Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

failed mine yesterday

ugh i got fairly unlucky traffic was insane really frustrating to be honest put in so much work the last few weeks getting up at 6 so i can drive with the parents in the car to there work and staying in town till end of work. Failed by 11grade 2s. it was a nice tester to be honest, he said my observation was very good all round bar the reverse where the instructor got out and i didn’t see him show the STOP hand as i was at the end of the reverse adjusting to sit near the curb. i failed becuase i thought i got a grade three for going over a pedestrian crossing where the right has the right of way and being rush hour and it was the busiest i’ve ever seen it i seen a gap on the right and looked to make sure there were no people coming close but unfortunately on the left it’s blind you can’t see people till the last 10 yards and low and behold a ton of students came and then as i was pulling out going left (where the main traffic on the right go straight) a big line of cars came i was on on the crossing already over it and students had to go around the car then i was there for a few mins as there was no suitable gap and no one would beckon me at all, after this tbh my driving kinda went was really deflated if it wasn’t for the really busy traffic i would normally be fine there, stalled 3 times then going up this hill junction after it. got 2 marks under accelerator i knew i had this problem not setting the gas properly, instructor said i had a good chance i would pass he said him self the traffic was awful and the situation i got in was bad, to be honest i wasn’t nervous at all until i got in that sticky situation it’s like the merging/diverging road. tester said i was fairly good and basically my driving went to sh**e after that, any tips or anything really deflated another three weeks of getting up! booked in for 11am on january so should be more quite.
    it was a good experience but i think i was unlucky with the situation i reacted badly to it, should have done better. got another mark grade two for handbrake don’t know what that was for any idea? few marks dotted around but mainly need to get on top of the accelerator problem/handbrake any tips for this ? i have bad dispracia and find it hard to adjust my foot on the accelerator to get the revs up to between 1.5k ish

cheers

You sound like you are nearly there. I wouldn't be disheartened by the fail at all. 3 less faults and you'd have passed,. It sucks in these times as you might be waiting for a retest date but when you reapply say you'll accept a cancellation date and keep an eye on the new website for one popping up. I'd a load of faults in my first test related to gears, accelator etc so I switched to automatic car and it was honestly a revelation. They are a bit more expensive though. More practice will always boost your confidence and make it feel natural.

BTW my own daughter has dyspraxia and I can see how the machinations of driving could present massive extra challenges too with all that entails so I really wouldn't get too down at all. You're doing great, chin up and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

You sound like you are nearly there. I wouldn't be disheartened by the fail at all. 3 less faults and you'd have passed,. It sucks in these times as you might be waiting for a retest date but when you reapply say you'll accept a cancellation date and keep an eye on the new website for one popping up. I'd a load of faults in my first test related to gears, accelator etc so I switched to automatic car and it was honestly a revelation. They are a bit more expensive though. More practice will always boost your confidence and make it feel natural.

BTW my own daughter has dyspraxia and I can see how the machinations of driving could present massive extra challenges too with all that entails so I really wouldn't get too down at all. You're doing great, chin up and try again.
    cheers smelly was fairly confident with it i know i had them small flaws but that sticky situation really messed me up and the traffic was the worst ive ever seen it, booked in for three weeks at 11am should be a lot more calm. going to try and get my foot work better I have my own car and try and rev it up and down and back think it might be a good idea, and yea the dyspraxia does not help at all. bit deflated hopefully next time going to work on the first gear like mad ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

failed mine yesterday

ugh i got fairly unlucky traffic was insane really frustrating to be honest put in so much work the last few weeks getting up at 6 so i can drive with the parents in the car to there work and staying in town till end of work. Failed by 11grade 2s. it was a nice tester to be honest, he said my observation was very good all round bar the reverse where the instructor got out and i didn’t see him show the STOP hand as i was at the end of the reverse adjusting to sit near the curb. i failed becuase i thought i got a grade three for going over a pedestrian crossing where the right has the right of way and being rush hour and it was the busiest i’ve ever seen it i seen a gap on the right and looked to make sure there were no people coming close but unfortunately on the left it’s blind you can’t see people till the last 10 yards and low and behold a ton of students came and then as i was pulling out going left (where the main traffic on the right go straight) a big line of cars came i was on on the crossing already over it and students had to go around the car then i was there for a few mins as there was no suitable gap ( i thought id get marked for progress etc) and no one would beckon me at all, after this tbh my driving kinda went was really deflated if it wasn’t for the really busy traffic i would normally be fine there, stalled 3 times then going up this hill junction after it. got 2 marks under accelerator i knew i had this problem not setting the gas properly, instructor said i had a good chance i would pass he said him self the traffic was awful and the situation i got in was bad, to be honest i wasn’t nervous at all until i got in that sticky situation it’s like the merging/diverging road. tester said i was fairly good and basically my driving went to sh**e after that, any tips or anything really deflated another three weeks of getting up! booked in for 11am on january so should be more quite.
    it was a good experience but i think i was unlucky with the situation i reacted badly to it, should have done better. got another mark grade two for handbrake don’t know what that was for any idea? few marks dotted around but mainly need to get on top of the accelerator problem/handbrake any tips for this ? i have bad dispracia and find it hard to adjust my foot on the accelerator to get the revs up to between 1.5k ish

cheers

Hi,

Forget the rev counter, its redundant in learning to drive and needlessly complicates. Instead use the sound of the engine instead. Just rev to a nice healthy sound.

Learner drivers and rev counters do not mix very well - especially the nervous ones. One big drawback, sometimes they can take an inordinate amount of time staring fixedly at the little needle whilst being totally oblivious of their surroundings and traffic around them.

Practice using sound instead. And listen for the deepening note to find the holding point or "bite"

In the test quite often it is not the mistake you make that fails you, instead it is how you acted afterwards. Make a mistake, let it be a wake up call, tell yourself every dog is entitled to one bite, concentrate more fully on your driving from then on..

You got good positive feedback from the tester so you should be fine next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Forget the rev counter, its redundant in learning to drive and needlessly complicates. Instead use the sound of the engine instead. Just rev to a nice healthy sound.

Learner drivers and rev counters do not mix very well - especially the nervous ones. One big drawback, sometimes they can take an inordinate amount of time staring fixedly at the little needle whilst being totally oblivious of their surroundings and traffic around them.

Practice using sound instead. And listen for the deepening note to find the holding point or "bite"

In the test quite often it is not the mistake you make that fails you, instead it is how you acted afterwards. Make a mistake, let it be a wake up call, tell yourself every dog is entitled to one bite, concentrate more fully on your driving from then on..

That is one benefit to doing your test in a car that you drive normally. you don't have to look at the rev counter to know the engine is at the right rpm, you just know. Even experienced drivers can make a hash of it when driving a car for the first time. Anybody who has seen me pull out of a car hire company would tell you that.

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

cheers JR, I actually didnt do it in my car this time, it was the testers I knew the testers car was more lenient with the anti stall, mine is an old petrol 2005 It was just on any incline in my car it would tend to stall (not giving enough gas sometimes i would over rev too for it to not stall) i actually thought i had this under control and didnt stall at all in the last 3 weeks but i think my mind went out the window even with the instructors more anti stall car, and the only other problem would be the gear changes like the certain speed for 2nd, 3rd etc. when i had the lessons in the instructors car with the all electric speedo she said i was changing down gears at a high speed like she suggested 25 and under for 2nd where i was changing it at mid thirties but i would come off the clutch v slowly and brake. she said i would prob pick up a few marks on the slow ish takeoffs and the gears didnt get any on the gear changes as i was focused on them during the test but in my car its kind of hard to know what speed your going taking your eye off the road a bit long so in a iffy situation what car to pick. have three lessons leading up to the test hope to focus more on the accelerator and will be doing some practices on my own car.

thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Hard luck, sounds like you were very close and it's positive that the tester was so encouraging.

great news that you managed to get a new test date so quickly! how did that come about? I got a fast 're-test' too by lurking around on the MyRoadSafety page and just refreshing the page but yet I'm still hearing warnings from instructors that 'if you fail you'll be waiting six months!' so wondering if this iust scaremongering or if myself and thefisherbuy have just got very lucky.

Goose76 wrote: »
    Hard luck, sounds like you were very close and it's positive that the tester was so encouraging.

great news that you managed to get a new test date so quickly! how did that come about? I got a fast 're-test' too by lurking around on the MyRoadSafety page and just refreshing the page but yet I'm still hearing warnings from instructors that 'if you fail you'll be waiting six months!' so wondering if this iust scaremongering or if myself and thefisherbuy have just got very lucky.

cheers goose yea he was very nice, said himself I would have passed if i didnt make a mess that time, and luckily my test centre had plenty of dates on the 2nd week of January, picked the best time in my experience so it wouldn't mad busy! the new tool is fairly handy about time you could pick a time, i think if you book normally its a long wait without calling etc to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iQuain

failed mine yesterday

ugh i got fairly unlucky traffic was insane really frustrating to be honest put in so much work the last few weeks getting up at 6 so i can drive with the parents in the car to there work and staying in town till end of work. Failed by 11grade 2s. it was a nice tester to be honest, he said my observation was very good all round bar the reverse where the instructor got out and i didn’t see him show the STOP hand as i was at the end of the reverse adjusting to sit near the curb. i failed becuase i thought i got a grade three for going over a pedestrian crossing where the right has the right of way and being rush hour and it was the busiest i’ve ever seen it i seen a gap on the right and looked to make sure there were no people coming close but unfortunately on the left it’s blind you can’t see people till the last 10 yards and low and behold a ton of students came and then as i was pulling out going left (where the main traffic on the right go straight) a big line of cars came i was on on the crossing already over it and students had to go around the car then i was there for a few mins as there was no suitable gap ( i thought id get marked for progress etc) and no one would beckon me at all, after this tbh my driving kinda went was really deflated if it wasn’t for the really busy traffic i would normally be fine there, stalled 3 times then going up this hill junction after it. got 2 marks under accelerator i knew i had this problem not setting the gas properly, instructor said i had a good chance i would pass he said him self the traffic was awful and the situation i got in was bad, to be honest i wasn’t nervous at all until i got in that sticky situation it’s like the merging/diverging road. tester said i was fairly good and basically my driving went to sh**e after that, any tips or anything really deflated another three weeks of getting up! booked in for 11am on january so should be more quite.

cheers

Sorry to hear, sounds like you got thrown off by something that was completely out of your control. Hopefully now with the extra time to practice though you’ll get rid of some of the issues that you were marked on and you’ll fly the next one.

The only thing I can think of for handbrake is that you might have been on an incline/decline and you didn’t but your handbrake on when the car was stopped. Maybe you held the brake and then balanced the clutch and accel to pull off? Couldn’t imagine anything else myself but I’m sure your tester will be able to give you a better idea.

iQuain wrote: »
    Sorry to hear, sounds like you got thrown off by something that was completely out of your control. Hopefully now with the extra time to practice though you’ll get rid of some of the issues that you were marked on and you’ll fly the next one.

The only thing I can think of for handbrake is that you might have been on an incline/decline and you didn’t but your handbrake on when the car was stopped. Maybe you held the brake and then balanced the clutch and accel to pull off? Couldn’t imagine anything else myself but I’m sure your tester will be able to give you a better idea.

many thanks for the advice, still a bit gutted but working on the gas more and getting better with taking off quicker and the clutch control on the hills! going to ask the instructor to work on it too when i meet him again, I think your right about that, i think in one part of the test with the handbrake i was on the brake for a bit long but that was a bit unlucky again with the massive traffic have a test booked nearly two weeks away now, getting in the car every other day for now till the week of the test, theres a few little problems like the clutch control on the hills and the quicker getting off from a STOP but thats all to do with the accelerator , Would i get a grade 1 if lets say i revved a bit much? it happens the odd time more so on hills i might hit 2.5k-3k by accident and i hear it and let of the gas a bit if that makes sense! hope i get the same tester again he was decent, better time now less traffic i hope it goes ahead with the lockdown really need it for work!

just want to say a big thanks to everyone on here passed today 5 grade twos, two for the accelerator and reaction time hazards, if i have any advice to anyone looking is having your own car makes such a difference, axa have great insurance aswell. thanks all !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Rosstopher

just want to say a big thanks to everyone on here passed today 5 grade twos, two for the accelerator and reaction time hazards, if i have any advice to anyone looking is having your own car makes such a difference, axa have great insurance aswell. thanks all !!!

Congrats! What were the accelerator marks for specifically if you don’t mind me asking? Or do you know?

I find I’m a little slow with the accelerator when moving off. My instructor said I was fine, but personally I find there are some days where I’m practicing where I’m very hesitant in using the accelerator and move off relatively slowly at lights etc. almost using only the clutch. It’s a petrol car I’m using too so I’ve been told and read loads of times elsewhere that I really need to try to give it gas with clutch, but my car can be quite tricky with it. Sometimes a smooth take off, other times a little jerky if I don’t hit the exact revs I need. So 80% of the time I revert to safety and move off on the bite and then fairy quickly hit the gas. Once I get going my progress and moving through the gears is ok though, I think.

So yeah, but of a long comment this, but I’m just conscious of this coming up in the test. Might be thinking I’m going great guns, but the tester gives me a tonne of acceleration marks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rosstopher wrote: »
    Sometimes a smooth take off, other times a little jerky if I don’t hit the exact revs I need.

This is where practice comes in. You will get there.
    It will end up where it's happening even without you thinking about it.

At the same time, even very experienced drivers have the odd cut out on take off. Don't worry about it.

Congrats! What were the accelerator marks for specifically if you don’t mind me asking? Or do you know?

I find I’m a little slow with the accelerator when moving off. My instructor said I was fine, but personally I find there are some days where I’m practicing where I’m very hesitant in using the accelerator and move off relatively slowly at lights etc. almost using only the clutch. It’s a petrol car I’m using too so I’ve been told and read loads of times elsewhere that I really need to try to give it gas with clutch, but my car can be quite tricky with it. Sometimes a smooth take off, other times a little jerky if I don’t hit the exact revs I need. So 80% of the time I revert to safety and move off on the bite and then fairy quickly hit the gas. Once I get going my progress and moving through the gears is ok though, I think.

So yeah, but of a long comment this, but I’m just conscious of this coming up in the test. Might be thinking I’m going great guns, but the tester gives me a tonne of acceleration marks.

hi there

im still in your situation too sometimes! but mainly due to revving the car to about 2.3k revs now i have disability so sometimes im a bit heavy footed, it also depends on the tester he might mark it under a grade 1 or 2 it depends but in most of the route he took me in a lot of the stops (like turning left) were on inclines so i needed revs don't be afraid to give it MORE revs on the incline, my hill start was a lot less then some of the stops i done on the test! Its all about practice if your doing the test in your own car i suggest revving the car and wait till you hear that hum at about 2k revs especially in the older cars like mine ye need to give it revs, the juttering you are saying most likely down to not giving the gas for me it was always the opposite too much but I wouldn't be really worried about the problem just practice even going up the drive reverse back and so forth i done this a few times a week when i wasn't out driving, I did take the test in the testers car(181 petrol 1.2) as its a bit more easier to move off from a standstill if i forgot to give gas on the day where as my older petrol would conk. On the day i tried not too overly focus on this problem, like i said alot of the stops where such as, indicate, get to the stop line, look, handbrake, look again, get the revs up and go. Although my instructor said to only do this on inclines/or where you would roll back, he took me on alot of these incline junctions, he really went everywhere to be honest.
    always try and get the revs up if you can when moving espcailly for the test youll be a bit nervous and could stall etc, what i say to you is get in your car and feel the revs, have no music or any of that and you can hear it when its around 2k revs, overtime you should be able to control it better (i am getting better myself) if this is your only problem try and focus on it at home etc. I had everything else nailed such as the observations etc. its tough but practice loads youll get better so what if you pick up 1/2grade 2s if everything else is ok!!! good luck

hi there

im still in your situation too sometimes! but mainly due to revving the car to about 2.3k revs now i have disability so sometimes im a bit heavy footed, it also depends on the tester he might mark it under a grade 1 or 2 it depends but in most of the route he took me in a lot of the stops (like turning left) were on inclines so i needed revs don't be afraid to give it MORE revs on the incline, my hill start was a lot less then some of the stops i done on the test! Its all about practice if your doing the test in your own car i suggest revving the car and wait till you hear that hum at about 2k revs especially in the older cars like mine ye need to give it revs, the juttering you are saying most likely down to not giving the gas for me it was always the opposite too much but I wouldn't be really worried about the problem just practice even going up the drive reverse back and so forth i done this a few times a week when i wasn't out driving, I did take the test in the testers car(181 petrol 1.2) as its a bit more easier to move off from a standstill if i forgot to give gas on the day where as my older petrol would conk. On the day i tried not too overly focus on this problem, like i said alot of the stops where such as, indicate, get to the stop line, look, handbrake, look again, get the revs up and go. Although my instructor said to only do this on inclines/or where you would roll back, he took me on alot of these incline junctions, he really went everywhere to be honest.
    always try and get the revs up if you can when moving espcailly for the test youll be a bit nervous and could stall etc, what i say to you is get in your car and feel the revs, have no music or any of that and you can hear it when its around 2k revs, overtime you should be able to control it better (i am getting better myself) if this is your only problem try and focus on it at home etc. I had everything else nailed such as the observations etc. its tough but practice loads youll get better so what if you pick up 1/2grade 2s if everything else is ok!!! good luck

Appreciate the feedback. Yeah definitely giving it more revs on the incline. I had a pretest yesterday and the instructor said I needn’t worry about my concerns moving off so I’m going to have to take his word for it. He said the odd time I am a bit hesitant but it seems more because I’m caught in 2 minds whether to try and go for it with the accelerator first or just use the clutch quickly followed by it as I mentioned above. He said at this stage with it being so close to the test I may as well do what I’m comfortable with and it shouldn’t be an issue once it’s immediately followed by getting through the gears and up to the speed limit safely but assertively to show progress. Especially as he seems to suggest I’m doing very well otherwise (we’ll see) and also mentioned that I’m moving nowhere near as slow on the take off as I think I am.

However I did try the revs alone today like you said just to try get the sweet spot and it definitely helps especially as there are a few possible junctions on slight inclines near me.

Test tomorrow afternoon anyway so let’s see how it goes!

Appreciate the feedback. Yeah definitely giving it more revs on the incline. I had a pretest yesterday and the instructor said I needn’t worry about my concerns moving off so I’m going to have to take his word for it. He said the odd time I am a bit hesitant but it seems more because I’m caught in 2 minds whether to try and go for it with the accelerator first or just use the clutch quickly followed by it as I mentioned above. He said at this stage with it being so close to the test I may as well do what I’m comfortable with and it shouldn’t be an issue once it’s immediately followed by getting through the gears and up to the speed limit safely but assertively to show progress. Especially as he seems to suggest I’m doing very well otherwise (we’ll see) and also mentioned that I’m moving nowhere near as slow on the take off as I think I am.

However I did try the revs alone today like you said just to try get the sweet spot and it definitely helps especially as there are a few possible junctions on slight inclines near me.

great you passed! was going to say good luck to ye ahah, bet your buzzed i was to still am! advice with the gears deffo will get better as ye drive i used to be hesitant especially when only using and practicing on the instructors car about changing like using 3rd all the time etc(on a 50 zone as it is hard to keep it around that in 4th) but as i got on with practicing on my car and having my parents who drilled into me "keep the flow" think its a good one keep the flow of the traffic going within the limits ofc ;) but thats a big one, progression i had this problem at the start of the lessons and even when i had the 12done, like i said having your own car / practice car makes a huge difference especially if you weren't brought up with tractors etc, get in that practice everyday even in the driveway, that's what i was doing, up 20yards and reverse doing all the observations, great work bet your happy enjoy!!!

great you passed! was going to say good luck to ye ahah, bet your buzzed i was to still am! advice with the gears deffo will get better as ye drive i used to be hesitant especially when only using and practicing on the instructors car about changing like using 3rd all the time etc(on a 50 zone as it is hard to keep it around that in 4th) but as i got on with practicing on my car and having my parents who drilled into me "keep the flow" think its a good one keep the flow of the traffic going within the limits ofc ;) but thats a big one, progression i had this problem at the start of the lessons and even when i had the 12done, like i said having your own car / practice car makes a huge difference especially if you weren't brought up with tractors etc, get in that practice everyday even in the driveway, that's what i was doing, up 20yards and reverse doing all the observations, great work bet your happy enjoy!!!

Thank you! And yeah exactly the routine practice really makes a huge difference as you said. The gears really took a long time for me to get the hang of and only I recently started to realise that they were not an issue for me anymore. Only recently I’d be coming back from a practice and being surprised that I’d barely even thought of them.. before they were all I ever thought of! I started going out almost daily even if it was just 10 mins run to the shop with with somebody just to get the “feel” of being in the car regularly, big help that. And it’s mad I was saying before here I thought I was being really slow moving off but I didn’t get any marks for that, only progress marks for being hesitant to get to the limit once and a turn I easily could have taken earlier but let another car go. Just shows these things can be bigger in your head than in reality!

But yeah absolutely relieved!! Feels like this thing has been weighing on my shoulders for a long time and I thought I’d never get there between tests getting cancelled and then failing a test not too long ago. Still feel like it hasn’t sunk in yet haha, I’ll probably be cracking a smile any time I think of it for weeks. Good to see from you that the feeling stays there for a while haha. We worked hard enough for it so we may enjoy it. Booked NDLS tomorrow so now I can’t wait to get that pink card in the post!

Thank you! And yeah exactly the routine practice really makes a huge difference as you said. The gears really took a long time for me to get the hang of and only I recently started to realise that they were not an issue for me anymore. Only recently I’d be coming back from a practice and being surprised that I’d barely even thought of them.. before they were all I ever thought of! I started going out almost daily even if it was just 10 mins run to the shop with with somebody just to get the “feel” of being in the car regularly, big help that. And it’s mad I was saying before here I thought I was being really slow moving off but I didn’t get any marks for that, only progress marks for being hesitant to get to the limit once and a turn I easily could have taken earlier but let another car go. Just shows these things can be bigger in your head than in reality!

But yeah absolutely relieved!! Feels like this thing has been weighing on my shoulders for a long time and I thought I’d never get there between tests getting cancelled and then failing a test not too long ago. Still feel like it hasn’t sunk in yet haha, I’ll probably be cracking a smile any time I think of it for weeks. Good to see from you that the feeling stays there for a while haha. We worked hard enough for it so we may enjoy it. Booked NDLS tomorrow so now I can’t wait to get that pink card in the post!

ahaha i was actually going to say to ye try not to overthink the moving off during the test i didnt get any at all same as! one thing the instructor said to me that it was fine but could be quicker, and like you i overthought of it and it was really annoying if i didnt get it right when driving around with the parents for example, thats a big one if anyone is having a problem like me or you try not to overthink it and work and practice everyday, it works out and if you fail it the first time who gives a f*** youll get it eventually! the practice works wonders and certainly would say it to any L driver to get out everyday for 20mins, and work around especially in the citys in the centre of the town i know it would be scary for any learner driver but that will really up your game observation wise, I didnt have great knowledge of the city centre only with lessons and that kinda failed me the first time, went back 3 days in a row before the test for an hour around the center driving, stopping for people etc! it all helps good luck to your driving also ross, i applied online Wednesday last week and got it monday!

ahaha i was actually going to say to ye try not to overthink the moving off during the test i didnt get any at all same as! one thing the instructor said to me that it was fine but could be quicker, and like you i overthought of it and it was really annoying if i didnt get it right when driving around with the parents for example, thats a big one if anyone is having a problem like me or you try not to overthink it and work and practice everyday, it works out and if you fail it the first time who gives a f*** youll get it eventually! the practice works wonders and certainly would say it to any L driver to get out everyday for 20mins, and work around especially in the citys in the centre of the town i know it would be scary for any learner driver but that will really up your game observation wise, I didnt have great knowledge of the city centre only with lessons and that kinda failed me the first time, went back 3 days in a row before the test for an hour around the center driving, stopping for people etc! it all helps good luck to your driving also ross, i applied online Wednesday last week and got it monday!

You’re spot on. Every little drive is a proper practice in itself and it helps shake the nerves. Probably same for everyone but when I was learning early on I was hoping to avoid any busy spots and hoping I’d hit every green light. After a while you start to hope you get the tough situations for practice.

Wow you got the licence quick! Hopefully mine is quick but I won’t hold my breath haha. Thanks and good luck with your driving too, stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

I’m the exact same! I passed the test in September and still feel like I’m not moving off the mark quick enough and feel like I’m holding up traffic behind and sometimes do a rough moving off by being too concerned of holding them up! I feel like my clutch control is gone good at moving off but still feel like I hold them up in my small powered engine. I have a dashcam so I regularly review my driving and I watch my moving off and it doesn’t seem as slow as I always think it is in my head so yeah your instructor is right. It just seems slower in your head when you’re worried about being slow. I still overthink it but I’m getting there. I also overthink the accelerator and fear thst I’m adding too many revs and fear burning out my clutch but I feel like I use enough that I need to for a confident get away it’s just about finding a balance so don’t be afraid of the accelerator or overthink it and you will get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Full license here with 30 yrs but son be doing his soon hopefully. Can I ask how many points are you allowed before you fail ? Is it 10 ? How are the 1 pt , 2 pt and 3pt actually given ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

costacorta wrote: »
    Full license here with 30 yrs but son be doing his soon hopefully. Can I ask how many points are you allowed before you fail ? Is it 10 ? How are the 1 pt , 2 pt and 3pt actually given ?

9 grade 2’s is a fail
    4 grade 2’s under the same category is a fail
    1 grade 3 under any category is a fail.

Grade 1’s don’t count

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

9 grade 2’s is a fail
    4 grade 2’s under the same category is a fail
    1 grade 3 under any category is a fail.

Grade 1’s don’t count

Cheers for that , I’m just happy I don’t have to go through all that pressure of car test again. Got it on 2nd time myself but I think it’s all on the day and I suppose a lot depends on tester and his current mood as well . Best of luck to all those with tests coming up ..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

Hi everyone, I failed my first driving test today, I’m 18 and have been driving for 9 months now. I got 2 grade ones and 14 grade twos. A lot of my grade twos were on road positioning. I am feeling very disheartened and upset as I spent so much money and time on lessons. Would ye consider the 14 grade 2s a very bad result? Please no smart comments as I’m upset about this at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

Look at the things you did right. Each time you try you get closer to your goal, it's a constant learning.

A lot people don't pass the first time but you will get there, focus on what you did well and keep practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, it's in the past. Time to learn from it and move on. The driving test can be stressful, as Dara o'briain said it's a perfect dance you must perform for the instructor.

Just be methodical about each mistake. Take one at a time. Visualise doing the right thing. Each time you go practise from now on do your best to get it spot on overall but put a little bit more emphasis on each of the mistakes you made one by one until you are confident you've fixed it.

When you're not driving pay special attention to how others are driving and visualise yourself in the same situation.

The test is hard, it's not a social stigma to fail. You've got solid information to work with, go use it and improve. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Dont stress it is life as we can only get better,road positioning can be difficult when trying to cater for cyclists and other obstacles and the white line.

Are there and you tube videos one can watch for guidance?

All the best in passing it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

take note of everything you failed on and practice to correct. I suggest you practice on the test route if possible. I failed 3 times. dont worry op you will get it next time.
    what did you get the grade 1 fault's for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go at it again.... Don't leave it off and don't start feeling sorry for yourself, nerves get the better of us all.

Work on the nerves, the issues that came up and get a good bit more driving in.

Get a pre test at least before to see if you are ready.

Any tips or advice needed just ask.

Fair play by the way... Know many won't even try at 28 and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

take note of everything you failed on and practice to correct. I suggest you practice on the test route if possible. I failed 3 times. dont worry op you will get it next time.
    what did you get the grade 1 fault's for ?

Road positioning :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Try not to be too disappointed. You will pass your test. Look at the things you did wrong and work to improve. More driving time and practice will make you more confident and assured.

Advertisement