Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You're asking the wrong person about book versions and releases friend. I just do the job ya know?
    Jay112 wrote:
    Yea that would be great thanks! it would be nice to know, the '' How to pass the new police selection system '' book, is the 2nd edition the newest or is there a 3rd edition!? Id prefer to get the latest:)

Jay:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Hi PSNI.

I plan to apply for the Garda as soon as recruitment opens again at end of Summer. It's my dream job since I was about 13 years old to join the Gardaí.

Heres a question. I'm 18 just finished school & living in Dublin. Would it be worthwhile applying for the PSNI to see how it goes? I'll only have the transport of train to Belfast to get to any interviews or assessments etc. It wouldn't be a problem for me to work across the border as long as i'm doing a job i dream of.

Would this question in the application form make much of a difference?

Political Opinion
    ===============
    Unionist
    Nationalist
    Other
    None
    Prefer not to say

I'd be more of a Nationalist but is it wiser to put down 'None' on the form?

Much appreciated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Your initial selection test will be in Dublin so hopefully getting there won't be too difficult if you choose to apply.

The definition of Nationalist has different meanings both sides of the border so even if you put it down it wouldn't have any bearing on your application. Your community background is decided by where you went to secondary school, so if you went to a Catholic secondary school, then you're treated as a Catholic (Nationalist) - like it or not!

I'm not sure I understand your question of "worthwhile applying... to see how it goes..." because policing is policing no matter where you are in the world. Have a good read down through the thread and see if any of your concerns have already been answered. I can't get a handle on what it is you're asking there.

Yeh your right but i'll stab at it again.

I would love to work for the Garda but was wondering if I could attempt all the tests etc. for the PSNI recruitment and see how far I get? Make my mind up there and then. I would like to see how I perform for the PSNI and the Garda in the tests.

If I got the job as PSNI officer and was situated near the Dublin - Belfast train line, I'd be chuffed :D

At age 18-21 moving to NI would be a problem but when I get older I guess it wouldn't....

Yes of course you can try the initial selection test without any obligation, and the same with the assessment centre if you get that far. It really is just one long interview I suppose. For the initial selection test, they will test your basic grammar, spelling and punctuation so make sure you know when to use "you're" instead of "your".

Places that are close enough to the Dublin/Belfast train line are either Newry, Banbridge, Lisburn or Belfast itself.

There are no problems moving to NI from Dublin because you get 20 free weeks living in Garnerville while you are training as a Student Officer. That's ample time to sort yourself out over the weekends you have off.

I wish you well with your application.
    Yeh your right but i'll stab at it again.

I would love to work for the Garda but was wondering if I could attempt all the tests etc. for the PSNI recruitment and see how far I get? Make my mind up there and then. I would like to see how I perform for the PSNI and the Garda in the tests.

If I got the job as PSNI officer and was situated near the Dublin - Belfast train line, I'd be chuffed :D

At age 18-21 moving to NI would be a problem but when I get older I guess it wouldn't....

• Advertisement

Thank you very much. I applied yesterday evening and await for the post. slán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭johnnycash

i applied last year,

passed test and assesment but i didnt make it high enough on panel to get a first time call.

have re-applied and have test in dublin on 23/8/07

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

johnnycash wrote:
    i applied last year,

passed test and assesment but i didnt make it high enough on panel to get a first time call.

have re-applied and have test in dublin on 23/8/07

You got your date sooner than me. :( Mine's two weeks into Sept.

Chatmaster wrote:
    You got your date sooner than me. :( Mine's two weeks into Sept.

where are you applying from?

johnnycash wrote:
    where are you applying from?

Meath... :confused: But it might be that it was open a few days or weeks before I applied.. I just saw it in The Sun

• Advertisement

Chatmaster wrote:
    Meath... :confused: But it might be that it was open a few days or weeks before I applied.. I just saw it in The Sun

i applied the first day, i thought they only ran one test day down here.hopefully if i get through it the assesment will be in december.

its a lot trickier than the garda tests i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭zaratustra

Are you all posting from work?:D

zaratustra wrote:
    Are you all posting from work?:D

No, Why? Are you? :eek:

Johnnycash, if you get through it then in December, how long is the wair until the next part?

How long does it take for the post to arrive by the way since applying? Just wondering really

How long does it take for the post to arrive by the way since applying? Just wondering really

i got a letter back in less than 2weeks.

everything is fast with psni,deffo not like our own

Yeah mine was less than two weeks. I thought it was just a letter saying the get my application and all.. but then I saw the date for the test. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I got my date it's sept and in Belfast! I'm in Dublin and will have to take a trip up north to take it. The prob is that its early morning so i'll prob have to stay overnight the previous night in a hotel.
    The letter says the venue is non-negotiable so I guess i've to like it or lump it.

I cant really complain as i only applied at the 11th hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

On the equality monitoring form I put down that I was from the protestant community as I was born in England and Christened CofE, but to be honest I've hardly set foot inside of a church my entire life and don't intend to in the future. My mother and stepfather are both Catholic though and I went to a Christian Brothers school in Ireland. Will it matter?

It won't matter. They come across that all the time. It's based on where you went to secondary school. Even if you were a Muslim in a Catholic school, you will be treated as a Catholic.
    Gadgie wrote:
    On the equality monitoring form I put down that I was from the protestant community as I was born in England and Christened CofE, but to be honest I've hardly set foot inside of a church my entire life and don't intend to in the future. My mother and stepfather are both Catholic though and I went to a Christian Brothers school in Ireland. Will it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

You might be put on the catholic side of the 50/50 if that even makes sense haha! Best of luck to all who applied anyway,
    Keep this thread goin throughout the campaign! cant wait for the trip to the Atha Cliath meself, should see some of you there:D

• Advertisement

Your problem there was the 11th hour application. They obviously weren't prepared to put on an initial selection test in Dublin for the final few 11th hour candidates from the Republic.
    Wisesmurf wrote:
    I got my date it's sept and in Belfast! I'm in Dublin and will have to take a trip up north to take it. The prob is that its early morning so i'll prob have to stay overnight the previous night in a hotel.
    The letter says the venue is non-negotiable so I guess i've to like it or lump it.

I cant really complain as i only applied at the 11th hour.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Would it be wise to get a separate book for the initial recruitment test or does the book you recommended earlier cover this also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

Gadgie wrote:

Would it be wise to get a separate book for the initial recruitment test or does the book you recommended earlier cover this also?

Dont think ill bother getting the book, Ill stick with the Booklet we were given should be enough!

The book I mentioned is fine for the initial selection test. Some find it very useful, others tell me it didn't teach them anything they didn't already know.
    Gadgie wrote:

psni wrote:
    The book I mentioned is fine for the initial selection test. Some find it very useful, others tell me it didn't teach them anything they didn't already know.

Thanks. I've ordered it from amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ricz

Hi PSNI

Ive applied and got a date for an initial test. But im a litle worried about the medical now. I met up with a friend and he told me he applied last year and failed his medical because of his eyesight. He said you have to meet a certain standard without contacts or glasses and thats where he failed. And my eyesight is alot worse than his!!! Can you tell me if this is true?

Also would you have a higher chance of being accepted if you are an ethnic minority? Thanks

Well logic would tell me that if your friend failed due to his eyesight, and your eyesight is worse than his, then you will also fail. There is a guy currently in training who got laser eye surgery for the same reason and passed the medical due to the success of the procedure. Might be worth your while to check it out if you really want in like he did.

Recruitment is done on a 50/50 basis. 50% of the people selected are treated as Catholic, and the other 50% treated as not being Catholic. Being an "ethnic minority" doesn't really matter.

Here is some information on the current eyesight requirements:

Eyesight Standards

The current (9/2005) Home Office eyesight standards for applicants to the police force are as follows:

Unaided vision (without spectacles or lenses)

6/36 or better in either eye (2nd line down on optician’s chart) is required. Binocular vision (vision with both eyes) worse than 6/6 (7th line on optician's chart) requires correction.

Aided vision (wearing lenses or spectacles)

6/12 or better in either eye (5th line down on optician’s chart) and 6/6 or better using both eyes (binocular vision) is required. Near vision N6 at 40cm with both eyes together (aided).

Colour vision

Severe colour vision deficiencies (monochromats) are not acceptable. Anomalous trichromats are acceptable. Severe anomolous trichromats or dichromats are aceptable but you will need to be aware of the deficiency and make appropriate adjustments. The use of colour correcting lenses is not acceptable.

Corrective eye treatment

Forces will reject applicants who have undergone Radial Keratotomy (RK), Arcuate Keratotomy or corneal grafts due to the side effects of these treatments.

Forces will accept applications from people who have undergone Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK), LASIK or LASEK surgery provided that six weeks have elapsed since surgery, there are no residual side effects and the other eyesight standards are met.

Other eye conditions

Forces will reject applicants with a history of a detached retina and glaucoma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ricz

Thanks for quick response. What i shouldve also mentioned is tha my friend said he heard that the eyetest requirement mightve changed which was why i wass asking you if you had any info on this. But no matter i checked the consensia website and it showed what is needed. I read the application information on the website before I applied but i guess i just missed that out. But thanks anyways for the help, appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Future15

Is there any formal eudcation required to join the P.S.N.I?

• Advertisement

sky one has a show on tuesday nights "street wars" . part of the show follows a psni unit around derry.

the man that heads up the unit is an inspector.he comes off as being a very shrewd and expirienced officer but he can be a real hard nut too.all in all its a great insight as to what the job might be like.

i recommend people take a look at the show

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement