Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

thunderstorm here now also in north kerry, not as bad as the one monday but still nice. Claps of thunder and long rumbling noises in all directions

There'll be nothing here-clear blue sunshine all day but I can see a train of massive cb's heading up the west of wicklow corresponding to the showers there which are still growing and will probably drift into at least west Dublin by evening.

Theres a few strong storms around now including one with a strike or three a minute south of Galway over clare somewhere.
    I see those cb's I've seen building this afternoon have sparhked in west wicklow too.
    I actually heard 2 faint rumbles from them.
    They are feckin massive!

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/eur_sfuk.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

east clare is getting pelted with lightning I can hear a thunderclap a minute at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

There was a single, long drawn out rumble in the distance here in Carlow about an hour ago, I 'assumed' it came from the direction in the picture below. I know nothing about clouds, just wondering if this is one of them so called 'anvils'? It looks big, have a flat top and sharp edges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Thunderstorm right now in Limerick,continuous rumbles. have some video of downpour will upload later.

estimate it is bout five miles north of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

nothing in galway....damn

Don't you worry, it looks like Galway will get it's fair share before the day is out.

and they fixed the Shannon Radar

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

you might be right as we just had a mental downpour there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

There was a single, long drawn out rumble in the distance here in Carlow about an hour ago, I 'assumed' it came from the direction in the picture below. I know nothing about clouds, just wondering if this is one of them so called 'anvils'? It looks big, have a flat top and sharp edges.
    If thats to your North,well im looking at the same one to my SW.Perfect anvil created from lift from sea breeze and mountains.Some spectacular looking clouds out west of here too in the distance.Crystal clear above me here.In fact it was a nice summers day.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    If thats to your North,well im looking at the same one to my SW.Perfect anvil created from lift from sea breeze and mountains.Some spectacular looking clouds out west of here too in the distance.Crystal clear above me here.In fact it was a nice summers day.

I took the pic at approx 5pm and I was looking to the NW, fortunate to be out in the countryside at the time, so had the opportunity to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

To my east there are completely clear blue skies and to the west and sw there are some good looking cb's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Had a storm pass close to here between about 5 and 6.30 this evening. I reckon the closest it came was about 2 or 3 miles but, still, there was a hell of a lot of long, lingering rumbles of thunder and a few louder, sharper claps as well. Saw a couple of distant cloud to ground lightning strikes to the south and southwest but it mostly seemed to be sheet lightning. Started off roughly to the south of here and passed off slowly to the west.

Saw a couple of impressive anvils afterwards as it passed away as well so I reckon the Mountrath and Mountmellick kind of area got it much worse than we did. The sky still looks quite threatening here at the moment in places so I wonder if there might be some more activity around here before the night is through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

No thunder here so far today. Just constant rain all day, heavy at times. Sky is a complete blanket of grey cloud, no nice clouds today unfortunately..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

I thought I was going to have some lightning action this afternoon but seems like my eyes need to learn to read those clouds a bit better! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Thunderstorm right now in Limerick,continuous rumbles. have some video of downpour will upload later.

estimate it is bout five miles north of me.

I never saw rain like that before, giant drops.

My road and garden flooded in the space of 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Estofex reporting that the whole country just about will be dominated by TS's over the next 24 hours. :eek:

No the blue dots on that map are recorded thunderstorms-this evenings activity.
    The page you linked to is effectively their thursday analysis valid to 6am tomorrow with today

It was issued wenesday night but now has todays Ireland storms plotted on the map.

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Thu 19 Jul 2007 06:00 to Fri 20 Jul 2007 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Wed 18 Jul 2007 22:15s

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5725833270715474583

Ten minutes earlier the road in the second scene was bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5725833270715474583

Ten minutes earlier the road in the second scene was bone dry.

Similar to the M50 this morning. Between the Red cow and the toll was a downpour from hell.Wipers on full tilt but still couldn't see a thing,roads looking like a river and starting to flood.
    Got to the toll booth,still chucking it down, got to the Blanch slip road and the road was bone dry and the rain just stopped as if someone flicked a switch.
    It was still chucking it down behind me but it was like crossing an invisible line where this downpour didn't want to go.
    I've never gone from one extreme to another in such a short distance, usually it fades away.

• Advertisement

I heard it mentioned on the 10pm news on the radio that there was torrential rain somewhere in Co. Laois that led to flooding on some major roads.

Anyone from that area confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yep, my father mentioned it to me tonight that he heard there was pretty bad flooding in Mountrath, I think it was, this evening. That would certainly correspond alright to what I saw regarding the direction the storm headed and how it looked like they were getting it much worse over that way compared to what we got in Portlaoise (there was no rain here, just thunder and lightning).

Something nasty looking heading for the east coast. not sure if there is any thunder in it though, but it doesn't look very pleasent on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

We ran into a storm the eastern side of lake Geneve with 6 or 7 strikes and some quite big hail, yesterday morning. Some of the others actually became interested so I became the navigator and we looked for a good storm, I spotted a big one off in the distance, and we followed it nearly to Basel! The height of it was truly amazing, unfortunately the storm was moving away from us and once we got close the motorway ended or there was no roads at all. Eventually, I got us onto a motorway heading to Basel and leading straight to the centre of the storm. We didn’t get far though, we were approaching from behind where the downdraft was. As you would expect, with such a massive storm…there was also massive hail, as we approached, the torrential rain changed to massive hail, which started to pound the car. The traffic on the motorway stopped as the Swiss drivers tried to protect their cars under a bridge a bit further along on our side of the motorway, leaving us out in it. While the traffic completely stopped on the other side of the motorway, with no cars passing by at all, as they would have hit it much worse, heading straight into the downdraft while it was heading towards them, I have some great footage of the hail I think, I’ll try to get it uploaded. In the end we had to turn around because we needed to head back to Samoens, nearly 3 and a half hours away now. We stopped in Bern for dinner on the way back while a thunderstorm ragged outside, and then we ran into a lot more storms on the way back with plenty of lightning, it was mad, trying to film three storms at once, one south ,one north , and one west, but typically the camcorder’s battery ran out. We then ran into a supercell, i think, on lake geneve on the way back and I got proper pictures of the lightning and structure, with my camera:D, they're not bad for my second attempt at photographing lightning if i do say so myself. Then the hail and flash floods arrived to our side of the lake, and we had to leave, but it still wasn't over, we ran into another storm over Samoens when we got back which rumbled on untill 1:45 Much better than yesterday;) Will post alot of pics in the photography thread....a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

Lightning followed by crack of thunder within about 5 seconds here at D13 just after 9am. Was buying tickets on ticketmaster so just happened to be awake for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Thunder and lightning yesterday evening and it woke me this morning but there was one crack of thunder last night that shook the panes of glass in the windows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

That line of storms in central France has my name on it:p, time to re-charge the batteries
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en&map=Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Downpour of biblical proportations on the N7 at Dunkerrin/Moneygall at 14.00 today, road was almost aquaplaning.

No thunder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

That cell on the radar has hit Dublin now. Raining moderately to heavily right now and very dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Torrential rain just up the road here in Portmarnock now, bucketing down ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement