Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptops Deals Thread [*Updated Daily*]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

most old type rechargable batteries used suffer from a memory effect where the battery would not last as long as it used to if it was not allowed discharge fully on a regular basis. ie let the battery run down to nothing regularly and then fully charge it without plugging it out. nicad and nimh suffered from this. when i used to work aircaft emergency lighting batteries they called this deep cycling.

most of the time when a laptop powers off due to lack of battery power there is a few percent left in the battery so it never gets fully discharged and maybe this doesnt help most laptop batteries.

i know a lot of batteries are now lithium and when i got a nokia 6310i a few years back the lithium polymer battery was excellent and didnt seem to suffer from any memory effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

okidoki987 wrote: »
    That's interesting as I have a problem with a Dell Laptop battery that is going belly up after 12 months and 4 days.
    Pop up appears "battery is at the end of it's useful life".
    4-5 hours usage most days since got last Xmas.
    Went back to PC World where it was bought, explained the problem to bloke and manager who happened to be standing there, said to me "battery only lasts about 6-12 months, people leave the leads in instead of letting the battery run out and then recharge it, this wears the battery out very quickly".
    Is he talking ***** or what do people reckon?
    It was the bog standard battery in it.
    I think he's talking asterisks. As tapfit says, older batteries needed to occasionally have a deep cycle done (an old Powerbook we had used to ask us to do it and had a utility that basically closed all filehandles and waited for the battery to run out completely before you plugged it back in to recharge - something like once a week).

On the newer lithium-ion batteries this isn't necessary and probably would wear them out faster. They should last for many years, unless you're frequently using it on battery power until it runs out.
    If you've been keeping it plugged in mostly and the lithium battery is dead, then it was probably faulty - the warranty should cover that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    most old type rechargable batteries used suffer from a memory effect where the battery would not last as long as it used to if it was not allowed discharge fully on a regular basis. ie let the battery run down to nothing regularly and then fully charge it without plugging it out. nicad and nimh suffered from this. when i used to work aircaft emergency lighting batteries they called this deep cycling.

most of the time when a laptop powers off due to lack of battery power there is a few percent left in the battery so it never gets fully discharged and maybe this doesnt help most laptop batteries.

i know a lot of batteries are now lithium and when i got a nokia 6310i a few years back the lithium polymer battery was excellent and didnt seem to suffer from any memory effect.

Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer are two different battery types and could (and I believe do) behave differently.

One thing that can really kill li-ion batteries is heat. Over time the heat from the laptop itself(even if it doesn't feel like a lot) could cause the battery to degrade severely. If you're using for a long time while connected to the mains then I'd recommend pulling out the battery if you want to preserve the battery as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Any codes lately guys? I'm looking at an Inspiron desktop < 700 euros..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Latest Dell Voucher Codes:

5% off all Studio,Inspiron & XPS orders with 2010 Intel® Core over EUR 729

Vaid from: 3rd Feb - 9th Feb
    Voucher Code: 41VCV5C1G9LR1Z

10% off all Studio, Inspiron & XPS orders with 2010 Intel® Core over EUR 899

Vaid from: 3rd Feb - 9th Feb
    Voucher Code: GZSSH0MQ5RB6T?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mtkenne2

hi guys,as of yesterday,have no laptop,7 yr old daughter spilled oxtail soup all over it,any ideas? took extended warranty with dell,at the time said it was accidental damage,lo and behold now they said its now covered.i have a studio 1537,just hoping hard drive isnt fecked,now this laptop is end of life therefore just wondering whats the next best thing? hopefully someone could shed some light on this,cheers.................all bargain laptops as good as this welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

guys in 2day paper there was a big dell ad with offers for inspirion and xps 15....but theys seems to be a bit crappy.when u go to the web page and look for details the price given in the ad appears to be a joke.honestly.779 without a bluetooth and recovery disc...with basic warranty.folks for me its not a good at all:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

anyone any offer codes atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

10% off all Studio, Inspiron & XPS orders with 2010 Intel Core over €899 with the code.
    Voucher reliability: 100%
    Did the code work? Y / NCode: GP5GT3R6D9N5FS
    Expires: 23 Feb 2011

5% off all Studio,Inspiron & XPS orders with 2010 Intel Core over €729 with the code.
    Voucher reliability: 100%
    Did the code work? Y / NCode: 6CS6SWTB8$H6L7
    Expires: 23 Feb 2011

thanks for those, i was going to order tomorrow when I get paid.. they'll be expired :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mp3kid

DRakE wrote: »
    thanks for those, i was going to order tomorrow when I get paid.. they'll be expired :(

Order now, they mightnt charge you straight away.

do new codes come up as soon as the old ones expire? problem with ordering now is i dont have the money in my account in case they do try to charge me to day :(

do new codes come up as soon as the old ones expire? problem with ordering now is i dont have the money in my account in case they do try to charge me to day :(

Not sure about every day but certainly every couple of weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭sk282

Just order now and see if it goes through. They will contact you if there is a problem and even if the payment is delayed, your order date should make the voucher valid. 10% codes don't come as often as they used to I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,924 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The 5% off vouchers are repetitive so wait a couple of days and there will be a new lot issued.

had a quick scout around this morning

B$WHLMRGKK7W0N - 5% Off All Studio, Inspiron & XPS Orders Over £749 with Intel® Core at Dell
    H9SH$1?PPVD4S7 - 10% Off All Studio, Inspiron & XPS Orders Over £899 with Intel® Core at Dell (this one says £899 but my order came to £830 and the code worked, knocked off £81.70)

both are due to expire March 2nd 2011

B$WHLMRGKK7W0N - 5% Off All Studio, Inspiron & XPS Orders Over £749 with Intel® Core at Dell
    H9SH$1?PPVD4S7 - 10% Off All Studio, Inspiron & XPS Orders Over £899 with Intel® Core at Dell (this one says £899 but my order came to £830 and the code worked, knocked off £81.70)

Hope you used fatcheese.ie for an extra 6 percent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Are there any codes/vouchers for Alienware laptops knocking about at the moment that anyone knows of?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

how doest work??i try to apply these cupons but no discount is shown afterwords

• Registered Users Posts: 45,924 ✭✭✭✭muffler

10% Off All Studio, Inspiron & XPS Orders Over €899 - 9H0B31$LR6K?4C

Valid till March 2

• Advertisement

Save an extra 10% on selected electronics and accessories when you use this coupon code at checkout. 1V41MB813Q?WWK (expires 30.04.11)

got this in my email:
    5% OFF A STUDIO XPS LAPTOP

COUPON CODE: HWDKTM89N8NWVZ

Don't miss out! Save 5% off a Dell Studio XPS Laptop when you spend £749 or above. Just enter the coupon code at checkout to claim your discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

I'm thinking of buying a netbook and would be really grateful for any advice anyone may have.

I'm going to be traveling a lot over the summer so my main purpose for it would be for Skype and some surfing.

Anyone any recommendations on what to buy?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Any new codes for dell desktops folks>?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gunn3rs

Hi all, is there any new codes for XPS laptops?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭shmeee

gunn3rs wrote: »
    Hi all, is there any new codes for XPS laptops?

Got this e-mail today:

10% Additional Discount

Offer Valid on all Studio, Inspiron & XPS Systems with minimum unit value €749. Offer ends 30/03/2011

Use this code at checkout: ?1XQ11KT5JD8M3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Dell IE Voucher Code

Get 5% off all Studio,Inspiron and XPS orders with 2010 Intel Core over €599
    Code: 6?$X9CND$1M1BG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gunn3rs

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rk1234dublin

5% off all Studio,Inspiron & XPS orders with 2010 Intel® Core over EUR599

Vaid from: 31st Mar - 6th Apr

Voucher Code: ?NM085DWQ007D4

10% off all Studio,Inspiron & XPS orders with 2010 Intel® Core over EUR749

Vaid from: 31st Mar - 6th Apr

Voucher Code: NS1LS$63$4$2LH

This discussion has been closed.