Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

This.

When your only experience is with lessons and an instructor, you are much less likely to develop bad habits and confuse confidence with competence.

I passed the B test without having a car.
    I passed the C test without having a rigid truck.
    I passed the CE test without having an articulated truck.
    I passed the D test without having a bus.
    I passed the A test without having a motorcycle.

Same as yourself bar the car and bike which I did have

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Times make the person and all, I have been brought out of my break from driving and got insured on my Dad's car so I can take him to an appointment for an operation (as he is not allowed to operate motor vehicles the day of). Doing the hour drive on roads I have never driven on before really opens your eyes to the kind of faults you make every day, you don't notice them when you're learning a test route and driving the same old roads every day. I'm feeling a lot better about driving at the moment and I think I have a real chance of getting a stab at it and passing the test in 2021.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

zepman wrote: »
    Don't do it. Even if you don't care about the fact that it is illegal, you should care about the fact that it is dangerous (especially when you're incurring so many serious and dangerous faults on the test).

Don't get me wrong. I agree that it is an uphill struggle if you're not getting any practice between lessons. My first driving test attempt was in 2013, which I failed. I realised at that point that I wouldn't be able to pass the test without frequent practice between lessons, but I had no sponsor at that time. So, I gave up...until early 2019 when I finally had someone (a workmate) who was happy to help me get some practice. I bought a car with his help, got a few more lessons, and went on short practice drives a couple of days a week between lessons. This helped me pass my second driving test attempt only two months later.

Over the years, there had been people "advising" me to just buy a car to drive on my own between lessons and telling me I'd be grand. I'm glad I didn't give in, because when I did start going on practice drives with my workmate last year, there were so many situations that would have proven fatal had I been on my own. For example, I almost jumped a red light once because the road immediately ahead was clear and I was looking too far ahead, thereby failing to notice even the presence of the traffic lights. It wasn't until he started going, "stop, stop" that I noticed them and slammed the brakes just in time.

It isn't worth putting yourself and others at risk. Besides, if you have a look around the forum here, you will see that a good few posters have passed on lessons alone.

I do get that tbh and if things were more normal Would just take more lessons and wait it out. But at the minute I can't even book a lesson without having a test date, so the next time I'd get to sit in a car again it would be "cold" having not done so since the test. Waste the first lesson or two basically warming up again and the trying to fit lessons around working/ burning annual leave where that's not possible. It's a nightmare tbh and to still be at a massive disadvantage anyway as only getting to drive in lessons. If it ever works at all, I could be looking at months of waiting and lesson/test cost stretching into thousands and maybe not properly getting the hang of it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

I do get that tbh and if things were more normal Would just take more lessons and wait it out. But at the minute I can't even book a lesson without having a test date, so the next time I'd get to sit in a car again it would be "cold" having not done so since the test. Waste the first lesson or two basically warming up again and the trying to fit lessons around working/ burning annual leave where that's not possible. It's a nightmare tbh and to still be at a massive disadvantage anyway as only getting to drive in lessons. If it ever works at all, I could be looking at months of waiting and lesson/test cost stretching into thousands and maybe not properly getting the hang of it at all.

I’ve been in a similar situation to you and the system really doesn’t help those who find it hard to get practice in. I gave up driving lessons three times in the past because I just wasn’t finding enough progression between lessons without touching a car in between. Now that I’ve managed to rope a sponsor into the odd practice run my confidence has grown exponentially. Not passed the test yet but I feel I’m close to it.

Getting this practice in can be a real chore though. I understand that the laws were revised years ago to make the roads safer. However, I was considering the same as you (going on short illegal drives on my own as a last resort) before I found a solution. And I can imagine plenty of people are doing this currently as they feel they have no other option and this is made worse at the minute with the long wait list for tests and lessons.

It’s probably been discussed to death and I’ve seen various solutions thrown around elsewhere before. But I feel as though once you’ve completed your EDT you should get a slightly enhanced learner permit that lets you drive on roads up to 60kmh at off-peak times alone, or some variation of that. It could be looked at as producing better drivers in many ways, as by the time they’ve passed their test they’ll have done way more practice than the average person who probably does 30-50 hours max before they sit/pass and go onto dual carriageways and motorways. If you could go out alone with restrictions after EDT you could rack in way more time than that. I know if I was allowed I’d be out practicing in quiet areas way more than I have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Viewing it as a daily occurrence can also lead to complacency. Many people confuse confidence with competence. Confident drivers can often lack competence.

That sort of complacency is very unlikely to happen to a student who is having regular driving lessons unless they have a terrible instructor who doesn't do his job.

Instead, the 10 minutes of daily driving brings fluency to your movements. It also normalises driving and decreases anxiety. All of those things are essential to passing your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Galbin wrote: »
    That sort of complacency is very unlikely to happen to a student who is having regular driving lessons unless they have a terrible instructor who doesn't do his job.

Instead, the 10 minutes of daily driving brings fluency to your movements. It also normalises driving and decreases anxiety. All of those things are essential to passing your test.

The key though is with a sponsor because without you may be doing things wrong and can't be corrected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It's hard in these times, but getting out with someone other than your sponsor is good too (when you're comfortable enough). I was doing all my practice and general tipping around the shops etc with my dad, who was there giving me directions, telling me I was clear on the left, take that parking space etc. What I needed was an impartial person in the car, so a friend was very good to come over to me a few times, and then I drove us to get a coffee. She wasn't giving me any pointers, I had to know how to get where we were going, and of course we were having a chat too.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    The key though is with a sponsor because without you may be doing things wrong and can't be corrected.

I wasn't talking about going to the shops or even on the main road. I was talking about tipping around your quiet estate for 10 minutes every evening. Made *all* the difference to me. I drove on the public roads with qualified drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Failed on first attempt in Cork - Wilton. I'm absolutely raging.
    Had 4 grade 2s, all in separate categories.
    One grade 3 on the LAST roundabout before the test centre. I was going for 3rd exit, fella cut right across me from the 1st exit, I slowed and followed behind him. Tester said I didn't see him and , except I did, and 'almost crashed into him' despite the fact I gave him space to move. I'm ****ing furious. He said to me, 'You would have passed easily if not for that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭QJJQJDE

That is absolutely rage inducing. Would he not have actually given a bit of leeway considering the waiting times on the tests? At this stage it feels like a plot to get people off the road to lower emissions or something lol.

I feel bad for you, I know the rage well myself. My first attempt did not go half as smoothly as yours did, so at least when you re-take the test (probably next summer, if waiting lists are anything to go by) you'll fly through it. Don't let it get you down, best thing after an awful fail like that is to get behind the wheel as soon as you can to regain your confidence.

Few things feel as bad as a failed driver's test :/

• Advertisement

QJJQJDE wrote: »
    That is absolutely rage inducing. Would he not have actually given a bit of leeway considering the waiting times on the tests? At this stage it feels like a plot to get people off the road to lower emissions or something lol.

I feel bad for you, I know the rage well myself. My first attempt did not go half as smoothly as yours did, so at least when you re-take the test (probably next summer, if waiting lists are anything to go by) you'll fly through it. Don't let it get you down, best thing after an awful fail like that is to get behind the wheel as soon as you can to regain your confidence.

Few things feel as bad as a failed driver's test :/
    Thanks very much. I was incredibly disappointed with the attitude of the tester - very abrupt/dramatic in his description of what happened.
    He said the person was in lane 2 (I was in lane 3) then cut across me. But he wasn't. He came from the first exit and cut across me. I saw him, he very much did not drive beside me.

Anyways, I'm leaving myself simmer down for a bit. I can drive and hopefully the second attempt will go smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭QJJQJDE

Thanks very much. I was incredibly disappointed with the attitude of the tester - very abrupt/dramatic in his description of what happened.
    He said the person was in lane 2 (I was in lane 3) then cut across me. But he wasn't. He came from the first exit and cut across me. I saw him, he very much did not drive beside me.

Anyways, I'm leaving myself simmer down for a bit. I can drive and hopefully the second attempt will go smoother.

I'm on the chopping block tomorrow morning myself. 2nd attempt. Not sure what result I'm expecting but sure I'll try my best all the same. Definitely simmer down, but as Leo said back in March, do not get complacent :P

One grade 3 on the LAST roundabout before the test centre. I was going for 3rd exit, fella cut right across me from the 1st exit, I slowed and followed behind him. Tester said I didn't see him and , except I did, and 'almost crashed into him' despite the fact I gave him space to move. I'm ****ing furious. He said to me, 'You would have passed easily if not for that'.

Stuff like that annoys me. Whenever I see a learner or someone doing a test, I give them a wide berth as I wouldn't want to mess up their test in any way, shape, or form. Yet this idiot just caused you to fail.

Can I ask, was he older? I just wonder why when the test is so strict there are still idiots like him on the road!

Galbin wrote: »
    Stuff like that annoys me. Whenever I see a learner or someone doing a test, I give them a wide berth as I wouldn't want to mess up their test in any way, shape, or form. Yet this idiot just caused you to fail.

Can I ask, was he older? I just wonder why when the test is so strict there are still idiots like him on the road!
    I didn't even get to see him tbh cos he got so far ahead of me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

This is prob stone mad tbh but a test date came up for 10 days time. I've bought an automatic car and got insured on it. My instructor told me they are not available before that date. I have taken it anyway and going to practice myself and give it a shot in the knowledge that will likely fail, but might pass and only be out €85 to book again. Will see what happens. I think the auto will cure a lot of the errors. No more stalling/worrying about what gear am in at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Sarsfield roundabout? I never did a test out of Wilton thank god

Sarsfield roundabout? I never did a test out of Wilton thank god
    Nah Wilton roundabout by the CUH - I'd hardly count Sarsfield roundabout as its just straight through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Keep the head up. It really depends on the tester and their mood sometimes. If they want to fail you, they find a way. I failed on the first attempt too, got it on the 2nd but he was really snarky pointing out really strange areas where I could have failed. It's frustrating but you'll get there, you're not the first and wont be the last.

It was 2 years ago now, but I rang them every day hassling for a faster resit due to my work being away from home. They were refusing on the phone point blank but eventually they called me and gave me a retest 3 weeks after the first attempt. Sooner you resit the better I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Failed today after a 9 month wait. Devastated.

10 grade 2s, no grade 3s or grade 1s. Nerves got the better of me and my turns were woeful, swan necked everywhere.

Feel a bit aggrieved as the tester was ten minutes late which didn’t help the nerves and had me thinking was I in the right place or had the RSA made a mistake. Also, for the reverse around corner, I was told to pull up right behind a jeep that was parked just head of the junction. I barely had space to move back before I had to start the turn. Feel a bit hard done by on that point, I actually had to ask the tester if he really wanted me to park behind that jeep as there was such little space.

But ill try not to make excuses, I wasn’t good enough on the day. Just sucks as I’ve had terrible luck with the wait for a test and I’m embarrassed as I thought switching to automatic would see me pass first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Goose76 wrote: »

10 grade 2s, no grade 3s or grade 1s. Nerves got the better of me and my turns were woeful, swan necked everywhere.

Feel a bit aggrieved as the tester was ten minutes late which didn’t help the nerves and had me thinking was I in the right place or had the RSA made a mistake. Also, for the reverse around corner, I was told to pull up right behind a jeep that was parked just head of the junction. I barely had space to move back before I had to start the turn. Feel a bit hard done by on that point, I actually had to ask the tester if he really wanted me to park behind that jeep as there was such little space.

But ill try not to make excuses, I wasn’t good enough on the day. Just sucks as I’ve had terrible luck with the wait for a test and I’m embarrassed as I thought switching to automatic would see me pass first time.

hard luck if i can ask what where the most of the grade twos on? have mine next week excited nervous been driving the test route area for three weeks every day, really want to pass the wait is so long, you can do it next time that’s not a bad result !!! good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

2 grade two marks off passing the test today in Raheny. Apparently all the errors happened in the first ten minutes of the test, so if me nerves weren't at me I would have passed!
    Have to say though, the tester was absolutely bang on, very polite and reassuring. Time to re apply and try again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

9 months?!
    Is there a crazy wait for tests at the moment?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's about 6 months now, but +3 for people who applied in March due to everything being shut down for a while

9 months?!
    Is there a crazy wait for tests at the moment?

My instructor messed up and didn’t log all my lessons online. So when I applied in February, I actually hadn’t “properly” applied as my final lesson wasn’t logged until September due to an error on the instructors part.

Whole experience very disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Same happened on my test pulled up behind a post van that was parked practically on the bend and he asked me to do the reverse there...

Just as a slight aside, anybody know how long it takes the RSA to send out the email with your result and marks?

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Just as a slight aside, anybody know how long it takes the RSA to send out the email with your result and marks?

It was about 40 minutes after I left the test centre for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭woody84

Leftyflip wrote: »

Got mine about 10 mins after I left the centre

woody84 wrote: »
    Got mine about 10 mins after I left the centre

Might have to give them a call so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

failed mine yesterday

ugh i got fairly unlucky traffic was insane really frustrating to be honest put in so much work the last few weeks getting up at 6 so i can drive with the parents in the car to there work and staying in town till end of work. Failed by 11grade 2s. it was a nice tester to be honest, he said my observation was very good all round bar the reverse where the instructor got out and i didn’t see him show the STOP hand as i was at the end of the reverse adjusting to sit near the curb. i failed becuase i thought i got a grade three for going over a pedestrian crossing where the right has the right of way and being rush hour and it was the busiest i’ve ever seen it i seen a gap on the right and looked to make sure there were no people coming close but unfortunately on the left it’s blind you can’t see people till the last 10 yards and low and behold a ton of students came and then as i was pulling out going left (where the main traffic on the right go straight) a big line of cars came i was on on the crossing already over it and students had to go around the car then i was there for a few mins as there was no suitable gap ( i thought id get marked for progress etc) and no one would beckon me at all, after this tbh my driving kinda went was really deflated if it wasn’t for the really busy traffic i would normally be fine there, stalled 3 times then going up this hill junction after it. got 2 marks under accelerator i knew i had this problem not setting the gas properly, instructor said i had a good chance i would pass he said him self the traffic was awful and the situation i got in was bad, to be honest i wasn’t nervous at all until i got in that sticky situation it’s like the merging/diverging road. tester said i was fairly good and basically my driving went to sh**e after that, any tips or anything really deflated another three weeks of getting up! booked in for 11am on january so should be more quite.
    it was a good experience but i think i was unlucky with the situation i reacted badly to it, should have done better. got another mark grade two for handbrake don’t know what that was for any idea? few marks dotted around but mainly need to get on top of the accelerator problem/handbrake any tips for this ? i have bad dispracia and find it hard to adjust my foot on the accelerator to get the revs up to between 1.5k ish

cheers

Advertisement