Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 peza999

Celtic07 wrote:
    part a is where they read it out isnt it? where abouts do you write your notes they give you paper i presume? part b easy enough is it? i know its reading a document then answering true false or dont know. The book i got how to pass the police exam is no good for the inttal i just realised its more helpful for the assesments and roleplays which is no good to my now. Doh :(

Yes they give you a piece of paper to make the notes for part A.
    Part B is quite straight forward, just make sure you read the questions properly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

That's right lifeonmars. Both you and peza999 will only have to do 5 weeks training. You won't have to participate in drill, PE or the Personal Safety classes, but instead you'll be studying your asses off. From what I've been told, there are many small differences, but no major ones. Traffic seemed to be the biggest problem for transferees. Apparently, if you have to resit any exams, it'll be Traffic.

You can both look on the bright side - at least you'll get a room to yourself in the accomodation block, and it doesn't get inspected!

psni wrote:
    That's right lifeonmars. Both you and peza999 will only have to do 5 weeks training. You won't have to participate in drill, PE or the Personal Safety classes, but instead you'll be studying your asses off. From what I've been told, there are many small differences, but no major ones. Traffic seemed to be the biggest problem for transferees. Apparently, if you have to resit any exams, it'll be Traffic.

You can both look on the bright side - at least you'll get a room to yourself in the accomodation block, and it doesn't get inspected!

Hi PSNI
    Do you know how many exams the tranferees have to do ?
    Are there seperate classes for us or do we join in with the new recruits?
    Can you return to Garnerville on a Sunday night?
    Is the food ok or is it worth bring stuff with me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi peza999.

You will have 5 exams to do over the course of 2 days.

You join the new recruits from day 1 but you are treated very differently as a transferee.

All students can go home on Friday evening and must return for classes on Monday morning. Some come back on Sunday night, some leave it until Monday morning.

The food isn't too shabby, but best of all - it's free! You get a daily allowance of £10.60 which covers breakfast, lunch and tea. You also get a 70p allowance at morning break and another 70p allowance at afternoon break. It's done with cards and the ladies at the till simply swipe your card and debit it with whatever you are taking. You can go over your allowance but you'll have to pay extra.

Hope this helps!
    peza999 wrote:
    Hi PSNI
    Do you know how many exams the tranferees have to do ?
    Are there seperate classes for us or do we join in with the new recruits?
    Can you return to Garnerville on a Sunday night?
    Is the food ok or is it worth bring stuff with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Any1 hu did there test get results back yet?

• Advertisement

psni wrote:
    Hi peza999.

You will have 5 exams to do over the course of 2 days.

You join the new recruits from day 1 but you are treated very differently as a transferee.

All students can go home on Friday evening and must return for classes on Monday morning. Some come back on Sunday night, some leave it until Monday morning.

The food isn't too shabby, but best of all - it's free! You get a daily allowance of £10.60 which covers breakfast, lunch and tea. You also get a 70p allowance at morning break and another 70p allowance at afternoon break. It's done with cards and the ladies at the till simply swipe your card and debit it with whatever you are taking. You can go over your allowance but you'll have to pay extra.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply PSNI
    No doubt there will be a few more questions i will think of prior to going

peza999 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply PSNI
    No doubt there will be a few more questions i will think of prior to going

Not a problem peza999. Just fire them across and I'll do my best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

Celtic07 wrote:
    Any1 hu did there test get results back yet?

i reckon monday, very good at getting the results back.

fingers crossed!!!!

johnnycash wrote:
    i reckon monday, very good at getting the results back.

fingers crossed!!!!

hey johnny.
    I havent even done mine yet....doing it the 10th:confused: Any advice?

Let me know how u get on. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

Celtic07 wrote:
    hey johnny.
    I havent even done mine yet....doing it the 10th:confused: Any advice?

Let me know how u get on. :D

when doing the part with the info sheet, just do what you canand dont panic,its tough but doable, other than that its a bog standard apptitute, dont be stressing you will be grand.

sorry i cant help anymore than that but honest to god, just stay focused on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Hey johnny, I presume you have it complete?! how did you find it? have mine the 14th cant wait to get it done :D

Jay

Jay112 wrote:
    Hey johnny, I presume you have it complete?! how did you find it? have mine the 14th cant wait to get it done :D

Jay

well jay.

u doing yours up north 2 yea? or u from dere anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Celtic07 wrote:
    well jay.

u doing yours up north 2 yea? or u from dere anyway?

Hey Celtic07,

No iv got mine in Dublin! Im from Tipp so i suppose it makes sense to have it in dublin! how about yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 burnz1987

Hi PSNI ,
    Had my test there in Stranmillis College in Belfast there on Friday the 31st of August . The test was so hard , I tried my best at it but dont feel confident , do you get anther chance as in an interview or something so they get to see you or is that it ? :(

Jay112 wrote:
    Hey Celtic07,

No iv got mine in Dublin! Im from Tipp so i suppose it makes sense to have it in dublin! how about yourself?

Your lucky so jay. im from carlow and have to go to amragh to do it :mad:

pity i cant do mine in dub ah well. Nuthin i can do now!

burnz1987 wrote:
    Hi PSNI ,
    Had my test there in Stranmillis College in Belfast there on Friday the 31st of August . The test was so hard , I tried my best at it but dont feel confident , do you get anther chance as in an interview or something so they get to see you or is that it ? :(

Is it really dat bad? were the examples from the website useless compared to the real thing?

Hi burnz1987,

If you don't get the initial, then that's you out of the running I'm afraid. The PSNI don't even get to hear of your name because Consensia only pass on the names of those who pass the initial, assessment centre and medical.

Psychometric tests can be hard especially if you have never done one before. At least you'll know what to expect if you apply again next March.
    burnz1987 wrote:
    Hi PSNI ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 burnz1987

Next March , jeez they dont waste anytime up there recruiting . Counting down the days till I get my results and praying I got through and I wouldnt mind initially I didnt even wanna join them , no I do ! always the way ! :D

hey Psni

Just another question about the inital. Just say if you get a question wrong in the test do you then get deducted a mark from 1 you get right? think its called negitive writing. Was like this for the prison officers which i did earlier in the year and think its the same for the gardai. So bascially if you dont know an answer leave it blank instead of guessing or is it dif for the psni?

AFAIK they don't deduct marks, but then again, Consensia keep their way of doing things a closely guarded secret.
    Celtic07 wrote:
    hey Psni

Just another question about the inital. Just say if you get a question wrong in the test do you then get deducted a mark from 1 you get right? think its called negitive writing. Was like this for the prison officers which i did earlier in the year and think its the same for the gardai. So bascially if you dont know an answer leave it blank instead of guessing or is it dif for the psni?

• Advertisement

psni wrote:
    AFAIK they don't deduct marks, but then again, Consensia keep their way of doing things a closely guarded secret.

Thanks again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gooser

Hi All,

I've been following this topic with interest. Has anybody got any results yet? I sat the initial about a fortnight ago and was half hoping to hear back one way or the other by now. Don’t know if that's a realistic timeframe or not, although there are several references in this thread to the relatively fast turnaround times in Consencia.

Unusual. They are usually very quick to get the results out. If you don't hear anything by next Wednesday, give them a call and let them know how long you've been waiting. Best of luck with it.
    Gooser wrote:
    Hi All,

I've been following this topic with interest. Has anybody got any results yet? I sat the initial about a fortnight ago and was half hoping to hear back one way or the other by now. Don’t know if that's a realistic timeframe or not, although there are several references in this thread to the relatively fast turnaround times in Consencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

psni wrote:
    Hope this helps!

Do the Mars bars and Coke come free? ;)

Gooser wrote:
    Hi All,

any tips for the test gooser? doing it on mon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gooser

Hi - not sure I'm the best person to ask tips from :confused:

Nevertheless, try keep an eye on time, I think the test is deliberatly set up so that you dont have enough time to finish it but at least be aware how much time you've got left.

Gooser wrote:
    Hi - not sure I'm the best person to ask tips from :confused:

Nevertheless, try keep an eye on time, I think the test is deliberatly set up so that you dont have enough time to finish it but at least be aware how much time you've got left.

For part 1 of the test. this is when they read out a script right? is it num or words they are after in most cases?

Also this mite be a stupid question.....but can you bring a calculator into the test?

I did my test on 16th August and i had the results on Thursday. They said allow 21 days so this is about right.

Your not allowed to take a calculater into the test. They tell you to take all personal items off the desk.

The advice about watching the clock is right. If you have a watch with a stop watch on it use it.
    Don't get bogged down on any one question, guess it and move on. If you have time at the end you can always go back to it.

• Advertisement

peza999 wrote:
    I did my test on 16th August and i had the results on Thursday. They said allow 21 days so this is about right.

Your not allowed to take a calculater into the test. They tell you to take all personal items off the desk.

The advice about watching the clock is right. If you have a watch with a stop watch on it use it.
    Don't get bogged down on any one question, guess it and move on. If you have time at the end you can always go back to it.

hey Peza

did u get called back? the examples they give you on the net are similar so yes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement