Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ned_led16 wrote: »

(i) the candidates who should be declared to have passed the Examination;
    (ii) the candidates who should be deemed to have passed individual examination(s) within the Examination; and

What the hell do they mean by individual examination with in the examination? Seems like a riddle to me, perhaps I am looking a little to much into this!

I get the feeling & my main concern is that they can say you sat a ghost 4th and mark you harder on the other three or is that not the really what they are trying to portray to candidates!?!

Its hard to define what the defenition of sit or attempt an exam is!

Given the capitalised "E", I imagine "Examination" is a defined term. Presumably there's is a definitions clause somewhere in the rules. Yes, it is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Can anyone tell me what came up in the last Constitutional paper?

Had a look through the thread and can't find a list of the questions.

Thanks folks.

Also...EU if you have them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dowistrepla

I was wondering could anyone give me an opinion on whether the manuals tailored for the FE1s would be useful for the same exams for the Kings Inns entrance exams? Or would there be a different focus between manuals.

I'm currently doing a dissertation for my masters and while I'm probably going to make a start on the FE1s this autumn part of me doesnt want to rule out doing the kings inns, evens if likely to be next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I was wondering could anyone give me an opinion on whether the manuals tailored for the FE1s would be useful for the same exams for the Kings Inns entrance exams? Or would there be a different focus between manuals.

I'm currently doing a dissertation for my masters and while I'm probably going to make a start on the FE1s this autumn part of me doesnt want to rule out doing the kings inns, evens if likely to be next year!

Some of them are quite similar, You would probably get away with it but the only thing I would worry about is if there was something missing from the FE1 manuals that is on the King's Inns syllabus that came up in the compulsory Question 1 of the KI exam, you would lose some marks. Unlikely but not impossible.

You will need to buy the evidence manual seperately anyways. or the 4 FE1 topics that arent on the KI exams too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dowistrepla

NoQuarter wrote: »

Some of them are quite similar, You would probably get away with it but the only thing I would worry about is if there was something missing from the FE1 manuals that is on the King's Inns syllabus that came up in the compulsory Question 1 of the KI exam, you would lose some marks. Unlikely but not impossible.

You will need to buy the evidence manual seperately anyways. or the 4 FE1 topics that arent on the KI exams too.
    Ye that would be the main worry, although I probably wouldn't be relying solely on the manuals in any case. Given I'll most likely be doing the FE1s I think I'll just get those manuals for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Ye that would be the main worry, although I probably wouldn't be relying solely on the manuals in any case. Given I'll most likely be doing the FE1s I think I'll just get those manuals for the moment.

If you solely rely on the manuals you will get youself a respectable pass. I got a first in one exam just using the manual. They are more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how tough it is to have numerous exams in a row. I was planning on doing criminal, contract, property and company and with the timetable up, I'd have exams on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Monday. I already have company and criminal notes and sample answer done so I need to keep them. I wondering should I stick to my plan and tough it out or sway property/contract for something else.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

sorchauna wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how tough it is to have numerous exams in a row. I was planning on doing criminal, contract, property and company and with the timetable up, I'd have exams on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Monday. I already have company and criminal notes and sample answer done so I need to keep them. I wondering should I stick to my plan and tough it out or sway property/contract for something else.

Thanks!

It can be very fatiguing right enough, but there are many people who sit and pass all eight in one go. Since everybody's circumstances will differ, it's impossible to generalise. If you do go for it, you'll need to carefully plan how you'll use your study and revision time just before the exams to give equal weight to all subjects. At least you have the weekend in between to get some rest. A lot will depend on your location too, if you live near enough to the Red Cow to sleep at home it'll be more restful than travelling from the far end of the country and staying in a hotel, etc.
    How tough the exams are for you is another factor - for a recent law graduate they should be straightforward enough, but if you've never studied law or if it's been a few years, there's a lot of work in getting FE1-fit. Even if you've done a four-year law degree or a primary degree and then a post-grad, you'll find that your first-year undergrad subject knowledge is now getting slightly stale - there are always new cases, new legislation, new European aspects etc so some research is necessary to come up-to-date.
    I would say at all costs pick three subjects at least where you think you have your absolute best likelihood of passing, so that you get on the greasy pole that leads to completion, no matter what days they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 O.T.W.

With Mod warning in mind, Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread where I may be able to acquire a Company Law 2011/12 manual? Cheers-

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Is there a date that all rechecks are given out or do they just arrive in the post one fine day??

• Advertisement

JCJCJC wrote: »
    It can be very fatiguing right enough, but there are many people who sit and pass all eight in one go. Since everybody's circumstances will differ, it's impossible to generalise. If you do go for it, you'll need to carefully plan how you'll use your study and revision time just before the exams to give equal weight to all subjects. At least you have the weekend in between to get some rest. A lot will depend on your location too, if you live near enough to the Red Cow to sleep at home it'll be more restful than travelling from the far end of the country and staying in a hotel, etc.
    How tough the exams are for you is another factor - for a recent law graduate they should be straightforward enough, but if you've never studied law or if it's been a few years, there's a lot of work in getting FE1-fit. Even if you've done a four-year law degree or a primary degree and then a post-grad, you'll find that your first-year undergrad subject knowledge is now getting slightly stale - there are always new cases, new legislation, new European aspects etc so some research is necessary to come up-to-date.

I would say at all costs pick three subjects at least where you think you have your absolute best likelihood of passing, so that you get on the greasy pole that leads to completion, no matter what days they are on.

Thanks for the advice JCJCJC, you've been very helpful to a new member such as myself. I had finished my law degree in 2010 and masters in commercial and company law in 2011 but sure most of the information I've learnt through the years has been pushed out! And to gain my 2.1 in both I never had to learn half the amount I say is exepected of the Fe's. It is a big task. I'm slowly coming to know why these exams are so hated! I'm from Cork so thats why I wondered what the best approach would have been. Its the added cost of either bunking up in the Ibis for the duration of have a gap of a day or so an travelling up from cork but it just adds to the whole cost of the exams.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

O.T.W. wrote: »
    With Mod warning in mind, Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread where I may be able to acquire a Company Law 2011/12 manual? Cheers-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056512376

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Just wondering how much of a chance a person stands of passing their first four exams while holding down a six day a week job??Have I left it too late to give myself a chance of passing at least 3 of them in October?! Since getting my law degree a couple of years ago I have been out of the studying game and right now with the start of all the prep courses just around the corner I am finding the prospect of studying for these dreaded exams VERY daunting! All advice appreciated!!

You can do it, you have loads of time. When I did them I really only started studying properly in August and I had a full-time job so the only time off was a day or so before they started and the days in between. I had never studied law before. I sat 4, got 3. (And didn't really try for the fourth so I was happy with that). Then I did the remaining 5 and got 4, then did the 1.

The exams are tough but I don't think the material is particularly difficult to get your head around. The problem is the volume of material the examiner can pick from and getting 5 good questions out in three hours. I did the GCD courses and found them great. No only are the manuals and lecturers good, the course keeps you working to a schedule so you aren't cramming at the end and they give you lists of what has come up every year and what may come up. That said, it is foolish to rely on your "bankers" - that may work for one or two exams but for many of the courses you need to pretty much cover the whole syallabus. The year I did property Adverse possession, one of the bankers, came up as a part A question, and if you hadn't covered part B you lost one of your best. And what they say about needing 5 good questions rather than 4 great is true - I threw a question on my equity paper, thought it was specific performance and it was a Quia Timet injunction and while I though I had done ok I failed the whole paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

sorchauna wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice JCJCJC, you've been very helpful to a new member such as myself. I had finished my law degree in 2010 and masters in commercial and company law in 2011 but sure most of the information I've learnt through the years has been pushed out! And to gain my 2.1 in both I never had to learn half the amount I say is exepected of the Fe's. It is a big task. I'm slowly coming to know why these exams are so hated! I'm from Cork so thats why I wondered what the best approach would have been. Its the added cost of either bunking up in the Ibis for the duration of have a gap of a day or so an travelling up from cork but it just adds to the whole cost of the exams.

Cheers!

My pleasure to pass on lessons all learnt the hard way. As for the travelling - I passed my last four on day-trips, 150 miles on the morning of the exam from West Limerick, leaving home around 6 am. Allow more than enough time, and get right over into the far left lane from Brown's Barn on in until after the Green Isle Hotel, the outer two seem to stop dead.

I believe you learn, remember and recall more information if it gets into your head in different ways - ie alternatives to just reading. With that in mind, I record my ultimate summary notes in a dictaphone and play it in the car on the way to the Red Cow. Between making the main notes, summary notes, reading them into the dictaphone, and listening to them back in my own voice, the data has been rolling around the half-dozen brain cells I still have that are not destroyed by drink and cigars. I also use Tony Buzan's books on memory techniques and the books they give out to leaving Cert students on study skills.
    I also had some hypnotherapy for memory, concentration and motivation from the very nice lady at www.hypnosisacademy.ie who is well worth a call if you are having any problems in that area! I thought there was great benefit from it anyway, and she has actually studied under Tony Buzan.
    Since you did your LLM in Company Law it can only help. An LLM in a subject the FE1s don't examine is obviously no great help and the time it takes to do it only makes your primary degree knowledge go stale.
    Good luck with it. I won't be looking in here as often as I used to, since I've them all passed now, but if there's a big row or a flame war or something else interesting going on let me know so that I can join in and keep it going ;-)

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Oddly , i haven passed tort and property law twice now and have failed criminal law twice. Need to do something different!!!????
    I think i simply lacked specific detail on each topic...... case names - section no's and accurate definitions - also an under grad degree in law would have been helpful no doubt!

Anyway i am going to observe some more cases this week and think that i would learn more in the district court in Cork, opposed to the Circuit Court... would it be fair to say that an average day in the district court would have a greater relevance to the fe1s than that of the circuit???
    Its good to be reminded of the sections for the different offences and hear what the Judges are saying! Practical learning is so much easier to retain information opposed to reading books all day long!!

Any free parking in the City by the Courts??

Good luck to all that are studying for the Oct sitting!

Oddly , i haven passed tort and property law twice now and have failed criminal law twice. Need to do something different!!!????
    I think i simply lacked specific detail on each topic...... case names - section no's and accurate definitions - also an under grad degree in law would have been helpful no doubt!

Anyway i am going to observe some more cases this week and think that i would learn more in the district court in Cork, opposed to the Circuit Court... would it be fair to say that an average day in the district court would have a greater relevance to the fe1s than that of the circuit???
    Its good to be reminded of the sections for the different offences and hear what the Judges are saying! Practical learning is so much easier to retain opposed to reading books all day long!!

Any free parking in the City by the Courts??

Good luck to all that are studying for the Oct sitting!

There is no free parking around the courts in Cork so you need to put it in the car parks. There usually is disk parking by the Courts but this fills up easily because with the District Court, Cork City Council and the main Gardai station in cork are across the road. The Circuit Court in Washington Street would have some disc parking nearby but not as much.

I don't know what would be more relevant to help you with the Fe's. But have been around both courts as I have worked in numerous solicitors, the District Court staff are really nice and easier to deal with when your new and not knowing where to go. The other thing is any time we had people on work experiences in the law offices I've worked in or when I used to get law experience, solicitors allow them to go to District Court alone. This Court are more use to have random law students passing in and out listening to cases than in the Circuit Court so I would recommed District Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

The Griffith manual for ciminal law states that the defence of insanity can be used in any criminal trial....
    I am little confused as a Barrister in the Circuit Court today said to the Jury - thje defence of insanity can not be used where a defendant was intoxicated......

The Circuit court is hearing a case at the moment where a guy attacked a garda with a knife and stole his car - driving it through the fence at the airport onto the runway! The Prosecution said he wasnt intoxicated but if he was the defence of insanity couldnt be used... seems a little odd - what if your drunk and insane?

Sorry prob a very basic question!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

The Griffith manual for ciminal law states that the defence of insanity can be used in any criminal trial....
    I am little confused as a Barrister in the Circuit Court today said to the Jury - thje defence of insanity can not be used where a defendant was intoxicated......

The Circuit court is hearing a case at the moment where a guy attacked a garda with a knife and stole his car - driving it through the fence at the airport onto the runway! The Prosecution said he wasnt intoxicated but if he was the defence of insanity couldnt be used... seems a little odd - what if your drunk and insane?

Sorry prob a very basic question!

It's probably not quite that. The 2006 Act excludes "intoxication" from the definition of "mental disorder". What you may have been hearing was a submission or argument that the state which may result from intoxication can't be mental disorder for the purpose of the 2006 Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LorcanN

Just wondering what people think are the best FE1 courses in Ireland. Trying to decide the best route to take now that I am finished my studies and any help would be most appreciated.

Was your undergrad Law?

• Advertisement

Was your undergrad Law?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LorcanN

Ya. Undergrad in Law and European studies in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

Whole big thread on this.

You went the long way around then from UCD Commerce? Cool to see someone following the dream!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73996717

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawgirl12

LorcanN wrote: »
    Just wondering what people think are the best FE1 courses in Ireland. Trying to decide the best route to take now that I am finished my studies and any help would be most appreciated.

Having dealt with most of the FE1 prep course providers at one stage or another, I would say City Colleges are by far the best to deal with. The courses are better value, their notes are more concise, and the lecturers are top class (many of ICD's lecturers moved to City when they opened last year). They correct the homework much quicker than ICD & personally I found the lecturers were more helpful as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

Hi folks, taking eu, company, contract and con law this time round. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the core topics for eu, constitutional and company? I know you cant very leave much out of anyone of them, but does anyone know of any direct banker answers for these? also in relation to lorcans question- im taking the icd course at the minute, teaching is good but i have not experienced the others, would advise anyone to start with the sample questions and answers however, so much in the manual in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

I know this thread is only for discussion and not adverts but has the thread for manuals closed? Just wondering where to go to get the manuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

lbcoconut wrote: »
    I know this thread is only for discussion and not adverts but has the thread for manuals closed? Just wondering where to go to get the manuals?

tumblr_lv8353geeG1qzscwd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 userlady

I'm selling my 2012 FE1 Independent College manuals in Criminal, Contract, Equity and Property. Each subject comes with the manual, notes from class, past papers, examiner reports and exam grids. If you're interested private mail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

tumblr_lv8353geeG1qzscwd.jpg
    Is there a problem? All I asked for was a bit of quick advice

• Advertisement

lbcoconut wrote: »

There is another thread open for this.

Probably only a few threads below this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement