Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Emo" Thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Binomate wrote:

Careful now, she will turn her face like Jesus did.

Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 browler

Irn-Bru Goth Holiday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Dny-s27Dk

has me in stiches every time i see it on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

R_H_C_P wrote:
    but I dont go saying on like myspace etc. "I like to slit my wrists", "Im soooo depressed" basicly attention seeking and I dont wear make-up what ever ye think fits stereo-typical b/s!
    Not entirely sure what defines "emo" these people are just attention-whoring twits IMO.

Reading more of this thread apparently I listen to a lot of "emo" music (I would've classed it as rock/pop but whatever), but then I listen to a lot of music regardless of genre, and in honesty I do practice self mutilation but I don't believe the world owes me a damned thing, I'm just unhappy and this is how I deal with it, have I given anything to the world to make it owe me? No! Like everyone else I've taken more than I gave back so I in fact owe the world. Don't have the "emo haircut" either, long hair that could get in my eyes/ears would just bug me.

phasers wrote:
    most of my friends are emo

but they only turn at the weekend when we're in the vicinity of central bank/ temple bar
    they're fantastic during the week, then come Saturday it's on with the eyeliner and crappy bands blasting from ipods
    they squeal, they giggle and they wear stupid clothes
    they talk about being "randum" and about how everyone hates them
    they talk about being individual whilst buying the same Jack skellington hoodie as their friends
    Thought the ones around the central bank were goths?:confused:
    Well anyway I'm afraid your friends are probably in the subgroup I do find irritating then: "SHEEP!" (a.k.a. phoneys, posers, wannabes, etc...)
    Don't care who they're trying to blend with but I just don't like people who only do stuff because others are doing it and they want to fit with the crowd. Gas thing is I can always spot the sheep in the flock no problem. Oh well, at least someday they might grow spines and legs, learn to stand on their own rather than continue their lives as but a mirror to those around them.... (PS my own sister sadly falls under the sheep classification but has thankfully began to outgrow it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I like Jimmy Eat World. Am I an emu?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I used to cut myself every day when I was a tiling.
    Can I be emo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Duggy747 wrote:
    Right, time for some daft pics!

This is the only emo pic you need

Binomate wrote:
    Thats why I don't like emo. Give me scangers any day over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I'm sick of hearing Emos say "He's not a REAL Emo. He's just a poser."

That is just trying to distance themselves from the stupid, stupid characteristics of emos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

actually every few weeks/months at about 8am when a session is dying or people are gone to the shop or asleap whatever, when theres only a few left going when where talking sometimes someone will mention that word "emo" and i just dont understand it at all. ive asked my mates to show me a emo or tell me but still no luck. what exeatly is one i saw something about edward sizorhands but i havent seen it (black tranchcoast with madd hands from the box) anyway

what makes these "emo's" and if you dont like them why go where they go or even ackknowledge there existence, just ignore them and without anyone to talk to or there own unique style of music that curtural trend would collpase and there would be no more "emo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dragan wrote:
    I don't know, all those bands would be second wave emocore to me, by way of Embrace and Beefeater etc.

Remember, it all started off as a hardcore spin off.
    Yes, but Fugazi dismissed the term "Emo" to describe their music, and they've been credited as one of the key bands in the "genre". For me, that essentially means calling any similar bands emo to be unjustifiable, and what's generally refferred to as emo by the modern media(MCR, Fall Out Boy etc.) is totally different to any of the earlier "emo" bands, so you're left wondering "wtf is emo?" and I've come to realise that it's a totally unnecessary term musicwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I know what Emo is....it's a place six miles outside of Portlaoise. A nice quaint village by the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Emos/Goths are fake attention-seekers.They say they will be like this forever but just turns out to be a phase!And they wonder why we don't beleive them. They're making a mockery of people who have ACTUAL emotional and mental problems."Oh the whole world is against us,We just want to belong so leave us alone"

And who the **** wears black tops and trenchcoats on hot days?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think that people who are giving out about Emos really need some perspective. Who gives two ****s if some kids are moany and write poetry and listen to crappy bands?

Cop on to yourselves, there's teenage ****es out there who are mugging people, robbing cars, beating people up for fun, and are the sole reason Dutch Gold exists. I'd take 50 emos over 5 of the knakcer scum this country is infested with.

This thread, is ****ing retarded.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gotta agree with Karl - they're harmless and I'd much prefer them to hang around than the trouble-seeking skangers. In fact, they kind of make me smile in an "Awww, silly little emos - aren't they cute" way, rather than "Crap, better steer clear of them" way. In fact there was one emo (at the Central Bank of course) whom I saw recently and he was just sitting there, with the best "world hates me" scowl I've ever seen. Someone should have just given him a hug! Silly little emo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

R_H_C_P wrote:
    It would be the other way around dumb****!

Hahaha. What would be the other way around? You mean that emos won't look back and think how ridiculous they were when they were younger? Fair enough. We'll see.
    R_H_C_P wrote:
    So go back to the gym you homo!

I'm not gay. Judging by the tone of your post though, you must really hate gay people to use 'homo' in such an aggressive and derogatory way. Shame on you. Please don't breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

tech77 wrote:
    :D:D

Isn't emo something that has always been around.
    in other words 'just being a stereotypical angst-ridden disaffected teenager listening to angst-ridden music and being disillusioned with the world'. Or can someone tell me what more there is to it.
    The above description is not necessarily meant to be a criticism BTW.

I'm just wondering is there any major difference between emo and e.g the grunge or goth movements. These could be described as emotional/disaffected/alienated and poetic as well couldn't they. How is emo distinct from this. Less angry maybe?
    Or could emo be a kind of catch-all type description for this stuff.

I think this is the most sensible post so far.

Hands up who used to be a grunger? I had long hair with an undercut, wore check shirts and listened to Nirvana but I don't think I was unusually disaffected/alienated. Eventually I grew up to be an adult who isn't unusually disaffected/alienated but now I prefer Kraftwerk.

Happy ending

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'll tell you what would drive the Emos out of Ireland... play Phil Collins on a massive speaker 24/7 and you should see the Emos going 'in the air tonight'. But I'll sleep like a baby :).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

They're starting to merge now tho,goths and emo's.gonna make a film about it
    Finding gemo: One goths journey of self exploration into the depths of depression.
    Gemo: I cut myself to feel alive!

Pack of wasters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

another thing that pisses me off about emos (i could write a ****ing diatribe novel about the cvnts) they strive to be oukast yet they loved too be noticed
    on break from work the other day walkin up grafton street this Emo teen girl comes running up to me, stops me and says "YAY FREE HUGS!"
    which led me to scream 'PISS OFF EMO BITCH!' to which it replies.
    'Meany... and I'm a guy!!!'

:eek: :mad: I hate them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Goat Mouth wrote:
    on break from work the other day walkin up grafton street this Emo teen girl comes running up to me, stops me and says "YAY FREE HUGS!"

Awww, that's so nice! You can never have enough hugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

OK everybody moaning about emo kids grow up, who cares what they wear / do / say, it isn't harming you so just live and let live, emo music is pretty cool too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

can't we all just get along?

if an emo was guy, so? does it effect you?

at leasst there is less competition from him on the girls front. jesus what do most of ye do at a night club pub? stare in the corner going "ah look at the state of that t((ser.? jesus if so maybe you need to change scenery or group of friends

i am really sick of how people look down on others for their choice in clothes and music. okay no harm in taking the p8ss every now and then sure we all have to laugh at ourselves.

i like tracksuit bottoms and the latest trainers like many, but i use to hate been classed as a sham, knacker, skanger etc when i went into college during the day time. whilst it no harm in poking fun but not everyone wants to wear their sunday best going into college. (some of them i would have considered pouncy ,, but there you go me been stereotypical then)

it is really unfair how people get judged by what they were. i know plenty of lads who wear clothes that one may consider skanger, jesus my brother, wears all that eminem stuff. i also mates with a few emo and goths. all of them the salt of the earth. i always find it funny how twits (when they opened their mouths its like ass if they have never spoken to a person before) come up to them and then express how shoced they are to realise what nice people they are etcc.. you would swear they are fantastic themselves.

i know i am ranting, and i know this thread was probably a light hearted piece of fun, but consider our selves lucky that this aint the 1980's when ya had damn all dosh to have the luxury to buy your nike or dye your hair black etc. if everyone was the same it would be a boring place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Free hugs from a lady boy...hmmmm

Eh, a mouths a mouth..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Free hugs from a lady boy...hmmmm

Eh, a mouths a mouth..
    Well at least the ladies would probably love it, they always seem to love lads being more effeminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

i like tracksuit bottoms and the latest trainers like many, but i use to hate been classed as a sham, knacker, skanger etc when i went into college during the day time. whilst it no harm in poking fun but not everyone wants to wear their sunday best going into college. (some of them i would have considered pouncy ,, but there you go me been stereotypical then)

I go to work every day with all these fancy shmancy European scientists, stiff upper lip types. Rare is the day I'm not in an American Football/Baseball/Soccer Jersey/ F1 pit-shirt, a pair of baggy TSBs and runners (I don't own shoes). Comfortable-est clothes going, and I couldnt give a fiddlers if they think I'm a weirdo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

zuutroy wrote:
    I go to work every day with all these fancy shmancy European scientists, stiff upper lip types. Rare is the day I'm not in an American Football/Baseball/Soccer Jersey/ F1 pit-shirt, a pair of baggy TSBs and runners (I don't own shoes). Comfortable-est clothes going, and I couldnt give a fiddlers if they think I'm a weirdo.

I have the dubious joy of being attached to the marketing department of one of the biggest companies in Ireland. I'm surrounded by folks in all kinds of suit and shirt combo's, pink ties and pink shirts are everywhere and the girls are worse.

I'm sat here in my torn jeans, converse and Philli Eagles top. Comfort is everything, else my brain doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

i've skids on my pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

.....and are the sole reason Dutch Gold exists.

Heyyyy, less of the dutchy bashing, i am actually quite partial to it myself and it's quite the popular student drink too! Or at least it used to be.

Ah, Emo's are grand, they just look funny is all.

Advertisement