Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Storms around Carlow are Dublin bound..

They look pretty good too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

quietened down alot here over past 2 hours and some warm sun but now its starting to get dark again to my west.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Convective inhibition is going on above us here.Very little surface warming is being prevented by this gloom over us and the air seems more stable than earlier.Showers are light and sky is obscured.
    This has to clear for strong convection to take over along the coast.Good signs early on today.Inland regions are the direct opposite of course.Might get a chance of a storm this way in the early evening if they drift here.

darkman2 wrote:
    All this action must be just west of me. Ive heard and seen nothing since this morning:( Luckily the wind direction is shifting more SW:D
    Heh it's shifting west here :D

Or more to the point it's all over the place and fairly calm.

The bulk of the storm/shower activity is inclined to move north north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Wow.......I'm back, here in Carlow town we are just after having an absolute downpour which has led to flash flooding......and I mean flash!! I never literally seen rainfall like it, within a couple of minutes it was like a river flowing down our street, with the end of our street flooded which made it impassible (I have video of it which I'll try to put together later)

We hadnt got much in the way of thunder/lightening when the rain started, so I being a brave fella grabbed the camera and made my way to the front door to record the rain fall........just as I opened the door BOOM!!!!! FRIGGIN HELL........like a bomb went off in my face, there was a bright white/purple flash that confronted me as I opened the door and a deafening boom which was then followed by the loudest crack of thunder I ever heard:eek: :eek: that flash of lightening MUST have been only metres from me!! I nearly shat meself!! :eek: :(

I never EVER want to see thunder/lightening again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

More ominous cloud now to my SW. Dark and has that unique thundery look:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

ust as I opened the door BOOM!!!!! FRIGGIN HELL........like a bomb went off in my face, there was a bright white/purple flash that confronted me as I opened the door and a deafening boom which was then followed by the loudest crack of thunder I ever heard:eek: :eek: that flash of lightening MUST have been only metres from me!! I nearly shat meself!! :eek: :(

I never EVER want to see thunder/lightening again!

Sounded like a close one alright!!!! Bit like this lad - he reckons this was a positive lightning strike

http://205.243.100.155/photos/Lightning/Lightling_Kane_Quinnell-1.JPG

djhaxman wrote:
    Sounded like a close one alright!!!! Bit like this lad - he reckons this was a positive lightning strike

http://205.243.100.155/photos/Lightning/Lightling_Kane_Quinnell-1.JPG

THATS the colors I seen!! perhaps a bit of orange too, but I didnt actually see the strike, this 'flash' just blinded me as I opened the door, my heart nearly stopped. I got one hell of a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

What remains of the South midlands storms is approaching Dublin. Any thunder there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭squonk

None here (Clondalkin). Has gotten very dark though. Seems quiet enough now. Just like a wet winter's day. It's gloomy.

Yes big storm to my west, wonder will it hit here?

Dark dark clouds

Flat calm here but really turbulent skies to my southwest and west.

Big flashes being racorded in the midlands

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

Please come to papa

First crack of thunder here in Clondalkin. Slow enough so far.

Someone from West Dublin on NW says there is a super thunderstorm going on there atm. Anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

Merrion Square (Dublin) and I just heard the loudest thunder in my life
    Myself and most of the office thought a bomb went off

BH

darkman2 wrote:
    Someone from West Dublin on NW says there is a super thunderstorm going on there atm. Anyone confirm?

No need to confirm it, those clouds do, there running slowly east.

Should arrive at here at some stage!

The clouds are violent.

babyhack wrote:
    Merrion Square (Dublin) and I just heard the loudest thunder in my life
    Myself and most of the office thought a bomb went off

BH

Thats good news for me! Everyone stay safe and remember if it gets too close, log off and dont go showering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Just had a few very loud rumbles of thunder and at least one flash here in Dublin 8 (James Street)! No rain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

It's been raining heavily here for ages now with the occasional rumble of thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

a few loud claps of thunder in the last few minutes in clondalkin, raining fairly heavy also.

The south westerly should steer them in to you weathercheck

Looks like a couple of strikes evry few minutes over kilkenny.

Wind is sw here now too so it's going to be difficult to escape those storms here.

The sky is mad black over the south wicklow mts by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Nice proper kind of rain is falling now,some large drops again.No booming yet.

Has cleared up to my west, kind of disappointing, still hoping for the Dub Storm to push over me if it hasn't petered out by then.

Heres a couple of pics I took of the flash floods just after the heaviest of the rain had stopped:

EDIT: Very ominous looking sky to my SW, rumbling away in the distance.

No storm or even rain here and the clouds are not looking threathening at all:rolleyes:

Clearing up here in Clondalkin now as well. I hope this keeps going for a while though. Are we likely to get some lightening into the night I wonder? Hope we do. Sounds like you had a dull enough day weathercheck. I don't feel so bad about having to come into work today now.

Yeah that storm never reached me and has disappated but more are forming behind in the midlands.

Keep a close eye too on any gust fronts that you see as attempts at funnel clouds are very likely.

Speaking of which theres something approaching from my sw and the wind is now southwest.

• Advertisement

Will look out for that but not much risk here for the moment! The sky looks wasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement