Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Like this via google.

https://www.howacarworks.com/advanced-driving/road-positioning
    That is another country on different side of road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYhL4VpDEmw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Id say look at the things you did wrong (or that they marked you down on) and focus more on that, re-read the rules, try not to form bad habits when driving/ie form good habits. It might be useful to go over certain scenarios in your head while seated at home of how to do things correctly, might ingrain certain things (how to signal, or to deal with certain turns or certain junctions, or whatever you fell down on), it could be helpful.
    I wouldnt get concerned about not passing, you aren't driving that long so it seems like you havent built up a lot of experience, just get back up on the horse so to speak, and Id try not to think about the money, its an investment in learning how to drive, it takes more time/money for some than others and motoring will always involve outlaying money.

When I started out, I knew others that would tear around the place thinking they were great lads I suppose, better to go slow, negotiate each junction, driving along pay attention to relevant stuff like signage etc(but dont get distracted), driving is more to do with observation imo, when you can drive seamlessly, you do that almost without thinking, if you have formed good habits of forcing yourself to do things right at the start when you are learning, then you will do that automatically later on without thinking, when you are driving automatically and observation becomes the greater part of driving imo. Situations change, other road users break lights, damage in the road surface, dealing with different weather conditions or stuff like vandalised or missing signage.

Just keep practicing, driving is enjoyable, but it's like anything you didnt know from before, it takes practice to get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I failed 3 times..... Had plenty of lessons and experience but crumbled when I was being watch by the instructor, when I did pass I spent the whole time talking to the instructor luckly he was pretty cool, and completely forgot I was being graded so was calm and drove fine and passed fourth time round!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

Thanks everyone for all your lovely comments, just to specify further, i received no negetive marks for observation, the car konked out for me once at a junction and i had 4 grade twos and 2 grade ones for position. I was driving in a housing estate and there was cars on the left hand side and i drove in the middle of the road and the tester even said it to me during the test however I thought that this was the safest thing to do as if I was any closer to the left it would be dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Hi everyone, I failed my first driving test today, I’m 18 and have been driving for 9 months now. I got 2 grade ones and 14 grade twos. A lot of my grade twos were on road positioning. I am feeling very disheartened and upset as I spent so much money and time on lessons. Would ye consider the 14 grade 2s a very bad result? Please no smart comments as I’m upset about this at the moment.

Welcome to the majority. Over 50% of people fail the driving test first time on average. Looking you had 14 Grade 2s , 8 is a pass, you only have to drop 6 of those to pass next time.

You know where you're failing , so get an instructor to sit and monitor you in the car and point out what you can do to correct it. That's what I did after my first fail, rebooked test, got 3 more lessons with a different instructor, showed him my fail sheet, asked him to monitor my driving and pull me up when I was doing something wrong and that worked.

Plus you know exactly what to expect now so you have a big advantage.

2 other tips:

1.Make sure to brush up on the road signs, rules of the road and under good checks. Might sound obvious but it puts you on a great footing if you know you at least have no mark downs before you leave the test centre.

2. There's a lad on YouTube called Dane Tyghe does some really solid instructional videos on things like road position, all the basics really. He's well worth a look.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks everyone for all your lovely comments, just to specify further, i received no negetive marks for observation, the car konked out for me once at a junction and i had 4 grade twos and 2 grade ones for position. I was driving in a housing estate and there was cars on the left hand side and i drove in the middle of the road and the tester even said it to me during the test however I thought that this was the safest thing to do as if I was any closer to the left it would be dangerous.

Give a door width if possible but that really depends on the size of the road, if parked cars and visibility is compromised, slow down, show you are looking and use mirrors.

They just want to see confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I got 15 grade twos on my first attempt and passed on the second go. Just work on where you failed and keep practising and you will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Just reapply for the test again. Work with your instructor on the faults flagged. As mentioned, getting up to 8 grade 2’s is still a pass, however I note you got 4 grade 2’s under one heading, even if you got no other marks those 4 in themselves are under one heading so would be a fail. Did you feel very nervous/unsettled during the test? If it’s any consolation i failed my theory test at 18 on the first attempt, passed it on the second. I know it wasn’t the driving test itself. Stay strong, chin up, go again. You will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You say you spent a lot of time and money on lessons. But have you spent much time on practicing with a qualified driver?

Think of school subjects. If you only used class time for learning, you'd fail the exams. But most people will study outside class time and they will almost always pass .

So as well as a few more lessons get as much extra practice with a good driver as possible. Doesn't have to be a parent - other relatives can be more suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OP_rah

I finished my first test and felt like I had passed but failed. Booked my second test straight away and the second test went horribly but I passed.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you're still fairly new to driving. Just make sure you book the next one ASAP while you're still in the mindset.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Only for this you would have passed. You should have judged your driving position from the left. Rule book says "a safe but not excessive distance". This is the criteria the examiner uses.

Normally this line would be about three feet or a door's width from the left. If you can not give this distance then you slow down. Aim being to drive at a speed and distance that you can safely deal with any hazard that suddenly appears from the left.

You will ace it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

failed yesterday 20 GRADE 2s. Mid test got caught in that rain storm at about 12:20 yesterday so i was so nervous and been so careful. I had some for speeding but my biggest mark up was been to close to parked cars.

Looking at the test report. 100% can remove 13 of them without any lessons. They are clearance/overtake, signals, gears and speed. Stay a doors with apart. 30mph in housing estate. Drive more or less on the other side of the road overtaken a cyclist.

Rebooked for the 16th Feb. We go again

but1er wrote: »
    failed yesterday 20 GRADE 2s. Mid test got caught in that rain storm at about 12:20 yesterday so i was so nervous and been so careful. I had some for speeding but my biggest mark up was been to close to parked cars.

Looking at the test report. 100% can remove 13 of them without any lessons. They are clearance/overtake, signals, gears and speed. Stay a doors with apart. 30mph in housing estate. Drive more or less on the other side of the road overtaken a cyclist.

Rebooked for the 16th Feb. We go again

Did you get 4 grade 2’s under one heading? Any grade 3’s?

Best of luck next time

Did you get 4 grade 2’s under one heading? Any grade 3’s?

Best of luck next time

no grade 1s or 3s. yep failed outright under clearance and overtaken. 1 for the cyclist not given enough room and the other 4 was for the parked cars. just drive more or less on the other side of the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

This may be the wrong thread so apologies but how far behind are tests with scheduling?

I booked for a second test in mid September and haven't heard a word? I assume with Level 5 and various restrictions that things have slowed, but should I be expecting a long wait still?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This may be the wrong thread so apologies but how far behind are tests with scheduling?

I booked for a second test in mid September and haven't heard a word? I assume with Level 5 and various restrictions that things have slowed, but should I be expecting a long wait still?

Keep ringing the RSA directly and ask about available slots. It's how I got mine pushed forward

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Faults
    Grade 1
    Grade 2
    Grade 3
    Rules/Checks
    React/Anticipate
    React to hazards
    Signals
    At roundabouts
    Turning left
    Progress
    Crossing junctions
    At roundabouts
    Turning right
    Turning left
    Vehicle controls
    Gears
    Reverse
    Observation
    Turnabout
    Competently
    So 15 grade 2s as above for young lad and had 3 grade 2s for gear control . Also had a grade 2 for rules check . I thought you could only get a grade 1 for rules check ? . Anyway he has a bit of work to do and has rebooked straight away ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

costacorta wrote: »
    So 15 grade 2s as above for young lad and had 3 grade 2s for gear control . Also had a grade 2 for rules check . I thought you could only get a grade 1 for rules check ? . Anyway he has a bit of work to do and has rebooked straight away ..

I think 3 questions wrong is a grade 2 in rules check.

Johner wrote: »
    I think 3 questions wrong is a grade 2 in rules check.

Thanks for reply , Anyway he tried to rebook today but RSA told him he can’t reapply for 3 months . There is only one tester in test centre and you can’t do it with him again within 3 months ,, He is off for month of March and no tests going ahead there and a huge backlog of waiting lists .

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

costacorta wrote: »
    Thanks for reply , Anyway he tried to rebook today but RSA told him he can’t reapply for 3 months . There is only one tester in test centre and you can’t do it with him again within 3 months ,, He is off for month of March and no tests going ahead there and a huge backlog of waiting lists .

Can you book in another centre? My daughters boyfriend failed two weeks ago and has it rebooked for next week in another County

• Advertisement

Can you book in another centre? My daughters boyfriend failed two weeks ago and has it rebooked for next week in another County

You can book it for wherever in the 26 counties you like. I sat a test in Limerick one time.

Yes he has option of doing it in another test centre but that would be City and he has all his lessons done in local town of test and know all the routes so wants to stay there .

Failed it two weeks ago with 20 grade 2s. Knew my drive wasn't that bad.

went back out yesterday got 8 grade 2s. PASSED!! delighted. Yesterdays drive was worse then two weeks ago and i passed. The instructor was more can he drive and is he a danger then two weeks ago by the book. Hit the kurb doing my hill start and nearly crashed on a right turn but sat with him after for 20 mins chatting about the test. Some feeling

2 tests in 2 weeks? Interesting! How did you manage that? Well done on the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

went back out yesterday got 8 grade 2s. PASSED!! delighted. Yesterdays drive was worse then two weeks ago and i passed. The instructor was more can he drive and is he a danger then two weeks ago by the book. Hit the kurb doing my hill start and nearly crashed on a right turn but sat with him after for 20 mins chatting about the test. Some feeling

does not compute. and how do you hit a kerb on a hill start?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

I am a bit confused too. Where did you do the test?

Galbin wrote: »
    I am a bit confused too. Where did you do the test?

finglas test center plenty of tests and times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

Failed my third today in Tallaght. Absolutely devastated as I really thought I was where I needed to be.

I always felt I was marked unfairly on my first test as I had an altercation with the tester the day before (he pulled up behind and began beeping me while I was out practicing reverse around the corner, had no idea who he was or why until he got out and demanded I leave) then ended up being tested by him the next day. Nothing will convince me it wasn't a grudge as he took me on what I've been told is the worst route in Tallaght and I did the best driving I've ever done. He never sent me the feedback.

Second test I deserved to fail, took it on short notice and had not been driving at all. Tester was bang on and told me everything I needed to do. That was two months ago and I worked on everything he told me.

Today I made a balls of the reverse, which I haven't done in any previous tests. Deserved that grade 2. I was also given a mark for overtaking a girl doing her test (who also failed) in a parked car coming out of a cul de sac. I indicated, checked my mirrors and spots, moved out and moved back in when it was clear. Was told she could have moved out while I was overtaking but not sure how that's my fault.

Few marks for observation on T-junctions which again I never felt I had an issue with. Good few marks on signals which I really don't understand as I've never had anyone (previous testers, parents, two EDT instructors) comment on. Picked up two marks for right of way when I was pulled in for the hill start. I spotted a car flying up an estate which then stopped dead to let me go. Of course they had right of way but the lady kept waving at me to go, so once again I did all my checks and moved off. Was I supposed to wave her on and hold everything up?
    Tester was sound, can't fault him at all, said there's not much needed to pass.

The most annoying part is each time I test I'm told I have a different problem. My first tester said I was looking too much before left turns, today I wasn't looking enough. Today I indicated too late, no problem in the previous two tests. Grade 1 and 2 on gears/accelerator today, again never marked on those before.

My parents are in their 60s and I'm nearly 30, I really can't keep asking them to go out and drive in circles with me. I've applied now for the test again and two pretest lessons.:(

Here's my report 4igJpcl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

dragx wrote: »
    Failed my third today in Tallaght. Absolutely devastated as I really thought I was where I needed to be.

I always felt I was marked unfairly on my first test as I had an altercation with the tester the day before (he pulled up behind and began beeping me while I was out practicing reverse around the corner, had no idea who he was or why until he got out and demanded I leave) then ended up being tested by him the next day. Nothing will convince me it wasn't a grudge as he took me on what I've been told is the worst route in Tallaght and I did the best driving I've ever done. He never sent me the feedback.

Second test I deserved to fail, took it on short notice and had not been driving at all. Tester was bang on and told me everything I needed to do. That was two months ago and I worked on everything he told me.

Today I made a balls of the reverse, which I haven't done in any previous tests. Deserved that grade 2. I was also given a mark for overtaking a girl doing her test (who also failed) in a parked car coming out of a cul de sac. I indicated, checked my mirrors and spots, moved out and moved back in when it was clear. Was told she could have moved out while I was overtaking but not sure how that's my fault.

Few marks for observation on T-junctions which again I never felt I had an issue with. Good few marks on signals which I really don't understand as I've never had anyone (previous testers, parents, two EDT instructors) comment on. Picked up two marks for right of way when I was pulled in for the hill start. I spotted a car flying up an estate which then stopped dead to let me go. Of course they had right of way but the lady kept waving at me to go, so once again I did all my checks and moved off. Was I supposed to wave her on and hold everything up?
    Tester was sound, can't fault him at all, said there's not much needed to pass.

The most annoying part is each time I test I'm told I have a different problem. My first tester said I was looking too much before left turns, today I wasn't looking enough. Today I indicated too late, no problem in the previous two tests. Grade 1 and 2 on gears/accelerator today, again never marked on those before.

My parents are in their 60s and I'm nearly 30, I really can't keep asking them to go out and drive in circles with me. I've applied now for the test again and two pretest lessons.:(

Here's my report 4igJpcl.png

Did you have to wait long for dates in between each attempt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

Did you have to wait long for dates in between each attempt?

First was August 2020, second was January and third was today. Wait isn't as bad now with the essential test option. I was waiting over 9 months for my first test date and had two cancelled on me beforehand.

Advertisement