Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Zambia232 wrote:
    Lads try the Met in london ...

You can always transfer later in life to other UK forces

Whats the option try the PSNI recruitment again and again or try the met get two years experience and transfer.

The question you have to ask your self is do you want to be a policeman or not.

Hey zambia
    were u in the met. where is there information on this force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Celtic07 wrote:
    Hey zambia
    were u in the met. where is there information on this force?

The Metropoltan Police , No not in them but last I heard they where the largest recruiter.

http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jim2001

Hey its all gone quiet in here!!!!!

No-one any updates on the recruitment campaign?, done my assessment last Monday just waiting on the results, feel like I done o.k.

Anyone else?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

jim2001 wrote:
    Hey its all gone quiet in here!!!!!

No-one any updates on the recruitment campaign?, done my assessment last Monday just waiting on the results, feel like I done o.k.

Anyone else?????

did you do the role play assesment? what was it like?
    i have mine in november

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Hi!

I did my initial test on the 14th (was surprised at only 14 people all in at the 9.30 sitting - and only one other girl - thought there would be more...) and now I've the assessment on Weds. I spend a lot of time in Belfast visiting friends, so would be an interesting move, esp for a Cork girl :-)

Not going to stress about the assessment roleplays - my months on the streets as a Reserve should come in handy I hope! Would recommend anyone to join up with them if you want some work experience - you do learn a lot. And you learn a lot about general social science as well - if there are other areas of work you're interested in, outside of policing.

L

• Advertisement

Hi connor123 yea I did the Roleplay assessment, I enjoyed it to be honest. Just be calm and clear in it and you will be fine. Just waiting for the results now.

Good luck lisinsooz for wednesday, hope it goes well for you. Are you a reserve for the Garda or PSNI part time?

jim2001 wrote:
    Good luck lisinsooz for wednesday, hope it goes well for you. Are you a reserve for the Garda or PSNI part time?

Thanks Jim!
    Reserve Garda!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

lisnsooz wrote:
    Thanks Jim!
    Reserve Garda!

Not a bad idea at all. There are quite a few GR out there testing the water to see if a career in policing is for them, without the drawback of having to give up full time jobs. The GR men and women I've met all seem to be fairly down-to-earth people... just what we need up here!

Hi Lisnsooz, how did you get on at the assessment?.

Near two weeks and still no word for me.

Hey Jim,
    I thought it was OK, but tough - sure you haven't a clue really do you, if you were doing well or going down the swanny?

And I didn't seem to be completing my 5 min spiels within the 5 mins, like some of the others were. We did some of these with the GRs during training, and with them, there were certain things you had to say/offer before the actor backed down and went with you. So I was frantically offering as much as I could to see what would work. But in a calm, collected, problem-solving way tho...LOL. Finally, 4 years of Roches Stores electrical dept customer service being put to good use!

Just wait and see I guess. Do send me a PM if you hear anymore BTW - I'm the only one I know who's doing this!

Lis

• Advertisement

Will do, have heard nothing as of yet, fingers crossed for both of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

lisnsooz wrote:
    Hey Jim,
    I thought it was OK, but tough - sure you haven't a clue really do you, if you were doing well or going down the swanny?

And I didn't seem to be completing my 5 min spiels within the 5 mins, like some of the others were. We did some of these with the GRs during training, and with them, there were certain things you had to say/offer before the actor backed down and went with you. So I was frantically offering as much as I could to see what would work. But in a calm, collected, problem-solving way tho...LOL. Finally, 4 years of Roches Stores electrical dept customer service being put to good use!

Just wait and see I guess. Do send me a PM if you hear anymore BTW - I'm the only one I know who's doing this!

Lis
    hi there could u elaborate more on what u had to do to give people a general idea on what happened when u had your phase 2 assesment

paul666 wrote:
    hi there could u elaborate more on what u had to do to give people a general idea on what happened when u had your phase 2 assesment

Hey Paul,
    Yep - there's a written, 3 roleplays and an interview (at least - it was for me - not sure how often they change that method). You're given a scenario at the start (ie - mine was: you're in hotel customer service, here's what your day-to-day tasks entail and lotsa detail about the hotel etc.)

Then the written was: here are 4 crises, how do you deal with them (like - water shortage in local area; buses go missing when due to collect guests).

Roleplays - given three scenarios and then you go in and meet the actor for each scenario and ride out the storm for 5 mins each time and hope that they are smiling at the end!

Interview - you meet two of the assessment people and they give you 3 or 4 scenarios and you tell them how you would sort out the situation (can only remem one - guest accused of stealing from the mini bar - what do you do?).

I'm assuming they've a few scenarios up their sleeves - hence lack of concrete detail as chances are you will probably get a different story. The important thing is to keep cool and I would advise learning to write clearly under pressure :) Mine was illegible!

They are testing you on the competencies (like - in the interview, I was told that I would be marked for things like customer service, problem solving, etc - so I just kept providing solutions to the problems while stressing to lessen the inconvenience to the guest. Mostly - it's common sense I guess - but if you remember what you're being marked on, it probably helps!

Also - you're not expected to know anything about the work situation (hotels in my case) so I guess it's just the hope that you're not panicking and getting flustered. I didn't even look at the clock in my roleplays as I knew it would fluster me, and just kept trying to come up with more and more outrageous solutions...LOL

Hope that helps somewhat - sorry for vagueness.....
    Lis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 peza999

Hi
    Is anyone starting on Sunday 21st October ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

thanks lisnsooz that was informative. it sounds like hard work.

Just got word today.................................PASSED the assessment, intakes to start in Jan 08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 peza999

Well done Jim

Hey Jim!
    Brilliant - maybe I can expect to hear one way or other in the next couple weeks if you did yours shortly before mine.
    Intake in Jan eh?! Hope the background clearance goes well for ya! Well done!!!
    Lis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,683 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

jim2001 wrote: »
    Just got word today.................................PASSED the assessment, intakes to start in Jan 08.

Are you saying you've been invited to attend for training in January '08 without having attended a medical yet? And what about vetting?

No, im saying they hope to start the intakes Jan onwards, for those successful through all the stages and picked from the merit pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jerrry3

Hi,

I have just received word that I was successful in the assessment and have my medical in 2 weeks in Belfast. My only concern is that I am asthmatic and currently prescribed medication for this. My asthma is under control and I am very fit - I run 20+ miles per week and have been running for a number of years. Unfortunately I have a 2 hr drive from Derry/Londonderry to the medical. I'm not sure if I should even attend if I'm asthmatic - i dont want a wasted journey and given the fact that the medical forms tha the recruitment agency send are very detailed.

Does anyone know if you can fail the medical if you're asthmatic - even though Im physically extremely fit ?

Thanks

Hi mate well done on passing the Assessment centre.

Im not sure on the asthma thou, does it say anything on selectnipolice.org about it?.

Maybe PSNI would know as he has been through it all?

Good luck in belfast!

Thanx Jim2001, congrads yourself on passing the assessment. Unfortunately I dont hold out much hope regarding the asthma thing. Even though Im physically in good condition, i think once the medical staff read 'asthma' in the questionaire - i think the alarm bells will start to ring. Cant find much out on-line in relation to asthma and the psni. Although I know some regional uk police forces using the police medical will fail you if you have a certain illness and take consistant medication. However it seems that for the London Met, applicants with asthma may still be able to get through.

Yes you can do the medical even though you have asthma. I know of a few people in the job who have it and it's not a problem, especially if you are a runner. There would be problems if you didn't declare it, and it was found out later that you had a condition you didn't declare, but I don't see it being a problem.
    jerrry3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just received word that I was successful in the assessment and have my medical in 2 weeks in Belfast. My only concern is that I am asthmatic and currently prescribed medication for this. My asthma is under control and I am very fit - I run 20+ miles per week and have been running for a number of years. Unfortunately I have a 2 hr drive from Derry/Londonderry to the medical. I'm not sure if I should even attend if I'm asthmatic - i dont want a wasted journey and given the fact that the medical forms tha the recruitment agency send are very detailed.

Does anyone know if you can fail the medical if you're asthmatic - even though Im physically extremely fit ?

Thanks

Hey Jim,

I passed too! Got letter today - can't believe it.

Now must try and remember all those addresses...
    Lis

Ok, cheers P.s.n.i , your feedback is must appreciated. I feel slightly more at ease after that. Thanks also for your help in general, I've been reading this thread for quite a while (although only registered recently)and your comments are always very positive and constructive.
    Thanks again.

Congradulations Lisnsooz bet you are pleased!. Just sent my vetting forms of today, have you got your date for the medical yet?.

Thank you and you're welcome. Don't hesitate to drop me a PM or ask a question on thread if you need to.
    jerrry3 wrote: »
    Ok, cheers P.s.n.i , your feedback is must appreciated. I feel slightly more at ease after that. Thanks also for your help in general, I've been reading this thread for quite a while (although only registered recently)and your comments are always very positive and constructive.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Joe4815162342

Hey,

how long did you guys have to wait for a reply? Did the AC over 3 weeks ago and still no word back. The man that was talking to us said it would be about 1-2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Hi Joe,

I heard back within 2 weeks - but it's taken longer and shorter for others from what I've been hearing so that might not mean anything. When I did it they said it would take up to 6 weeks. Medicals seem to be running at the moment though (have mine this Friday). Might be worth giving Consensia a shout to check perhaps?

Lis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement