scan tomorrow to try again. They'll have to draw from the hand though cos my elbows have not gotten any better.

When do they do the glucose intolerence test or is that only necessary sometimes?

Hope everything went well and you're home this evening! :D

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

29 weeks here wooohooo...it's flying by. Was like a bear with a sore head all weekend....just fed up...too tired to do anything but so much to do lol. Hubby has been a total legend all weekend.

Drink plenty of water today so you're well hydrated, the more hydrated you are the better chance there is of getting a vein! Once they give you the super tasty drink, you're on nil by mouth for the hour before they to the bloods, so you won't be able to top up on the water then. When I had my booking bloods the girl couldn't get a vein in my arm and it was total drama cos I fainted and the whole lot, I drank pints of water the night before the glucose test and it was all over in seconds. Hopefully it'll all be grand and you won't have to go back for another one.
    Does anyone know if it's too early for braxton hicks? I got these really strange pains in the bottom of my tummy last night, and everytime I felt them junior moved, so it seemed he was feeling them too...but he also could have been the cause of them with whichever way he was trying to move so I'm not sure?
    I've had braxton hicks since about 26 weeks, I think it can affect everyone differently though, but definitely mention it to your doctor just to be sure everything's ok.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When do they do the glucose intolerence test or is that only necessary sometimes?

Midwife said to me that they do it between 27 and 30 weeks, apparently the closer you can get it to 30 weeks the better. I was told in Holles St that everyone gets it, although apparently it can differ depending on the hospital.

Basically the first one they do is called the Glucose Challenge test, which is where they bring you in in the morning (not fasting, eat your brekkie as normal) then they give you a 'delicious' drink (not delicious, tastes like crap and looks like radioactive wee!!) and then you can't eat/drink/smoke/chew gum for an hour and then they'll do a blood draw to see how you're breaking down the sugar.

You phone the next day and get your results, if they're normal then you're all good, if they're high you'll be called back for a Glucose Tolerance Test. Basically for that one (from what the little info leaflet told me) you arrive in the morning and have been fasting from the night before, then they'll draw blood. Then they'll give you the drink, draw more blood one hour, two hours and three hours later.

The midwife said to me that sometimes your challenge results come back high and it can be due to something you ate before the test, and you might not necessarily have diabetes, that's why you could be sent for a further test, so to try not to worry too much if you're sent for the 3 hour test. Thank god my challenge results came back fine, I wasn't so much worried about the diabetes, it was more like worrying about how I'd get through 4 blood draws in one morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Different hospitals have different policies - some send everyone for it, others restrict it to those with a BMI of over 27 and those with a family history of diabetes/gestational diabetes. In Kilkenny it's done between 27 and 31 weeks - I have mine tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Different hospitals have different policies - some send everyone for it, others restrict it to those with a BMI of over 27 and those with a family history of diabetes/gestational diabetes. In Kilkenny it's done between 27 and 31 weeks - I have mine tomorrow!
    I'm attending the Rotunda, second pregnancy. No diabetes on my first but I am a possibility this time around due to having pancreatitis in the past year. My BMI is 29. I've been told that unless I show up sugar in my urine that there is no need for a GTT. 28 weeks now & I won't be back in the hospital for another 6 so it looks like I've escaped!

Avril123 wrote: »
    dublinlady wrote: »

That's great :)

What make is your doppler and where did you get it ? Thanks

Thanks ladies :)
    Its a hi bebe, it's fab, cost 80 euro and my husband bought it online, not sure of the website, but there was a more expensive one which would display the heartrate but it was alot more and it's easy enough to count yourself! Baby's heartrate is at 168 this week, no idea if this is normal but it sounds lovely!!!
    I keep wishing the weeks away... Dying for a bump, dying for movement, have to keep reminding myself to calm down!

• Advertisement

Well I escaped capture...only just :D BP is borderline again, so I've to go back to the day ward tomorrow and get a BP series done....I don't mind it now....it's my 3rd time going back for one and the day ward is like a little peaceful sanctuary so I'll bring my mag, chill out and enjoy the quiet :D

My mum has diabetes, which I guess is why I got the glucose thing, actually I must remember to ring them for the results.

Don't worry about the veins Nicowa...just one go yesterday and blood was flowing. I had to go back 3 times for booking bloods, so I was dreading it yesterday but it was grand. One nurse said it was because your veins improve with the pregnancy, but the one who took the blood said it was her skill...so I don't know what the truth is, but it worked that's the main thing.

Dublin Lady....it's hard at the early stages, but once you get a bump and feel those kicks, you'll be wishing the pregnancy would never end. We have great fun with the little guy at night time trying to make him kick back at us :D

Oh and good luck with the scan today Nicowa :D

Toots* wrote: »
    I've had braxton hicks since about 26 weeks, I think it can affect everyone differently though, but definitely mention it to your doctor just to be sure everything's ok.

I asked her about the braxton hicks and she looked at me funny :D There was a small scanning machine in the room, so she said we'd have a cheeky look at junior and she'd see if she could see anything re the braxton hicks (what exactly she was looking for I don't know). Anyhow she had a look and she said...no everything was normal, but that baby's head was down there so it might have been that. So I don't know what indications the scan gives, but she seemed to rule it out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Braxton hicks happen all through the pregnancy and get stronger the further along you go. . they increase the blood flow to the uterus and prepare the muscles for labour. .:) some people don't feel them much and others find them painful . . i get them alot at night.. my tummy goes rock hard and it's usually juniors most active time. . about 9pm til 11ish .. he goes nuts. . i think he's breakdancing or practising for escape. . .:eek:
    it could be round ligament pain you feel, or maybe he's lying or poking an internal organ ..engaged head can put a lot of pressure on the lady garden area:D but with the second baby it doesn't happen as early .. mightn't even happen til you go into labour..
    sometimes if i lie on my right side i get indigestion and i'll have to get up to go to the loo, if i lie on my left side i get pains in my lower tummy. . i can't lie on my back cos my lower back will get sore so i spend the night rolling. . much to my husbands delight :D i have woken up a few times on my tummy :eek: and panicked in case i squished him, but the minute i roll over he's getting his own back. . :rolleyes:

Well I escaped capture...only just :D BP is borderline again, so I've to go back to the day ward tomorrow and get a BP series done....I don't mind it now....it's my 3rd time going back for one and the day ward is like a little peaceful sanctuary so I'll bring my mag, chill out and enjoy the quiet :D

My mum has diabetes, which I guess is why I got the glucose thing, actually I must remember to ring them for the results.

Don't worry about the veins Nicowa...just one go yesterday and blood was flowing. I had to go back 3 times for booking bloods, so I was dreading it yesterday but it was grand. One nurse said it was because your veins improve with the pregnancy, but the one who took the blood said it was her skill...so I don't know what the truth is, but it worked that's the main thing.

Dublin Lady....it's hard at the early stages, but once you get a bump and feel those kicks, you'll be wishing the pregnancy would never end. We have great fun with the little guy at night time trying to make him kick back at us :D

Oh and good luck with the scan today Nicowa :D

Oh god I'm so excited about that!!! I can't imagine being able to feel him/her moving!!! And I can't wait fir my hubbie to be able feel it too, sometimes I think it's easy for them not to fully believe there's s real baby in there!! Not sure I do myself!! Hehe! A lovely time to look forward to! Although as you say I think I'll be moaning about something until I'm holding my baba!!

What does your bp series involve? Like a few hrs monitoring or sonething? As ya say these things can be a pain, but always worth investigating just for peace of mind!

Also ... Full sympathy to any of you experiencing braxton hicks, hope ye ok and not getting them too often :)

Gah! Stupid glucose is a little high so I've to go back for a glucose tolerance test...iron is low...9.4 it should be 11 or something? And me bp is in the middle. I'm so annoyed....not with the hospital, it's not their fault, but I'm having a lovely peaceful pregnancy this time, or at least I was and jees now everything's going wrong! Well not really, but that's what it feels like. :o

The BP Series takes about an hour Dublin Lady, they sit you down and take about 3 readings and check the heartbeat and stuff. It's a lovely calm relaxed room, with lovely big leather chairs, so it's no hassle and then hopefully they send you on your way *fingers crossed*

I don't think mine was Braxton hicks in the end Cbyrd, it certainly felt like that to me, but the doctor said she couldn't see anything that would indicate it. I'll ask them tomorrow what she was looking for :D

Sounds like you're in and out of the hospital the whole time Hannibal! Got my booking bloods done todays. I was practically waving my arms in the air (like I just don't care) to get the blood flowing and she went slightly left of the elbow but she got her three vials on the first go so I was happy. I had noticed that the veins in my hands (and legs and boobs!) got bigger but not in my elbows (the ones you can see on the top anyway).

Scan went fine, weight and size is right for dates and no sign of abnormalities. Got a load of pics for himself so he's fairly happy. Mam came in with me which was nice. Things have improved quite a bit since her day she says :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

38 weeks todayyy!!! :D
    On maternity leave since last Friday, but have to unofficially go in two days this week :(
    Can't wait for baby to make an appearance now! Am having manic urges to clean and organise and pack for moving soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Gah! Stupid glucose is a little high so I've to go back for a glucose tolerance test...iron is low...9.4 it should be 11 or something? And me bp is in the middle. I'm so annoyed....not with the hospital, it's not their fault, but I'm having a lovely peaceful pregnancy this time, or at least I was and jees now everything's going wrong! Well not really, but that's what it feels like. :o

The BP Series takes about an hour Dublin Lady, they sit you down and take about 3 readings and check the heartbeat and stuff. It's a lovely calm relaxed room, with lovely big leather chairs, so it's no hassle and then hopefully they send you on your way *fingers crossed*

I don't think mine was Braxton hicks in the end Cbyrd, it certainly felt like that to me, but the doctor said she couldn't see anything that would indicate it. I'll ask them tomorrow what she was looking for :D

When I said it to the hospital they just accepted it as if I had said 'I have a sore back!'

The only thing was as soon as I got them once I had them every day without fail. The only day I dont remember having them was the day my waters broke!

hah! the nurse took only two readings today when the doctor comes over to me and says...why do they keep sending you over here, your BP is fine....it might be a little bit up on Clinic days, but other than that it's grand and she sent me packing....I officially love her :D It's so nice to get a doctor that is chilled and relaxed :D

Just the Glucose Tolerance Test to get passed now and hopefully I'll be hospital free for a while....sorry for my tantrum yesterday :o

Delighted the scan went well Nicowa, did you find out the gender? :D

Liliq, you're flying along you lucky thing...won't be long for you now. While i was in the hosp today there were 3 women around me all waiting for sections...so hopefully by the end of today they'll all be holding their little ones. So exciting :D

wmpdd3, it seems it was just a once off, I haven't felt anything like it since, so maybe it was just a weird head movement or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 beanser

Hi everyone, can't seem to find a newbie thread in here so just gonna say hello from here!

I've been lurking for a while, it's about time I came out of the woodwork. I'm 26 weeks today according to the scans, due around the end of November, and apart from a couple of little scares with bleeds everything is going great.

I have one son already, but he's 19 now, so there's a MASSIVE gap! Don't know yet if we're having a boy or a girl this time, gonna leave it to be a surprise - when I had my son you weren't allowed find out!

Been enjoying reading everyone's posts, so hope to join in a bit more from now on : )

Advertisement