Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mackerf

Does anyone have sample answers for property or equity? Grids would be much appreciated also! Think of it as good karma for the exams...! :D

I have company and contract up to Oct 2011 to swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I finally finished my notes on Equity yesterday, thus leaving EU left to do. When I put the Equity manual back in my bag and took out EU, this pretty much sums it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Just started studying today - yikes :eek:

What topics are people doing for

Tort
    Comp
    Property
    Criminal

are there any bankers for crim law?? skating on thin ice! love a bit of pressure :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Fe1exams wrote: »
    are there any bankers for crim law?? skating on thin ice! love a bit of pressure :pac:

Most of the previous board at Anglo? :pac:

Most of the previous board at Anglo? :pac:

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Hi,

I was wondering what people plan on covering for property? I had heard March was difficult and I know the examiner seems to be a bit more straightforward in what comes up. I was gonna cover:

About property
    systems of land registration
    succession
    co-ownership
    licences and rights of residence
    family property
    mortgages
    easements
    adverse possession
    landlord and tenant law

I am bascially cutting out the start of the course but is seems like I'll have a lot less covered (i.e. 10/16 chapters in my manual) compared to other topics Im study.

Anybody else adding anything different?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mackerf

Estates is supposedly a frequent enough topic in property, according to ind manual, but your list looks to cover a lot of ground excluding it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JR Space

I agree, I am covering something similar. Just starting EU today...nightmare.

mackerf wrote: »
    Estates is supposedly a frequent enough topic in property, according to ind manual, but your list looks to cover a lot of ground excluding it

Thanks! Yeah I had covered notes in it a few weeks back but the examiner has not asked it since she came on in 2010 I think so will risk it unless I find time somehwere to glance over my notes again!

Just started studying today - yikes :eek:

What topics are people doing for

Tort
    Comp
    Property
    Criminal

For criminal, you really need to cover everything, those mix questions can have 4/5 topics so I wouldnt risk anything else.

Property as Im doing it, Im leaving the first part out and doing succession, adverse poession, landlord and tenant, easments, attachments, mortgages, licences etc.

Im not doing tort and for company again, I covered most of it. I left out shareholders to be honest except for shareholders meetings and protection. But thats just a preference, shareholders as been quite popular. Ensure everything in directors is covered, ultra vires, seperate coporate personalilty, liqudation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

sorchauna wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering what people plan on covering for property? I had heard March was difficult and I know the examiner seems to be a bit more straightforward in what comes up. I was gonna cover:

About property
    systems of land registration
    succession
    co-ownership
    licences and rights of residence
    family property
    mortgages
    easements
    adverse possession
    landlord and tenant law

I am bascially cutting out the start of the course but is seems like I'll have a lot less covered (i.e. 10/16 chapters in my manual) compared to other topics Im study.

Anybody else adding anything different?

I'd say you're fairly solid with those topics. Good thing about property is that it doesn't seem to mix topics and the guarantee of succession is good too. Would you not include good old Treasure Trove and finding objects in/on land? It is a fairly short topic, it used to come up frequently but didn't last time so maybe worth including seeing as it is so easy and short.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

Guys for tort/property/contract/company are we allowed to bring in any books to the exam?

Companies Acts?

Thanks!

Guys for tort/property/contract/company are we allowed to bring in any books to the exam?

Companies Acts?

Thanks!

You can bring the Succession Act into property, and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act into contract....dunno about tort.

chops018 wrote: »
    You can bring the Succession Act into property, and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act into contract....dunno about tort.

Sorry this is a little off topic - is the SOGASOS Act part of the syllabus for FE1s? The reason I ask is rather convoluted. I was looking back over some of the KI Entrance exams and there is a question on one of the papers that would clearly involve a discussion of the Act - however is isn't part of the syllabus. The question was Aug '11 - Q1 on contract - Deidre and her antiques shop.

Perhaps I'm just being dumb on reading the syllabus perhaps this was under the illegal contracts heading?

Sorry this is a little off topic - is the SOGASOS Act part of the syllabus for FE1s? The reason I ask is rather convoluted. I was looking back over some of the KI Entrance exams and there is a question on one of the papers that would clearly involve a discussion of the Act - however is isn't part of the syllabus. The question was Aug '11 - Q1 on contract - Deidre and her antiques shop.

Perhaps I'm just being dumb on reading the syllabus perhaps this was under the illegal contracts heading?

Yep it's on the FE1 syllabus, not directly but it comes under consumer protection heading and it is useful to have as it can be incorporated into a problem question that involves the selling of bad goods or bad supply of services as the SOG act would be the default act in such a situation. Obviously other areas may need to be discussed but it is useful to have a general knowledge of the act, in any event the act can be brought in so there should be no excuse as to why it isn't brought it where it looks like it could.

chops018 wrote: »
    Yep it's on the FE1 syllabus, not directly but it comes under consumer protection heading and it is useful to have as it can be incorporated into a problem question that involves the selling of bad goods or bad supply of services as the SOG act would be the default act in such a situation. Obviously other areas may need to be discussed but it is useful to have a general knowledge of the act, in any event the act can be brought in so there should be no excuse as to why it isn't brought it where it looks like it could.

It must be under the Illegal Contracts heading on the KI then the question screamed Section 11 with the Caveat Emptor bit. I'd copy and paste it but its the crappiest of scanned PDFs - its not even straight. That said the KI does stick the papers up FOC so beggars cant be choosers I suppose.

It must be under the Illegal Contracts heading on the KI then the question screamed Section 11 with the Caveat Emptor bit. I'd copy and paste it but its the crappiest of scanned PDFs - its not even straight. That said the KI does stick the papers up FOC so beggars cant be choosers I suppose.

NoQuarter would be the person to ask about the KI papers! I'm not too familiar with them or the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Type up the question if its short enough, I should be able to spot the issues in it considering I answered that question to get into the Inns. :)

Thanks NoQuarter - Theres obviously quite a few issue here but I just wondered if you should go beyond the syllabus and how much academic commentary you should throw in. I suppose I should really ask, very nicely, for you to comment in relation to the FE1s as well to keep this on topic. :)

219234.jpg

For giggles heres what I got:

SOGASOS Act
    Sale of Goods Act
    Misrep
    Mistake
    Exclusion clauses
    Some basic offer acceptance and counter offer - just as an aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

You've hit on all the issues as far as I can see, Id need to be exam-familiar with contract again to know for sure but it seems about right.

As for your question, for undergrad purposes you would stick to the syllabus and maybe throw in academic commentary but for KI or FE1 exams you could diverge from the syllabus (if there is even scope to do that) and DO NOT put academic commentary into a problem question UNLESS the area of law has either no precedent or is an area of law that is ambiguous.

Answering problem questions for KI of FE1s is a test of relevance and not "show me all you know". You treat it as you would writing an opinion for a client. If I paid my solicitor to advise me on this contract and he start quoting some doctors article on exclusion clauses I'd ask for my money back.

KISS - keep it simple, stupid!

As a side note, I havent looked at KI syllabus this year, is SOG left off it? Because you need to know it. It will be in the manuals and this question touches on it. Its essential for a lawyer to know that Act and therefore essential for a student.

• Advertisement

NoQuarter wrote: »
    KISS - keep it simple, stupid!

I love that! I think I'll be repeating that in the Fe1's in the exam.

Has as anyone got 2012 answers? or know if the rev courses in dublin will be handing them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 je77rey

Anybody have an exam grid for EU, I have ones for Property, Equity, Company, Contract, Constitutional and Tort if anyone wants to swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itsonlybla

Can anyone tell me, when highlighting permitted legislation like Blackstones, is it alright to go all rainbow and use many, many colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

itsonlybla wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, when highlighting permitted legislation like Blackstones, is it alright to go all rainbow and use many, many colours?

I've used numerous colours highlighters & tabs in previous exams without reproach so go to town on it

itsonlybla wrote: »

You can highlight and tab all you want, as long as no writing. Though for any other legislation I'd just recommending tabbing in case you wanted to sell it but Blackstones edition is a new one every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

Hi,

This was a long-standing issue. The easy answer is that since its permitted legislation, you have to assume its on the exam, although it doesn't fit anywhere on the syllabus expressly. Notably (as the prior examiner said) its about more than consumer law, so that syllabus head doesn't cover it, but its there on the exam. The

The KI paper is somewhat different in that you really only need to know it for the purposes of knowing it as an instance of how legislation implies terms. That question was really all about the special situation of clauses that are like "entire agreement" clauses, but really serve to indicate agreement on the limit of representations. There is a jurisprudence on this. Its not really about SOG at all, despite it being perfectly answerable via that route.

This is a recurring problem with exams - examiners use a fact scenario to examine area (a) when, in fact, a good student could see how the facts actually raise area (b) which isn't supposed to be examined! It was worse on the FE1's because it wasn't overtly on the syllabus, but you were allowed the legislation! Indeed, there are at least two past questions I can recall that were, in reality, all about the SOGA and the examiners report didn't even refer to it! This was always messy when it came to exclusion clauses (i.e. do you decide its a SOGA question, and discuss s.55 etc). I would say, now, however, it is perfectly clear from the new examiner, that its there, and should be addressed where relevant (and its really important to bear it in mind for exclusion clauses).

Regards

Brian

Has as anyone got 2012 answers? or know if the rev courses in dublin will be handing them out?

Urg. I really, really don't like saying anything about GCD here in the "advertising sense", but on your direct question...yes 2012 answers together with other answers form part of the materials given out at the one day courses at GCD anyway...full information is google-able on the courses and on your direct question, without saying more here.

Thanks Brian - if your the Brian I'm familiar with, unfortunately I cant say know as I didn't have the pleasure of your Con law class I was in Roderic's (not taking away from Roderic for one second - excellent lecturer) you'll probably understand why I was particularly concerned having been indoctrinated in the GCD way of examinations. e.g. Its this topic and this topic only don't go waffling - which as you can see I have the inclination to do!

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian - if your the Brian I'm familiar with, unfortunately I cant say know as I didn't have the pleasure of your Con law class I was in Roderic's (not taking away from Roderic for one second - excellent lecturer) you'll probably understand why I was particularly concerned having been indoctrinated in the GCD way of examinations. e.g. Its this topic and this topic only don't go waffling - which as you can see I have the inclination to do!

The way of exams, everywhere, is just write about what is relevant and dont pad anything about. The problem with THAT question was that it was designed to examine (a), (b) and (c) when, in truth, it raised other issues as well!

The difference between SOME undergrad and the professional exams is that the professional exams tend to mix far more issues in a given question which, in truth, is probably a much better way of examining knowledge!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement