Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ahh not a sausage in Galway. Dark clouds to the east and south most of the day but nothing coming over the city thanks to the south westerly.
    Ohh well some other time perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Earlier Snowbie was saying it was quiet in the south. Indeed it has been all day and still is. Blue skies with a scattering of cumulus. Not a sign of rain all day. Still the same and not a rumble all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Absolutely p*****g down here in west Kildare with thunder every 5 minutes or so. No breeze to speak of to move it on could be around for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    Got that and we did have lightning and thunder but only one ferocious clatter.
    Only when it passed did i here a faint rumble but that was obviously over you then.Good downpour though.

nilhg wrote:
    Absolutely p*****g down here in west Kildare with thunder every 5 minutes or so. No breeze to speak of to move it on could be around for a while.
    Could see the anvil on that from here and mighty impressive sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Storm just started here in Westmeath (Rochfortbridge). Very black sky and some nice thunder. Have no noticed any lightning yet. Looks like is coming from the Offaly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just reporting back on the earlier thunder "storm" (if you could even call it that! :rolleyes: :D ) in Portlaoise.

Just before 8 there was an almighty clap of thunder here, as I reported, and it had started to lash rain but it was still sunny to the north of the house here. It was only after I logged off and looked out the windows to the south and west that I saw the big, black sky that was producing the rain and thunder. We got another 4 or 5 big claps of thunder but that was about it, though it contined to lash rain for almost an hour or so. Not exactly what you'd call a "thunderstorm", as I said above. :D

I saw 3 flashes of intercloud/intracloud (I think it's called. Feel free to correct me! :D ) fork lightning almost directly overhead at one point so it was pretty close to here, maybe within half a mile perhaps. It was a weird thing to see, though, to have lightning flashing overhead, thunder crashing, rain pouring down....... and yet it was still sunny on the opposite side of the house! :confused: Come to think of it, I think I only ever saw something like that once before, about 17 or 18 years ago, where it was still sunny while there was a thunderstorm going. That one went on for a good few hours, though, as I remember compared to the few claps we got this evening.

Still a horrible looking sky to the north and west here right now, but I think that's just what we had earlier clearing away. The skies are clear to the south and east and that's roughly where the weather is coming towards us here so I think that's all the action were going to see in Portlaoise for the rest of the evening, unless something unusual springs up.

What we had earlier must have knocked out the Chorus somewhere along the way, though, 'cos I'm missing 'Prison Break'....... dammit! :mad: :D

Saruman, I wouldn't be surprised if what you're getting now is some of what we had about 2 hours ago. What we had earlier moved off to the north so it could well be that or maybe some other cells are springing up from that same clump of weather now, perhaps.

Pity Snowbie doesn't have his new detector yet so we could track all this stuff more accurately. Any more news for us regarding it yet, Snowbie? ;):D

It was shipped today.Prob wedensday/thursday ill get it.

Looks like Tristrame is experiencing a heavy shower already down there or close to him on radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Raining heavily enough here even though there's nothing on the radar., lots of small grey cumulus around- no convection yet as they have no definition.

Snowbie wrote:
    Looks like Tristrame is experiencing a heavy shower already down there or close to him on radar
    It's just west of me.
    Blue skies here :D but just 2 miles inland from here the shower stretches from Gorey right up to avoca.It's very black and you can see the rain pouring out of it.It's heading due north so it's unlikely to even spill a drop here.
    No thunder heard.

The areas under it will get a good drenching though as they have to wait for a 20 mile long shower to pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Convection blaring already here with big puffy cumulus towering high.

Today is going to be a thundery day in east and watch out for tornadic activity;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

Looks to be showers starting to bubble up now anyway. Looking better than yesterday I think so far. Can't see a bit here. Based in an office with a tiny window in Clondalkin today.

Where are you based Weathercheck?

Unlike yesterday the Mt Leinster to wicklow mts area seems to be spawning showers.
    That could indeed get interesting as the wind here has already swung south east so we are likely to have a convergence zone there.
    I'll see them but with a strong sea breeze like there is now, they'd have to be massive to get any further to the coast and nearer to me than the one that just passed.

Sferics are highly likely by early afternoon going on this excelent chart

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1211.png

I've always had time for the short range (12-18hrs) GFS

Note how most of the cape and lift avoids wexford though.

squonk wrote:
    Looks to be showers starting to bubble up now anyway. Looking better than yesterday I think so far. Can't see a bit here. Based in an office with a tiny window in Clondalkin today.

Where are you based Weathercheck?

I am in Portmarnock.

For 11am the clouds are really getting very high, today could be the best day for a proper TS for a long time, not often you see charts like that posted by Tristrame here in Dublin ;)

Convection being going all morning since about 6am.Towers springing up and covering about 5 octas of the sky here.
    Today is going to be a thundery day in east and watch out for tornadic activity
    Maybe in the more intense showers you might get the odd funnel forming from downdrafts but there is no shear or strong low level winds for anything else.

Some showers building, one just to my north and another to my southwest.

A few drops of rain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Clouds are EXTREMLY dark over leopardstown

Yep, the CBs are already starting to build over Laois. I reckon the midlands, east and south are quite possibly going to see some thundery action this afternoon and evening.

Tornadic (is "tornadic" even a proper word? :confused::D ) activity, though? Surely that would be a bit of a stretch, wouldn't it? :confused:

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Convection being going all morning since about 6am.Towers springing up and covering about 5 octas of the sky here.
    Maybe in the more intense showers you might get the odd funnel forming from downdrafts but there is no shear or strong low level winds for anything else.

Indeed some sea breezes may be beneficial ;)

Nah,only aid in convection.Give some wind convergence or sea breeze convergence only.Need strong low level shear and strong upper winds and theres no upper stuff.Sea breeze might aid in a funnel but ill doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭IANAL (hullaballoo's test a/c)

Thunder in Dublin atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Heavy showers here in D8 for the last hour or so. Just now had a few rumbles of thunder.

Was just looking at the useful links at the top of this thread. Is there a major difference between nowCast and this site; http://www.meteorologica.info/freedata_lightning.htm.
    I've used the meteorologica.info page for a while and found it good.

Well if sea breeze is doing anything to day its producing good convection over wicklow mtns.Some beefy showers going on there atm jut south of Dublin

Think I'm hearing a fumble here in Clondalkin. Very hard to hear though as lots of noise around and the rumbles seem faint. Dark cloud to my south.

Thunder getting going here,2 loud rumbles in quick succession.Havin heard thunder this early in a long time.

Edit:cape in the mid 800s by middle of the afternoon

Definitely a few rumbles out here now. Looks cloudy to the south and quite dark. Blue just beyond us heading towards Lucan.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Thunder getting going here,2 loud rumbles in quick succession.Havin heard thunder this early in a long time.

Edit:cape in the mid 800s by middle of the afternoon
    Heard quite a bit of thunder here too from the shower train just west.
    Yup tis is going to be very interesting for some of you.
    I think I'll have to storm chase and it's ripe for that.
    The sea breeze here is adding fuel to the storms just west and they're only a 10 minute drive away :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement