Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

I have not sat any of the exams before but I am doing a similar thing at the moment. I go through the manual first and do extenstive notes, then after every chapter I go through all the exam questions in relation to the chapter I have done. Then add stuff into my notes from sample answers that may not be in the manual lastly, look at the examiners report. It means you have a lot of notes. I plan to next learn off what I can in the notes and then attempt exam questions from memory and practise on getting it done within the 35 min slot until I have the information I need. Eventually I'll plan on have it summarise in bullet points so I'll have a visual of the headings and cases for the exam to follow.

Also to cover as many topics as you can. Im doing notes in nearly everything. Maybe once I get learning I'll cut down abut but 50% is a high pass rate and I'd presume you would need to be able to attempt 5 questions. Its not enough to say I have 10 topics covered as each subjects has a different number of topics. But maybe considered how much of the course you've actually covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Eat sleep walk talk and try to love each topic - aghhhhhhh did i really say that...so corney.... then look at the exam grid for that topic - find a question on it and close the books - then write for 35 mins.

Id do 5 questions in a row on the same topic and then mark it as hard as they do in the fe1s... Once you can pass each topic closed book without knowing the question b4 i think your onto a winner....

Practice practice practice closed book - its painful sometimes but better to fail a question at home than in the exam...

This method is longwinded & perhaps theres a quicker method. Good luck Chops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Eat sleep walk talk and try to love each topic - aghhhhhhh did i really say that...so corney.... then look at the exam grid for that topic - find a question on it and close the books - then write for 35 mins.

Id do 5 questions in a row on the same topic and then mark it as hard as they do in the fe1s... Once you can pass each topic closed book without knowing the question b4 i think your onto a winner....

Practice practice practice closed book - its painful sometimes but better to fail a question at home than in the exam...

This method is longwinded & perhaps theres a quicker method. Good luck Chops

Cheers Nedled, I'll take that on board. Raging not to get the 3 out of 4 last time. Don't want the same to happen again so it seems I will have to live and breathe study every chance I get now in the coming months so just looking to see how people went about it so I could compare to the way I studied for them last time. Seems very daunting.

Also, thanks to the other posters above.

Would anyone be so kind as to confirm or suggest the issues which arose and needed explanation in the Criminal Law March 2012 paper: My intial guess would be the following:

(Q.1)
    S2 assault
    S3 assault
    S4 assault
    Murder
    Manslaughter
    Complicity
    Problem question

(Q.2)
    Strict liability
    Essay

(Q.3)
    Defence of Mistake
    Focussing on the:
    (a) Actus Reus
    (b) Mens rea

(Q.4)
    (i) Attempt
    (ii) Soliciting to commit murder
    (iii) Conspiracy
    (iv) Contempt (1-3 types)

(Q.5)
    (i) Detention (Treatment persons custody Garda Siochana) Regulations 1987
    (II) Detention (s4 CJA 1984)
    (III) Right to Silence
    (iv) Bail

(Q.6)
    (i) Assault s2
    (ii) False imprisonment
    (iii) Insanity

(Q.7)
    Criminal causation
    (i) Jurys role
    (ii) Judges role

(Q.8)
    (i) Attempt to have Sexual Intercourse with a Mentally Impaired person
    (ii) Rape s4 1990 Act
    (III) Incest
    (IV) Rape s2 1981 Act

Does anyone know when the exam reports are out?? to lazy to call the law society - i guess theyll just say soon...

Snip

• Advertisement

Mods can you please stop people from advertising in here. Very annoying to see someone has posted up something and then click in to see it is an advertisement and not a question or discussion on the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seanmk77

Snipped

seanmk77 wrote: »
    Well every other time I get notified about someone posting something on the thread it turns out its you repeating the same complaint. You must have ranted half a dozen times now. I see nothing wrong with these adverts. Some people using the thread will be looking for these manuals sample answers etc. If you’re not interested in the adverts why don’t you just ignore them? There is information on the thread that is irrelevant to me because it relates to subjects I’ve already passed as well as subjects that I’m not doing in my next sitting. I ignore that information; I do not suffer the emotional anguish that you are going through every time you see the thread soiled with vulgar adverts. Maybe if you invest all that energy spent whining into studying you might get three the next time round.

Btw I still have one manual left if anyone’s interested.
    http://www.adverts.ie/school-college-books/fe1-manual/1647309

It is clearly stated in the thread title that there is to be no ads in this thread, there is another thread for advertising manuals. It is not hard to put your advertisement on there where it is supposed to be. I like coming on here and discussing the exams and the subjects. I don't like coming on and seeing loads of ads, if I wanted that I would go to the thread dedicated to selling manuals. That is the only reason it annoys me, if there was no thread for selling all the materials then I wouldn't mind and would say that's fair enough they are trying to sell their stuff, but when there is another thread for it then you should clearly use it and stop spamming this thread.

Also, there is no need for any sly digs about me not getting my 3 out of 4 last time, I have not insulted you or any other poster above. I made complaints about 3 or 4 times after coming on and seeing all the ads for manuals, which I am entitled to do.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The next person to post here re. Selling, advertising, etc. will be banned.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Re. Criminal. You know that the exam reports are available?

• Advertisement

When i try to purchase the April 2012 report, i get the error message; "Shopping cart is empty, in order to add item find the product you want to add and click add to cart button. To find a product you can either use search or store directory."

It doesnt matter whether i try ordering 1 or 5, it still says your basket is empty.
    Ill try another comp or else ordering by phone tomorrow. I thought the March 2012 report was simply not available for purchase online as it wouldn't accept my purchase...

Thanks though Tom! perhaps the law society IT dept have not updated the available purchase from their website.

When i try to purchase the April 2012 report, i get the error message; "Shopping cart is empty, in order to add item find the product you want to add and click add to cart button. To find a product you can either use search or store directory."

It doesnt matter whether i try ordering 1 or 5, it still says your basket is empty.
    Ill try another comp or else ordering by phone tomorrow. I thought the March 2012 report was simply not available for purchase online as it wouldn't accept my purchase...

Thanks though Tom! perhaps the law society IT dept have not updated the available purchase from their website.

Hi Nedled. I ordered the March 2012 report the other day. It will be interesting to see where I went wrong or what I left out. I always jot down a plan of my answer of the exam paper itself so I will compare what I have jotted down to the reports when I get them.

Meanwhile I am still in the middle of organising everything for study. I have absolutely loads of sample answers, notes, books, manuals and I am just trying to tidy everything up into sections etc so I can get learning. I will also add on new topics and try to tackle some new questions. Really gonna try concentrate on learning the material off this time around rather than constantly trying questions.

Have you started study yet? I am aiming to start next week.

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi Nedled. I ordered the March 2012 report the other day. It will be interesting to see where I went wrong or what I left out. I always jot down a plan of my answer of the exam paper itself so I will compare what I have jotted down to the reports when I get them.

Meanwhile I am still in the middle of organising everything for study. I have absolutely loads of sample answers, notes, books, manuals and I am just trying to tidy everything up into sections etc so I can get learning. I will also add on new topics and try to tackle some new questions. Really gonna try concentrate on learning the material off this time around rather than constantly trying questions.

Have you started study yet? I am aiming to start next week.

But, were you doing your questions open or closed book??? i found doing questions closed book was quite good for memorising info.......

But were you doing your questions open book or closed book??? i find doing questions closed book is really good for memorising and learning!

I was doing a bit of both, well more so open book. I also think I have to practice the style of my answers, I think I am good at remembering a lot of the stuff it's just putting it into an answer and making it look well and flow that seems to hold me back a bit. That's another reason why I am starting to look at a few sample answers.

With regard the examiners reports that I ordered; I meant that after the exams I brought home the exam paper, but when I am in an exam I go through the paper and the questions and jot down cases/issues that I think are relevant on the actual exam paper before I go about answering. I still have the exam papers so it will be interesting to see how the information I jotted down beside the questions will fair against the examiners reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Right,have decided to pull the finger out and actually sit FE1s this October and not postpone..Now which ones to take!?Definitely want to sit Equity,since it's still fairly fresh in my mind.Not sure about which other three to take though.

I think it's a toss up between Contract,Tort,Criminal and Property.Is it better to sit exams side by side or try and have some breaks in between?

Right,have decided to pull the finger out and actually sit FE1s this October and not postpone..Now which ones to take!?Definitely want to sit Equity,since it's still fairly fresh in my mind.Not sure about which other three to take though.

I think it's a toss up between Contract,Tort,Criminal and Property.Is it better to sit exams side by side or try and have some breaks in between?

Most people on here will advise you to do Contract, Criminal, Equity and Property. Contract and Equity because there are some overlaps, especially with regard the remedies. Criminal because it has a short syllabus, but you do have to know everything. Property has a short enough syllabus too, and there is always, without fail, two questions on succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Thanks for the tip!Hope I haven't left things too late,two weeks in August are a write off with holidays.That gives me 10 weeks if I start Monday.Hopefully that'll be enough!

Anyone started study yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Yep then I stopped again, all the motivation just dissapeared with the weather , I don't know what I'm going to do when the Olympics start, as I'm really struggling to get going again.

godeas16 wrote: »
    Yep then I stopped again, all the motivation just dissapeared with the weather , I don't know what I'm going to do when the Olympics start, as I'm really struggling to get going again.

I started yesterday, got a nice bit done. Then today I did nothing, and I've work tomorrow! Very hard to get motivated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Well as I got pooh poohed for starting an undergrad thread so here I am!

Looking at Doyle here he says the Laurentiu is the only case of legislation being struck down as unconstitutional under Art 15.2.1 - is that still current? I had a feeling there was something quite recent?

A v Gov. Arbour Hill maybe?

Many Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

The Labour Court's wage setting mechanism was held unconstitutional on this ground last year:

http://www.courts.ie/judgments.nsf/6681dee4565ecf2c80256e7e0052005b/86974e2b607ca37e802578e8004b4d2d?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Sorry if this post is a little off topic as I know a lot of you are concerned about study posts etc but I'm hoping to one day sit the FE1's and I was just wondering about the cost aspect; what is the cost of actually sitting them? I've heard the Law Society is really expensive. Have most of you secured traineeships who are willing to pay for everything or are you digging deep into your own pockets??

Once again apologies if this is off topic! I've always planned on sitting the FE1's but have recently just thought about the finance surrounding them!

smeal wrote: »
    Sorry if this post is a little off topic as I know a lot of you are concerned about study posts etc but I'm hoping to one day sit the FE1's and I was just wondering about the cost aspect; what is the cost of actually sitting them? I've heard the Law Society is really expensive. Have most of you secured traineeships who are willing to pay for everything or are you digging deep into your own pockets??

Once again apologies if this is off topic! I've always planned on sitting the FE1's but have recently just thought about the finance surrounding them!

Well to actually sit the FE1's it's €880, that's if you sit all 8 at once, if you take 4 the first time, which most people do, then it's €440.

However you may decide to do a prep course, this would probably cost around €395 a subject, which is what Griffith charges I think. But there is deals if you take on say 4 or 8 subjects.

You don't have to do these prep courses though and you can study away on your own for them, however I would advise going onto the FE1 manuals thread and purchasing second hand manuals and sample answers as this will make your studies easier (usually around €50 for manual and an additional €10 or €20 for the sample answers). I would also recommend getting a leading textbook for the subject, although some people will tell you that the manual will be sufficient.

So if you did 4 exams the first time round that would be 440, plus we'll say 70 each for manuals etc. which is 280. That's 720 in total it would cost to prepare for the exams. If you don't have the leading text books you're looking at another 400-500, which could bring the total to 1100 or 1200.

However if you went with the Griffith prep course, it would be near 1200 for 4 subjects, and then the 440 for the exams, that would be over 1600.

So I suppose for 4 exams you could at least be looking at €700 or there abouts, or €1600ish at most.

Some people get taken on before they complete the FE1's and there employer will allow them some time off before the exams for study and will pay the cost to sit the exams, but I don't think they pay for the materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Okay brilliant thank you so much:)

Was q5 March 2012 Property Law a short answer on the interpretation of a will.. I can't see a hidden part (b) which requires discussion.

Three questions on Succession in 1 paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Was q5, March 2012 Property Law a 2 page answer on, the interpretation of a will.. Unless I can't see that there was a hidden, part (b) which required discussion.

Highly unlikely, a misidentification of the issues in one of them methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cfonz

Hi,
    I was just looking for some overall advice on sitting the FE1s in October. I've only recently decided to sit them so feel a little behind. What subjects are the best 4 to start off with? And do I need a textbook for each or would manuals and sample answers be sufficient? If textbooks are the way to go, which are the best ones? Sorry if this is a bit repetitive or off topic, feeling very lost! Appreciate any bit of help at all :)

Was q5, March 2012 Property Law a 2 page answer on, the interpretation of a will.. Unless I can't see that there was a hidden, part (b) which required discussion.

This is from the reports: "In general, candidates who this question on Proprietary Estoppel did well...... (I'm gonna skip what the examiner said about the facts here and move onto the end bit) ..... The Factors of assurance, reliance and detriment had to be explained and discussed with reference to relevant case law."

The examiner also listed a few cases that could be used and how it can tie into the facts (the parts I left out).

• Advertisement

cfonz wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was just looking for some overall advice on sitting the FE1s in October. I've only recently decided to sit them so feel a little behind. What subjects are the best 4 to start off with? And do I need a textbook for each or would manuals and sample answers be sufficient? If textbooks are the way to go, which are the best ones? Sorry if this is a bit repetitive or off topic, feeling very lost! Appreciate any bit of help at all :)

Most people will tell you that Contract, Criminal, Equity and Property are the best 4 to go with at first, but if you're good at the others then do them instead or include them. Contract and Equity have a bit of a crossover in the remedies and Criminal and Property don't have that long of a syllabus.

I would say get the most up to date manual, the leading textbook, some past exam papers and examiners reports, and finally some sample answers - that should be more than enough study material.

Also everyone will tell you to know as much as you can from each subject and try not to leave any topics out. Especially in Contract and Criminal, do not leave anything out here, I know from experience and leaving some topics out in some subjects can be the difference between passing and failing.

As for the leading textbooks, I would recommend the latest edition of Fiona De Londras: Principles of Irish Property Law, the latest edition of Hilary Delany's: Equity and Trusts Law, Robert Clarks: Contract Law In Ireland is a good text for that subject and Conor Hanly's an Introduction to Irish Criminal Law is also good (albeit a bit dated at this stage, but his book and the manual should show you what has changed or if anything new in Criminal has come up).

The leading texts are quite expensive, they can be bought online at this site: http://www.lawbooks.ie/index.jsp they are very good and usually deliver within a couple of days of ordering, you can order online or get there number and ring them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement