Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

I took my driving test yesterday for the first time and failed it unfortunately, to say I am dissapointed would be an understatement. I let nerves get the better of me, could not stop my leg shaking when doing the reverse around the corner and totally mucked up the reversing around the corner, I knew I had failed within the first 10 minutes due to this. However, I decided to treat the rest of the test as if I had a chance of still passing.

Thankfully, the only other faults (Grade 2) which I had were checking my blind spot for too long (tester told me that someone on a broomstick isn't going to fly up on the inside, thought it was an apt comment for the time of year) and then parking, it was the end of the test and I was just so ready to be done that I parked poorly.

Anyway, besides the obvious failure, which was totally my own fault, I wasn't overly disheartened, Id be more concerned if what I'd done to fail had not been so glaringly obvious. The examiner told me that I am close to passing so to reapply ASAP, which were nice words of encouragement.

I went to reapply and saw that you won't be rescheduled within 21 days of failing the test. Does anyone know if this rule is strictly enforced or could I ring up and asked to be put on a cancellation list? I really want to strike while the iron is hot and sit the test again ASAP. It seems like such an odd rule, on the one hand we're being encouraged to sit our tests and get our full licences but then we have to wait at least 3 weeks until we are allowed a resit.

I waited 11 weeks for this test date and really do not want to wait that long again, particularly as I don't have access to my car on Monday to Friday and have to use my weekends to return home to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

dobby896 wrote: »
    I took my driving test yesterday for the first time and failed it unfortunately, to say I am dissapointed would be an understatement. I let nerves get the better of me, could not stop my leg shaking when doing the reverse around the corner and totally mucked up the reversing around the corner, I knew I had failed within the first 10 minutes due to this. However, I decided to treat the rest of the test as if I had a chance of still passing.

Thankfully, the only other faults (Grade 2) which I had were checking my blind spot for too long (tester told me that someone on a broomstick isn't going to fly up on the inside, thought it was an apt comment for the time of year) and then parking, it was the end of the test and I was just so ready to be done that I parked poorly.

Anyway, besides the obvious failure, which was totally my own fault, I wasn't overly disheartened, Id be more concerned if what I'd done to fail had not been so glaringly obvious. The examiner told me that I am close to passing so to reapply ASAP, which were nice words of encouragement.

I went to reapply and saw that you won't be rescheduled within 21 days of failing the test. Does anyone know if this rule is strictly enforced or could I ring up and asked to be put on a cancellation list? I really want to strike while the iron is hot and sit the test again ASAP. It seems like such an odd rule, on the one hand we're being encouraged to sit our tests and get our full licences but then we have to wait at least 3 weeks until we are allowed a resit.

I waited 11 weeks for this test date and really do not want to wait that long again, particularly as I don't have access to my car on Monday to Friday and have to use my weekends to return home to practice.

Hard luck dobby896 - that is very unfortunate that you very close to passing. I failed my first test as I got a grade 3 and like you would have passed otherwise and tester also was encouraging.

Like that I wanted to do it straight away but yes the 21 day rule was enforced for me anyway earlier this year. I booked the text online on the evening of failing and signed up for cancellation list. I rang them to see about getting date but they couldn't speak to me until 21 days had passed before scheduling a test. It was 6 and half weeks until I re-sat my test as a result.

Hard luck dobby896 - that is very unfortunate that you very close to passing. I failed my first test as I got a grade 3 and like you would have passed otherwise and tester also was encouraging.

Like that I wanted to do it straight away but yes the 21 day rule was enforced for me anyway earlier this year. I booked the text online on the evening of failing and signed up for cancellation list. I rang them to see about getting date but they couldn't speak to me until 21 days had passed before scheduling a test. It was 6 and half weeks until I re-sat my test as a result.

Thank you, hoping I will get it next time, how did the second test go?

I really hope I won't have to wait that long, even if I had to wait the 3 weeks, Id be happy to do it the following week provided there was a cancellation available. I just want to get it done as I need the licence for work, then again, there is still no guarantee to pass, anything can happen on the day. Yesterday when I was doing it, I had to do an emergency stop on the middle of a roundabout as another car cut across my lane, I thought I was in the wrong straight away but she told me at the end that my anticipation was good so that was a relief.

So hard not to be disillusioned after a fail, fingers and toes crossed for round 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

dobby896 wrote: »

That's a bummer, but great that you're not going to be discouraged! I failed my first test and got very little feedback -- in fact even after the second test which I passed, the tester (a different guy) refused to share any insights with me and just said "I'm not obliged to give any advice there; if you want more feedback then you can ask your instructor" which was pretty disappointing.

That was about 10 years ago, and I got the second test very soon after the first, about 3 weeks, by requesting a cancellation online. Things might be different now. Good luck!

zynaps wrote: »
    That's a bummer, but great that you're not going to be discouraged! I failed my first test and got very little feedback -- in fact even after the second test which I passed, the tester (a different guy) refused to share any insights with me and just said "I'm not obliged to give any advice there; if you want more feedback then you can ask your instructor" which was pretty disappointing.

That was about 10 years ago, and I got the second test very soon after the first, about 3 weeks, by requesting a cancellation online. Things might be different now. Good luck!

That lack of feedback must have been a nightmare!

Ill call the RSA next week and rattle out a "woe is me story" and hope to get a cancellation. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Put down for cancellation now, my sons well experience at this by now unfortunately, you could get a test within 21 days this has happened once, he has never waited much longer then 21 days, tip is to ring them everyday and ask.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Put down for cancellation now, my sons well experience at this by now unfortunately, you could get a test within 21 days this has happened once, he has never waited much longer then 21 days, tip is to ring them everyday and ask.

Will do, thank you for the advice! Its really helpful. Best of luck to your son, hopefully we'll all be out the other side eventually

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

3rd time taking the test in the morning. Nervous but confident...which will make it even worse if i fail.

Which i wont, cause i'm well able for it.

I am...

Really :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kiith wrote: »
    3rd time taking the test in the morning. Nervous but confident...which will make it even worse if i fail.

Which i wont, cause i'm well able for it.

I am...

Really :pac:

Go for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Best of luck, kiith!!

• Advertisement

Managed to get a retest for 2 weeks time so I'm happy about that!

However, I'm up the walls with work at present (I work and live in Dublin Monday-Friday) and cannot get home to Mayo (where my car is and where I'll be sitting the test) the weekend before the test.

So, I'm hoping to get plenty of practice in this weekend and the morning of the test, only potential advantage could be that it gives me less time to overthink every aspect of driving.

Just need to avoid that kerb, fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For what it's worth, after failing last time (7 progress faults), i only got 5 more hours practice before the test i passed. 3 hours the weekend before, and a two hour pre-test the morning of. So it's definitely doable, once you weren't far off the last time.

Kiith wrote: »
    For what it's worth, after failing last time (7 progress faults), i only got 5 more hours practice before the test i passed. 3 hours the weekend before, and a two hour pre-test the morning of. So it's definitely doable, once you weren't far off the last time.

This was a relief to read! I only failed last time because I stupidly hit the kerb when reversing around the corner, I had about 4 other Grade 2s (only for checking blind spot too long when changing lane- gave me a separate observation, changing lanes, anticipation/reaction to hazards fault and position fault for this alone) so would have passed otherwise. Here is hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Piguana

Failed my 3rd test! Feeling helpless at the moment. One mistake in that 30mins and goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Piguana wrote: »
    Failed my 3rd test! Feeling helpless at the moment. One mistake in that 30mins and goodbye.

Don't give up, it's an annoying feeling but it's another experience but you will get it next time

Piguana wrote: »

Yeah go on, book the next test now.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Failed first attempt at it today. 9 grade 2 faults. It was going alright until was taken on a route I’d never been on and messed up at a left turn at a t-junction. There was a red light just around the corner which I instinctively stopped at but quickly realised that was for traffic coming from the right so I had the right of way to continue. If I’d have stayed stopped it would have been a grade 3 but I did eventually proceed after 15-20 seconds which seemed like a lifetime.. it threw me off for a few minutes and made a few other errors in quick succession.

I also had a supervisor sitting in the back so it added to the pressure.

There’s no way it could go that badly a second time surely? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Faustino wrote: »
    Failed first attempt at it today. 9 grade 2 faults. It was going alright until was taken on a route I’d never been on and messed up at a left turn at a t-junction. There was a red light just around the corner which I instinctively stopped at but quickly realised that was for traffic coming from the right so I had the right of way to continue. If I’d have stayed stopped it would have been a grade 3 but I did eventually proceed after 15-20 seconds which seemed like a lifetime.. it threw me off for a few minutes and made a few other errors in quick succession.

I also had a supervisor sitting in the back so it added to the pressure.

There’s no way it could go that badly a second time surely? 😂

You still nearly passed with all that happening. Will be a doddle next time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

9 grade 2's is good enough! It's only barely a fail, and you didn't even get a grade 3. You'll ace it next time. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Faustino wrote:
    Failed first attempt at it today. 9 grade 2 faults.

One less and you would have passed, unless you had lots in the one category.

I have seen people make that red light mistake in real life. You are not alone there.

Apply again. You all but got it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

spurious wrote: »
    One less and you would have passed, unless you had lots in the one category.

I have seen people make that red light mistake in real life. You are not alone there.

Apply again. You all but got it this time.

I had three in one category. Specifically observation when overtaking but not entirely sure when each of these instances happened. I think it was most likely overtaking parked cars. I did have one fault for speed which is annoying as was really keeping an eye on it and also a stupid one for leaving an indicator on too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kelfy

Failed it today! Got 11 Grade 2s so not too far off the 9..
    The examiner was very nice and said to apply again soon as I am nearly there.
    I was so nervous, my whole body was shaking and I felt close to bursting into tears but I think doing it once demystifies the whole thing so I have applied again I hope I won't be so terrified the next time!
    Definitely some things to work on but in my head I was thinking I did a lot worse.

kelfy wrote: »
    Failed it today! Got 11 Grade 2s so not too far off the 9..
    The examiner was very nice and said to apply again soon as I am nearly there.
    I was so nervous, my whole body was shaking and I felt close to bursting into tears but I think doing it once demystifies the whole thing so I have applied again I hope I won't be so terrified the next time!
    Definitely some things to work on but in my head I was thinking I did a lot worse.

You were nearly there, book another test now, the nerves is hard to get over, not easy but try to think if i pass i pass if i fail i fail, not the end of the world, just keep going, we all get there in the end, eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Piguana

Failed 4th time! I am thinking of getting additional lessons and be assessed by the instructor if I am test ready. Any suggestions of motoring schools in Limerick who is good in doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Failed today.

Got 14 grade 2's, 12 of which were for checking my blind spot too often. I swear checking my blind spot was drilled into me by my instructor, any time taking off or pulling in checking the blind spot for cyclists. Well this guy gave me 12 grade 2's for it.

Hill start, turnabout and reverse around the corner did not get any faults.

Extremely frustrating and upsetting to be honest. I had a pre-test with the instructor yesterday who said I had a very good chance of passing. I was doing the same stuff with him quick glance over the shoulder a cyclist has a chance to come from, never corrected on it. Thought I drove very well to be honest, but I'm not the expert I guess.

What a joke this whole thing is.

It's very frustrating, I know, but apply again. You will pass eventually.

All of your 'faults' were for the one thing, which is good in a way, as it's easily fixed. The trouble is of course, the next tester might decide you're not checking enough. You just have to keep at it until everything comes together and it WILL come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Failed today.

Got 14 grade 2's, 12 of which were for checking my blind spot too often. I swear checking my blind spot was drilled into me by my instructor, any time taking off or pulling in checking the blind spot for cyclists. Well this guy gave me 12 grade 2's for it.

Hill start, turnabout and reverse around the corner did not get any faults.

Extremely frustrating and upsetting to be honest. I had a pre-test with the instructor yesterday who said I had a very good chance of passing. I was doing the same stuff with him quick glance over the shoulder a cyclist has a chance to come from, never corrected on it. Thought I drove very well to be honest, but I'm not the expert I guess.

What a joke this whole thing is.

Its a farce mate but keep at it you'll pass soon. Apply again and don't leave it for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Its a farce mate but keep at it you'll pass soon. Apply again and don't leave it for a few months.

Hardly a farce he must be checking his blind spot something terrible to accumulate 12 grade 2s for the same fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Got destroyed today for my first attempt. The tester thought that I wasn't "observing" enough when turning so he gave me (brace yourselves) 7 grade twos and a grade 3 for it. I genuinely disagree but what can you do, my instructor found it very strange as well. Otherwise got another 10 grade twos scattered around their marking scheme that weren't even explained to me, and 7 grade ones.
    I was very disheartened at the time so didn't thought about asking more.

I wouldn't mind failing on a "reasonable" basis, but I feel some of those grade 2s were really not justified looking at the feedback from my instructor.

Onto the next attempt in the new year. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

lawless11 wrote: »
    Got destroyed today for my first attempt. The tester thought that I wasn't "observing" enough when turning so he gave me (brace yourselves) 7 grade twos and a grade 3 for it. I genuinely disagree but what can you do, my instructor found it very strange as well. Otherwise got another 10 grade twos scattered around their marking scheme that weren't even explained to me, and 7 grade ones.
    I was very disheartened at the time so didn't thought about asking more.

I wouldn't mind failing on a "reasonable" basis, but I feel some of those grade 2s were really not justified looking at the feedback from my instructor.

Onto the next attempt in the new year. :/

Step 1. Did you get lessons? and i don't mean just the 12 compulsory lessons?

Advertisement