Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 burnz1987

Hey PSNI I have got my Initial Test on the 31st of August . Was just wondering what the story is with the trainning , can you leave at any stage IF you realise that the PSNI is not for you or do you have to give a certain amount of commitment ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

burnz1987 wrote:
    Hey PSNI I have got my Initial Test on the 31st of August . Was just wondering what the story is with the trainning , can you leave at any stage IF you realise that the PSNI is not for you or do you have to give a certain amount of commitment ???

You can just walk away at any time if it's not for you. Keep in mind that the training environment is completely different from the 'real world'. Best of luck with the initial.

To Future15: Yes. Formal education is a requirement to join the PSNI. I think you may have intended to ask a different question but the words came out wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Future15

Sorry sir,

What I ment to stay was, for example what GCSE's are required?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Future15 wrote:
    Sorry sir,

What I ment to stay was, for example what GCSE's are required?

They don't base their decision on stuff like that. It becomes apparent how smart you are/aren't in the initial selection test, and then what you're like as a person in the assessment centre. I haven't met anyone yet who didn't sit and pass GCSE and A Level exams, but there are no requirements to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Future15

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

hey Psni. I have my inital test the start of sp in armagh. im from the south of ireland and would love to get in. Jus a few quick questions. Have u used your gun much on the street? Does the vetting procedure take that long for all cases in the republic or where u just unlucky? Am also applying to the gardai this yr but their process takes so long its a joke:mad: :mad: oh yea and finally their good guinness in the north? ha :D
    Sound man for and information .Gud luk

Hi Celtic07.

Haven't used the gun at all and hope never to.

Vetting procedure for us Southerners takes a while. Every time I called, they told me that the Gardai simply hadn't gotten around to it. Now that I'm on the inside, I can more or less guarantee you they were telling the truth. The problem wasn't me, it was Garda apathy, and it still seems to be the case.

In my opinion, you can't ever beat a Dublin pint! The Guinness definitely doesn't taste the same up here.

Let's know how you get on at the initial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 peza999

Hello all, be gentle i'm new to the forum.

I have just been accepted for the PSNI and wanted to know of any tips for the training centre. I'm transfering from the mainland so have been through it before.
    Has the shift pattern changed yet ? Or can someone advise what it is changing to.

Thanks

Thanks Psni
    yea will let you know how it goes. Hopefully it wont be to bad :confused:

oh yea forgot to say peza999 would love to b in your shoes gettin in. Fair ****s to ya :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Rihanna

peza999 wrote:
    Hello all, be gentle i'm new to the forum.

I have just been accepted for the PSNI and wanted to know of any tips for the training centre. I'm transfering from the mainland so have been through it before.
    Has the shift pattern changed yet ? Or can someone advise what it is changing to.

Thanks

are you transferring from mainland uk or eire. what has made you change?

I am transfering from mainland UK.
    My wife is from Northern Ireland and she wanted to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

anybody doing the test on wednesday in dublin?

by the way, last year a met a scouser cop who said that there are loads of english police trying to get into the psni as the pay and promotions are better.
    you cant transfer in direct unless you are a sgt. however you can transfer direct out in the other way regardless of rank....true?

Nope mine aint ill the 10th of sep in armagh. my own fault for applying late so nuthin i can do :(

hey Psni again

Just about the eye test agin. On the medical standards on the psni website. it has

6/12 unaided in each eye

6/6 unaided in one eye and 6/18 or better unaided in the other eye or

6/18 or better corrrectable to 6/12 or better in each eye using spectacles or contacts.

I know i definlty pass the 3rd 1 as i have to wear glasses when driving. But do you have to pass somethin without aidd vision to?

I know in the gardai you must pass 6/9 or 6/12 unaided to pass it which im not sure i am which is a pain in the arse

Anyway your answer is greatly appreciated.
    :D

Yes Celtic you do have to pass a sight test with unaided vision.
    I wear contact lenses and i had to take them out for part of the sight test.

Hope this helps.

Pezza.

Do you have to just have 6/18 thou without contacts/glasses do you know whichit has in the form that can be correctable to 6/12.

let me know if u know
    Cheers :D

so i did my selection test on Monday, part 1 & 2 is simple not a bother but part 3, its not easy. hope i did well enough in 1&2 to compensate for my stupidity in part 3. does any one know if you fail one part out of the 3 does that fail you for the whole exam? nothing can prepare you for part 3 in my opinion you either have the head for it or you don't, and i feel the practice questions for part 3 were not a good indication of what lay ahead in the real exam, Looks like its going to be the siochana for me

Rihanna wrote:
    so i did my selection test on Monday, part 1 & 2 is simple not a bother but part 3, its not easy. hope i did well enough in 1&2 to compensate for my stupidity in part 3. does any one know if you fail one part out of the 3 does that fail you for the whole exam? nothing can prepare you for part 3 in my opinion you either have the head for it or you don't, and i feel the practice questions for part 3 were not a good indication of what lay ahead in the real exam, Looks like its going to be the siochana for me

ditto, part 3 is tough,makes me wonder,are the psni guys smarter than the garda over all?

lucky yu rihanna having the choice of either force,wish i fell under that umbrella ella ella ay ay ella ella (sorry,was dying to type that)

johnnycash wrote:
    ditto, part 3 is tough,makes me wonder,are the psni guys smarter than the garda over all?

lucky yu rihanna having the choice of either force,wish i fell under that umbrella ella ella ay ay ella ella (sorry,was dying to type that)

cheers for that mr johnny cash. my heart lies with the siochana as its what i have always aspired to be and its what i know, but i feel the psni is a better equipt force, ok their training has come under some debate recently but i think they are a more professionally run force, an garda siochana could learn from the police force in northern ireland, all you have to do is go to the marches and bloody sunday parades and see the way the psni network with the people up their, even watch street wars on sky, its a real eye opener as to what the job really involves.

i was amazed at the variety of people that were taking the selection test, im in my mid twenties and felt extremely young.

i thought the way they read out the 1st part was a bit amature and the lady reading them out made mistakes and had to repeat some of the info, it was a bit of a distraction and a tad frustrating especially when your under pressure and a bit stressed.

johnny i have followed your progress through the gardai recruitment and i honestly hope you get the psni, you have shown determination and dedication right through the whole process, so hang on in there and remember what doesnt kill you will only make you stronger ;)

• Advertisement

Rihanna wrote:
    cheers for that mr johnny cash. my heart lies with the siochana as its what i have always aspired to be and its what i know, but i feel the psni is a better equipt force, ok their training has come under some debate recently but i think they are a more professionally run force, an garda siochana could learn from the police force in northern ireland, all you have to do is go to the marches and bloody sunday parades and see the way the psni network with the people up their, even watch street wars on sky, its a real eye opener as to what the job really involves.

i was amazed at the variety of people that were taking the selection test, im in my mid twenties and felt extremely young.

i thought the way they read out the 1st part was a bit amature and the lady reading them out made mistakes and had to repeat some of the info, it was a bit of a distraction and a tad frustrating especially when your under pressure and a bit stressed.

johnny i have followed your progress through the gardai recruitment and i honestly hope you get the psni, you have shown determination and dedication right through the whole process, so hang on in there and remember what doesnt kill you will only make you stronger ;)

hey,cheers for that.

yeah i have seen street wars a few times.great show for profiling what the job would be like.
    totally agree that the psni are head and shoulders above our own as regards professionalisim.

anyways, i will struggle on, i will get there in the end. ;)

Hi Rihanna.

Here's a secret: The initial selection test is designed to be very tough. They know that nobody completes it, but that's not what it's about. Apart from measuring all the competencies it measures, it secretly measures how you perform under stress. Time ticks away and the questions get progressively harder and take longer to complete. They are looking for people to keep their head and keep getting the answers right even though they are running out of time.

Let us know how you get on. They're usually very quick sending out the results.

Celtic07 wrote:
    Pezza.

Do you have to just have 6/18 thou without contacts/glasses do you know whichit has in the form that can be correctable to 6/12.

let me know if u know
    Cheers :D

Celtic i ain't too sure, i know i had to read the paragraph about the sight test to understand it correctly.
    Sorry i can't help anymore.

psni wrote:
    Hi Rihanna.

Here's a secret: The initial selection test is designed to be very tough. They know that nobody completes it, but that's not what it's about. Apart from measuring all the competencies it measures, it secretly measures how you perform under stress. Time ticks away and the questions get progressively harder and take longer to complete. They are looking for people to keep their head and keep getting the answers right even though they are running out of time.

Let us know how you get on. They're usually very quick sending out the results.

really??

on section 3 i skipped the few questions i coudnt figure out and moved on to the next ones, will i be suffer a penalty if say i answer the first 12 Qs then skip on to 17 and complete the test?

johnnycash wrote:
    really??

on section 3 i skipped the few questions i coudnt figure out and moved on to the next ones, will i be suffer a penalty if say i answer the first 12 Qs then skip on to 17 and complete the test?

johnny this should make you feel a little better, my brain just totally gave up on part 3 so i randomly answered ABCD to the questions and then i went back and answered the ones i THOUGHT i could answer, i gave it a miserable attempt, but supposedly god loves a tryer ;)

im doing my inital ina few weeks. part 3 really that tricky is it? nothing u can do to prepare? i have the book that psni recomended let me know if you get called back rihanna, cash etc:D

Celtic07 wrote:
    im doing my inital ina few weeks. part 3 really that tricky is it? nothing u can do to prepare? i have the book that psni recomended let me know if you get called back rihanna, cash etc:D

part 3 is tricky enough, to simplify it, its a just piecing together the information provided and answering the Qs.

ex..

a bus ticket cost for an adult 4 euro in the winter but costs 7 euro in the summer.

students get a 2 euro dicount
    children pay half price all year

how much is a student ticket cost in summer

stuff like that except more complicated

My advice for anyone doing the test is take a watch with a stop watch on it.
    They do have a clock on the wall but with a stop watch you know exactly how much time you have.

I looked at the questions and answered the ones that were quick to answer. The ones that took longer i had a guess at and then on the rough paper make a note of the question number. If you have time you can always go back and have a go at it.

Also when you go into the room try and sit near the front. They read part one out to you so if your at the back it may be harder to hear.

Hope this helps.

part a is where they read it out isnt it? where abouts do you write your notes they give you paper i presume? part b easy enough is it? i know its reading a document then answering true false or dont know. The book i got how to pass the police exam is no good for the inttal i just realised its more helpful for the assesments and roleplays which is no good to my now. Doh :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lifeonmars

Hello boys and girls,

I'm taking the exam for PSNI this friday in London. I'm a serving Met copper with just over 3 years service and originally from Dublin. My folks live close to the border so would be a handy commute.

For info of those considering a move from a mainland force to the PSNI; though you have to go through the process as any other recruit, if successfully appointed you be will be an EPT (experienced police trainee) while at training school and will only have to do a condensed training course bridging the gaps in training.

Though I'm not looking forward to going through the whole process again I've got nowt to lose so what the hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement