Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Who needs warm sunny weather. I'm playing with some time-lapse on my webcam here in work. Might catch a strike or two with any luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

Lots of thunder now over Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

v-deniso wrote:
    Lots of thunder now over Tallaght

Yes fairly decent cell there moving NNEwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Tristrame wrote:
    Heard quite a bit of thunder here too from the shower train just west.
    Yup tis is going to be very interesting for some of you.
    I think I'll have to storm chase and it's ripe for that.
    The sea breeze here is adding fuel to the storms just west and they're only a 10 minute drive away :D
    Showers are going bang on here on the coast while just offshore its clear blue.Pretty dark to my south and is just starting to tipp down.Sky now totally obscured.

Yep Snowbie it's amazing the line of clear blue, i'd say you could get some amazing pictures from a boat in the Irish sea of the coastline and CB's.

Big Shower pushing North now just to my south and west.

• Advertisement

From what I can see snowbiethe wind direction in mothmans is also a sea breeze thus further fueling the mountain convergence.
    There could be a right fire cracker by after noon and if the wind in Dublin remains South or south west you could have several good displays.

Even if it does swing a bit to the east up there, there are enough ingedients to your south to make these storms FAT enough to keep hitting the Dublin coast as they move north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Heavy downpour here now with huge drops again and about 5 rumbles of thunder so far, very dark clouds today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭squonk

Just started to pelt here in Clondalkin now, from that cell over Tallaght that's just reached us. No fireworks or rumbles yet that I can tell anyway.

Big shower nearby and the seabreeze has all but gone - it's eery.
    This one is closing in overhead as a result.
    It's got some mammatus looking honey comb clouds over head and a very sharp straight line edge to it.I'd be surprised if it doesn't go bang.

Give yerselves about another hour or two for the real fun (in theory) to start.
    Enjoy.

As I'll be away from the pc for a while I'm toying with the idea of plugging out the modem-so no live stats from here.
    It's just that if the fireworks cork as the conditions should allow them to, I don't want to be minus my broadband :/

Consistent thunder here every few moments, I know people in maynooth and dunshaughlin who are saying it's the same there but with flash flooding near maynooth. Heavy rain here.

Just as I type this a massive bright fork just streaked across the sky and 1second later an extremely loud clap of thunder, i'm logging off!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

All this action must be just west of me. Ive heard and seen nothing since this morning:( Luckily the wind direction is shifting more SW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

All the heavy rain is just bypassing me about a mile west.Almost here the rain falling,its that heavy,no rumbles as yet from this clump.

I've plugged back in the phone sockets and router again now as the worst of the t-storm passed to the north of me but I was out in the garden and I saw about 4 cloud to ground strikes and a couple of other cloud to clouds, just now the thunder from a nearby bolt shook the windows! Truly torrential rain now. I had the camera but only picked up the thunder rumbles on video as I only pressed record after I saw the flash(full memory card:mad: )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

great storm isnt it! Ive seen a couple of orangey looking forks myself and theres plenty of flash lightning, some very loud rumbles. The rain is very heavy but not quite as heavy and some on the insane showers we had a few weeks back.

Just constant rain here for the past hour now, kinda sucks

Wish I was at home this afternoon :(

Anyone got a lightening detector up and running? NowCast and the others don't seem to be doing the best job of picking up the t-storms around Meath/North Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Very interesting forecast from estofex, tornados/waterspout possible for you:D
    ...Ireland...

Significant low-level instability has been indicated by GFS within the flat low pressure area, with the 00Z Valentia profile being virtually unstable all the way from the ground up, with very weak winds near the surface. This is very favourable for land/waterspouts. To a lesser extent this is also true for the UK, but better near-surface convergence is forecast for Ireland, to provide vorticity to spin up.

And possible supercells for me:D
    ...E France into S Germany...

In this area there is 25-30 m/s deep layer shear and locally more than 200 m2/s2 SREH, but marginal instability. Isolated storms may form, that can develop as supercells with a chance of large hail and perhaps a severe gust.
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007071806_200707171031_2_stormforecast.xml
    Edit: can't say if there's been any thunder in Bray, but the station is getting some heavy rain, up to 23.1 mm/hr a few minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

Thunder coming from the West of Cork City at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

All electrics momentarily came to a halt here in Cork city centre!

Rain turning quite heavy here now.

Must be stated that it's only 2pm, things will probably reach a peak near 5pm

And keep banging till dusk.

Hope you enjoying your holiday Trogdor!

• Advertisement

The sun's making an appearance here. The clouds and activity here look tired tbh.

darkman2 wrote:
    The sun's making an appearance here. The clouds and activity here look tired tbh.

Indeed but fresh ammunition is currently exploding over the south mids and push Northeastwards... get this muck into the the Irish sea i say, activity exploding to action across southern areas.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/images/ukir_sat_200707171300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just after having two loud rumbles over head here in Carlow town....

EDIT: make that three....god damn it, I spend the past few minutes outside looking at the sky to see lightening, as soon as I come in theres another rumble! :rolleyes:

Edit again: Another very big flash, and long, loud rumble.......better switch off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Big Tone wrote:
    All electrics momentarily came to a halt here in Cork city centre!

Yeah, same here in the northside. Just starting to rain now.
    Thunder has stopped for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had the mother of all thunderstorms over our place (outside Sligo) yesterday.
    Storm, hail, flooding, the lot.
    Plus lightning struck nearby and fried the phone line (the socket exploded off the wall), the ADSL router and the computer.
    In the other room the lightning came down the power line and cooked the satellite receiver to bits. It looks like somebody went at it with an arc welder, nice big black mark on it and all.

Expensive bloody thunderstorm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

More on the way coming into maynooth at the minute :)

Not getting many reports here so I assume there is not much lightning around despite good sat pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

djhaxman wrote:
    More on the way coming into maynooth at the minute :)

1 rumble from a sky that looked really threatening, disaster...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A few rumbles in Naas and one flash at least, apparently there has been quite a bit of lighting in Carlow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement