Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Some of ye do b on this really late at nite ha. Just about the inital again . Psni so the test is marked on your result pass/fail....like its not as if they compare every1 s result and the best pass...its just what you get youreslf yea?

overthere wrote:
    Just passed my IST have my assessment in november!!

well done overthere.

how long were you waiting for results? did you think you did bad in any parts of the test after you did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 overthere

Hey mate I waited just over two weeks for my results!, I found part c the hardest.
    PSNI do you know when the intakes will be for this recruitment drive?, I would imagine next January onwards or before?

Thanks

overthere wrote:
    Hey mate I waited just over two weeks for my results!, I found part c the hardest.
    PSNI do you know when the intakes will be for this recruitment drive?, I would imagine next January onwards or before?

Thanks

Did u get all of part c done? I got 22 out of the 30 really messed up in that part. This is going to b a long 2-3wks:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

They don't compare scores with any other candidates. They have a pass mark, and if you get the pass mark or above, you progress to the next stage.
    Celtic07 wrote:
    Some of ye do b on this really late at nite ha. Just about the inital again . Psni so the test is marked on your result pass/fail....like its not as if they compare every1 s result and the best pass...its just what you get youreslf yea?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It'll be about spring next year. In your case, you'll have to wait for the Gardai to vet you and return their findings. Expect to wait around a year from the date on your application letter to invitation to attend for training (if you get that far!).
    overthere wrote:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 overthere

It will be the psni vetting me mate as im from sunny co.antrim, Medicals should be jan/feb?, hopefully as I can only take 1 week off at the start of feb. ( If I pass the assessment in November.

Ah well you're sorted then. Just allow extra time over Christmas for vetting and you should be hearing something within 6-8 months of your initial application date. Best of luck for November!
    overthere wrote:
    It will be the psni vetting me mate as im from sunny co.antrim, Medicals should be jan/feb?, hopefully as I can only take 1 week off at the start of feb. ( If I pass the assessment in November.

Must say was armagh the other day its a very small and strange city....hope no1 takes offence to that :D

psni wrote:
    They don't compare scores with any other candidates. They have a pass mark, and if you get the pass mark or above, you progress to the next stage.

That makes me feel a bit better so, thanks psni. That vetting procedure drags out for us alrite!!!!!!!! Is that a year from the time you apllyed for the inial in the first place so yes?

• Advertisement

A year from the time I sat my initial until the time I got the letter inviting me to attend for training.
    Celtic07 wrote:
    That makes me feel a bit better so, thanks psni. That vetting procedure drags out for us alrite!!!!!!!! Is that a year from the time you apllyed for the inial in the first place so yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

out of the people that pass at interview stage how many get to start training / if you pass interview and background is clean is a garuntee that you will be let in to start ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 peza999

Celtic07 wrote:

i applied september 2006 and i start october

Nope. From the assessment centre scores, they take the top 120 highest scoring applicants from a Roman Catholic background and offer them training. Then they take the top 120 who are not from a Roman Catholic background. 240 get through from each campaign.

More on the 50/50 rule here:

http://www.nipolicingboard.org.uk/index/faqs/recruitment.htm
    johnnycash wrote:
    out of the people that pass at interview stage how many get to start training / if you pass interview and background is clean is a garuntee that you will be let in to start ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Interesting thread.

Whats the religious split currently in the PSNI....?And will they continue with the positive discrimination on till its 50/50...?

Yeah it's kind of taken on a life of it's own hasn't it?

The current split is 22.58% perceived Roman Catholic with 74.9% perceived Protestant.

Source is here

I don't think anyone in the entire organisation can answer your question about the 50/50 thing at this point in time. All we know is it's provided for in law, and will continue to be until highly paid people somewhere decide it's not necessary anymore.

So when is YOUR initial Dub13? :D
    Dub13 wrote:
    Interesting thread.

Whats the religious split currently in the PSNI....?And will they continue with the positive discrimination on till its 50/50...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

psni wrote:
    So when is YOUR initial Dub13? :D

LOL...if I could take the pay cut I could.

I went through a similar process for the British Army back in the late 90s,its interesting to compare the difference obviously times are different these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I have my initial tomorrow at 9.30am. Just wondering what the traffic is like that time of the morning near the Burlington. Coming up from Waterford, planning to leave at around 6am - will that be enough time to get there comfortably early? What is the parking like at the hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

just make sure you hit dublin border by 7.15 or you are looking at traffic hell all the way into town. parking is grand in hotel

Missed the test... got lost in Dublin traffic and ended up in the city centre, then when I finally got to the Ballsbridge area I couldn't even find the hotel. Ended up just driving home!

Disappointed, but not that cut up about it. Was in two minds whether I really wanted to apply anyway so I guess my mind has been made up for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CelticTiger7

Hi Everyone i have been following this thread for a while now. I did the Initial Selection Test in Armagh on Monday and got a letter today telling me i am through to the next stage. Has anyone any tips for the Assessment center? thanks

Hi Everyone i have been following this thread for a while now. I did the Initial Selection Test in Armagh on Monday and got a letter today telling me i am through to the next stage. Has anyone any tips for the Assessment center? thanks[/QU

hey tiger.

i did it on mon in armagh to. u got post already saying you got it thats very quick.....i heard nothing yet

Celtic07 wrote:
    Hi Everyone i have been following this thread for a while now. I did the Initial Selection Test in Armagh on Monday and got a letter today telling me i am through to the next stage. Has anyone any tips for the Assessment center? thanks[/QU

hey tiger.

i did it on mon in armagh to. u got post already saying you got it thats very quick.....i heard nothing yet

Hey Celtic07 yeah i thought it was very quick myself i was a bit suprised when i got it this morning. Your from the south though so it might take a day longer for you to get yours. What did you think of the Initial Selection Test? i didnt think i had passed i thought the last part was very hard.

Celtic07 wrote:

Hey Celtic07 yeah i thought it was very quick myself i was a bit suprised when i got it this morning. Your from the south though so it might take a day longer for you to get yours. What did you think of the Initial Selection Test? i didnt think i had passed i thought the last part was very hard.

I felt the exact same man. part a was easy and b was average. Didnt like part c at all. Well done on passing......hope i do to :confused:

Celtic07 wrote:

I felt the exact same man. part a was easy and b was average. Didnt like part c at all. Well done on passing......hope i do to :confused:

Thanks. I hope you pass too. But even if you dont you can always try again next time thats what i did. i took the intial last year and didnt pass it. But i really wanted to be a police officer so i said i was going to keep trying. I hope i pass the assessment but if i dont at least i will have the experience of it and it will be easier if i have to do it again.

Does anyone know if the initial selection test is conducted anywhere else in the Republic besides Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddymcl06

hey just stumbled onto this site by accident...well anyways this has been a very intresting thread if i do say so
    i had my inital test a couple of weeks ago n thought it was easy enough the 3rd part was the only part u had 2 think in lol

i have 1 question for psni

see in the assessment center do u get told about the scenairo b4 u go in r is it just thrown onto of u as soon as u step in the room??

cheers in advance

n good luck 2 those still waiting on there results!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jim2001

Hi mate for the assessment you will go into a prep room with a sheet of paper in front of you, they will then tell you too turn over and you have 5 mins to read and take note of things.

Then you will move too the role play room, it begins as soon as you enter the room and you have 5 mins to come up with a solution.

Hope that helps but Im sure PSNI would know more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Hey all, done my initial at the Burlington this morning, must say it was tricky, Part A was handy Part B was handyish and Part C was hard, mind you i answered most of the questions so i can only remain optimistic! Gud'luck with those due to get results!

• Advertisement

Celtic07 wrote:

Thanks. I hope you pass too. But even if you dont you can always try again next time thats what i did. i took the intial last year and didnt pass it. But i really wanted to be a police officer so i said i was going to keep trying. I hope i pass the assessment but if i dont at least i will have the experience of it and it will be easier if i have to do it again.

Did you get all the qusetions in part c done? When do you have your assesment?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement