Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steorn again

Options
  • 04-07-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

rte.ie wrote:
    An Irish company will today reveal controversial technology that allegedly defies basic laws of physics to produce free power.

Steorn, which is based in Dublin, claims to have discovered a method of creating clean, constant energy, which it claims could end the global fuel crisis.

Called Orbo technology, it is based on the interaction of magnetic fields and has yet to be conclusively proven or declared a hoax.

AdvertisementLast year, Steorn placed an advertisement in the Economist magazine and challenged the world's scientists to test its claims.

The company picked 22 of the world's leading scientists from Europe and the US for the review, which started in January and is not expected to be completed before the end of the year.

Steorn is contractually obliged to publish whatever the scientists conclude in full.

Today the invention will go on public display for the first time with a live working demonstration to be streamed on the internet from 6pm tonight.

Steorn Chief Executive Sean McCarthy has said the demonstration will involve a 'very simplified version' of the technology and it will be open to the public from Thursday 5 July to Friday 13 July at the Kinetica Museum at Spitalfields Market in London.

Sceptics can view the device lifting a weight from four different camera angles online.

Mr McCarthy said the company had decided against using the technology to illuminate a light-bulb as the use of wires would attract further suspicion from a scientific community that has already dismissed the device.

The company stumbled upon the technology while working with wind turbines to power remote surveillance CCTV cameras for ATM.

Steorn claims the so-called free energy would be able to power anything from mobile phones to cars, providing a potential solution to the global energy crisis.

Mr McCarthy revealed that if the technology is validated in scientific tests, the company plans to licence it over the internet to any company who wants it for 'a very small fee'.
    [sleepys rule] "In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"

So what ya reckon, who will be watching the webcast at 6PM?
    engadget and wired as well as RTE carried this story today.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0704/steorn.html

Load of shíte, or will it revolutionise the way we power our lives?
    Apparently you can see this "perpetual motion device" (jesus I feel so filthy just saying the words) in action from 4 angles lifting a weight tonight on the web.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    who will be watching the webcast at 6PM?

I will defo be watching this, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It has to be a load of shíte, one way or the other.

I don't think a former marketing company in Dublin can debunk thousands of years of rock solid foolproof physics :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I'll certainly be watching this earth shattering new device in action.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I will defo be watching this, can't wait.

Me 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

there's already some discussion in the physics and chemisty forum but I'd like it to stay here for a bit to see what ppl have to say about it.

check my posts there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Even if it is a load of turd, let us hope that there is at least some nice female boobehs in the stream!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I'd like to watch it but I can't figure out where it's gonna be shown. The RTE website? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

There is nothing on the Steorm website about this. Its all a bit shady looking. They don't tell us who the Jurors are or what progress they have made. Apparently an updated video shows one of the companies senior executives in London smoking a fag. Would any professional non-crazy CEO allow a video like this to be released to the Web in the form of an update. I think not...lets see.

I for one hope to God its true but to me it sounds like the email you get telling you if you forward it on Steve Jobs will send you an IPOD. You know its ****e but you do it anyway (once).

if it is true it could be the solution for Africas powerless and could mean an end to wars fought over oil. The possibilities are endless. Its mind blowing really. Please let it be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I won't bother watching. I'm sure they could easily fake it, and I'm sure it actually working would be fairly unverifiable over a stream. I'll wait until I'm using one to power my house to believe it. Or at the very least til some actual physicists are telling me it's the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

From the archive, dated April 1st perhaps? I don't know, sounds highly ludicrous to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I smell bullshít! It's strange though that RTÉ are the only ones with this knowledge, not even Steorn have put up any notice on their site, Google shows nothing either. Quite strange for something that apparantley could be revolutionary! :confused:

Anywho, the news at 1 will be reporting it if it's happening

as i said over on the other forum, i think it may do what they say it will (life a mass) but i think the development involved to get enough power to run a car or power a house will see this theory disgarded.

magnets are the key component which is interesting as magnets are beginning to be looked into by many in the science community as a source of free energy so they may yet be onto something.

i would love to see them prove everybody wrong and it's be great for an irish company to come up with something really useful like this!

ill be watching anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I only post it here, as I read about it in the morning papers.
    Lots of sites/news outlets recieved the press release from Steorn yesterday evening, not just RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I would watch it but I'll be busy watching Die Hard.

i have a feeling they'll be equally as disappointing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Reminds me of the guy who said he discovered nuclear fusion in a bathtub.

5 euro says it fake, anyone wanna take me up on that bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Caliden wrote:

I will think i owe you a fiver anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

judas101 wrote:
    i have a feeling they'll be equally as disappointing ;)

How fitting your name is Judas.

Get out.

The amount of free energy scams based on magnets is so vast that worldwide patents based on these devices are refused point blank.

They are either scammers or they have overlooked experimental error. Either way they have already made Ireland the laughing stock of science.

Caliden wrote:

fake meaning what exactly?

it wont lift it? no power generation?

i predict it'll lift the mass as they say but will not prove its free enrgy.

perhaps a glorified electromagnet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

"The end is nigh..... the end of low prices that is!"

Publicity stunt. I'd say they're going to start pushing themselves as a PR company and using this to gain attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ha ha, same as me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cornbb wrote:
    I don't think a former marketing company in Dublin can debunk thousands of years of rock solid foolproof physics :rolleyes:
    The only thing is that those principles aren't thousands of years old, a few hundred at best. So it's likely enough that someone can stumble onto something that our own laws overlooked.

However, I think I explained this before when this was posted way back. I don't believe that they necessarily have "free energy" in the perpetual motion sense. IIRC, the company themselves claimed that the device didn't contravene the laws of thermodynamics.

There are tonnes of energy sources on the planet that while not necessarily requiring any input or energy loss from our POV, don't steps on the laws of physics. Stuff like wind energy, wave energy, geothermal, etc, are all forms of "free energy", in that the only effort required on our part is to build the items to harness it. It's inexhaustable, generates relatively little waste and doesn't require the gathering of fuel to create it.

Our only problem thus far is harnessing these things hasn't proven overly efficient. We're just not that good at it. It's relatively wasteful to produce the devices to obtain the energy, when compared to oil, gas and nuclear energies. However, if we stumbled upon a way to convert these energies in an efficient manner, we'd be laughing.

While I'll remain skeptical, I don't think that their claims are overly "out there", they're certainly going to great lengths to prove this.

thrill wrote:

Thats a fake. Somone put that video up there on feburary with that name.

Its nothing to do with Steorn.

^^ what was that supposed to prove?

that was just a simple loading device wasnt it?

*sigh*

EDIT: Fake? oh thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

thrill wrote:

What the hell was perpetual about that?

Sofaspud wrote:
    What the hell was perpetual about that?

Thats what i was wondering as well. Seems to be a fake though. I'm still hopeful that they really have come up with something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I hope that it turns out to be real but the odd way they are acting suggests otherwise. Could they not have let a load of scientists mess take a look at it and relate their findings to the scientific community.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    The only thing is that those principles aren't thousands of years old, a few hundred at best. So it's likely enough that someone can stumble onto something that our own laws overlooked.
    *sigh*

So one of the most proven laws in physics has been overlooked? So each law and theory which have been proven on the basis of this, and there are a lot of them, are technically incorrect too?

Each law that has been proven and used test the original laws is rubbish too?

The only thing that has been overlooked is Steorns crackpot machine. They are either scammers or idiots. But whatever the outcome there is no such thing as creating energy.
    Ring any college's department of Physics and ask them about Steorn's invention. Make your judgement on how long they continue laughing.

Advertisement