Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

What is the highest mark anyone has ever heard of anyone getting in an FE1? I'm happy with the bare 50, but just curious as to how well people actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Bit early i know - 2 months to go .... but the hotels have a few deals on at the moment.
    The Ibis is charging 31 euro per night... and the red cow is doing 20% off if u book three nights..

Its just i left it it till the last minute in March and had to pay more.
    I think the dates are only provisional as yet for the exams so be careful booking with the ibis on the cheap rate!

Des the law society have a habit of changing prov exam dates 2 months b4 the exams>>???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Anyone else finding it hard to get a good flow of study? I'm getting bits done here and there, mainly due to work and social activities (being summer and all), should quieten down on all fronts the end of august and I will be able to go flat out. But still I would have preferred to have more done at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Keane91

Hi, I'm just wondering when you pass the first four can you take as few exams as you like then? Say after the first four could you take one and then do the other 3 ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stressed!!!

Hey Guys, so i'm doing Constitution this October and am really stressed trying to study it!! Can anyone help me by giving a list of topics they're studying for it just so I can have an idea? Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Keane91 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering when you pass the first four can you take as few exams as you like then? Say after the first four could you take one and then do the other 3 ? Thanks.

Yes, you can do that. Equally, if you sit four and only pass three, you can do the following five one in each of the next sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

chops018 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding it hard to get a good flow of study? I'm getting bits done here and there, mainly due to work and social activities (being summer and all), should quieten down on all fronts the end of august and I will be able to go flat out. But still I would have preferred to have more done at this stage.

I am having the same problem, I started last week and nothing has been going in and will need to go over it again, however I am hoping it's just like this until I get into the swing of things and get use to sitting down and keeping my focus...or I keep telling myself that at least!

sorchauna wrote: »
    I am having the same problem, I started last week and nothing has been going in and will need to go over it again, however I am hoping it's just like this until I get into the swing of things and get use to sitting down and keeping my focus...or I keep telling myself that at least!

Yeah I keep saying that to myself too :(

What exams are you taking? The only good thing for me is I'm repeating as I didn't get 3 ot of 4 to move on, so I do have a good lot done already, but I'm trying to get new topics covered on top of going over the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone know the best website to get up to date EU judgments from the General Court & ECJ?

Also - are people going to get the new Blackstones for the October sitting of EU or is the 2011-12 version fine?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Keane91 wrote: »

Yes you can do 1 at a time after you get your first three. You must sit 4 at your first attempt but you only have to pass 3 out of the 4 to be able to continue on with the remaining subjects.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Yeah I keep saying that to myself too :(

What exams are you taking? The only good thing for me is I'm repeating as I didn't get 3 ot of 4 to move on, so I do have a good lot done already, but I'm trying to get new topics covered on top of going over the old ones.

Im doing company, contract, criminal and property. it's my first time sitting so must get the golden 3/4...although I'll have three exams in a row the way the timetable is so best have everything covered beforehand! And company will be my first one which I am not looking forward to! Its still two months and to be at the learning stage is a great place to me so I would not worry to much.

What exams are you sitting?

sorchauna wrote: »

What exams are you sitting?

Contract, Criminal, Property and Equity. I was very disappointed to not get the 3/4 last time around, I really want to get them this time, but as I said being summer and working a lot is making me not study as much as I would like so hopefully things start to look up on the study front. I'm getting a good bit done this week though.

As I have a bulk of the topics covered for each subject already I'm just trying to add in some new topics now, then get the other stuff revised.

What way are you studying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

banterful wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering does anyone know the best website to get up to date EU judgments from the General Court & ECJ?

Also - are people going to get the new Blackstones for the October sitting of EU or is the 2011-12 version fine?

Thanks in advance!

I think these sites have judgments from the ECHR and ECJ.

http://www.echr.coe.int/ECHR/Homepage_En/
    http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/j_6/

Also, what was that about Blackstones for October sitting? I'm doing EU also.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Thanks a million!

Re Blackstones, it's one of the EU treaties & legislation we can bring in to the exam. I heard there's a new version coming out soon & was just wondering if anyone knew if it had any important changes or is it okay to use last year's one? A friend lent me the 2011-2012 version but I'll buy the new one if there's any important changes in the new one.

I think these sites have judgments from the ECHR and ECJ.

http://www.echr.coe.int/ECHR/Homepage_En/
    http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/j_6/

Also, what was that about Blackstones for October sitting? I'm doing EU also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 A.Cullen

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a Tort sample answer. I am finding it hard to structure my negligence answers, particularly in issues of Pure Economic Loss and Psychiatric Damage which are there own topics but are still part of negligence, but also any general negligence sample answers. Anyone have any advice?

I would really appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

Hi Guys, was wondering if anybody would be in a position to say wht came up/is marked to come up in the last/coming eu exam sitting.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lilfeely

Hi Guys,

Could anyone tell me what came up on the Criminal Paper March 2012?

Much appreciated! :-)

lilfeely wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Could anyone tell me what came up on the Criminal Paper March 2012?

Much appreciated! :-)

Posted up a few pages back by NedLed16:

(Q.1)
    S2 assault
    S3 assault
    S4 assault
    Murder
    Manslaughter
    Complicity
    Problem question

(Q.2)
    Strict liability
    Essay

(Q.3)
    Defence of Mistake
    Focussing on the:
    (a) Actus Reus
    (b) Mens rea

(Q.4)
    (i) Attempt
    (ii) Soliciting to commit murder
    (iii) Conspiracy
    (iv) Contempt (1-3 types)

(Q.5)
    (i) Detention (Treatment persons custody Garda Siochana) Regulations 1987
    (II) Detention (s4 CJA 1984)
    (III) Right to Silence
    (iv) Bail

(Q.6)
    (i) Assault s2
    (ii) False imprisonment
    (iii) Insanity

(Q.7)
    Criminal causation
    (i) Jurys role
    (ii) Judges role

(Q.8)
    (i) Attempt to have Sexual Intercourse with a Mentally Impaired person
    (ii) Rape s4 1990 Act
    (III) Incest
    (IV) Rape s2 1981 Act

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lilfeely

Posted up a few pages back by NedLed16:

(Q.1)
    S2 assault
    S3 assault
    S4 assault
    Murder
    Manslaughter
    Complicity
    Problem question

(Q.2)
    Strict liability
    Essay

(Q.3)
    Defence of Mistake
    Focussing on the:
    (a) Actus Reus
    (b) Mens rea

(Q.4)
    (i) Attempt
    (ii) Soliciting to commit murder
    (iii) Conspiracy
    (iv) Contempt (1-3 types)

(Q.5)
    (i) Detention (Treatment persons custody Garda Siochana) Regulations 1987
    (II) Detention (s4 CJA 1984)
    (III) Right to Silence
    (iv) Bail

(Q.6)
    (i) Assault s2
    (ii) False imprisonment
    (iii) Insanity

(Q.7)
    Criminal causation
    (i) Jurys role
    (ii) Judges role

(Q.8)
    (i) Attempt to have Sexual Intercourse with a Mentally Impaired person
    (ii) Rape s4 1990 Act
    (III) Incest
    (IV) Rape s2 1981 Act

Thanks so much chops018 for posting that!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

lilfeely wrote: »
    Thanks so much chops018 for posting that!! :D

I think the following is important to be aware of:

Q.1 s18 NFOAP 1997

Q.6 Attempt

Q.8i Sex assault under the 1990 act! Not s5(1) 1935 act..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 The212

Hi Guys,

have made the decision to chance 4 of these in Oct and coming from a BA Law Im hoping I can plough through this if I pull the finger out.

so if anyone can shed any light re the content/topics or any advice whatsoever I would appreciate it a lot!

feeling a bit under pressure and out out my dept a little!

doing Tort, Criminal, Constitution and Contract.

thanks a million :o

The212 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

have made the decision to chance 4 of these in Oct and coming from a BA Law Im hoping I can plough through this if I pull the finger out.

so if anyone can shed any light re the content/topics or any advice whatsoever I would appreciate it a lot!

feeling a bit under pressure and out out my dept a little!

doing Tort, Criminal, Constitution and Contract.

thanks a million :o

Constitution is huge and very topical (as in they want you to include current events and very recent cases and all that sort), so unless you were brilliant at it in college I'd drop it. Maybe Property would be a better option as it has a small syllabus and can be quite predicable, or Equity due to the crossover with Contract in the remedies.

With regard the exams, they are very difficult and you will see that plenty of people fail the first time round (including me) even after doing loads of work for them.

What I and everyone will say is: try to know as much topics as possible, you need to be able to attempt five questions and give 5 decent answers to get past 50%. So know as many topics as you can, try not to leave out any. Get yourself some second hand manuals and past papers and sample answers, there is a separate thread on here for that stuff.

You still have enough time to get through plenty of topics to pass them. Might I suggest doing the "Ghost Fourth", it would take the workload off you. This means that as you need to sit 4 your first sitting and pass 3 to carry on, then you just study loads for 3 and not bother with the fourth. As far as I know you still have to go in and actually sit that exam, as in go in write your exam number on the paper etc. then half hour later hand it up and leave. You always see a bunch of people leaving after a half hour in some exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The212

cheers chops018,

very refreshing to hear some solid advice from someone who has been there

Having studied Constitutional I am aware of how vast it can be,and maybe the right choice would be to give my self more time to cover it and wait until Feb. there is a lot of waffle required in this subject from my experience.

the ghost-4th is something I have considered and I now take great comfort in knowing that others have gone that route!

a lot to think about, thanks again!!

cheers chops018,

Having studied Constitutional I am aware of how vast it can be,and maybe the right choice would be to give my self more time to cover it and wait until Feb. there is a lot of waffle required in this subject from my experience.

the ghost-4th is something I have considered and I now take great comfort in knowing that others have gone that route!

No Problem. Even if you don't think you are ready I'd give them a go in October, it will be good experience being in the exam setting, if you can afford it that is.

Hi Guys,
    Would anyone have any advice on which topics to focus on regarding tort, criminal and contract for october 2012? I'm going to try and cover a majority of them but would love if anyone had any advice on which ones they were focusing more on and which ones less etc.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

cheers chops018,

Forget the waffling, there is simply no time for it in the exam and it gets you no marks, if you can't answer a question fully you are better off throwing down a series of relevant bullet points and moving on than wasting even 5 minutes writing something irrelevant.

For someone in your position I would suggest picking the 4 subjects that you were best at or that came most naturally, whatever they may be you will find these easiest to study and remember.

I would also personally advise against the Ghost 4th, by going that route you have everything staked on 3 exams, I've seen a lot of people loose out that way.

BEst of luck with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

Hey Guys, so i'm doing Constitution this October and am really stressed trying to study it!! Can anyone help me by giving a list of topics they're studying for it just so I can have an idea? Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Try to start with the major topics
    1) personal rights
    2) due process of law
    3) freedom of speech
    4) separation of power

are all very big- start with the pastpapers and make your notes from them, the manual is so long that im working only from the pastpapers! leave as little topics as you can out, but i know very frustrating course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

Letter arrived in the post today giving me an official hard copy of the results I got. Until now I was worried there was a mistake, that I didn't pass all 4, but now it has sunk in.

4 to do, think I am going to start studying the end of June, 2 weeks earlier than I would've started for these 4. Not looking forward to summer studying though.

hows the summer of study going? which four are you taking?

Thanks for that NorthernChild!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

hows the summer of study going? which four are you taking?

Summer study has actually only begun a week ago. Was going to start after a good spell of good weather but that never came. Now I am feeling slightly stressed but there is plenty of time. Doing E.U., Constitutional, Equity and Property. Just looked at Property and Constitutional so far this week and made some good progress but there is a long 10 weeks ahead!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement