Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% foreign people in Ireland now - highest in Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Bambi wrote: »
    Will German, French or Dutch inscribe the epitaph of Emmet?
    When we have sold enough of Ireland to be but strangers in it.

poor ould Luke Kelly had it sussed.

It'll probably be in chinese though. Maybe Polish.

Well thats the price to pay for our economic success .We had no economy to speak of as far as I can remember and now Irish people can live at home and expect to work here .That to me is worth it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Not if most working people cant actually afford a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Terry wrote: »

:D

Not quite. I start from the premise that I came into another culture of my own free will. The reverse, were ye Irish (say) to move into my neck of the woods, would be identical: I'd expect you to conform. Fairly different from being a local trying to repel foreign order imposed on them (per your pix ;))

The Irish electorate, not forcing their GVT/Powers That Be to plan & implement adequate policies, are the quitters :p

(Trivia: I only ever quit once the other isn't trying to get up any more :D)

@ Mr.Micro - you never stop, only pause occasionally at a current level of comfort. Xenophobes have always existed, and always will do, in any society you care to name, and no matter how successful the integration - it's par for course when emigrating/immigrating, ya just gotta live with it (and try & pick a country wherein it's less of a problem/there are less of 'them').

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Well thats the price to pay for our economic success .We had no economy to speak of as far as I can remember and now Irish people can live at home and expect to work here .That to me is worth it all.

Wasn't the economy beginning to thrive before the influx of immigrants began to get out of hand? Mass immigration into Ireland is more of a consequence of the celtic tiger phenomenon than a cause for it. We could have had one without the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Not really.
    10 years ago I was working on building sites and people were crying out for tradesmen and lobourers. There was a shortage of people on sites.
    I'm fairly sure other industries were also in need of employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Not really.
    10 years ago I was working on building sites and people were crying out for tradesmen and lobourers. There was a shortage of people on sites.
    I'm fairly sure other industries were also in need of employees.

Mass immigration hasn't been happening for 10 years though has it?

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Not if most working people cant actually afford a home.

Whose fault is that but the greedy Government and developers and people who own 3 houses .The economy cannot be to blame for that ,but developer driven which suited the greedy Government in its take on stamp duty .

indough wrote: »
    Wasn't the economy beginning to thrive before the influx of immigrants began to get out of hand? Mass immigration into Ireland is more of a consequence of the celtic tiger phenomenon than a cause for it. We could have had one without the other.

The trouble is that as the economy accelerated there was a massive shortage of workers and to keep the economy expanding these shortages had to be filled .
    Irish people like Germans before them have become a lot more selective with what jobs they are prepared to do ,and these undesirable jobs are taken up by people who are glad to get work,most often these days immigrant workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bambi wrote: »
    Will German, French or Dutch inscribe the epitaph of Emmet?
    When we have sold enough of Ireland to be but strangers in it.

poor ould Luke Kelly had it sussed.

It'll probably be in chinese though. Maybe Polish.
    Oh spare us the emotive oratory and get back to dancing with the comly maidens at the crossroads, will ya.

The first irony of your argument is that Luke Kelly himself emigrated to London.

The second irony of your argument is that a lot of prime land in Kerry and West Cork was sold to Germans for peanuts back in the 70's and 80's.

I doubt that many here bleating about the destruction of "Irish Culture" are over 25 years old. I remember Ireland in the 80's and it was bleak. Real bleak.

Firstly, define Irish Culture and in what way does immigration pose a threat to it?

Secondly, I think there is a lot of basic insecurity among the younger generation of Irish because the Chinese and the Poles are among the hardest grafters in the world.

The economic equation is very simple. Workers coming in and working = a good thing. They contribute to the economy.

I say it each and every time this argument comes up, but I'd never thought I'd see the day Irish people would bitch about immigration. I'm choking on the irony of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

gurramok wrote: »
    Non-Irish people should adopt the culture of the host country, speaking English and raising kids in English is a start.

Funniest comment ever.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote: »
    Funniest comment ever.
    Republik Österreich

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Anyone see Primetime tonight about the immigrants in D15? - the statistics were, well, worrying at best but only confirm what the vast majority of us know. Ghettoisation is no longer a risk - it is a reality now and getting worse by the day. On Primetime tonight they even mentioned the term 'white flight' on the area claiming Irish people are starting to get out. First time ive heard that phrase mentioned in Ireland. This is only the beginning. People are too cowardly and afraid to stand up and say anything.:(

Most of our European cities are multicultural and each have ethnic quarters.I suspect Dublin will be no different or Cork and Galway in time .It is perhaps in our mindset here that we never really expected people to come live in Ireland and now that they have and are changing our population dynamic we are uncomfortable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I was in Berlin recently and the divisions i saw there were quite tangible, especially regarding the Turkish. I found them to be quite bullish and aggressive and didnt seem to mix with white Germans at all. I lived in London for a while and saw the same type of situation but not quite to this extent. I dont think that much can be done about these things though, unless you want to close the borders up and start mass deportation. I dont see how forcing people to adapt to our ways could possibly work.

I was in Berlin recently and the divisions i saw there were quite tangible, especially regarding the Turkish. I found them to be quite bullish and aggressive and didnt seem to mix with white Germans at all. I lived in London for a while and saw the same type of situation but not quite to this extent. I dont think that much can be done about these things though, unless you want to close the borders up and start mass deportation. I dont see how forcing people to adapt to our ways could possibly work.

Modern cities tend to become melting pots and people cling on often to their diversity and stick together like the herd mentality ,and often leading to ghettoization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Uk report out today saying migration is having a negative social impact in majority of regions in UK(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7048205.stm)
    The govt reply saying it has had postive economic impact, they would say that to cover up any bad economic policies.

Reason the UK is highlighted?

They received the similar make up of migrants as us, especially eastern Europeans.

'In a first review of the regional picture, the forum received anecdotal reports of pressures across five key areas: crime and disorder, community cohesion, health, education and housing.'

Denying the negative social consequences of uncontrolled migration here is simply in denial, pigs would fly:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

gurramok wrote: »
    Uk report out today saying migration is having a negative social impact in majority of regions in UK(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7048205.stm)
    The govt reply saying it has had postive economic impact, they would say that to cover up any bad economic policies.

Reason the UK is highlighted?

They received the similar make up of migrants as us, especially eastern Europeans.

'In a first review of the regional picture, the forum received anecdotal reports of pressures across five key areas: crime and disorder, community cohesion, health, education and housing.'

Denying the negative social consequences of uncontrolled migration here is simply in denial, pigs would fly:D.

Don't compare UK with Ireland my friend

Interms of immigration they managed it better in my opinion.

UK unemployment rate is still dropping
    Ireland unemployment rate still rising

UK its easier for migrants to integrate and seek long term residence.
    Ireland its nightmare to migrants to solve problems with immigration Office.

UK there is less discrimination towards Migrants
    Ireland There is more discrimination towards migrants.

UK the infrastructure is much much stronger = roads, motorways , airports etc etc
    Ireland = No significant infrastructure. Move out of Dublin and no city even has its local dart or tram. No investment in airports.
    Now even aerlingus have stopped flying to the west of Ireland which is the "national" carrier of Ireland

These all factors count in country absorbing immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    it is perhaps in our mindset here that we never really expected people to come live in Ireland and now that they have and are changing our population dynamic we are uncomfortable .

The nub of the issue, 'hey this is Ireland, we export our people we don't import them' etc. Until the Irish get it into thier heads that there has been a fundamental change in the nature of the economy and the states obligations with respect of EU access and that the old rules no longer apply peeps will continue to fail to understand.

There is no going back. This is the future. The only issues to be contested/decided are with respect to that change. Not stopping it, as it can't be stopped.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Don't compare UK with Ireland my friend
    etc.

UK had colonies for centuries (whereby immigration/foreign nationals/cultures/integration etc. is a veeery long story in the UK). Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

ambro25 wrote: »
    UK had colonies for centuries (whereby immigration/foreign nationals/cultures/integration etc. is a veeery long story in the UK). Simple as.

Absolutely correct

• Advertisement

Thought I'd make a point about the headline.

"20% foreign people in Ireland now - highest in Europe"

We have a population less then London in England. So Ireland having the highest number probably isn't all that hard. Percentages are like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hobbes wrote: »
    Thought I'd make a point about the headline.

"20% foreign people in Ireland now - highest in Europe"

We have a population less then London in England. So Ireland having the highest number probably isn't all that hard. Percentages are like that.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'm sure there is a village in Ireland that has the highest percentage of foreign people in the EU, probably because there are 10 Irish people and 6 Polish people living there.

People seem to ignore that fact that Ireland is one of the least populated countries in the world. We should have a population of 40 million, instead we have a population of just under 5 million. That is a problem, and if the "New Irish" help this problem that is great as far as I'm concerned.

I'd also like to point out that the 20% was debunked on page one of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yes but that was several weeks ago and the rate they are coming here has just bumped it up to 20%

I'd also like to point out that the 20% was debunked on page one of this thread.

Cheers, didn't see the CSO lookup.
    MooseJam wrote: »
    yes but that was several weeks ago and the rate they are coming here has just bumped it up to 20%

lol. 21 now. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Wicknight wrote: »
    People seem to ignore that fact that Ireland is one of the least populated countries in the world. We should have a population of 40 million, instead we have a population of just under 5 million. That is a problem, and if the "New Irish" help this problem that is great as far as I'm concerned.

Em, are you just fishing for a reaction there (as per usual) or did you really mean that...<shakes head>:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ireland is one of the least populated countries in the world. We should have a population of 40 million, instead we have a population of just under 5 million.
    On what basis, and compared to who?. The Vatican, Netherlands and Indonesia perhaps?.

What percentage of the country is considered Habitable?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'm sure there is a village in Ireland that has the highest percentage of foreign people in the EU, probably because there are 10 Irish people and 6 Polish people living there.

were not one of the least populated countries in the world , newzealand has a population almost exactly the same as the republic of ireland yet is the same size as the uk , australia is as big as the usa bar alaska and has 20 million people , canada is bigger than the usa and has 30 million

the scandanavian countries are less populated than us bar denmark
    there is no way we could fit 40 million here , england is a little less than twice the size of the island of ireland and has 50 million but it doesnt have the bogs or wild natural areas we have like in the west where large populations are not possible
    at most ireland could hold 10 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

or 15 million dwarfs

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    or 15 million dwarfs
    Fúck that.
    We got rid of the leprechauns.
    America can keep them.

Advertisement