Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptops Deals Thread [*Updated Daily*]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hey Keano,

My GF was asking me to find her a laptop and independently came up with this one. Looks like a great machine for the money. How are you finding it for more than just surfing though?

Also it looks very light according to the specs, would you say thats true?
    I can't fault it anyway. Ya it is light. Barely feel it on your lap.

So far I have only been surfing on it myself, if you want me to try anything else let me know.

Edit: Actually, one small criticism is the key below the mousepad needs to be pressed a bit harder than other laptops I have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks.

Mouse pad shouldn't be too much of an issue as she has a bluetooth mouse (and one of those small little bt adapters).

Thanks for the offer but I'd say will suit her ok, she wont be using it for that much , probably some document editing, browsing and itunes would be the limit I'd imainge. She might chance Auto cad (2d) on it, but i dont think she's expecting it to work (but i dont see why it wouldnt!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thanks.

Mouse pad shouldn't be too much of an issue as she has a bluetooth mouse (and one of those small little bt adapters).

Thanks for the offer but I'd say will suit her ok, she wont be using it for that much , probably some document editing, browsing and itunes would be the limit I'd imainge. She might chance Auto cad (2d) on it, but i dont think she's expecting it to work (but i dont see why it wouldnt!)
    I actually use a separate mouse as well.

For what she will be using it for it will be more than capable. It's a very good spec so I reckon it should run Autocad easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Any discount codes floating around at the moment? Looking at ordering one of the new XPS models.

Edit: used 8R0DT4SNX1Z8D1 for 5% off

• Registered Users Posts: 45,946 ✭✭✭✭muffler

5% off also with 72WF0?MT7057LR. Expires 3/11/2010. Min. spend on XPS = €749

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Anybody got any more 5% codes? Looking all of the net for one but can't find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

5% off with VLHN4$B7WZ89MN

Usual terms Studio,XPS,Inspiron min €749

Expires 10/11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a little bit of laptop advice. I need to purchase one and the budget is tight.

I know nothing about specs etc and basically i need the laptop for part-time college.

I need something that can connect to my wireless 5mb Broadband

I need to be able to view online lectures of 1 hr+

I need to be able to do assignments etc

I also need something that i could install an accounts package on

Would this be suitable in you expert opinion.
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_K50C-SX009V_743601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jovem

Yes, Collegeme...this machine could do all of the above with relative ease.

Download open office as a valid alternative to ms office, if money's tight. Will be able to do all of yoir spreadsheet / word processing tasks without any difficulty and is 100 percent free
    E

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Right lads... I am in a pickle.

I am going on a 11 month round the world trip in july and I need a cheap, light, reliable and reasonably cheap laptop (sub 500 if possible), would prefer if it had an optical drive and was 13"+. would be a blessing if it could run a few games (think football manager, not Battle field).

any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

i cannot believe Irish people are still buying Dell products Im not trying to enrage but what about the thousands left unemployed in limerick. I say vote with your feet and buy elsewhere.:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i cannot believe Irish people are still buying Dell products Im not trying to enrage but what about the thousands left unemployed in limerick. I say vote with your feet and buy elsewhere.:mad:

I don't shop based on what the company has done for this country but if I did I'd probably still buy a dell. I could be wrong but I'd say dell hire more people in Ireland than every other computer manufacturer combined and have done more than every other computer manufacturer combined for this country and it's economy. This boycott dell stuff is horse shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

A Bangladeshi 4 year old probably produced several items of your clothing, hope you've researched the provenance of your clobber and discarded accordingly but no, you're right, Dell were wrong to try to reduce costs and increase shareholder dividends......the rotters.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Hi there has anyone any current voucher codes for Dell???

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

5% code KD0$N5982L0N2H
    usual terms, Studio, Inspiron, XPS
    min value €749 valid until 24/11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

I don't shop based on what the company has done for this country but if I did I'd probably still buy a dell. I could be wrong but I'd say dell hire more people in Ireland than every other computer manufacturer combined and have done more than every other computer manufacturer combined for this country and it's economy. This boycott dell stuff is horse shít.

agree,but apple employ as many if not more.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

soundsham wrote: »
    agree,but apple employ as many if not more.....

Last time I heard apple employed just under 2000 people here. Dell before the pullout had about 4,500 employees take out the 1,900 they culled and your still about 2,500 and that isn't including the staff that work in alienware in athlone (that's if they're still there). So dell employs a few extra hundred but apple still have a large commitment here. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Back on topic.....

Finally the outlet is back in some shape or form. The UI a bit fancier but they feck all stock! The do have an Inspiron N7010 for 419+vat. Sounds good to me. I'm on the lookout for a laptop with 15" screen for 350. Can't seen anything except from the UK.
    •Inspiron 17R
    •Processor: Intel®Core™ i3 - 350M 2.26Ghz / 3M
    •Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    •Hard Drive : 320GB Serial ATA (5400RPM)
    •3GB,DDR3,1333MHZ,2 DIMM
    •8X DVD+RW
    •17.3HDF+,AUO,N7010

Dell Outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Back on topic.....

Finally the outlet is back in some shape or form. The UI a bit fancier but they feck all stock! The do have an Inspiron N7010 for 419+vat. Sounds good to me. I'm on the lookout for a laptop with 15" screen for 350. Can't seen anything except from the UK.

Dell Outlet

Looks good, is it Intel HD Graphics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Looks like its a 17.3" HD+ (1600 x 900) WLED Display with TrueLife™ with an "Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator" based on specs on US dell site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Any valid codes of late guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,946 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gileadi wrote: »
    Any valid codes of late guys?
    TPXTK7$9P73GT? will get you 5% off.

Applies to the usual Studio, XPS, Inspiron with a min spend of €749

Expires 08/12/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Any Dell codes in date guys?

Will be spending max €500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Any good deals coming up? Looking to buy in the next few weeks.

Not too impressed with what I've seen so far on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Any good deals coming up? Looking to buy in the next few weeks.

Not too impressed with what I've seen so far on the website.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Heading out to see if there are any Dell offers in the paper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wait a few week, maybe even 2 months. New Intel processors being released soon, will be vastly improved performances at lower rates. Worth waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Whats the average battery lifespan of a Dell? Doesn't seem to state on some of the laptop specs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It depends on how you use it.
    Dell recommend that you leave it pulgged in all the time.
    If you do that the battery will be fecked in about 2 years.
    If not then you could get a fiar bit more, but again it all depends on how you use it.

If you mean how many hours the battery lasts for then that depends on the laptop and no of cells in the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Dell recommend that you leave it pulgged in all the time.
    If you do that the battery will be fecked in about 2 years.
    If not then you could get a fiar bit more, but again it all depends on how you use it.

That's interesting as I have a problem with a Dell Laptop battery that is going belly up after 12 months and 4 days.
    Pop up appears "battery is at the end of it's useful life".
    4-5 hours usage most days since got last Xmas.
    Went back to PC World where it was bought, explained the problem to bloke and manager who happened to be standing there, said to me "battery only lasts about 6-12 months, people leave the leads in instead of letting the battery run out and then recharge it, this wears the battery out very quickly".
    Is he talking ***** or what do people reckon?
    It was the bog standard battery in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement