Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Rumbling near Roscrea now - very dark

Seven Worlds will Collide

Had some rumbles here too in south wicklow.
    From the sferics plots, though theres still some thunder about,it appears to have past it's peak.

No new storms are being created now but the old ones will continue to rumble on as they die.

Good half hour one that,seem to have passed now.
    Lots of thunder - torrential rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Quite a few loud claps and long, lingering rumbles here for about an hour or so from about 4.20/4.30pm onwards. Saw a couple of flashes of lightning light up the sky but they seemed fairly distant. I reckon this little "storm" didn't get any closer to here than a few miles. Heavy rainfall as well during that time.

Sky still looks quite threatening in places so if the CBs continue to build back up again during the evening we might, just might, see some more action here before the day is out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Nice vid! lol at the end:p

Seems to be a squall line down the center of the country atm pushing very slowly East.

• Advertisement

........just as I opened the door BOOM!!!!! FRIGGIN HELL........like a bomb went off in my face, there was a bright white/purple flash that confronted me as I opened the door and a deafening boom which was then followed by the loudest crack of thunder I ever heard:eek: :eek: that flash of lightening MUST have been only metres from me!! I nearly shat meself!! :eek: :(

I never EVER want to see thunder/lightening again!

You know, it's funny, that's the same kind of reason why I'm both fascinated by thunderstorms and scared of them at the same time. Had a couple of close calls like that when I was younger (the main one being when I was caught outside in a field once when I was a kid and a lightning strike touched down in the adjoining field! :eek:) and that's why I hate thunderstorms. In fact, when I was a kid and into my early teens, I was positively terrified of them, to be honest, as a result of those close calls when I was younger. As I got older, though, I started to enjoy them more..... as long as they were further away! ;):D They're just so powerful and amazing to watch, especially at night. The wonder of nature at work, I guess! :D So, as I said, I like watching lightning and thunderstorms when they're a good bit away, it's when they start getting closer that I start to get worried and a bit scared, even nowadays. :eek:

darkman2 wrote:
    Nice vid! lol at the end:p

Agree - cool vid.

Watch for 'peugeot engine flood damage' thread in Motors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Heres a couple of pics I took of the flash floods just after the heaviest of the rain had stopped:

EDIT: Very ominous looking sky to my SW, rumbling away in the distance.
    Great pics and video, it really was a river like you said earlier:eek:

A sunny/warmish evening here but everything's still soaking after the earlier downpours.

Wow, great video CroppyBoy. You weren't kidding with the river comment! :eek:

Though, I'm not so sure about your choice of music! ;) Could have been worse, though. Thankfully you didn't pick something camp and cheesey like 'It's Raining Men' or something! :eek: :D

Omimous looking sky starting to develop here again now, as well. I don't think we're finished with the thunder yet here this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

In fact, when I was a kid and into my early teens, I was positively terrified of them, to be honest, as a result of those close calls when I was younger. As I got older, though, I started to enjoy them more..... as long as they were further away! They're just so powerful and amazing to watch, especially at night. The wonder of nature at work, I guess! So, as I said, I like watching lightning and thunderstorms when they're a good bit away, it's when they start getting closer that I start to get worried and a bit scared, even nowadays.

I was the very same, petrefied of them when I was younger, I'd get in a panic if there was the slightest hint of thunder about. But then I started to enjoy them and sit out in the garden and watch them if it wasnt raining.......after today though, pheeww......I might have reverted back to my childhood again :D.

Cheers Darkman, rc28 and crowdedhouse, what a muppet in that car eh! Another one I didnt get on the vid was a golf that was doing doughnuts in the water!! They're like bloody kids, as soon as they hear theres a bit of water about they're out to play! :rolleyes:
    Though, I'm not so sure about your choice of music! Could have been worse, though. Thankfully you didn't pick something camp and cheesey like 'It's Raining Men' or something!

Haha....well it was either Supertramp, the Weather Girls, or Frank Sinatra......Sinatra was too happy and the Weather Girls........well.........you know...:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Nothing but a light shower in Wicklow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Banner_girl

blue skies and sunshine all day here, bit windy though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Huge clouds building up over Dublin 5.Got a few shots on me phone.

Picture

Also , some news from of Floods in South Dublin from Ireland.com

Tens of thousands of euro worth of damage has reportedly been caused to around 15 properties and the basement of a south Dublin pub this morning.

In a statement released this evening Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council said a team had spent the day responding to emergency calls in the Leopardstown and Sandyford area.

Frank Austin, Director of Services with the council said heavy localised rain caused flash flooding which resulted in the Maretimo stream overflowing at a number of points.

"A number of premises from Sandyford/Leopardstown to Carysfort in Blackrock were flooded," he said.

He said emergency crews remain on standby.

Flooding was just on the news there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Heres a short video of the flashfloods we had here in Carlow town....hope y'all like Supertramp :p

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=uW8bA7WEYLU

What the last person done in that video is actually a driving offence. hope you can get the reg number from the original video.

The video from the new report is now here:
    http://rte.ie/news/2007/0717/flooding.html
    It caused pretty bad damage, it must have been an unbelievable downpour to have created such a strong torrent in a matter of minutes, it was so strong that it turned cars around and knocked down a wall:eek: It's odd looking at the video when there is no water in sight in some of the pics but on the same day a river was barelling through those houses earlier!

Here's my first stab at time-lapse. Caught some crazy wind direction changes. The camera is facing south.
    Very good timelapse, the wind direction seems to change loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's an excellent video. I wonder what causes such strong wind direction changes... Probably related to tornado formation and squalls.

Sadly the radar picture is not so good. Just had a pretty heavy shower 10 minutes ago, and the radar shows more in a line to hit here. And they seem to be strengthening if anything as they reach this bit of the east coast!!:mad:

The dry day still remains elusive.

Yesterday was a pretty calm day here, just one or two downpours and no thunderous activity that I can remember. Looked from the top of the hill at dusk yesterday and saw a nice anvil over Co. Monaghan and another over south Co. Armagh and one a bit over halfway across the sea. Nothing spectacular though. Wicklow mountains looked cloudy but no anvils that I could tell of.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much calmer day today, its been mostly dry with a few drizzely bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote:
    much calmer day today, its been mostly dry with a few drizzely bits.

Anyone listening to 2FM - West Cork tornado reported

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yesterday danno? Have not heard anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The rain's not a downpour as I'm getting the northern tip of the line of showers, but it's still enough to make a niusance of itself. No thunder/lightning so far.

Carlow was the place to be yesterday, by the looks of it!

The following really puts our "thunderstorms" into perspective!
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/288946/1/.html
    40,000 lightning strikes in 16hours:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Fairly intense cloud about to pass over me now here in Blanchardstown.

(Sorry about the tree :o )

stp60001pl7.th.jpg

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Family holidays suck, no-one wants to go stormchasing, i was within maybe 20/30km's of this storm, in the red box, and instead of going towards it we had to go see some random church:(
    http://www.brayweather.com/images/france/eur_sfuk.gif
    http://www.brayweather.com/images/france/DSC_42400001.JPG
    Then we arrived back where we are staying(red dot on map) and there's another storm just passed and moving away, but no-one will chase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

lol,down with those other non weather loon family members of yours.:D you and the camera just run away next time.

Church,lol:D sounds fun.

All shower activity seemed to be non electric over here today and moreorless the same for tomorrow.Cape to be a bit higher tomorrow though so you never know.

trogdor wrote:
    Family holidays suck, no-one wants to go stormchasing, i was within maybe 20/30km's of this storm, in the red box, and instead of going towards it we had to go see some random church:(
    Lol, sounds exactly like one of my family holidays:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Or you could go to China where the storm chases the people.

trogdor wrote:
    http://www.brayweather.com/images/france/eur_sfuk.gif
    http://www.brayweather.com/images/france/DSC_42400001.JPG
    Then we arrived back where we are staying(red dot on map) and there's another storm just passed and moving away, but no-one will chase

*suggested way around this*

Trogdor-Dad
    Yes son
    Trogdor-need to book taxi to go immediately to the art exibition at the church of the most redeemed,it's about 30kms away.
    yes son how much?
    Trogdor-Couple of hundred euros-I'll pay you back promise.
    Yes Son , there you go when will you be back?
    Trogdor-Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Just getting a nice storm here in Nenagh - six bnags in the last ten mins.... looking back towards the Deveil's Bit a fair big cloud heading this way.

Funny, we've had much worse rain but no thunder this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement