Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling DVDs Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I guess with an RRP of 19.99,then changing that to euro so its about 25 euro.
    So 30 aint the worst price. Yeah i got some of the wrestling Dvds in HMV over the summer. 7 euro is a great price for them. They still have alot of the 08 and 09 Dvds for 7/8 euro in HMV on Grafton Street.

Yeah i would kinda prefer to swap with some other people on here. I think wrestlemania 1-6 have not even been watched yet cos i got the boxset.

Cheers for the silver vision link again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Allied Powers has some SUPERB matches on it... I recommend it to anyone who hasn't picked it up yet...
    I read your review here - http://www.ifight365.com/2009/11/throwing-in-the-towel-dvd-review-wwe-allied-powers-the-world%E2%80%99s-greatest-tag-teams-2/

Strange review. I didn't get the impression from the review that you thought the matches were superb. Sure one or two might be but you crapped on a fair few of them there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I read your review here - http://www.ifight365.com/2009/11/throwing-in-the-towel-dvd-review-wwe-allied-powers-the-world%E2%80%99s-greatest-tag-teams-2/

Strange review. I didn't get the impression from the review that you thought the matches were superb. Sure one or two might be but you crapped on a fair few of them there...

I don't actually understand the point of what your saying...
    I gave positive reviews to the following,

The Steiner Brothers vs. Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki
    The Hardy Boys vs. Edge and Christian
    The Fantastics vs. The Midnight Express
    The Rockers vs. The Brainbusters
    Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik vs. Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda
    The Dudley Boys vs. The Hardy Boys (Cage Match to Unify the WCW and WWE tag titles)
    Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Sting & Nikita Koloff
    The Miz and John Morrison vs. Shawn Michaels & Rey Mysterio
    The Hart Foundation vs. The Fabulous Rougeaus
    Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boys vs. The Dudleys (TLC match)
    The Rock ‘N’ Roll Express vs. Krusher Khrushchev & Ivan Koloff
    The World’s Greatest Tag Team vs. Los Guerreros

Surely that's not out of synch with my comment that the release has "Some superb matches"?
    To be honest, the format and doc really did frustrate me, but I was just saying that at that price, you're getting some cracking bouts...

BTW, I liked the Dusty one alot... I didn't review it, so I can't reference anything in particular off the top of my head, but there was alot of fresh stuff on it (when it was released at least). The documentary may be a bit overfamiliar now given his appearances on other releases, but It's definitely worth thirteen quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Some strange match choices but it looks pretty good overall. The lack of a feature on Dean Malenko is criminal:
    http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/Wrestling-s-Highest-Flyers-DVD-3-Discs.html
    WWE1252-front.jpg
    A Different Stratosphere

Ricky Steamboat

Ricky Steamboat vs. Brian Pillman
    Halloween Havoc October 25, 1992

Evan Bourne

Evan Bourne vs. Zack Ryder
    Superstars June 11, 2009

Sky-View with Evan Bourne

Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka

Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka vs. Samu
    Madison Square Garden February 20, 1984

New Style

WCW Cruiserweights

Juventud Guerrera, Hector Garza, Lizmark Jr. vs. La Parka, Psychosis, Villano IV
    Bash at the Beach July 13, 1997

Shelton Benjamin

Gold Rush Tournament Match
    Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton Benjamin
    RAW May 2, 2005

Ultimo Dragon

J-Crown Cruiserweight Championship Match
    Ultimo Dragon vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.
    World War 3 November 24, 1996

Eddie Guerrero

ECW World Television Championship Match
    Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko
    Hardcore TV July 21, 1995

Special Features

Ultimo Dragon vs. Psychosis
    Uncensored March 16. 1997

Chavo Guerrero vs. Jamie Noble
    SmackDown April 18, 2008

Sky-Cam with Jamie Noble

Flight Turbulence

Degree of Difficulty

Chris Jericho

WCW Cruiserweight Championship Match
    Chris Jericho vs. Ultimo Dragon
    Bash at the Beach July 13, 1997

1-2-3 Kid

1-2-3 Kid vs. Hakushi
    SummerSlam August 27, 1995

Sky-View with John Morrison

John Morrison

John Morrison vs. Tyson Kidd
    Superstars July 30, 2009

High Flying Duos

Tag Teams

WWE Tag Team Championship – Triangle Ladder Match
    Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz vs. Edge / Christian
    WrestleMania 2000 April 2, 2000

Super Crazy

3-Way Dance
    Tajiri vs. Super Crazy vs. Little Guido
    ECW One Night Stand June 12, 2005

Brian Pillman

Brian Pillman vs. Alex Wright
    Great American Bash June 18, 1995

Great Muta

Great Muta vs. Sting
    Japan Supershow March 21, 1991

Rob Van Dam

Hardcore Championship Match
    Jerry Lynn vs. Rob Van Dam
    Sunday Night Heat August 5, 2001

Special Feature

The Hardy Boyz vs. Kai En Tai
    Sunday Night Heat September 27, 1998

Shawn Michaels

WWE Championship Match
    Shawn Michaels vs. Vader
    SummerSlam August 18, 1996

Flash Funk

2 Cold Scorpio vs. Sabu
    CyberSlam February 17, 1996

Sky-View with Kofi Kingston

Kofi Kingston

Intercontinental Championship Tournament Finals
    Kofi Kingston vs. Christian
    SmackDown May 14, 2010

Aerodynamics

WWE Light Heavyweights

WWE Light Heavyweight Championship Match
    Taka Michinoku vs. Pantera
    In Your House: No Way Out February 15, 1998

Lita

WWE Women's Championship Match
    Lita vs. Trish Stratus
    RAW December 6, 2004

Sabu

Sabu vs. Rob Van Dam
    Guilty as Charged January 9, 2000

Jeff Hardy

Steel Cage Match
    Jeff Hardy vs. Umaga
    RAW January 7, 2008

Rey Mysterio

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Eddie Guerrero
    Halloween Havoc October 26, 1997

Special Feature

Juventud Guerrero vs. Billy Kidman
    World War 3 November 22, 1998

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Dean Malenko is a mat-based wrestler though; he never does any high-flying moves?

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Dean Malenko is a mat-based wrestler though; he never does any high-flying moves?

But he was the greatest Cruiserweight of all time. It's not like Jericho (though he did dabble more in his early career) is known particularly for high flying. Plus the lack of a Kidman profile is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Evan Bourne vs Zack Ryder from Superstars got on this?? All credit to Zack Ryder but surely Bourne's match against Y2J at Fatal-4-Way would be a better choice??

But he was the greatest Cruiserweight of all time. It's not like Jericho (though he did dabble more in his early career) is known particularly for high flying. Plus the lack of a Kidman profile is strange.

I disagree- Jericho was most definitely a high-flyer in his youth, particularly with his Mexican learning. Though I do think he attempted to be a high-impact one in the style of Benoit.
    Malenko was always a mat-wrestler, and would definitely suit a "technicians" set better- maybe we'll get something along those lines in the future....

Yeah, there should definitely be a kidman feature. It doesn't look perfect, but at least there's variety on it.

Evan Bourne vs Zack Ryder from Superstars got on this?? All credit to Zack Ryder but surely Bourne's match against Y2J at Fatal-4-Way would be a better choice??

Probably happened too recently to make the cut, though Bourne has had better matches than that one with Ryder anyway (his ECW match against Morrison spings to mind but that was on the Morrison DVD).
    Malenko was always a mat-wrestler, and would definitely suit a "technicians" set better- maybe we'll get something along those lines in the future...

Would there be enough footage for an entire set on Technicians especially without Benoit? It's why I'd question limiting this to exclusivly high flyers rather than Cruiserweights but I suppose Malenko is featured in a match. It is a very good, diverse DVD though in fairness.

http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/item/2152-asylum-years-dvd-coming-sept-21
    "BEST OF THE ASYLUM YEARS, VOL. 1" DOUBLE-DISC DVD COMING SEPT 21 TO MAJOR RETAILERS AND SHOPTNA.COM

TNA Wrestling has opened the vault and now you can see some of the best matches from the early days that helped shape TNA into the wrestling phenomenon it is today! The double-disc DVD contains over 20 rare matches from TNA's events at the Asylum in Nashville, Tennessee, from 2002-2004.

Witness the rise of TNA Wrestling, the start of the X Division with AJ Styles and Jerry Lynn, the emergence of tag teams like America's Most Wanted and Triple X, the war between Jeff Jarrett and Raven, Jeff Hardy's TNA debut, hardcore action with Sabu and Abyss and much, much more!

The match listings are below - get it starting September 21 at major retailers and ShopTNA.com:

Disc 1

MATCH #1: JULY 24, 2002
    SABU VS KEN SHAMROCK

MATCH #2: AUGUST 28, 2002
    AJ STYLES VS LOW KI VS JERRY LYNN

MATCH #3: APRIL 30, 2003
    RAVEN VS JEFF JARRETT

MATCH #4: MAY 7, 2003
    ELIX SKIPPER AND LOW KI VS AJ STYLES AND D'LO BROWN

MATCH #5: JUNE 11, 2003
    JEFF JARRETT VS RAVEN VS AJ STYLES

MATCH #6: JUNE 25, 2003
    TRIPLE X VS AMERICA'S MOST WANTED

MATCH #7: SEPTEMBER 17, 2003
    RAVEN VS SHANE DOUGLAS

MATCH #8: NOVEMBER 12, 2003
    JEFF JARRETT AND LEX LUGER VS AJ STYLES AND STING

BONUS MATCH:

AUGUST 6, 2003
    AJ STYLES VS D’LO BROWN

Disc 2

MATCH #1: FEBRUARY 18, 2004
    JULIO DINERO AND CM PUNK VS TERRY FUNK AND RAVEN

MATCH#2: MARCH 17, 2004
    AJ STYLES VS ABYSS

MATCH #3: APRIL 14, 2004
    SABU VS MONTY BROWN

MATCH #4: APRIL 21, 2004
    JEFF JARRETT VS AJ STYLES

MATCH #5: JUNE 9, 2004
    KAZARIAN VS AJ STYLES

MATCH #6: JULY 28, 2004
    MONTY BROWN VS JEFF HARDY

MATCH #7: AUGUST 18, 2004
    KID KASH VS AJ STYLES

MATCH #8: SEPTEMBER 18, 2004
    JEFF HARDY VS JEFF JARRETT

BONUS MATCHES:

April 28, 2004
    SABU VS ABYSS

June 9, 2004
    MONTY BROWN AND ABYSS VS AMERICA'S MOST WANTED

June 23, 2004
    AJ STYLES VS JEFF HARDY

July 7, 2004
    MONTY BROWN VS D'LO BROWN

• Advertisement

But Malenko was the greatest Cruiserweight of all time. It's not like Jericho (though he did dabble more in his early career) is known particularly for high flying. Plus the lack of a Kidman profile is strange.

Technically-minded he was very good; but I found him to be possibly the most boring wrestler ever to enter the ring. He's a charisma vacuum! His look, trunks, promos, even the way he applies moves, there's absolutely no showmanship. This isn't a best of the cruiserweights DVD; it's high-flyers (so having heavier wrestlers who also did aerial moves) if ya get me! I can understand his exclusion.....although WWE are pretty forgetful when it comes to who should make it on a DVD.

I'd probably consider Rey Mysterio to be the best cruiser-weight of all time. The guy's extremely versatile, smooth and it's extremely rare he botches. Eddie too, perhaps. People rate Ultimo Dragon but i haven't seen him wrestle much. Depending on the weight limit, you could add Benoit, also maybe KENNNNNNNNTAAAAAAAAAAA or Davey Richards; although they've only been impressing me for a few years.

Technically-minded he was very good; but I found him to be possibly the most boring wrestler ever to enter the ring. He's a charisma vacuum! His look, trunks, promos, even the way he applies moves, there's absolutely no showmanship.

Couldn't disagree with you more on Malenko, I just love watching him wrestle. He was so crisp and smooth and very, very rarely failed to deliver a great match (I only clicked it was flyers rather than Cruisers afterwards after I posted that by the way ).

Would there be enough footage for an entire set on Technicians especially without Benoit? It's why I'd question limiting this to exclusivly high flyers rather than Cruiserweights but I suppose Malenko is featured in a match. It is a very good, diverse DVD though in fairness.

There absolutely would, for sure,but so much of it would probably need to vintage stuff to make it worthwhile, It's questionable whether they consider it marketable.

Even without Benoit though, you'd be able to utilise some Jericho, Bret (and the Hart's in general), Michaels, Hennig, Tito Santana, throw in a Masked Superstar/Bob Backlund bout and some Gotch and Lou Thesz, Ted DiBiase (and Mike for that matter), some Flair/Fujinami, Savage, Steamboat, William Regal, Finlay, and some more AWA stuff with Nick Bockwinkel. Maybe even some HHH at his 2000 best, when he showed alot of variety, and one of Randy Orton's better mat-based efforts. There are tons.
    Not to mention Dean Malenko could command an interesting segment alone (despite having the personality of a brick), plus alongside Joe maybe with a malenkos/bulldogs match....
    It could work, if Kurt Angle returned- and you could probably stick a Daniel Bryan match in to bring it bang up to date.

Sorry, getting carried away. I would love this.

There absolutely would, for sure,but so much of it would probably need to vintage stuff to make it worthwhile, It's questionable whether they consider it marketable.

Even without Benoit though, you'd be able to utilise some Jericho, Bret (and the Hart's in general), Michaels, Hennig, Tito Santana, throw in a Masked Superstar/Bob Backlund bout and some Gotch and Lou Thesz, Ted DiBiase (and Mike for that matter), some Flair/Fujinami, Savage, Steamboat, William Regal, Finlay, and some more AWA stuff with Nick Bockwinkel. Maybe even some HHH at his 2000 best, when he showed alot of variety, and one of Randy Orton's better mat-based efforts. There are tons.
    Not to mention Dean Malenko could command an interesting segment alone (despite having the personality of a brick), plus alongside Joe maybe with a malenkos/bulldogs match....
    It could work, if Kurt Angle returned- and you could probably stick a Daniel Bryan match in to bring it bang up to date.

Sorry, getting carried away. I would love this.

That would actually be a hell of a DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd have thought Rey Mysterio was hands down the greatest cruiserweight of all time? Certainly Malenko seems to me an odd choice. A great great wrestler don't get me wrong, but not the greatest ever or anywhere near.

Liger would be the other one I can think of or the original Tiger Mask maybe.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'd have thought Rey Mysterio was hands down the greatest cruiserweight of all time? Certainly Malenko seems to me an odd choice. A great great wrestler don't get me wrong, but not the greatest ever or anywhere near.

I've always been a huge Malenko mark (though I did actually list Mysterio above Malenko in the Top Five wrestlers thread a few weeks ago).

11 of the matches on that DVD are avilable on other DVDs or are recent matches. 11 duds out of 26 matches in total I suppose ain't too bad. I haven't cross referenced any of the Rey Mysterio matches to see if they're on other DVDs...

Source:
    WWE is scheduled to release a "Top 50 Superstars of All-Time" DVD later this year on December 14th. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter added that the original list in the top 50 were said to be very "out there" when it comes to looking at the wrestling business as a whole. Many were wondering where guys like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair would be placed given their current involvement with TNA Wrestling.

Many were wondering where guys like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair would be placed

How about not on the list?! Sting might make the list as I imagine they'd be dying to get him in for a HoF appearance + DVD. Mick Foley will probably be left out too. It'll be a shite list. The clue is in the title. They're not "superstars", they are wrestlers.

What the hell is going to be on the DVD? 3discs, one disc with a crap documentary and some minor extras like promos and then say 20 matches or so? The same 20 matches they've been putting on DVDs like the Iron Man from Mania 12 or the many Rock/Austin matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Cena will have no.2, Austin no.1.
    I'm calling it :P

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd shamelessly show off part of my ecw dvd collection.
    It is only part as I'm putting things into moving boxes and a few others have already been shipped off. :)

zmij.jpg

CMpunked wrote: »
    Just thought I'd shamelessly show off part of my ecw dvd collection.
    It is only part as I'm putting things into moving boxes and a few others have already been shipped off. :)

164220520-70129c3049f0ae711d409bf7d0855482.4c954470-scaled.jpg

Nothing's coming up in that pic

Nothing's coming up in that pic

Sorry about that chief, last time I use twitpic! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Anyone know if i can get the Best of Raw seasons 1&2 in Dublin anywhere?4 discs of retro raw from the early days would keep me amused for a few evenings :D

It's going to be about €35 which is at least a tener more than if you were to buy it on the internet. That said, I also think it ain't in shops ie. HMV for another month maybe but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

It's going to be about €35 which is at least a tener more than if you were to buy it on the internet. That said, I also think it ain't in shops ie. HMV for another month maybe but I could be wrong.

Cheers i'll get it on Silvervision so :D Anyone bought it? Is it worth the cash?

It is what it is. For maybe 50quid you could buy DVDRs of a whole year's worth of Monday Night RAW.

RAW back then was shit. There were about a half dozen good matches which are already available on DVD. Shawn Michaels vs Marty Jannetty being one and Bret hart vs 123 Kid being the other.

There's loads of skits and promos missing from the set. So to answer your question : No it's not worth it. WWE Home Video Dept. drops the ball again.

51VEkOQS0CL._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Breaking-the-Code-Behind-the-Walls-of-Chris-Jericho.jpg

Just finished watching the new Chris Jericho DVD. It's brilliant. Jericholics probably know most of the story already but the guy has wrestled all over the world (Mexico, SMW, Germany, Japan, then ECW, WCW, WWF/E) and his love for all things wrestling wrestling and charisma really shine through. The main story is 1hr 45 minutes and there's hours of bonus footage, including Jericho's first ever match with Lance Storm. Fair bit on Fozzy aswell. His WCW stuff is fantastic, the conspiracy victim, goldberg and 1,004 holds stuff is really good.

There's interviews new and old (eg with Bischoff) but it's mostly set up by Jericho himself, who is just so easy to listen to. There's a good few clips of interviews in there too, including a great back and forth with the Rock when they steal each other's catchphrases. Only bad parts are that 1) There's no benoit in it (which is understandable) although he was a huge part of Jericho's life, and 2) there's copius blurring during the Attitude Era parts (which is again already expected, but it sucks)

OVERALL : Really recommend.

51VEkOQS0CL._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Breaking-the-Code-Behind-the-Walls-of-Chris-Jericho.jpg

Just finished watching the new Chris Jericho DVD. It's brilliant. Jericholics probably know most of the story already but the guy has wrestled all over the world (Mexico, SMW, Germany, Japan, then ECW, WCW, WWF/E) and his love for all things wrestling wrestling and charisma really shine through. The main story is 1hr 45 minutes and there's hours of bonus footage, including Jericho's first ever match with Lance Storm. Fair bit on Fozzy aswell. His WCW stuff is fantastic, the conspiracy victim, goldberg and 1,004 holds stuff is really good.

There's interviews new and old (eg with Bischoff) but it's mostly set up by Jericho himself, who is just so easy to listen to. There's a good few clips of interviews in there too, including a great back and forth with the Rock when they steal each other's catchphrases. Only bad parts are that 1) There's no benoit in it (which is understandable) although he was a huge part of Jericho's life, and 2) there's copius blurring during the Attitude Era parts (which is again already expected, but it sucks)

OVERALL : Really recommend.
    So basically the documentary is good but the DVD is cack cause the attitude matches are unwatchable and mots of the other matches are already available on DVD...

I'm beginning to get less understanding about the Benoit situation to be perfectly honest.

(nice wee review though)

• Advertisement

TBH the attitude era stuff is maybe 20 minutes of the 1:45 so it's not the worst; it just bugs me personally a lot. There match footage from practically everywhere (although sketchy with Mexico and Germany; Jericho took personal photos and we got to see 'em) :pac:

The highlight for me was his WCW stuff; which is all just fine. The worst segment for editing was Jericho and Rock's back and forth in his debut and backstage because there's tons of WWF signs EVERYWHERE and they keep saying WWF in the other vid.

You can check out the match listing and segments here. I'm not a guy who buys these DVDs ever since I'm a longtime wrestling fan (unless it's Bret or Mr Perfect etc) but i would recommend giving it a watch ;)

Advertisement