Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 peza999

Celtic07 wrote:
    hey Peza

did u get called back? the examples they give you on the net are similar so yes?

I was waiting for the results of campaign 12 and applied for campaign 13 just incase i didn't get through 12. Is that what you mean by 'getting called back'?

The examples on the net are similair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

peza999 wrote:
    I was waiting for the results of campaign 12 and applied for campaign 13 just incase i didn't get through 12. Is that what you mean by 'getting called back'?

The examples on the net are similair.

oh rite i meant if it was your first time applyling and getting called back for the assesment centre....but you obviously are in it already

Cheers for the info in the private msg peza just saw it now. Thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

hi, new to this so here goes

got results of initial few days ago and have to go to assessment centre in a few weeks. very quickly, are there any rules on where you may be based, as in can you serve in the area you live in or do you have to commute long journeys no matter what

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi justaquestion.

When you are in training in week 14 or thereabouts, you are given a form to fill in saying where you would like to be stationed. You put in your choices from 1-4 in order of preference. There is space down the bottom of the form for you to mention places where you cannot be stationed, and you must state the reason, e.g., personal security, known in the area, and so on.

Serving in the area you live in is not recommended for security reasons. Most people I know only live 8 or 9 miles away from where they are stationed.

got results of initial few days ago and have to go to assessment centre in a few weeks. very quickly, are there any rules on where you may be based, as in can you serve in the area you live in or do you have to commute long journeys no matter what

• Advertisement

hey justaquestion

Fareplay on getting by the intial. i have it tomoro. Any tips? :D

psni wrote:
    Hi justaquestion.

When you are in training in week 14 or thereabouts, you are given a form to fill in saying where you would like to be stationed. You put in your choices from 1-4 in order of preference. There is space down the bottom of the form for you to mention places where you cannot be stationed, and you must state the reason, e.g., personal security, known in the area, and so on.

Serving in the area you live in is not recommended for security reasons. Most people I know only live 8 or 9 miles away from where they are stationed.

Hey psni. Where are the 4 stations that are on the form? im not from the north so i dont have a clue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The form is blank. You are the one who writes down, in order of preference 1-4, which DCUs you would like to be assigned to. This happens half way through the course so you'll get plenty of time to figure out where the different areas are and where you would like. You only find out after you pass your exams which one you've got.

Don't worry about not being from the North. I'm from Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭justaquestion

Celtic07,
    You Asked Me If I Had Any Tips For Initial.
    To Be Honest, I Didnt Even See The Practise Test. I Simply Have The Belief That I Am Good Enough To Be A Police Officer. I Obviously Have The Required Intelligence, Its Now Just A Matter Of Proving My Skills. My Assessment Is On 16th October Hilton Hotel In Templepatrick. Maybe Ill See You There. As Long As You Believe You Are Good Enough, You Should Be Fine

Celtic07,
    To Be Honest, I Didnt Even See The Practise Test. I Simply Have The Belief That I Am Good Enough To Be A Police Officer. I Obviously Have The Required Intelligence, Its Now Just A Matter Of Proving My Skills. My Assessment Is On 16th October Hilton Hotel In Templepatrick. Maybe Ill See You There. As Long As You Believe You Are Good Enough, You Should Be Fine

yea hopefully. will let you know how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Celtic07,

Hey Justaquestion, Congrats on passing the Initial:D! I have mine on friday, trying to practice but well see how it goes, were you long waiting for the results?

Jay:)

I Love The Capital Letter For Each Word!
    Celtic07,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

hey hey

i passed the apptitude.interview in october up north.

got my letter last wednesday but was away in spain so only opened it last night.

now for the hard part !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 overthere

Hi Im new here.

PSNI you seem to be the one in the know so if you could help me it would be great!

Im from co.antrim and a student officer for a english force, but due to new:eek: family committments Im going to have too move back home with my finance.

I applied for the current campaign and waiting for the IST results, If I am successful will I have too recomplete the whole training program or the 5 week transfer course?. What are the requirements too do just the 5 weeks?.

If I get in, completing the whole training again would be fine with me, just wanted too know the score.

Thanks for your help.

Yes you'll have to start all over again I'm afraid. In order to transfer, you have to pass out AND complete your probationary period successfully. Best of luck with the results!
    overthere wrote:
    Hi Im new here.

PSNI you seem to be the one in the know so if you could help me it would be great!

Im from co.antrim and a student officer for a english force, but due to new family committments Im going to have too move back home with my finance.

I applied for the current campaign and waiting for the IST results, If I am successful will I have too recomplete the whole training program or the 5 week transfer course?. What are the requirements too do just the 5 weeks?.

If I get in, completing the whole training again would be fine with me, just wanted too know the score.

Thanks for your help.

Yes you'll have to start all over again I'm afraid. In order to transfer, you have to pass out AND complete your probationary period successfully. Best of luck with the results!
    overthere wrote:
    Hi Im new here.

Im from co.antrim and a student officer for a english force, but due to new family committments Im going to have too move back home with my finance.

Thanks for your help.

johnnycash wrote:
    hey hey

i passed the apptitude.interview in october up north.

got my letter last wednesday but was away in spain so only opened it last night.

now for the hard part !!

well done johnny

how did you feel after you did your inital test? I did mine 2day was very happy with part a i thought part b was ok but wasnt that happy with part c due to questions being tricky but time mainly. Did u finish all questions in your inital etc can u rem?

Also forgot to say........there was like only about thirty people at the inital today is that normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

Celtic07 wrote:
    Also forgot to say........there was like only about thirty people at the inital today is that normal?

was only about 20 doing the test with me

part a ; i only missed 2 i reckon

part b ; did 3/4 of questions and got most of what i did right id say

part c ; all done 90% correct id say

above is all with the benefit of hindsight.....now see below

was shaky and unsure about passing ,was sure i failed when i came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

Hi PSNI, two quick questions, I feel that I did pretty badly at the initial, but still managed to be called for the assessment in October. Will my poor marks in the initial count towards my final score or is it just the assessment result that matters in the final cut? And what can you tell me about the HPD scheme? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Perfectly normal. Don't forget they do them twice a day at various places around the island.
    Celtic07 wrote:

Passing the initial just means you're through to the next stage. They don't take your score into account. It's a pass/fail test.

Regarding the HPDS, you won't be eligible to apply until you have attested as a Constable, and served out your probationary period of 2 years. After that, you can apply and rocket up the ranks if you have management skills or qualifications that are in short supply but in high demand.

Best of luck with the assessment centre!
    Fiacmar wrote:
    Hi PSNI, two quick questions, I feel that I did pretty badly at the initial, but still managed to be called for the assessment in October. Will my poor marks in the initial count towards my final score or is it just the assessment result that matters in the final cut? And what can you tell me about the HPD scheme? Thanks.

Fantastic, thanks for the quick reply. Just one more question if you don't mind... I'm currently doing a degree, if I was to be successful in my application is it possible to defer recruitment until the degree is completed? Thanks again

It depends on how long we're talking about. You can defer one or two intakes, but not for years on end. Each case is dealt with on its own merits by the recruitment branch so you'd have to work something out with them if and when that time comes.

Great, thanks. Sure, who needs a degree, at this stage I'd probably be happy to do well in the assessment. One more and shant bother you any further, if thats ok? There's been a lot of talk about the change of the shift pattern, is the four on, four off gone forever, if so how has that changed the job, and is there anywhere I can find info on the new shift pattern? Probably being a bit premature, but what the hell... And thanks so much again.

Yes the 12 hour shift patterns are no more. The 8 hour shift patterns are now in play but the job is still the same. The good thing is the days fly past. The bad thing is there's more of them! You can't find official information on the new shift patterns anywhere. Each DCU has different ways of managing the 8 hour shifts according to operational need, so it's impossible to give you set hours. Keep the questions coming. That's what the thread is for!
    Fiacmar wrote:
    Great, thanks. Sure, who needs a degree, at this stage I'd probably be happy to do well in the assessment. One more and shant bother you any further, if thats ok? There's been a lot of talk about the change of the shift pattern, is the four on, four off gone forever, if so how has that changed the job, and is there anywhere I can find info on the new shift pattern? Probably being a bit premature, but what the hell... And thanks so much again.

Right so :D You said previously that you'd hade very little trouble with the public because of your accent, I'm from Dublin too, just curious, is the same true of your colleagues, and fellow students through training? Are there opportunities within the PSNI for overseas secondment, the UN etc. like there are within other forces? The PSNI's experience (ethnic tension, paramilitaries etc.) would seem to make them ideally qualified.

Meant sectarian tension there, but useful in areas of ethnic tension...

Never a peep about the accent, background or anything remotely like it. The most I've ever gotten was from fellow Dubs in the job, and that was a good ol' Northside/Southside back-and-forth slagging off. There are people from the Nationalist community in the job and they would be highly offended if they heard anyone slagging me off for the accent or where I'm from, and would make it known very quickly.

It might happen in a very friendly way though. It's hilarious to hear someone from Ballymena trying to say "What's the craic" in an Irish accent, in the same way they find it funny when I tell them all about my pahhr shahhr.

Secondment opportunities arise all the time, but you need to be out of your probation to apply. I'm not so sure about UN secondments, but definitely other police forces.
    Fiacmar wrote:
    Right so :D You said previously that you'd hade very little trouble with the public because of your accent, I'm from Dublin too, just curious, is the same true of your colleagues, and fellow students through training? Are there opportunities within the PSNI for overseas secondment, the UN etc. like there are within other forces? The PSNI's experience (ethnic tension, paramilitaries etc.) would seem to make them ideally qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 overthere

Just passed my IST have my assessment in november!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement