Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Thunderstorms a little bit here in Malahide. Power went out for about a second causing my 2 PCs to switch their merry selves off! Grr For some reason nothing else turned off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo, look to the ratoath direction that's where the thunder was coming from.
    Some nice cb's around here:
    P1010979 (Large).JPG-This was the storm in the ratoath direction where all the loud thunder was coming from and what gonzo heard.
    P1010969 (Large).JPG
    P1010954 (Large).JPG
    P1010981 (Large).JPG
    P1010983 (Large).JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Also radar looks quiet to the south.
    Good snaps rc.

P1010991 (Large).JPG
    Another one in a different post because you can only upload so many in one post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Lightning tends to disappear quicly as storms move out to sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nah Snowbie the 330 was a dodgy radar snap ;)

Im 99% sure of anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

Last bits here. Thnhk it's heading out to sea now but was impressive. Killed my machine here as well. Impressive afternoon so far.

Large drops falling here now, 2 rumbles of thunder.

General question here -newbyish but is it likely now that with so much standing water on the ground, the hot sun will breed even more convection and even more thunderstorms for the evening now?

btw. We've just had another massive rumble,, the sun is out and the rain is just about stopping. It's not going out without a fight this storm.

There is a big cell SSW of Dublin and the west has some very intense and prolonged cells. BTW tomorrow looks like its the East that will get the most:D

• Advertisement

Looks like I'm on the edge of a storm to my south, loads of thunder can be heard and still some very big drops but the real torrential stuff appears to be missing here, nice to hear the thunder but it's driving the 2 dogs mad.
    Edit; was just outside and there now appears to be a small cell north of me too over dunshaughlin and there's been a few rumbles from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

http://www.nowcast.co.uk/holmevalley/stormpic.jpg is showing some density of strikes in the middle of the country now.

More! There was a smaller cell just behind the main one that passed through tha'ts starting to give us more rain and a rumble so far.

Wow, some truly huge drops faling now, I'm not exaggerating when I say these are the largest rain drops I can remember ever seeing. Torrential downpour now, still massive drops.

EDIT: Loads of thunder now, one strike of lightning was directly overhead and the flash was visible, I had to unplug the phonelines for a few minutes knowing what can happen after last year when all the phone sockets and filrters exploded and nearly set fire to curtains. It looks like there's more heading my way, still lots of thunder audible:D

Is your storm localised rc28? Mine was. I could see the edge of the storm fromt he front and back of the house. If you're in SE Meath, then there might be some chance of it heading in this direction if it was a sufficently big cell.

Just noticed the 120 line on the graph on the lightening detector sites. Has anyone ever seen a storm with strikes go that high per minute? About 20 years ago there was a huge thunder storm one night that pretty much affected the entire country. Can anyone remember the strike rate on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tomorrow looks good for the east

Rtavn3011.png

squonk wrote:
    Just noticed the 120 line on the graph on the lightening detector sites. Has anyone ever seen a storm with strikes go that high per minute? About 20 years ago there was a huge thunder storm one night that pretty much affected the entire country. Can anyone remember the strike rate on that?
    Them strikes rates are sferics being detected not from one storm but from all storms in range.Still pretty low compared to the US which can capture over 100,000 strikes from storms in range with strike rates in the low thousands per minute.

Most i have recorded is 1500 per minute last year with a total of 16,500 from storms mostly in the UK in one day,which is still very low.Generally the french export MSC to the UK from time to time and have lots upon lots of strikes per min(up to 1000),while here we get pulse storms which are weak and be lucky if we get 5-10 a minute.

The severe storm back in 1985 would be close to the exports from France id imagine, before detector times.

squonk wrote:
    Is your storm localised rc28? Mine was. I could see the edge of the storm fromt he front and back of the house. If you're in SE Meath, then there might be some chance of it heading in this direction if it was a sufficently big cell.
    It seemed pretty localised but there appeared to be smaller cells from south of me to dunshaughlin(north of me) and each electrified. More to the west and sw now.

Activity seems to have died, none of the clouds have any of the definition they had earlier, sunny here since the last downpour, 19c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah there was some great thunder here today alright and a few flash's of lightning and very warm. its gone quiet now but still some very dark clouds goin around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

First shower of the day in dundalk and it's belting down. Oh there's a rap of thunder just as I click on the reply button....awesome. Cell to my west.

Very dark cell to my South/South East right now. Should be possible to see something in Malahide or around that area as well. No rumbles or anything so far that I can determine.

86.6mm/hr max rain rate from a downpour atm getting heavier again now.
    back up to 55mm/hr now 80mm/hr again.
    No thunder.
    Lol 91.4mm/hr,mountains produced finally.

First rumble from that cell to my south. It's approaching now, generally heading North. Will probably head out to sea after it passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Nice and sunny here in D8 - Was lovely day. Dry all day apart from a tiny shower. Some amazing cloudscapes all round but not here. And from what Snowbie is saying, it's going to be very wet when I get back home to D13!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Snowbie wrote:
    No thunder.

i think i got that earlier snowbie, im in Raheeny.some amount of rain in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

There is a very heavy thunderstorm down here a bout 10-15 miles west of tralee. The strikes have been very intense for the last while, and there is a huge amount of water after being dumped. Just after being down to river near which isn't far from breaking its banks, although it has stopped raining now.

Snowbie wrote:
    No thunder.

Got that and we did have lightning and thunder but only one ferocious clatter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Unbelieavable! The sun's shining here in Portlaoise but it's pelting down and we just had a loud clap of thunder. Nuts! :D

Logging off now, will report later when it's passed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement