Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Was the Shopping Centre Manager an actual used example from before?

Can it be used since managers are supposed to be able to deal with situations like the police in problem solving and all?

And, can it turn out that the actors may have a knife or somethin they might pull out and get pissed off with you?

Lol I saw it before on training.. but it was in the training place for the police in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

thanks for the detailed reply.
    i thought that it was in relation to police work like if u walked into the room u would get a drunk who was aggressive and u had to act out how u would deal with the problem. i understand now that its role play dealing with how u would deal with problems not necessarily to do with police work

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yes the Shopping Centre scenario was used before, and it's your behaviour that they are observing and not your knowledge of the law or policing skills. For that reason, the role actors are not armed and certainly aren't violent in any way.

Like paul666 said, it is actually nothing to do with policing. You are expected to demonstrate skills that a police officer would have in dealing with the public on an every day basis, just like those of a manager, e.g. problem solving, respect for diversity etc..

If you get in to the PSNI, you will then learn how to deal with physically aggressive people during the 20 weeks in Garnerville.
    Chatmaster wrote:
    Was the Shopping Centre Manager an actual used example from before?

Can it be used since managers are supposed to be able to deal with situations like the police in problem solving and all?

And, can it turn out that the actors may have a knife or somethin they might pull out and get pissed off with you?

Lol I saw it before on training.. but it was in the training place for the police in England.

Cool, thanks. :cool:

So when you get in, you're there for 20 weeks? And then put in a police station?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

20 weeks in Garnerville, and an additional 10 weeks of training like Firearms, Driving, First Aid and so on. After that 10 weeks is over, it's out to your station to start with your tutor constable for a further 10 weeks with him mentoring you every step of the way. After that you're just one of the guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 collied

Basic training is LIGHT YEARS ahead of An Garda Siochana.Diving for recruits in the GARDA is UNHEARD OF.There is a waiting list to do the basic driving course.This situation is ridiculous in a modern day police force.
    Can you confirm if there is a dog handler course in basic training for the PSNI?

collied wrote:
    Basic training is LIGHT YEARS ahead of An Garda Siochana.Diving for recruits is UNHEARD OF.There is a waiting list to do the basic driving course.This situation is ridiculous in a modern day police force.
    Can you confirm if there is a dog handler course in basic training for the PSNI?

No. There is no dog handler course in the 20-week foundation program or the 10-week combined operational training program that follows. You have to complete your 2-year probation out on the streets and then apply to do any subsequent courses that may interest you like dogs, boats, and so on.

You are quite correct collied. Our training is far superior than that of the Gardai even though the facilities are not as good. There are quite a few ex-Gardai who joined up here and told me so. The wearing of the blue training flashes out on the street has to be one of the daftest ideas they have. It quite literally tells the public: "Hey, I'm a newbie".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 collied

I don't know what they teach them in Templemore but it seems they want to get young people in that they can mould into their mantra that its them against us ,they don't seem to want people with life experience , people that have opinions and ideas of their own, in case they might "GO AGAINST" the grain....Its a pity because they could be a very professional organisation if they could open their minds a bit. Now I dont mean your average Garda on the beat 99.9% of which are excellent people , I mean the heirarchy of the Gardai, the rule makers that are making it harder for beat cops to do their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Rihanna

im extremely disappointed that only 240 get recruited each year, i have spent some time in northern ireland over the last few yeas and the police seem to be well organized and equipped. they seem to have a different attitude to the public and a more positive way of resolving situations. i feel opportunities in psni are greater but the chances of getting in are probably slim to none so that leaves an garda siochana which i do respect and i they do do a good job but i think its alot to do with the lack of training that they recieve after they pass out from templemore, society changes and so the gardai need to change too, also a lack of fitness is a huge problem in an garda siochana once they are out in the real world annual fitness training shoud be compulsary

psni wrote:
    The wearing of the blue training flashes out on the street has to be one of the daftest ideas they have. It quite literally tells the public: "Hey, I'm a newbie".
    Lol yeah. How long are they supposed to be worn for? If you know. :confused:

• Advertisement

Bear in mind that many don't even get past the initial selection test, many don't get through the assessment centre, and many fail the medical. The 240 figure looks worse than it is. Being from the Republic, statistically, you have a better chance of getting in than if you weren't. My advice would be to take advantage of it and apply. You just never know where it might lead.
    Rihanna wrote:
    im extremely disappointed that only 240 get recruited each year, i have spent some time in northern ireland over the last few yeas and the police seem to be well organized and equipped. they seem to have a different attitude to the public and a more positive way of resolving situations. i feel opportunities in psni are greater but the chances of getting in are probably slim to none so that leaves an garda siochana which i do respect and i they do do a good job but i think its alot to do with the lack of training that they recieve after they pass out from templemore, society changes and so the gardai need to change too, also a lack of fitness is a huge problem in an garda siochana once they are out in the real world annual fitness training shoud be compulsary

psni are you getting paid to recruit through boards.ie cause your so positive about the whole thing, i think i might be a little disheartened by the an garda siochana campaign that it feels like ill never get to the place i really really want to be, all this waiting and hoping and dreaming and not being able to plan anything for the near future just bugs me. i got my psni exam date yesterday, hopefully the psni recruitment will be a better experience then the gardai.

Rihanna wrote:
    psni are you getting paid to recruit through boards.ie cause your so positive about the whole thing, i think i might be a little disheartened by the an garda siochana campaign that it feels like ill never get to the place i really really want to be, all this waiting and hoping and dreaming and not being able to plan anything for the near future just bugs me. i got my psni exam date yesterday, hopefully the psni recruitment will be a better experience then the gardai.

Well they have already said that Templemore is a better facility... so that wouldn't have helped if s/he was...

If only I were getting paid! The amount of PMs I get is nearly a full time job in itself!

I'm generally a positive person and there's a lot to be positive about. Northern Ireland is a changed place. Just look at how peacefully the parades went off today compared to just 2 years ago. People are loving the peace and now that the Assembly is up and running again, both communities have won a situation that was thought impossible to resolve.

Don't get me wrong, we're still not liked by certain groups of people who would like us dead, and the job is dangerous as long as people like that are around. I talk to people who are still bitter from the old RUC days and quite frankly I agree with most of what they say regarding what went on back then. But I didn't join the RUC and I make that plain and clear every time it comes up. I always tell these people that the only way they can make sure things like that never happen again is to get involved.

The more Irish people up here in the PSNI, the more the Irish communities will feel they will be treated equally and fairly. It's happening now. I see it every day.
    Rihanna wrote:

Chatmaster wrote:
    Well they have already said that Templemore is a better facility... so that wouldn't have helped if s/he was...

Templemore is far superior than Garnerville without a doubt. It's the actual training that's better, not the facilities.

I'm a man by the way.

psni wrote:
    Templemore is far superior than Garnerville without a doubt. It's the actual training that's better, not the facilities.

I'm a man by the way.

Lol OK Mr. :D

I'm going to have a Google at Garnerville Lol. I'm assuming it's right in the centre of Belfast lol.

How far is Newry from the Training College?

traininglocs.jpg

East Belfast. Right across the road from the Belfast City Aiport.

Here you go: http://www.psni.police.uk/index/the_college.htm
    Chatmaster wrote:
    Lol OK Mr. :D

I'm going to have a Google at Garnerville Lol. I'm assuming it's right in the centre of Belfast lol.

45 miles but it's all dual carriageway so you can do it in about an hour.
    Chatmaster wrote:
    How far is Newry from the Training College?

traininglocs.jpg

psni wrote:
    45 miles but it's all dual carriageway so you can do it in about an hour.
    And it takes me about 30-40 minutes to get to Newry. But it'll be less now that the Motorway is going there. :cool:

Maybe an hour and 30 minutes.. probably less.. not so bad.

• Advertisement

That motorway is going to be a gift when it's done. I can get up and down to Dublin in about 2 hours now, so I imagine it'll shave off a good 20 minutes when the Newry bypass is complete.
    Chatmaster wrote:
    And it takes me about 30-40 minutes to get to Newry. But it'll be less now that the Motorway is going there. :cool:

Maybe an hour and 30 minutes.. probably less.. not so bad.

is there anything i can do to make sure in successful in this campaign other wise its the gardai for me. im so annoyed with PAS and the whole recruitment its turning me off

No, there's no single thing you can do that will guarantee you a place in training. Get through the initial selection test first of all. Get the book I mentioned earlier in this thread if you are not familiar with psychometric testing. If you are called to the assessment centre, let me know via PM and we can discuss how best to approach it.

I know people who have applied to the Garda Reserve to give themselves an opportunity to experience it first hand before they commit to it as a full time job. Ever thought about applying to the Garda Reserve?
    Rihanna wrote:
    is there anything i can do to make sure in successful in this campaign other wise its the gardai for me. im so annoyed with PAS and the whole recruitment its turning me off

garda reserve,no i have not really thought of it. ill just have to wait and see what fate decides to do with me!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

What keeps me optimistic is that i can still apply even if i get a bad leaving cert come august, so my stress can be relieved a little bit!
    Thanks for the recommendation of the Book PSNI, im definately going to purchase it!

Jay112

Hey PSNI is there usually official figures released of how many applied to the campaign?

Not externally no. I should be able to find out when it closes next week if you are interested?

• Advertisement

psni wrote:
    Not externally no. I should be able to find out when it closes next week if you are interested?

Yea that would be great thanks! it would be nice to know, the '' How to pass the new police selection system '' book, is the 2nd edition the newest or is there a 3rd edition!? Id prefer to get the latest:)

Jay:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement