Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% foreign people in Ireland now - highest in Europe

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I dont really think at this stage that this topic is worthy of being joked about. People who are the most pro-immigration (and think we have the luxury of joking about it and having a laugh) are those that are not affected by immigration. They will be eventually. All of us will. The social cohesion of this country is at risk. As more come in numbers, the worse it will get. We have no proper immigration control. Politicians are scared witless to even talk about it. (Not one Dail debate!). The future of this country is what happened and is happening in the Netherlands right now. People want to joke about that, fair enough. You will soon realise there is nothing funny about where we are heading. Race riots are the future in Dublin certainly. Probrably other towns down the line. I already mentioned D15 in this thread - ghetto in the making. We are all over the place with immigration. We dont have a clue how to handle this and we have already made the mistakes we should not have made. Its too late.
    I expect the do-gooder fools (the type that have seen cities with bigger populations then Ireland, in England become immigration horror stories) to say 'stop scare mongering' or something like that. I dont have to. Look all around you. Walk up to the North of O'Connell street/Parnell street ('little Africa') these days - we wont be able to walk up there soon enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

darkman2 wrote: »
    I dont really think at this stage that this topic is worthy of being joked about. People who are the most pro-immigration (and think we have the luxury of joking about it and having a laugh) are those that are not affected by immigration. They will be eventually. All of us will. The social cohesion of this country is at risk. As more come in numbers, the worse it will get. We have no proper immigration control. Politicians are scared witless to even talk about it. (Not one Dail debate!). The future of this country is what happened and is happening in the Netherlands right now. People want to joke about that, fair enough. You will soon realise there is nothing funny about where we are heading. Race riots are the future in Dublin certainly. Probrably other towns down the line. I already mentioned D15 in this thread - ghetto in the making. We are all over the place with immigration. We dont have a clue how to handle this and we have already made the mistakes we should not have made. Its too late.
    I expect the do-gooder fools (the type that have seen cities with bigger populations then Ireland, in England become immigration horror stories) to say 'stop scare mongering' or something like that. I dont have to. Look all around you. Walk up to the North of O'Connell street/Parnell street these days - we wont be able to walk up there soon enough.
    Hi, I just wanted to ask, what kind of solution would you make? Would you stop all immigration? And, do you think that if ''we'' become a minority in Ireland that it will be bad for us, do you think the ''majority'' might despise us and treat us badly or do you think they might just be human too? I would like to know why you fear immigrants so much? Please don't take my questions badly, I would just really like to know. Also do you think there are ways we could prevent 'ghettoization', or ways we could prevent future race riots?

• Advertisement

Rose of Tralee 2008 ;)

http://tinyurl.com/3b2e3g

karen3212 wrote: »
    Hi, I just wanted to ask, what kind of solution would you make? Would you stop all immigration? And, do you think that if ''we'' become a minority in Ireland that it will be bad for us, do you think the ''majority'' might despise us and treat us badly or do you think they might just be human too? I would like to know why you fear immigrants so much? Please don't take my questions badly, I would just really like to know. Also do you think there are ways we could prevent 'ghettoization', or ways we could prevent future race riots?

No, we cannot prevent future race riots. The line is crossed. Thats it. It will happen.

What we need to do is restrict numbers, thats all we can do. The damage is done. The Ghetto seeds have already been planted. No going back. We made the mistakes we should not have made considering our EU neighbours. It wont get better because it cant. We cant go back and 'integrate' better or whatever way you want to put it. What really damaged us (and thankfully has been rectified) was the idiotic law that if you had a baby here you were Irish - That was when the real damage occured IMO because a law like that attracts chancers - the types we dont want as immigrants we got in boat loads, literally. All we can do is restrict numbers through enforcement which really must be considered at this stage or we will inevitably become a minority in our own country. We are a very small country. We cannot absorb what other EU countries have absorbed. Thats a fact of life.

BTW when we are a minority (which we will be at current trends) the majority themselves wont be cohesive. Why? - because we have not a clue of how to handle immigration. That = trouble.

Look at the Netherlands (15 million people). Thats our future.

We are a very small country. We cannot absorb what other EU countries have absorbed. Thats a fact of life.

As soon as Germany, France, Italy, Holland and the rest open its workforce market to the EU accession countries you will see a decline in the numbers of immigrants here. What will this mean, a lot of vacant properties and a collapse of the housing market, this collapse will have a domino effect on the Irish economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Would you stop all immigration? And, do you think that if ''we'' become a minority in Ireland that it will be bad for us, do you think the ''majority'' might despise us and treat us badly or do you think they might just be human too? I would like to know why you fear immigrants so much?
    Can nobody see a middle ground here and that immigration brings problems that have to be managed? And that immigration isn't a bad thing either?

This reminds me of the debate over republicanism or nationalism. Are people so pc, that nationalism is now a bad word? Is having controls over immigration and having a planned policy, a bad thing. Is Ireland racist because we may have border controls or treat different countries differently?

And above all, is the principle of self determination now racist?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

DonJose wrote: »
    As soon as Germany, France, Italy, Holland and the rest open its workforce market to the EU accession countries you will see a decline in the numbers of immigrants here. What will this mean, a lot of vacant properties and a collapse of the housing market, this collapse will have a domino effect on the Irish economy.

What you say is true in terms of Eastern Europeans but probrably wont happen because, thankfully, our economy is still out performing most of Europe and will do for the forseeable future. What you really have to look at (and what I mean by race riots) is the immigrants coming from Africa and possibly Muslim immigrants which are the real problem down the line. The Poles and Estonians etc will leave. They wont. Im not being bad but colour and religion are the achilles heel of the immigration issue. You and I may be able to see beyond colour. An awful lot of people are far more sensitive at the percieved erosion of Irishness by these groups.

• Advertisement

What you really have to look at (and what I mean by race riots) is the immigrants coming from Africa and possibly Muslim immigrants which are the real problem down the line.
    Ireland has been seen as a soft touch by asylum seekers, you got to blame our government for that. They allow anybody into the country who mutter the word "asylum", the government could easily stop this by building asylum detention centers instead of allowing them into the system. Look at that Russian guy last month who was found drifting off the coast in a yacht stolen from France, hes in accomdation now after requesting asylum, heaven knows what crimes he's committed across Europe.

DonJose wrote: »
    Ireland has been seen as a soft touch by asylum seekers, you got to blame our government for that. They allow anybody into the country who mutter the word "asylum", the government could easily stop this by building asylum detention centers instead of allowing them into the system. Look at that Russian guy last month who was found drifting off the coast in a yacht stolen from France, hes in accomdation now after requesting asylum, heaven knows what crimes he's committed across Europe.

I agree, detention centers simply must be setup. I would support, at this stage, the Austrailian strict approach to really counter the 'soft touch' image which is already going to cost us dearly socially and financially.
    I mean some of these Africans, in particular, (you see them every time you go into Dublin) are clearly not 'starving' (in fact many are far fatter then me!) and 'mutilated'. Didnt Micheal McDowell say the vast majority of these immigrants from Africa talked 'cock and bull' stories to get in. He would know more then any of us. Its clear to me he was very worried about some of the Africans here imparticular when he was in office. That is something we cannot ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

No, we cannot prevent future race riots. The line is crossed. Thats it. It will happen.

What we need to do is restrict numbers, thats all we can do. The damage is done. The Ghetto seeds have already been planted. No going back. We made the mistakes we should not have made considering our EU neighbours. It wont get better because it cant. We cant go back and 'integrate' better or whatever way you want to put it. What really damaged us (and thankfully has been rectified) was the idiotic law that if you had a baby here you were Irish - That was when the real damage occured IMO because a law like that attracts chancers - the types we dont want as immigrants we got in boat loads, literally. All we can do is restrict numbers through enforcement which really must be considered at this stage or we will inevitably become a minority in our own country. We are a very small country. We cannot absorb what other EU countries have absorbed. Thats a fact of life.

BTW when we are a minority (which we will be at current trends) the majority themselves wont be cohesive. Why? - because we have not a clue of how to handle immigration. That = trouble.

Look at the Netherlands (15 million people). Thats our future.
    I don't agree that any line has been crossed with regard to 'future riots', we do need to learn though how to prevent 'racism' from all sides, causing touble through education and our culture. Do you see any room for laws requiring schools to ensure that there is a mix in them, so that kids and young adults become accustomed to seeing kids of different cultures as human beings first, and of a different culture second. Do you think something like that would help prevent 'ghettoes'?

I don't agree that any line has been crossed with regard to 'future riots', we do need to learn though how to prevent 'racism' from all sides, causing touble through education and our culture. Do you see any room for laws requiring schools to ensure that there is a mix in them, so that kids and young adults become accustomed to seeing kids of different cultures as human beings first, and of a different culture second. Do you think something like that would help prevent 'ghettoes'?

The ghettos are occuring right now. We cant prevent what is already blatantly obvious in certain parts of Dublin and certain other towns. RE: schools - firstly enough schools have to be built. Alot are needed (indeed 15 will open before next September, which is good) but there should be absolutely no deviation at all in the ciriculum surrounding, say English lanuage or Irish history and tradition. Under no circumstances should any deviation occur in relation to our way of life, history, culture. This is who we are. They must adapt or go somewhere else. However the Catholic church must loosen its grip to a certain extent certainly. However dispite the fact most of us are alecart Catholics - this is a Catholic country and whilst we should adapt to make newcomers feel welcome we should not change to the extent certain liberals think IMO. It would be detrimental to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I dont really think at this stage that this topic is worthy of being joked about.

Well the OP started the joke by claiming there was 20% when it isn't.
    The social cohesion of this country is at risk.

Prove it. Is the country better or worse then it was say in the 80's?
    We have no proper immigration control.

Actually we do.
    Politicians are scared witless to even talk about it. (Not one Dail debate!).

Strange, because when I google I can find 4 debates in the Dail relating to immigration straight away. Imagine what I would find if I really tried.

I don't think your reality matches everyone elses.

btw..
    I agree, detention centers simply must be setup.

Immigration has nothing to do with Asylum seekers. The fact you interchange the two means your talking out of your backside. The bigger fact that Asylum seekers in Ireland has dropped drastically in the last couple of years would show that we do have in fact a system that is in your sense working.

Hobbes wrote: »

Immigration has nothing to do with Asylum seekers.

I will not justify the rest of your illogical questions and assertions because this assertion is wrong and must be answered. Immigration into this country is EVERYONE that comes in. Asylum seekers or legit European immigrants. That is Immigration. You want to define the definition to prove I am right and you are wrong? Next!

I will not justify the rest of your illogical questions and assertions because this assertion is wrong and must be answered.

Because you can't. It is hard to prove it when your horribly wrong.
    Immigration into this country is EVERYONE that comes in. Asylum seekers or legit European immigrants. That is Immigration. You want to define the definition to prove I am right and you are wrong? Next!

LOL.

Look let me start by saying "Asylum Seeker" is not an immigrant. For starters they don't have the right to live here, they are only temporary here until they are processed.

If you want to try and link the two what you are trying to refer to is a "Refugee". Once an Asylum seeker has Refugee status then they can live here (if approved). Again this isn't an immigrant.

An immigrant is someone who leaves their country or origin to take up permanent residence in another country. Asylum seekers are people who are escaping their country and plan to return once it is safe to do so.

But even ignoring your inability to understand this as I said the amount of Asylum seekers into Ireland has dropped dramatically along with the amount of approved cases. So trying to claim that this is somehow getting worse is total bullcrap.

btw, checking for Dail debates. So far can find 36 instances of debates regarding immigration. If I add in "Asylum seekers" I can find numerous more. Kind of blows your "TDs scared to talk about it" theory.

So as I said, your full of it. Please bother to do a little research before making wild claims. Thanks.

Because you can't. It is hard to prove it when your horribly wrong.

LOL.

Look let me start by saying "Asylum Seeker" is not an immigrant. For starters they don't have the right to live here, they are only temporary here until they are processed.

If you want to try and link the two what you are trying to refer to is a "Refugee". Once an Asylum seeker has Refugee status then they can live here (if approved). Again this isn't an immigrant.

An immigrant is someone who leaves their country or origin to take up permanent residence in another country. Asylum seekers are people who are escaping their country and plan to return once it is safe to do so.

But even ignoring your inability to understand this as I said the amount of Asylum seekers into Ireland has dropped dramatically along with the amount of approved cases. So trying to claim that this is somehow getting worse is total bullcrap.

btw, checking for Dail debates. So far can find 36 instances of debates regarding immigration. If I add in "Asylum seekers" I can find numerous more. Kind of blows your "TDs scared to talk about it" theory.

So as I said, your full of it. Please bother to do a little research before making wild claims. Thanks.

Your talking rubbish. Look up 'immigration', then I will answer. Now go and face the wall!

BTW Your claim on Dail debates is also bullsh*t. Now go back to the wall!

Your talking rubbish. Look up 'immigration', then I will answer.

I have. You haven't.
    BTW Your claim on Dail debates is also bullsh*t. Now go back to the wall!

You obviously don't know me. As I actually bother to do a bit of research when someone claims something.

To help you along on your claim that "immigration is not discussed in the dail".
    16/12/97 : (debate) The Minister for Justice, outlines the plans of his department to deal with asylum applications and racism.
    (resumed debate) Mr. O'Malley and Proinsias De Rossa declare their disappointment with the Ministers' speech.
    11/12/97 : (Q&A) Discussion on case of Russian woman and her child and new admin changes.
    10/12/97 : (Q&A) Mr. Higgins asked Taoiseach if he will amend the Refugee Act 1996 so it can be implemented in full.
    14/10/97 : (Q&A) 2,000 Aslyum seekers and refugees.
    11/3/98 : Asylum Seekers (Regularisation of Status) Bill.
    10/3/98 : Asylum Seekers (Regularisation of Status) Bill
    Liz McManus puts forward a new Bill on account of the Governments' failure to implement the Refugee Act 1996. All those asylum seekers who arrived before the January 1998 would be permitted to remain in the state as "admitted asylum seekers" and would enjoy similar rights and entitlements as convention refugees.
    16/12/98 : (Q&A) Upton criticises the Minister for Justice for his policy on deportation and the manner in which asylum seekers are treated when they are deported.
    3/12/98 : (Q&A) publishing date of the new proposed immigration policy requested.
    26/11/98 : (Q&A) The Minister for Justice asked to make a statement regarding legal aid for asylum seekers.
    26/11/98 : (Q&A) The Minister for Justice is asked if the government is taking any actions to welcome asylum seekers from Kosovo.
    25/11/98 : (Q&A) McManus states that there has been a clear change in policy regarding asylum seekers and driving licences. they are being refused and local authorities have been threatening to revoke licenses already issued.
    24/11/98 : (Q&A) Burton asked Taoiseach why the government has failed to introduce new refugee legislation.
    4/11/98 : (Q&A) Minister for Justice asked to reopen the case of a Romanian family that face deportation.
    22/10/98 : (Q&A) statement requested about a circular that was issued by ASTI concerning the educational needs of refugees and asylum seekers and what action will be taken by the government of the matter.
    25/6/98 : (Q&A) Minister of Justice requested to make public the number of persons seeking asylum, the number of those deported, the intended date of implementation of the Refugee Act 1996 and the situation regarding asylum seekers being unable to work.
    24/6/98 : (Q&A) Minister for Justice asked about the status of an individual who has been served with a deportation order.
    17/6/98: (Q&A) asked to clarify the situation regarding social welfare benefits and accommodation for asylum seekers.
    28/5/98 : (Q&A) The Minister for Justice is asked about an EU action plan that is aimed at curbing the influx of Kurds from Iraq.
    28/5/98 : (Q&A) Minister for Foreign Affairs asked about EU policy in relation to asylum seekers.
    14/5/98 : Minister for Justice asked if asylum seekers are furnished with information pertaining to their rights at their port of entry.
    7/5/98 : (Q&A) request for statistics relating to the number of asylum applications being currently processed over the last five years.
    6/5/98 : (Q&A) Minister of Justice asked not to deport a family from Burundi on Dublin Convention grounds and argue that their presence is beneficial to the state.
    28/1/98 : (Q&A) TD is concerned about the derogatory treatment that immigrants are receiving in this country and condemns the Minister for Justice for his inaction on the issue.
    10/02/99 : Immigration Bill
    24/02/99 : Immigration Bill. Oppositions parties object to the implementation of the Bill, arguing that it is a deportation bill.
    09/02/99 : Immigration Bill. The Minister presents his proposals to the House of a new Immigration Bill with the objective of overhauling the 1935 Aliens Act.
    04/02/99 : (Q&A) Minister asked when the Immigration Bill will be published.
    28/01/99 : The Minister for Justice discusses procedure for manifestly unfounded cases, new legislation and the refugee legal service for asylum seekers.

Thats just from google. If you use search.gov.ie you will find even more up to date information, like for example recent immigration bills passed.

So I will say again. You are full of crap. Try backing up some of your assertions with facts.

I'd even dig out the stats showing that Asylum seekers have dropped, but thought it would be better if you got off your ass and looked for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    were not one of the least populated countries in the world , newzealand has a population almost exactly the same as the republic of ireland yet is the same size as the uk , australia is as big as the usa bar alaska and has 20 million people , canada is bigger than the usa and has 30 million

the scandanavian countries are less populated than us bar denmark
    there is no way we could fit 40 million here , england is a little less than twice the size of the island of ireland and has 50 million but it doesnt have the bogs or wild natural areas we have like in the west where large populations are not possible
    at most ireland could hold 10 million

Hi guys, first post here so go easy on me! Firstly, New Zealand's population:
    Half the population in New Zealand live in or around Auckland, where the highly-paid jobs are, along with uber-expensive housing, a few crime-ridden no-go zones and other similar infrastructure problems to Dublin. In fact, if it weren't for a decision many years ago to base the Government in Wellington (middle of the country) it would be even worse. But New Zealand has three or four other cities of over 100,000 people so there are other choices for people moving there. I want to move outside of Dublin (been here 18 months), and I would love to work outside of Dublin too, but where else is there any prospect of business growth? It seems to me that a lot of money is being spent on expanding Dublin's infrastructure to cope with its growth, but is any serious money being spent on decentralising some of the jobs that are in Dublin? There are locations in Ireland that could easily handle an expanding population (and not for the purposes of living there and commuting into Dublin), but it seems that only token efforts have been made to encourage/sponsor/relocate businesses in these places (Birr?). I've no family attachment to Dublin and would happily move if there were schools, gaurdai, hospitals and most importantly JOBS in another city/big town... yet it seems that the government is cutting services outside of Dublin. Maybe the immigrants (like myself, though my wife is Irish) should be funnelled away from Dublin, by funding/subsidising the growth of businesses in other cities/big towns in order that they reach the size and have the resources needed to attract businesses outright? My point is that all the spending on fixing Ireland's Dublin-centric infrastructure, in an attempt to cope with more people working in Dublin, is wasting the crucial opportunity to shift a significant amount of the economic activity to the numerous locations where larger populations are possible, at a fraction of the cost(and better chance of success). Dublin is full, whereas beyond the pale there are abandoned workplaces aplenty and immigrants would go there if they could find all of the above prerequisites. Your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Decentralisation?

No way.

you can't build in that field. That's where farmer Joe's cow saw the blessed virgin.
    The field next to it? No. There's a fairy fort there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Is it?

What about asylum seekers who leave with no intention of ever returning, even if things stabilise?

A very pedantic point, but so is your arguement about what is and isnt immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

Terry wrote: »
    Decentralisation?

No way.

you can't build in that field. That's where farmer Joe's cow saw the blessed virgin.
    The field next to it? No. There's a fairy fort there.
    Fair point, they start building new motorways through the fields for the Dublin traffic instead of decentralisation :rolleyes:

The concentration of growth in Dublin and its commuter towns is so marked -see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland/Largest_100.
    I can't imagine there are many other countries with one big city (~1million or more) and only one other over 100,000... not counting small (area-wise) city states like Hong Kong...

I don't think preservation of sacred/historic sites is the barrier here, I think it's another example of the compromised independence of those in Government. I dare say that most TDs are personally and politically untouched by issues affecting a lot of people whose lives are being ruined by commuting times, housing affordability (going down as interest rates rise), schooling and the health system, but maybe have vested interests in sinking more and more funding into 'Greater' Dublin. But this is too far off-topic... maybe the inflow will indeed reverse itself and take some pressure off. And years later they'll finish the motorways etc. they promised would be open already :p

I'll admit to being somewhat racist for various reasons, it's not a case of "I hate everyone from everywhere" - it's more like "I'm concerned about the future of this country." Basically I feel convinced that the powers that be in this country can't do anything right (and no I didn't vote for them this time round). So because some of my views are pretty extreme I tend to stay out of discussions such as this.

But yesterday a couple of girls got on a bus I was about to get off of, one of them goes "smell of s***e on this bus", after which the second goes "it's not a smell of s***e, it's a smell of ****ing foreigners." Part of me couldn't believe that someone actually said such a blatantly racist remark in public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

holland has to have more than 20% foreign population rate

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nope.
    19.1% according to wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands

Now had you been to Amsterdam, you may have noticed lots of foreign people, but you have to remember that Amsterdam is the main tourist area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

If Britain's official estimate of the scale of recent migration could be out by a few hundred thousand people, what about Ireland's?

The Minister of State for integration, Conor Lenihan, said recently he believed last year's census gave a "serious underestimate" of the number of foreign nationals living in the country and speculated that the non-Irish population could amount to 13-15 per cent of the total, rather than the 10 per cent reported in the census.

But the census is by far the most rigorous and comprehensive study to be carried out, and there is no hard evidence to contradict its findings. In its defence, the Central Statistics Office (CSO) can point to a census campaign that lasted 20 weeks, during which all 1.8 million households in the State were visited - many several times - by more than 5,000 enumerators.

It's possible that the CSO missed people, but if the totals are wrong to the degree that is alleged, enumerators would have missed about a quarter of a million people, all of them foreign nationals. And if so many were missed, their presence would almost certainly show up in other indicators, says one expert. If foreign nationals accounted for 15 per cent of the population by April 2006, then the quarterly national household survey, for instance, would be showing labour force growth to be more than double the 4.5 per cent it was indicating for a number of years up to census day.

But there are serious problems with the State's statistics, nonetheless. As the Immigrant Council has pointed out, data collected by government departments are not always compatible and are rarely collated. It suggests that such information - crucial for planning on schools, infrastructure and integration - should be collated and published by one source.

© 2007 The Irish Times

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/newsfeatures/2007/1103/1193444477210.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did you know that all the problems in the world can be laid at the feet of non-irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Harsh, its the Brits fault really, if Ireland spoke only Irish hardly anyone would come here.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Mairt wrote: »
    Nice post, but your going to encounter the very same problems here.

Me for instance. I've done 22yrs in the Defence Forces and for the last few had planned on retiring at 21 yrs (with pension) and setting myself up with a taxi to suppliment my pension. As I come from an IT section I'm also qualified for other work too and if I was in dire straits security work would have been another option.

So where do I find myself now?.. Well I'm still in the Defence Forces, I studied for and passed my S.P.V.S. (taxi) test and worked it for a short time. But its not viable anymore due to the number of (mostly Africans) immigrants licenced and working it now. So I looked at the IT sector, same problem there but with East Europeans working for a salery I couldn't possibly live on. So I'm stuck in the army and am genuinely scared of what the future holds for me and my children.

Here's another. My family have lived in Ballymun since it 1969. We lived in the 'flats first then in the 80's got a house in Poppintree, its a three bed.

Due to unfortunete circunstances my younger brother and my sister broke up with their partners. My brother & sister both have one child each. And all living with my parents in the three bed house.

All was looking rosie with the Ballymun regeneration project, but as new apartments and house's became availably both my brother and sister was pushed further and further back on the waiting list as immigrants where given priority on availably housing.

Now my brother, sister and my parents future is as uncertain as mine.

Both are working fulltime in jobs under threat from foreign migrant workers willing to under cut their wages.

My advice would be don't come to Ireland thinking its any better than you have it there, its not.

Great post.Sad thing is a lot of people in todays Ireland will say thats just hard luck, progress etc...I know right where you are coming from as i am in a very similar position to yourself and i am very worried for my kids future.Will they be still living with me in 10 years time? 22 and 20 two girls.They both work full time and are on OK wages.But "OK" wages doesnt do it anymore for getting a house.One of them has been offered a package to leave her job.She started working there three years ago (I.T. position) and at first there was 24 people(22 irish and 2 polish guys),now there is only herself and 3 irish left:confused:and they will take the money on offer and run.She knows for a fact that the non-nationals are getting 40% less per year than she is earning.Sad thing is they just keep coming to ireland because even paying them a ****e wage of 400 per week it's a hell of a lot more than they can dream of at home.Something stinks in this country and will have to change very soon(If it's not to late already) for there to be a future for young irish people:(

Advertisement