Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Emo" Thing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Cremo wrote:
    why do people care so much about what other people look like, dress like, taste in music etc etc.

fairly ****ing shallow to look down on a person because of their appearance and tastes.

jesus chillax man were only joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok, probably because I've hit me ol' 40's, but I haven't a bleed'n clue what ''EMO'' mean's... Or AFRIAK (Or however its spelt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭A racy brainrot

i just realised from those pictures that i fit into the whole "emo" category

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jesus chillax man were only joking
    i'm not talking about here, i'm talking in general, everywhere i go i get people moaning and whinging about emo's.

like who the **** cares, in fact it's a tad hypocritical of them to be moaning about emo's don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Mairt wrote:
    Ok, probably because I've hit me ol' 40's, but I haven't a bleed'n clue what ''EMO'' mean's... Or AFRIAK (Or however its spelt)

i'll probably get shot down by the fashion police , but i think its a re-interpretation of Goths /Cure heads who had a big eneough following twenty years ago ... they listen to more modern music , think the killers are mild emo -- hangout around the central bank off peak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Cremo wrote:
    i'm not talking about here, i'm talking in general, everywhere i go i get people moaning and whinging about emo's.

like who the **** cares, in fact it's a tad hypocritical of them to be moaning about emo's don't you think?

i suppose but everyone gets it from somebody. i got my haircut there about a month ago ( heartbreaken stuff) but you would walk down the road and hear

" get your hair cut you hippie" or " doirty smelly rocker go listen to korn,korn on the cob"

but just give as much as ya get and itl be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Cremo wrote:

What Niall said.

thebaz wrote:
    i'll probably get shot down by the fashion police , but i think its a re-interpretation of Goths /Cure heads who had a big eneough following twenty years ago ... they listen to more modern music , think the killers are mild emo -- hangout around the central bank off peak
    you were doing ok there until you mentioned the killers.

emo stands for emotional generally used to describe a music genre, but due to the music press' laziness and general ****-headedness they label the wrong band with the label emo, it's also use to describe people who listen to the said music.

generally the people that are being described in this thread are the media's definition of emo.

for more information on emo music check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

this link has information to what is a good indication of what is emo music pay attention to the "third wave" entry, it's where most of the media's emo is.

like most appearances people take it way to far, emo is no exception either is skangerism

Piste wrote:
    What Niall said.
    i wish there was a madder face than this :mad: but it will have to do, pitty it looks like the smiley is taking a **** and i'm generally happy when doing so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ooh I've touched a nerve. My age has nothing to do with this at all at all

Haha! my god.. Well with your little immature rant I would guess you 15-16 unless you beg to differ?

Im 17 nearly 18. And when I say semi emo I mean I have the hair, I like the music but I dont go saying on like myspace etc. "I like to slit my wrists", "Im soooo depressed" basicly attention seeking and I dont wear make-up what ever ye think fits stereo-typical b/s!

to "thelastangryman"
    Im sorry to say your the ****ing weird one. Most of ye are probably going by the stereo-typical view on emos and not actually kno any one who i emo!

Also if people that are taking the piss out of a trend are above the age of 18-19 ye have alot of grown up to do!

How about we rant on metal now! jeez I havent seen anything newly creative in metal since I was 2. how about a shower now and again. maybe shave a little.. Pfft.. stereo-typical. And I actually love metal so Im taking the stereo-typical piss!

Now how about rap. Actually Im not gonna be a stupid as most of the people out there.

But ye can see where I am going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I wish I was teenaged again so that I could go (be?) emo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

R_H_C_P wrote:
    Haha! my god.. Well with your little immature rant I would guess you 15-16 unless you beg to differ?

Im 17 nearly 18.

Well I'm older than you are I'll tell you that much.

By the way, you don't come across very mature when you say " Im 17 nearly 18". I suppose you're 17 and 3/4. Nearly there!:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Well in all fairness grow up and accept change and act your age!

And wow man, what an attack.... Im so upset now.... jesus you really have nothing to go at me about! lol! Sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

R_H_C_P wrote:
    ^Well in all fairness grow up and accept change and act your age!

And wow man, what an attack.... Im so upset now.... jesus you really have nothing to go at me about! lol! Sad!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

I loved Rod Hull and Emu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I agree with Cremo, who the fvck cares about them! Jayzus, everybody here is acting like earth was just a place were you train to hate emo's! Me, I'm not a fun of them either but if you openly say you hate the craters then your just being outspoken a little bit don't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd do the whole emo thing if black suited me, but it doesn't, and my hair's curly so that's that right out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is what emo is all about
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zwaj8BZrKE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well, I am defending the emos here, but My Chemical Romance are sh1t I hate them! Not because emo, don't get me wrong... but every single time I hear there music it mades my wanna shoot where its comin' from with me AK-47!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Lillyella wrote:
    I loved Rod Hull and Emu.

:D:D

Isn't emo something that has always been around.
    in other words 'just being a stereotypical angst-ridden disaffected teenager listening to angst-ridden music and being disillusioned with the world'. Or can someone tell me what more there is to it.
    The above description is not necessarily meant to be a criticism BTW.

I'm just wondering is there any major difference between emo and e.g the grunge or goth movements. These could be described as emotional/disaffected/alienated and poetic as well couldn't they. How is emo distinct from this. Less angry maybe?
    Or could emo be a kind of catch-all type description for this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

There's too much emo whine in this thread :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

What I find weird is that people are acting like this is something new. The clothes, make up, music and attitudes are just watered down americanised versions of things that were around up to 25 years ago. Its goth mixed with grunge. The old style goths look way way better though. Ah god be with the days, twas all fields etc

Am late 20s but threads like this make me feel 50. Still though..they have:my chemical sisters funeral blood soaked rage. We had:sisters of mercy. We so win.

omg am old and petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I wish my hair was Emo so it would cut itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

You all make me feel so sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I'm an emo trapped in a goths body. You cant imagine how frustrating it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

DarkJager wrote:
    I wish my hair was Emo so it would cut itself...

Heh :D
    http://www.thelivingroomstudio.com/images/LJpics/emo-lawn.jpg

I just don't like the whole thing in general. The entire music genre, especially Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance makes me want to get sick, the hair I find ridiculous (a lot of times dyed-black and gelled to the right side), tight-jeans, and godawful-coloured converse runners. Seriously, you're asking for trouble when you're a guy and you wear bright pink shoes.

I've met quite a lot of them over the past while, especially in Galway where it's swarming with them and frankly most of them annoyed the head outta me!! A case of over-indulgence of Family Guy & Monty Python movies, quoting them at the drop of a hat as if they have no other vocabulary!! It seems a lot of them, especially the ones I met, are spoilt bastards where mummy pays for their living while they go around talking as if they know everything-about-nothing and, suprise suprise, corporate America and the "murder for hunt of oil!", while being complete wasters at the same time!!

They ain't depressed people, but spending a few minutes with some of them will make you depressed!!

Duggy747 wrote:
    I just don't like the whole thing in general. The entire music genre, especially Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance makes me want to get sick, the hair I find ridiculous (a lot of times dyed-black and gelled to the right side), tight-jeans, and godawful-coloured converse runners. Seriously, you're asking for trouble when you're a guy and you wear bright pink shoes.

what kind of trouble?

do skinny jeans and converse hurt you seriously?

ohh and the bands you mentioned aren't emo - in the music sense - in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

To all the Emos on here defending themselves - you WILL be embarrassed by your current behaviour when you get older. Of that you can be sure. So try not to get in the way of any cameras. Freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Cremo wrote:
    what kind of trouble?

Well, what trouble do you think a guy would get for wearing pink shoes casually, mortage payments?
    Cremo wrote:
    do skinny jeans and converse hurt you seriously?.

About as much as the way as knackers or smarmy cúnts' dress. And speaking of which, does my post really hurt YOU seriously?
    Cremo wrote:
    ohh and the bands you mentioned aren't emo - in the music sense - in the slightest.

What are they, Jazz? Saying they're not emo is like saying Boards.ie was found in the deepest jungles of Cambodia.

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote:
    Well, what trouble do you think a guy would get for wearing pink shoes casually, mortage payments?
    well considering about 90% aren't old enough to have a mortage no, i don't see anything wrong with someone - even guys - wearing pink.

Duggy747 wrote:
    About as much as the way as knackers or smarmy cúnts' dress. And speaking of which, does my post really hurt YOU seriously?
    nope.
    Duggy747 wrote:
    What are they, Jazz? Saying they're not emo is like saying Boards.ie was found in the deepest jungles of Cambodia.
    well of course it boils down to what you think is and isn't emo music, to me emo music is the likes of:

at the drive-in
    sparta
    sunny day real estate
    weezer
    saves the day

all good bands who are what i'd consider emo music.

fall out boy and my chemical romance i'd consider them both manufactured pop punk bands for 14 year old girls, being into the band because the bassist and or singer is hot. they are basically artists who are like generic pop artists but can play instruments (although that can be debated too).

it's just this though i don't understand people say they hate emo's and hate knackers. i can sort of agree with knackers as they actually go out of their way to cause trouble, what do emo's do? generally any emo person i've met have been nice and actually more sounded than your regular folks.

Advertisement