Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

Summer study has actually only begun a week ago. Was going to start after a good spell of good weather but that never came. Now I am feeling slightly stressed but there is plenty of time. Doing E.U., Constitutional, Equity and Property. Just looked at Property and Constitutional so far this week and made some good progress but there is a long 10 weeks ahead!

im also taking constitutional and eu those subjects are stressing me! doing company and contract also!

there is alot in each and im wary about cutting down but i do struggle to recall the cases at times- how do you go about learning it off? thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Try to start with the major topics
    1) personal rights
    2) due process of law
    3) freedom of speech
    4) separation of power

are all very big- start with the past papers and make your notes from them, the manual is so long that im working only from the pastpapers! leave as little topics as you can out, but i know very frustrating course!

Hi guys. I'd agree with NorthernChild, but in addition IMHO you'd be bonkers to go into the Constitutional exam without having laid hands on Dr EC's annual handout on the top ten cases of the previous year, and cover a few years of that handout. He has taken his case-note cases from it, and his essays and problems traverse issues that have arisen in recent litigation. There has been a frightening amount of constitutional case-law in recent years, it's quite a task keeping abreast of it, but he seems to have a strong preference for very fresh law. Pay close attention to his examiners' reports too - he is telling you what way he wants the questions answered, you'd be foolish to ignore that. Most of all, be certain what his problem questions are actually about, it is easy to see them the wrong way and go totally off-course, eg he had a seperation of powers question where the central character was Willie the Traveller. The question wasn't about traveller rights, it was about the circumstances when a judge might over-ride classical sep of powers doctrine and direct the executive, but several friends I spoke to just after the exam thought - traveller? must be about travellers' rights. Not so - be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Young Rowley

Hi,

I'm looking for up to date exam grids in EU, Contract and Tort.

I have sample answers for the above, and up to date exam grids in company and constitutional if anyone wants to trade?

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'd agree with NorthernChild, but in addition IMHO you'd be bonkers to go into the Constitutional exam without having laid hands on Dr EC's annual handout on the top ten cases of the previous year, and cover a few years of that handout. He has taken his case-note cases from it, and his essays and problems traverse issues that have arisen in recent litigation. There has been a frightening amount of constitutional case-law in recent years, it's quite a task keeping abreast of it, but he seems to have a strong preference for very fresh law. Pay close attention to his examiners' reports too - he is telling you what way he wants the questions answered, you'd be foolish to ignore that. Most of all, be certain what his problem questions are actually about, it is easy to see them the wrong way and go totally off-course, eg he had a seperation of powers question where the central character was Willie the Traveller. The question wasn't about traveller rights, it was about the circumstances when a judge might over-ride classical sep of powers doctrine and direct the executive, but several friends I spoke to just after the exam thought - traveller? must be about travellers' rights. Not so - be careful.

hi jc thanks very much for this- could you tell me where I can obtain this handout? Con law is so big its def a worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

im also taking constitutional and eu those subjects are stressing me! doing company and contract also!

there is alot in each and im wary about cutting down but i do struggle to recall the cases at times- how do you go about learning it off? thanks for your help!

I read the chapters of the manuals, make my own notes, then when I have finished all the chapters I am doing I begin to learn off my notes. I'd learn off 3/4 A4 pages at a time then test myself by writing shorter notes. Then the closer I get to exams I learn off the short hand notes and make even shorter notes.

The EU law manual I have from GCD is 555 pages. In comparison I have the Independent manuals for Constitutional, Equity and Property and COMBINED they are only 700 pages. Extremely worried about EU to the point where I might just learn off the summaries to each chapter and try and get away with that, mainly focusing my attention to the other 3 subjects. It seems outrageously large, even compared to constitutional which isn't exactly short!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 LegalCity

Hi,

Looking for up to date Constitutional and Contract Exam Grids. Sample answers for Cons 2010-2012 and Contract Oct 2011 and March 2012.

I have Criminal Constitutional Contract Property Tort Equity to exchange!

Pm me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Has anyone got a model answer on Proprietary Estoppel or even better q5 March 2012 Property law...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a model answer on Proprietary Estoppel or even better q5 March 2012 Property law...

Hi Nedled, this is what it says on the reports:

"In general, candidates who attempted this question on Proprietary Estoppel did well. Geraldine should have been advised that she must prove that she was led to act on the basis of what she was led to believe. She must have acted to her detriment. Equity will step in and estop or prevent the other party from reneging on that promise under the circumstances. The factors of assurance, reliance, detriment had to be explained and discussed with reference to relevant case law.
    Cases - Ramsden .v. Dyson; Giles (probably meant Gillet) .v. Holt; Inwards .v. Baker; Cullen .v. Cullen. Licence is one possible outcome of a successful claim for estoppel.

Candidates were assessed not only on their ability to identify the relevant issues but on a discussion of the relevant law and its application to the facts given."

Seems to me that a discussion on proprietary estoppel and then a small discussion on licences, along with tying it all into the facts would be a sufficient answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

JCJCJC wrote: »

Thanks for your advice JC - Where can you get these handouts you speak of???

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

Anyone out there know when the next admission to Blackhall is after the October Batch of exams i.e. is it worth forcing in another subject to make it in time for the next entry??
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Jowls

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice JC - Where can you get these handouts you speak of???

I think you can contact UCD to get them. There's a contact address given in the very last news item on this page:

http://www.ucd.ie/law/research/constitutionalstudiesgroup/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JaraCane

Anyone want to shedany light on who Dr. EC is?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

JaraCane wrote: »
    Anyone want to shedany light on who Dr. EC is?!:confused:

Eoin Carolan the FE1 constitutional law internal examiner.

Hi guys,

Getting everything ready so I can send on my application. Did 4 exams in March but didn't obtain any exemptions. Do I still send a photocopy of my results to show that I sat them last March?

Also if you are sending a repeat candidate application do you have to send a copy of your degree again?

It says on the check-list for repeat candidates that we have to send:

1. Copy of letter confirming any exemptions to subjects obtained from a previous FE-1 sitting.

2. €110 per subject.

3. Copy of Passport or Driving Licence.

Mainly wondering about number 1 and whether I have to send on my results from last sitting even though I didn't get any exemptions, also as I said above do I have to post a copy of my degree again?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JaraCane

You dont need to send your degree again or your copy of results - as you already have one sitting under your belt and no exemptions to show from your last sitting all they require is the $$$ and a copy of your driving licence/passport

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

Hi all, Looking for sample answers in EU, Constitutional, Tort and Contract. Happy to exchange for anything that is needed - I have sample answers for all the other 4 subjects and grids for all 8!

JaraCane wrote: »
    You dont need to send your degree again or your copy of results - as you already have one sitting under your belt and no exemptions to show from your last sitting all they require is the $$$ and a copy of your driving licence/passport

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

So having finally sat down to prepare for what are hopefully my final 2 exams and looking at the last exam papers, I'm still none the wiser as to where I went wrong in Constitutional in March. I was by no means expecting a high score but I was confident of a pass coming out of it but only ended up getting 43 pre and post recheck.

Is anyone else surprised or confused by the Constitutional marking? I've read his latest examiner reports and I really don't think I fell foul of the errors he lists. I guess I've just got to know things in greater detail and hone my technique.

If anyone has any sample answers for March's exam, or even a brief outline of answers, I'd happily swap for notes or whatever in any subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

EU Law can go and suck my b********
    It's fookin impossible to stay awake watching these lectures!
    Anyone got any tips on how to deal with the amount of material?
    Even the exam grid I have p*sses me off...it's not split up into sections...just sittings / questions asked.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    EU Law can go and suck my b********
    It's fookin impossible to stay awake watching these lectures!
    Anyone got any tips on how to deal with the amount of material?
    Even the exam grid I have p*sses me off...it's not split up into sections...just sittings / questions asked.

they are very boring! im splitting it up by major topics- so fundamental freedoms, institutions, direct effect, competition etc- not too sure about which to leave out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

they are very boring! im splitting it up by major topics- so fundamental freedoms, institutions, direct effect, competition etc- not too sure about which to leave out

Yeah I suppose the Institutions aren't too bad..same with direct effect. Watched the Preliminary Reference Procedure/judicial review lecture yesterday though and I nearly ended it all...but looks like they're due a run.:rolleyes:
    Could ya tell me what areas are bankers....if there are any?

How's everyone getting on with their study?

I'm getting into a good rhythm now and making some progress, let's hope it keeps up! I want to have at least 3 weeks before the exams dedicated to learning the material off.

Just wondering if anyone could link me to the new EU directive on consumer protection/contract law. It was mentioned in the examiners reports for the last sitting but she didn't note a direct quote of it, but rather just made a reference to the latest EU initiative.

Also, while I'm on it, what are people's thoughts regard the Consumer Protection topic, re: EU directives, sale of goods act 1893, sale of good and supply of services act 1980. Is it a topic that could be left out, as in does it always just come up on its own or does pop up in problem questions and so would a knowledge of the acts and its cases above get you marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

chops018 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could link me to the new EU directive on consumer protection/contract law. It was mentioned in the examiners reports for the last sitting but she didn't note a direct quote of it, but rather just made a reference to the latest EU initiative.

Also, while I'm on it, what are people's thoughts regard the Consumer Protection topic, re: EU directives, sale of goods act 1893, sale of good and supply of services act 1980. Is it a topic that could be left out, as in does it always just come up on its own or does pop up in problem questions and so would a knowledge of the acts and its cases above get you marks?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:304:0064:0088:EN:PDF

If I was you I would just have a broad generaly knowledge on the SOG acts for any contract problem Q that came up in relation to bad goods or bad service and say how the SOG Act is the default act in that situation, as a lawyer that is what happens anyway.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:304:0064:0088:EN:PDF

If I was you I would just have a broad generaly knowledge on the SOG acts for any contract problem Q that came up in relation to bad goods or bad service and say how the SOG Act is the default act in that situation, as a lawyer that is what happens anyway.

Cheers NoQuarter, I'll do that so I can incorporate it into a question on such for an extra mark or two. We can bring the legislation into the exam too so I'm sure highlighting the relevant provisions will be enough, I'll go over the topic in the manual and do up a summary anyway for understanding purposes. Doubt I'll be prepared for a full question on it but as you say a general knowledge for a problem question, and that will do me I'd say. I don't fancy rambling on about EU directives and it's effect on exclusion clauses in Ireland for an essay to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

chops018 wrote: »
    I don't fancy rambling on about EU directives and it's effect on exclusion clauses in Ireland for an essay to be honest.

I dont blame you, although if you could answer a question like that your paper would stand out as you would surely be in the minority having a crack at that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rexy 053

hey everyone! can anyone advise me as to the flaws with the s205 company act 1963? just a hint in the right direction would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

Does anybody know the topics that came up in Mar '12 for Constitutional Law please? ps anyone else find the Constitutional examiner to be absolutely USELESS with his reports?!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

Hi, does anyone have a grid for equity? Can swap for a constitutional or company! Or even if someone could tell me what the main bankers are for equity?
    Sent away applic today, hopefully my last round - countdown really has begun now, eek!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 erinp

Hi

I have EU, company and contract sample answers and I'm looking for Tort sample answers and a grid. I need an up-to-date grid in EU too. If anyone can help me please get in contact :)

Also, does anyone know what the usual "hot topics" are in EU and Tort, or what comes up very often? I haven't done much yet and am starting to get a little worried

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement