Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

Anybody got a phone number for Consensia? Did my assessment centre on 13th Oct, and was pretty confident, but still no word... Anyone done the medical yet? Whats it like? Blood and urine samples? Chest x-rays? Hearing and eye tests? I have no conditions, and my weight is normal for my height etc. but I am a smoker and am worried about that...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Fiacmar wrote: »
    Anybody got a phone number for Consensia? Did my assessment centre on 13th Oct, and was pretty confident, but still no word... Anyone done the medical yet? Whats it like? Blood and urine samples? Chest x-rays? Hearing and eye tests? I have no conditions, and my weight is normal for my height etc. but I am a smoker and am worried about that...

Don't worry too much about the smoking. There's a smoking area in Garnerville where smokers gather to spark up. As long as it doesn't affect your fitness you're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jerrry3

Hi,

I had my medical last week. For me it lasted about 1.5 hrs. Its quite thorough.
    A urine sample is taken however not a blood sample. Some basic forms are completed, then hearing, eye, reading , colour blindness tests are given. A spirometer test is also given to check lung functionality etc. I have asthma however had no problems with any of the tests. Then you complete a thorough physical examination by the occupational doctor. This checks functionality for all major limbs and some organs. For me the medical was a bit of a mixed bag, the tests obviously have to ensure the applicant is physically fit however, a minor heart murmur was detected for me on the day. I was furious, I've never had any problem with any organ. I spent most of yesterday at my local Gp undergoing Ecg , heart tests and Im as fit as a fiddle - according to him, nothing was found. I now have 10 days to relay the Gp's findings to the occupational therapist / doctor with the hope of passing the medical. Bit of a nightmare really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jim2001

Hi Jerry, did you get a letter from them saying you had passed?, I completed mine yesterday and was surprised there was no drop and cough!lol. How long did they take coming back to you?

Fiacmar the number is 028 9024 2520 I think.

Anyone else any updates?

Best of luck guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jerrry3

Hi Jim,

Thats the problem m8, I havent passed. If anything is detected on the day of the medical , you receive a letter saying you have failed the medical due to 'x' condition. You then have 10 days to take the form to your doctor / gp regarding the condition.The doctor then addresses the problem, you then fill in the form details and return the document to the medical staff. A decision on the medical is then made. Some craic.....

• Advertisement

Hope you get it sorted mate!.

How long did it take them to come back to you?, I was on the phone to recruitment and this campaign they are taking on 440 people altogether.

Thanks Jerry, Jim and PSNI. Is there anyone who did the assessment centre on or around the 13th of Oct? If so have ye heard anything back yet? Or how long did anyone who has gotten notification of a successfull assessment have to wait for it? Or whats the average waiting time between the notification of the medical and the actual medical? I am heading away for much of December and have heard nothing since the assessment centre...:( Starting to feel forgotten about...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Thanks Jerry, Jim and PSNI. Is there anyone who did the assessment centre on or around the 13th of Oct? If so have ye heard anything back yet? Or how long did anyone who has gotten notification of a successfull assessment have to wait for it? Or whats the average waiting time between the notification of the medical and the actual medical? I am heading away for much of December and have heard nothing since the assessment centre...:( Starting to feel forgotten about...

You'll know within 6 weeks. That's the official word from what I'm told. You won't get the breakdown of your score until the new year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Rihanna

hey psni whats your thoughts on the shooting of a police officer in Derry this morning? i know a few people currently in the process of joining up and its worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

Hey,

I did mine this morning - was suprised actually - the Garda one was a LOT more detailed (did an ECG etc etc with them last year!). But lads - I fecked up the spirometer completely!!!!! ^&*% - I'm such a muppet. Anyway - not sure about the eye sight test either. My optitian said I met the minimum reqs, but on the day, I don't think so - everything was pretty blurred....will be appealing I think!!!!! Should know next week either way :-/ sheesh.....

Lis'idiot'sooz

PS - Rihanna - sure look at the case today in court about the Garda Srgt who got shot last year - it's getting as bad down here!

• Advertisement

Im sure you will be fine!, was your medical up north? Have you been accepted to the Garda then?,which one will you pick if you get a start date with the PSNI as well?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

will the psni be recruiting again in march?......hopefully wont have to if I get into the gardai.fingers crossed

jim2001 wrote: »
    Im sure you will be fine!, was your medical up north? Have you been accepted to the Garda then?,which one will you pick if you get a start date with the PSNI as well?.

Medical was up north - in PSNI place in Carraickfergus (?sp) (did you not have a medical here Jim?). I'm only just after starting the recruitment process with the Gardai - has test last week so am waiting to get results this week. I would prefer to get the PSNI one as would be handier for me in my personal position. Plus - seems PSNI intake would be sooner than the Garda one - if all goes well with both :)

Waiting and seeing anyway - am a big believer in applying for everything to keep the ole options open. I had the Garda medicals for the Reserves last year tho - hence the knowledge. Was funny actually cos the nurse from the PSNI medical told me she was going to be in Dublin for the weekend and I ended up wandering around outside the hotel she told me she's be in for a while on Sat, whilst on GR duty!

Yea, I had mine in carrick as well. Not to far for me, its about 15 mile or so!. Did you stay up in belfast for the night then?

Anyone any other updates on their progress? Assessments, medicals?

Yea, I had mine in carrick as well. Not to far for me, its about 15 mile or so!. Did you stay up in belfast for the night then?

I had intended on staying the night before with a friend (I'm up in Belfast a couple times a month so it's practically my home away from home that's not Cork) but unfortunately, I forgot and agreed to work a Reserve shift, so had to drive up from Dublin on Friday morning. Then back down again for work in the avo, as couldn't get the whole day off work. yikes! Found the place on the 2nd attempt :-)

Lis

Been just over five weeks since my a/c, and still no word on the medical... Is there anybody else still waiting for word..?

Been just over five weeks since my a/c, and still no word on the medical... Is there anybody else still waiting for word..?

Hi mate, did you try ringing them?. You previously said you were going away for december so if you explained that to them Im sure they would be able to help you out. Fingers crossed for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MartinC2006

Received vetting forms on Tuesday and information on the medical Today.

Did the A/C 5 weeks ago this coming Friday if that helps.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 g1294003

For anyone worrying, it took me exactly 6weeks to the day to find out about assessment centre! Thought I musta failed and they would let those who passed know first but thankfully passed so don't worry about it just yet!

Thanks to Martin Jim and g1294003 for the replies, puts the mind at rest a little, I gave them a call and they said to wait until the full six weeks have expired before worrying, that they are still processing the results from the A/C's, and that they expect to be sending out replies until the end of November, so no worries.

• Advertisement

Hi all.

I have requested a Policing forum in Sys/Forums. If you would like to see a forum, or sub-forum for policing here on boards, feel free to head on over and let your voice be heard.

Just in relation to the recent shootings of serving PSNI officers...

I notice that PSNI (the boards member rather than the service...) hasn't answered the previously posted comment about his feelings on the recent shooting of an off-duty officer. This is understandable, I feel. Such an incident must arouse emotions in a serving officer that are probably not best expressed in public. And then there was a second one... (I wish to point out at this point that our thoughts and best wishes must be with the two officers and those close to them.)

It would appear, from what we've been hearing in the media anyway, that the goal of these attacks is to discourage potential officers from their applications, particularly those from the Catholic tradition.

It makes you think just that little bit harder about the "be careful who you tell", warnings from Consensia. Sobering stuff.

For my part, these incidents only serve to strengthen my resolve to be successfull in my application. In my humble opinion, the very point, or at least one of the points of a police service- any police service is to show resolve in the face of intimidation, and not to allow these cowardly thugs to inflict themselves upon the community- the whole community, whatever the excuse ("political", sectarian or otherwise) for their bullying.

Although, I am about a stone overweight, a smoker and chances are I did crap in the A/C so I'll probably fail anyway :o

Anyway, thus endeth the sermon (or non-denominational rant!) Let me know what ye think... I'm off to buy the patches, count the carbs and practice that brain expanding game thingy to get ready for the next campaign- just in case.

Just in relation to the recent shootings of serving PSNI officers...

I notice that PSNI (the boards member rather than the service...) hasn't answered the previously posted comment about his feelings on the recent shooting of an off-duty officer.

I had actually intended on answering Rihanna but got distracted and then forgot. Since her question there was one more shooting.

They make it clear right from the start that there are people out there who would have our heads on sticks if they could. That's why we have guns. You are right by saying they are very sobering incidents to us all. We've all started to take our guns home with us now. Some of us just left them in the lockers until the next shift.

We know we are all potential targets. We are all given instructions on how to manage our personal safety. Now we're all going to have to step it up a notch or ten. I just hope I'm not next. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tobymarshall

Thanks for the kind information you have provided. It would be nice if you provide some more information about this. :)

Got my results for the medical this morning and I passed, just the vetting to get through and then see where Im at in the merit pool.

Got my results for the medical this morning and I passed, just the vetting to get through and then see where Im at in the merit pool.

me too!!! The Gardai mightn't want me - but at least someone does :rolleyes:

Keep going jim2001 and lisnsooz. It's definitely worth the wait. Fingers crossed for you both.

Thanks for the support PSNI, and good luck all those going through the different stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 smudge0580

hi all. new to the forum

i had my assessment day in november, still waiting to hear if i passed.
    bit worried about the medical as im a bit overweight and injured my knee last year? what happens in the medical?

thanks

• Advertisement

It depends on what you mean when you say "a bit" overweight. Your application will be terminated if you are clinically obese, but if you're just overweight as a result of inactivity due to the knee injury ;) then it's nothing you can't work off at the gym between now and say, 6 months?

If you disclosed the previous knee injury on your medical forms, and it's fully healed now, then you have nothing to worry about on that side.

Fingers crossed for good news back from your assessments!
    smudge0580 wrote: »
    hi all. new to the forum

i had my assessment day in november, still waiting to hear if i passed.
    bit worried about the medical as im a bit overweight and injured my knee last year? what happens in the medical?

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement