Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% foreign people in Ireland now - highest in Europe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Seanies32 wrote:
    I think we may have found the answer to a lot of the problems. Integration!

Forced integration?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Forced integration?
    :D
    No, maybe social and affordable housing. That shocking idea!:rolleyes:
    Ghettoes aren't a good idea.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Forced integration?
    Yes! At gunpoint.
    Welcome to Paddy 101, take an aaron jumper from the pile then move down the line to collect your pint of Guinness and handy phrase book.
    The first Wednesday of every month, new arrivals take a field trip to the Blarney stone to collect their gift of the gab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Alot of Asian women are pretty fine....
    I think we may have found the answer to a lot of the problems. Widescale ridery and hittage of it! And give the men teh ghey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Mairt wrote:
    Nice post, but your going to encounter the very same problems here.

Me for instance. I've done 22yrs in the Defence Forces and for the last few had planned on retiring at 21 yrs (with pension) and setting myself up with a taxi to suppliment my pension. As I come from an IT section I'm also qualified for other work too and if I was in dire straits security work would have been another option.

So where do I find myself now?.. Well I'm still in the Defence Forces, I studied for and passed my S.P.V.S. (taxi) test and worked it for a short time. But its not viable anymore due to the number of (mostly Africans) immigrants licenced and working it now. So I looked at the IT sector, same problem there but with East Europeans working for a salery I couldn't possibly live on. So I'm stuck in the army and am genuinely scared of what the future holds for me and my children.

Here's another. My family have lived in Ballymun since it 1969. We lived in the 'flats first then in the 80's got a house in Poppintree, its a three bed.

Due to unfortunete circunstances my younger brother and my sister broke up with their partners. My brother & sister both have one child each. And all living with my parents in the three bed house.

All was looking rosie with the Ballymun regeneration project, but as new apartments and house's became availably both my brother and sister was pushed further and further back on the waiting list as immigrants where given priority on availably housing.

okay you situation plus being in foreign country....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'd like to know why we are in deficit if an extra 20% are working here, wheres all that money being spent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kev_85

I think we should set some quota for the amount we let in each year. For example 2,000 from poland, 2,000 from latvia, 200 from nigeria etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

MooseJam wrote:
    I'd like to know why we are in deficit if an extra 20% are working here, wheres all that money being spent

That money was spent winning an ELECTION.

Its very normal for the GOV to over spend in every sector to make the Economy look over hyped before election.

What do you think if they had this health service recruitment freeze before election do you think the same GOV will be in power ?

Once the election is gone and they are back in GOV. Now they don't care.

The same short dart carriages.
    Transportation nightmares
    All those Green promises :D

I am not being biased here as i dont support any party.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MooseJam wrote:
    The main deficits where in VAT, Stamp Duty, Excise Duties and Capital Gains. Not PAYE/PRSI.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crianp

I was just watching the RTE news and it shocked me how biased the television station was regarding this immigration situation. They compared the Irish Situation to that of Amsterdam which is also a problem but they could have picked one of the other cities around the world where immigration actually works but I think this is rather telling of the European Mindset, you want to force integration instead of letting it just happen like it does in the USA. Creating a quota is even worse I think, no other country in the world does that so why should Ireland start. Over 100,000 people immigrate to the USA every year and do you hear them making a fuss over it, I think not, European people just need to grow up and realize that preserving your culture is a waste of time, the Irish culture will always exist but not in the form it is today and people just need to accept that.

• Advertisement

crianp wrote:
    I was just watching the RTE news and it shocked me how biased the television station was regarding this immigration situation. They compared the Irish Situation to that of Amsterdam which is also a problem but they could have picked one of the other cities around the world where immigration actually works but I think this is rather telling of the European Mindset, you want to force integration instead of letting it just happen like it does in the USA. Creating a quota is even worse I think, no other country in the world does that so why should Ireland start. Over 100,000 people immigrate to the USA every year and do you hear them making a fuss over it, I think not, European people just need to grow up and realize that preserving your culture is a waste of time, the Irish culture will always exist but not in the form it is today and people just need to accept that.

Hahaha, we are talking about a country that has civilian vigilante border patrols on the Us/Mexican border. Yeah, i think the US has a problem with outsiders in general bud, what planet are you living on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crianp

Did I even say I was talking about the South, why don't you actually visit America before you speak. Go to a town called Worcester, Massachusetts and see what real intergration is about. As far as planet goes, the planet I live on is showing a decided trend towards human integration and immigration, people are moving all over the world... you need to accept that as opposed to fight it, take a look at the latest DHS stats before you open your ignorant mouth. Accept people for who they are and do not fight them because they do not fit the mold of European.

crianp wrote:
    Did I even say I was talking about the South, why don't you actually visit America before you speak. Go to a town called Worcester, Massachusetts and see what real intergration is about. As far as planet goes, the planet I live on is showing a decided trend towards human integration and immigration, people are moving all over the world... you need to accept that as opposed to fight it, take a look at the latest DHS stats before you open your ignorant mouth. Accept people for who they are and do not fight them because they do not fit the mold of European.

So we should just swing the doors open then? Right, that will help. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

crianp wrote:
    Over 100,000 people immigrate to the USA every year and do you hear them making a fuss over it
    The US has a population of over 300,000,000 so its pretty easy to intergrate 100,000 immigrants into that population, thats like 1 new immigrant for ever 3,000 residents. That figure here is 1 new immigrant for every 40 residents. Simply put, Ireland doesn't have the infrastructure to absorb the current influx. Take the roads for example, have you ever seen as many cars on the roads as before. If 1 in 4 immgrants drive a car and 100,000 arrive every year thats 25,000 new cars on the road. Don't get me started on schools and hospitals!!!

crianp wrote:
    European people just need to grow up and realize that preserving your culture is a waste of time, the Irish culture will always exist but not in the form it is today and people just need to accept that.
    Hey genius, you go over to Nigeria or China and say that about their culture, you'll be lucky if all you get is a machete twixt the blues.

crianp wrote:
    European people just need to grow up and realize that preserving your culture is a waste of time, the Irish culture will always exist but not in the form it is today and people just need to accept that.

Yeah, lets just lay down and let our great Irish culture die. Thank god people like you are in a small minority. Are you Irish btw?

crianp wrote:

Ive been trying to think of saying something without getting myself banned. All I can say is, thank god people like you are in a small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

crianp wrote:
    Did I even say I was talking about the South,

You said you were talking about America and Americans. The South is part of America, and populated (partially, at least) by Americans.
    Go to a town called Worcester, Massachusetts and see what real intergration is about.
    So you weren't talknig about America, but rather Worcester? I'm pretty sure Worcester isn't getting 100,000 immigrants a year.

See, if you make your argument about America, then you don't get to pick which parts of America we look at to see if your argument is correct.....we do.
    before you open your ignorant mouth.
    Insult those who disagree with you...great way to convince them you've got a reasonable, rational argument. Good man. Keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

It's just simple. There are two many in this country at the moment. A lot of them are coming over not making an effort to mix in.

We're so easy going we're letting them get away with it, but just like everywhere else once the jobs start going people will look for someone to blame.

I don't like people who come to live here that don't know anything about our history and culture....yes we do have culture, though it's more or less dead in Dublin city centre.

**** the integration for the moment, lets close stop the inflow firstly and then deal with integration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the same people clamouring over muslim integration here are probably many of the same people who would be mightily offended at the notion that a western woman oughta wera burkha if she were visiting saudi arabia, iran or wherever.

cultural sensitivity cuts both ways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Sorry guys, had to contribute this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40U063Oh83c

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

bobmeaney wrote:
    Sorry guys, had to contribute this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40U063Oh83c
    Nice one.

Lol and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

He took your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

He took my post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just to make the point, most of the people who are in long term unemployment now, were in long term unemployment before.

No one has taken their job - they didnt have jobs in the first place.

There are a few examples of companies replacing Irish nationals with non-nationals to pay lower wages (think Gama & Irish Ferries). But that's Gama and Irish Ferries fault, not the immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭liberty 2007

DonJose wrote:
    Take the roads for example, have you ever seen as many cars on the roads as before. If 1 in 4 immgrants drive a car and 100,000 arrive every year thats 25,000 new cars on the road.!
    And they're not used to driving on this side of the road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Hashbrown

A recent survey
    asked the following question:

Are there too many foreigners in this
    country now ?

Answer:

20%: YES

10% : NO

70% :معهد الأمن العالمي بواشنط

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Well, not really. NO Irish would have it for the hours(which are half what I did in the states for the same pay), so acquiring a permit wasn't too difficult. Which is sort of what's goin on in the States. Many immigrants do jobs Americans won't do....Like building a fence on the border, say...
    Currently there are an estimated 60,000 Irish citizens in the States illegally, btw. The US isn't concerned. Right now the US is too busy concentrating on illegal mexican immigrants whom are basically the backbone of their economy...

ALL culture is worth protecting, especially one as beautiful and storied as the Irish. I'm NOT Irish and even I know that statement from crianp was rubbish.

The US _DO_ place limitations and quotas on immigration, either directly or by defacto regulations. The US is far more strict than it once was. Much more so than Ireland is. The way many immigrate to the US is via jobs, marriage, or just illegally. The US immigration service is so busy, the chances of being deported without actually committing a serious crime is virtually nonexistant.

Back to Ireland. I spent plenty of time in immigration being grilled with questions and proving whom I was, that I could work, was permitted, could give references, etc. And this was with an American passport and €2900 in my pocket, let alone what's in my bank account. So the government is doing it's job at making sure as best it can that most landing on your shores do so legally, and don't seem too desperate. So, this means a good amount of your immigration is for jobs the Irish do not do, or not enough do. Very similar to the US(only the US has a huge border that is virtually unmanned). Once these jobs are filled, or the economy slows, the influx will slow, or outflow - though it's doubtful to outflow anytime soon as a large amount of the immigrants are polish and middle eastern.

Yes, get used to it. N0, do not allow it unabated. And protect and promote your culture as best you can. You didn't fight with the Brits for 800 years simply to let Pols come in and set up shop. They need to know that the Irish culture is part of the geography. That you do not exist merely as a job and welfare for them. How to go about that is the trick. America does it with capitalistic brainwashing. How can we do it reasonably?

Wez

wyk wrote:
    They need to know that the Irish culture is part of the geography.
    Hear, hear.
    wyk wrote:
    That you do not exist merely as a job and welfare for them. How to go about that is the trick. America does it with capitalistic brainwashing. How can we do it reasonably?
    The thing is, many of these guys are economic migrants, not immigrants. Its not like Mexico and the US; Mexicans don't have a lot of other wealthy neighbours. We do. Migrants here have no desire to stay, and have a five year shelf life. Probably less with the looming economic problems here.

I'll tell you what, though, I was sitting on a bus a few months ago, and there were two swarthy gents in front of me, probably of eastern european extraction, and looking fairly rough to be honest. The radio was playing a man singing a traditional Irish song, unaccompanied, as is the custom, which is wildly weird in the music scene today, and the bus driver, an ould country man, began singing along with it. They two in front of me exchanged a look and a smile, and you could see what they were thinking; this is a nice place.

Irish culture is incredibly rich, deep and ancient. Irish dancing is a spectacular art form; Flatley may have had his detractors, but he did more for it than the best efforts of the current administration ever did. The earlier myths and legends read like the lord of the rings and conan the barbarian rolled into one, yet schoolchildren are taught about the more recent ones (the Cattle Raid of Cooley, indeed). A lot of this stuff could stand toe to toe with the best of the Greek epics and come out smiling. Celtic knotwork, Irish music, Brehon law, the list goes on and on.

The tourist board at the moment is marketing Ireland in the UK as a great place to get pissed and fall over. I feel this is indicative of the government's general attitude towards Irish culture, whether it be in tourism or education. If it was properly handled, the knock on effects would include making integration for immigrants a good deal more attractive - and by attractive, I mean they really want to be a part of it.

Not the sorry, half assed, almost apologetic attitude copped at the moment, but true pride in our history and real involvement with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Mordeth wrote:
    the same people clamouring over muslim integration here are probably many of the same people who would be mightily offended at the notion that a western woman oughta wera burkha if she were visiting saudi arabia, iran or wherever.

cultural sensitivity cuts both ways...

Err, we expect ourselves(men and women) to conform to their ways of life when we visit their country, don't think there is any evidence of non-conformance by western visitors to those countries?

All we ask that they abide by our western ways of life when they come here, hence integration is needed.

Hashbrown's survey is class, made me laugh this early on a Sat morning :)

Advertisement