Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

2nd time failure, I was completely beside myself with nerves, shaking legs and hit a bush parking in the test centre before the test even started! and the car i was using started making this grinding noise in first gear, of course the tester wont know if thats me or the car! 12 grade 2, at least I had no grade 3 this time.. got 4 in observation which is annoying I thought I had that sussed. Gonna see about taking some anti anxiety medication for the next time as I'm a decent driver when I'm relaxed, I rush things when I'm not relaxed

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭QJJQJDE

Lockheed wrote: »
    2nd time failure, I was completely beside myself with nerves, shaking legs and hit a bush parking in the test centre before the test even started! and the car i was using started making this grinding noise in first gear, of course the tester wont know if thats me or the car! 12 grade 2, at least I had no grade 3 this time.. got 4 in observation which is annoying I thought I had that sussed. Gonna see about taking some anti anxiety medication for the next time as I'm a decent driver when I'm relaxed, I rush things when I'm not relaxed

I've the exact same problem with anxiety. I was trying to force the gears and was shakey with my accelerator and between them I got 5 grade 2's. Still would've failed regardless as my observation was pretty poor, again due to nerves.

I can honestly say that in my driving test what I showed was nothing short of dangerous driving. In daily driving I don't do any of these mistakes. Always check my blind spots, always am smooth on acceleration and gears.

Unfortunately it's how you drive during the test that matters. As for my nerves I'm just hoping to be calmer for my second attempt as I have an idea of what the test is like now. If you can get some non-drowsy medication prescribed by a doctor I'd imagine they would help you soothe the nerves, so it could be a good route to go.

Re-book the test as soon as possible, better to get back on the horse asap I've been told. Hoping for my second test to come before October, on a cancellation, but no luck yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Lockheed wrote: »

Sorry to hear about your result.

Some things stand out to me;

The 4 marks for observation alone was enough to fail as you probably know.

I wouldn’t recommend taking medication for anxiety and then driving, it can impair your judgement. A tester can refuse to test you if they are of the opinion you are under the influence.

As for the decent driver bit, that’s a matter of personal opinion, every single person you meet whether they pass or fail a test will tell you the same about themselves.

I wish you well going for your next test.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭QJJQJDE

As for the decent driver bit, that’s a matter of personal opinion, every single person you meet whether they pass or fail a test will tell you the same about themselves.

Best way to improve driving skill is to not lie to yourself, and take on board any advice or criticism you can get I think.

No better advice/criticism than a fail sheet from the driving test. Gives you an exact mistake rundown that caused the fail and what exactly to improve upon for the next go

Sorry to hear about your result.

Some things stand out to me;

The 4 marks for observation alone was enough to fail as you probably know.

I wouldn’t recommend taking medication for anxiety and then driving, it can impair your judgement. A tester can refuse to test you if they are of the opinion you are under the influence.

I wish you well going for your next test.

the plan is probably take medication for general anxiety day-to-day and then hopefully I'll be in a calmer mindset for the test, i wont be taking them the morn of the test of course. thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

QJJQJDE wrote: »
    Best way to improve driving skill is to not lie to yourself, and take on board any advice or criticism you can get I think.

No better advice/criticism than a fail sheet from the driving test. Gives you an exact mistake rundown that caused the fail and what exactly to improve upon for the next go

Completely. Lying to ones self is the start of any downfall.

You’d be amazed at the amount of people who repeatedly fail their test but can’t understand why, it’s always the testers fault, just like the guy in Cork who failed 20 times

Completely. Lying to ones self is the start of any downfall.

You’d be amazed at the amount of people who repeatedly fail their test but can’t understand why, it’s always the testers fault, just like the guy in Cork who failed 20 times

It's not me that's saying that, it was what my last instructor said. Wish I was lying to myself lol, probably would have been less of a heartbreak for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

First time doing test
    Unfortunately I'm posting here so I Failed ha
    12 Grade 2s, but no Grade 3s at least
    5 were to do with positioning, 1st Roundabout made a balls by being in between inside and outside lane got all flustered, 1 turning Right and 3 Turning Left (couple of Swan Necks)
    Got 1 for Turnabout Competency which was annoying because that's never been an issue for me before, just nerves
    Got some for Gears, Accelaration and Road Conditions that I need to work on
    Reverse Around Corner and Hillstart were grand

The examiner was sound, put me at ease and was encouraging afterwards by saying I showed alot of nice safe driving but just need to build up bit more experience and to mainly work on my positioning at junctions

I've booked again and will continue to practice in the city when I can, as I live out the countryside so I don't do it everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Failed today - completely my own fault.

Feel like such a failure and my self esteem has really taken a hit. I’d say when I’m driving I’m normally a very confident driver but I just fell apart on the test like I did when I was younger. So upset and annoyed at myself.

Everyone else is like oh it’s so easy - which is easy to say when it’s all done.
    Haven’t got my sheet so I’ve no idea but I think I defo got a grade 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

Feel like such a failure and my self esteem has really taken a hit. I’d say when I’m driving I’m normally a very confident driver but I just fell apart on the test like I did when I was younger. So upset and annoyed at myself.

Everyone else is like oh it’s so easy - which is easy to say when it’s all done.
    Hard luck, hopefully it’s just a bit more experience for next time and you pass. I know many people that seemed like great drivers and failed but it can be as much luck on the day as anything sometimes I’ve heard.

Do they not always hand over your sheet to see the marks? Also, do they wait to tell you the result until you get back in the test centre, or in the car? Sitting the test soon so just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Rosstopher wrote: »
    Do they not always hand over your sheet to see the marks? Also, do they wait to tell you the result until you get back in the test centre, or in the car? Sitting the test soon so just curious.

You are given a sheet alright but it doesn't really tell you how many faults you got just what areas you got faults in
    They will email you the result breakdown though later that day
    They will tell you if you passed or failed back in the test center afterwards, not the car

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldnt let it get you down. Sometimes it can be down to luck in what lies ahead of you on the route. What was the feedback from the tester in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Rosstopher wrote: »
    Hard luck, hopefully it’s just a bit more experience for next time and you pass. I know many people that seemed like great drivers and failed but it can be as much luck on the day as anything sometimes I’ve heard.

One would think that with more than 10 years experience I’d have been ok but I just froze up. I’m not good with practical exams. I’m not happy with myself but feedback from tester was welcomed tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GlobalSun

Hi all,

I failed my test twice in Raheny (the second time around was a joke).

I felt as though the second test was pure sabotage. I sat the test a year ago. We got into the car and I was very nervous. Then the tester asked me about some noise emanating from the car (my instructor's car). I never noticed any strange sound, but the tester kept asking me about it throughout the whole test. After about 20 minutes, it was pretty obvious I was failing the test (hit the curb and changed the route). Yet, the tester wanted to add fuel to the fire and had me driving around Raheny for an hour! The test is meant to last 40 minutes top. I kept going round in circles. My instructor was worried something had happened.

When we got back to the test center, the tester asked me if I had already driven in another European country (if I had a license elsewhere in Europe, why would I be sitting my test here?) as he saw on my ID I was born elsewhere. I said "no" then he said I was confused about driving on the left (not true, drove with various instructors/schools and sat a 1st test - this was never mentioned by anyone). Then he said, as soon as we got into the car, he knew it was a fail because the car was not road worthy but as I had paid, he didn't want me to not sit the test. An absolute joke. If the car was not road worthy, instead of putting the both of us in danger & have me drive for longer than the test allows, how about simply cancelling the test altogether?

I know nothing about cars & it wasn't even my car. I only assumed it was in fine condition, especially as apparently, some other pupil sat his test with the same car the week prior at the same test center.

I'm not sitting my test in Raheny again after 2 failed attempts. I'd like to book a test in Dublin (as we can't go anywhere), would Finglas be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lavdogg

GlobalSun wrote: »
    Hi all,

I felt as though the second test was pure sabotage. I sat the test a year ago. We got into the car and I was very nervous. Then the tester asked me about some noise emanating from the car (my instructor's car). I never noticed any strange sound, but the tester kept asking me about it throughout the whole test. After about 20 minutes, it was pretty obvious I was failing the test (hit the curb and changed the route). Yet, the tester wanted to add fuel to the fire and had me driving around Raheny for an hour! The test is meant to last 40 minutes top. I kept going round in circles. My instructor was worried something had happened.

When we got back to the test center, the tester asked me if I had already driven in another European country (if I had a license elsewhere in Europe, why would I be sitting my test here?) as he saw on my ID I was born elsewhere. I said "no" then he said I was confused about driving on the left (not true, drove with various instructors/schools and sat a 1st test - this was never mentioned by anyone). Then he said, as soon as we got into the car, he knew it was a fail because the car was not road worthy but as I had paid, he didn't want me to not sit the test. An absolute joke. If the car was not road worthy, instead of putting the both of us in danger & have me drive for longer than the test allows, how about simply cancelling the test altogether?

I know nothing about cars & it wasn't even my car. I only assumed it was in fine condition, especially as apparently, some other pupil sat his test with the same car the week prior at the same test center.

I'm not sitting my test in Raheny again after 2 failed attempts. I'd like to book a test in Dublin (as we can't go anywhere), would Finglas be a better option?

That is very tough break, isn't part of the test that the examiner inspects the car and checks if it is safe? What did the instructor say?

I am waiting to try my test a 3rd time, its such a money racket and stressful process. Previius 2 attempts were my own fault.

Best of luck next time around

Lavdogg wrote: »
    That is very tough break, isn't part of the test that the examiner inspects the car and checks if it is safe? What did the instructor say?

I am waiting to try my test a 3rd time, its such a money racket and stressful process. Previius 2 attempts were my own fault.

Best of luck next time around

He didn't inspect the car. I can appreciate that if he felt as though the car was not road worthy as soon as I started driving, but he could have just stopped the test right there and cancelled it altogether. It's not about the fact that the car might not have been road worthy, it's about claiming the car was not safe yet take me on an hour-long test (way longer than the regular test duration) just to prove a point and waste my money.

The instructor disputed it and said it was a farce. I stopped taking lessons with that instructor anyway as he increased the price of the pre-test drive & car hire on the spot as I was waiting for my test to begin. The fee was €120 (per the previous pre-test drive/car hire) and I had €150. When I told him I didn't have €120, but fine if he has change, he said the fee was €150. It was never €150 and he never communicated a change in pricing. Ridiculous from both angles. That test was doomed.

Thanks, we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hi all,

only slightly. Both raheny and finglas are in the worst 5 places to do your test.

only slightly. Both raheny and finglas are in the worst 5 places to do your test.

Is there any place around Dublin that has a decent pass rate? I was thinking of Kildare originally, but due to the restrictions, it's a dead end.

Is there any place around Dublin that has a decent pass rate? I was thinking of Kildare originally, but due to the restrictions, it's a dead end.

you can see the pass rates here https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Driving-Test-Centre/Pass-Rates/

Tallaght has the best pass rate in dublin but even then only barely over 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

Unfortunately failed on Wednesday. Was feeling relatively confident leading up to it but the nerves hit me like a tonne of bricks on the day, made some small but silly mistakes that I hadn’t made in ages.

One other mistake I think I made was that I had my final lesson well over a week before the test. Should have done one closer as I’ve heard it’s good way to sharpen up ahead of it. But that’s just looking for excuses I suppose. I probably just wasn’t quite ready.

Another long wait for a test to come probably in 2021. Going to keep up the practice and I’m hoping that now I know what to expect, that I’ll be less nervous next time. Best of luck to anyone sitting a test soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

you can see the pass rates here https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Driving-Test-Centre/Pass-Rates/

Tallaght has the best pass rate in dublin but even then only barely over 50%

Interesting list. Wonder what's going on in Raheny, 38.77% pass rate!

nj27 wrote: »
    Interesting list. Wonder what's going on in Raheny, 38.77% pass rate!

The roads are either really busy or narrow with parked cars, occasionally on both sides of the road. a ridiculous amount of speed bumps as well. You can see one of the routes here. The video is old so the route might have changed.

https://adidriving.ie/driving-test-routes/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Failed this morning. 3 Grade 3s so can't complain too loudly. 20+ Grade 2s as well.

It's an uphill struggle quite frankly, if you have no sponsor/accompanying driver and rely completely on paid lessons for experience. The tester pretty much said as much, most of the errors were down to lack of experience, so damned for doing the right thing and not just buying a car and driving away between lessons.

Will try again but I think the only thing going to get me there is to buy a car and live outside the law a bit in the intervening period.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

It's an uphill struggle quite frankly, if you have no sponsor/accompanying driver and rely completely on paid lessons for experience. The tester pretty much said as much, most of the errors were down to lack of experience, so damned for doing the right thing and not just buying a car and driving away between lessons.

Will try again but I think the only thing going to get me there is to buy a car and live outside the law a bit in the intervening period.

I got my licence in July 2019, but am popping on here because I was in your shoes until autumn 2018. I simply could not get the confidence or the natural flow of seeing driving as a normal everyday thing like brushing your teeth until I got a car. I wasted time trying to learn from lessons, and would strongly advise getting your own car. You can get great deals on cars on done deal of all places.

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. It's just near impossible to be relaxed and smooth enough for the test unless you have daily access to your own car or someone else's car. Personally, once I got my car I drove around my estate for 15 mins every night and that gave me the confidence and ease around seeing it as a normal routine. Where are you based? I would be happy to help you out if you are near me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Galbin wrote: »
    I got my licence in July 2019, but am popping on here because I was in your shoes until autumn 2018. I simply could not get the confidence or the natural flow of seeing driving as a normal everyday thing like brushing your teeth until I got a car. I wasted time trying to learn from lessons, and would strongly advise getting your own car. You can get great deals on cars on done deal of all places.

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. It's just near impossible to be relaxed and smooth enough for the test unless you have daily access to your own car or someone else's car. Personally, once I got my car I drove around my estate for 15 mins every night and that gave me the confidence and ease around seeing it as a normal routine. Where are you based? I would be happy to help you out if you are near me.

Thanks, that's very reassuring. I know I made an absolute games of reversing round the corner and stalled at a roundabout approach (3rd gear instead of 1st) but the annoying thing is I know I can do it but the cost and time involved with just going with lessons and then still not getting regular enough practice is a killer.

Like you say , even a short run once or twice a day will give more "feel" for the controls. I'm in Waterford, actually saw a nice little thing for good money locally, got a reasonable insurance quote for it and gonna check it out now tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Thanks, that's very reassuring. I know I made an absolute games of reversing round the corner and stalled at a roundabout approach (3rd gear instead of 1st) but the annoying thing is I know I can do it but the cost and time involved with just going with lessons and then still not getting regular enough practice is a killer.

Like you say , even a short run once or twice a day will give more "feel" for the controls. I'm in Waterford, actually saw a nice little thing for good money locally, got a reasonable insurance quote for it and gonna check it out now tomorrow.

One thing I learned is that the reverse manoeuvre is only one part of the test, and as long as you don't crash into the kerb you can make a haimes of it and just get one Grade 2.

I think the biggest thing with your own car is that driving for even 10 mins every day makes your mind view driving as just a daily occurrence like brushing your teeth or eating lunch. For me, it made all the difference as by the time I passed I was completely over the test. IMO, you kinda need to be sick of the whole thing and not be bothered to pass. :)

P.S. Sadly I am too far from you to be of any practical use. Waterford is hours away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wp_rathead wrote: »
    ...They will tell you if you passed or failed back in the test center afterwards, not the car
    The first time I did the artic test (years ago) I made a stupid and potentially dangerous mistake in Drumcondra. The tester closed his clipboard and threw it up on the dasboard of the truck. Enough said! It was very demoralising having to continue for another hour or so.
    Lavdogg wrote: »
    ... isn't part of the test that the examiner inspects the car and checks if it is safe? ...
    The examiner does a short visual inspection of the exterior of the vehicle. They don't do an engine inspection.
    ....Both raheny and finglas are in the worst 5 places to do your test.
    I did tests in five categories in Finglas. Never had any problems - when I failed, I deserved to fail. (That said, I can't compare it with any other test centre).
    Galbin wrote: »
    .... driving for even 10 mins every day makes your mind view driving as just a daily occurrence....
    Viewing it as a daily occurrence can also lead to complacency. Many people confuse confidence with competence. Confident drivers can often lack competence.

.... the tester asked me if I had already driven in another European country (if I had a license elsewhere in Europe, why would I be sitting my test here?) ....
    He asked if you had driven in another European, not if you had a licence from another European country.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Failed this morning. 3 Grade 3s so can't complain too loudly. 20+ Grade 2s as well.

Don't do it. Even if you don't care about the fact that it is illegal, you should care about the fact that it is dangerous (especially when you're incurring so many serious and dangerous faults on the test).

Don't get me wrong. I agree that it is an uphill struggle if you're not getting any practice between lessons. My first driving test attempt was in 2013, which I failed. I realised at that point that I wouldn't be able to pass the test without frequent practice between lessons, but I had no sponsor at that time. So, I gave up...until early 2019 when I finally had someone (a workmate) who was happy to help me get some practice. I bought a car with his help, got a few more lessons, and went on short practice drives a couple of days a week between lessons. This helped me pass my second driving test attempt only two months later.

Over the years, there had been people "advising" me to just buy a car to drive on my own between lessons and telling me I'd be grand. I'm glad I didn't give in, because when I did start going on practice drives with my workmate last year, there were so many situations that would have proven fatal had I been on my own. For example, I almost jumped a red light once because the road immediately ahead was clear and I was looking too far ahead, thereby failing to notice even the presence of the traffic lights. It wasn't until he started going, "stop, stop" that I noticed them and slammed the brakes just in time.

It isn't worth putting yourself and others at risk. Besides, if you have a look around the forum here, you will see that a good few posters have passed on lessons alone.

• Advertisement

zepman wrote: »
    ... if you have a look around the forum here, you will see that a good few posters have passed on lessons alone.
    This.

When your only experience is with lessons and an instructor, you are much less likely to develop bad habits and confuse confidence with competence.

I passed the B test without having a car.
    I passed the C test without having a rigid truck.
    I passed the CE test without having an articulated truck.
    I passed the D test without having a bus.
    I passed the A test without having a motorcycle.

Advertisement