Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Started listening to Tubridy on Radio1 around 6 months back and I have to say I really enjoy him. Compared to how corny and uncomfortable he is on television, on the radio he's actually really good - intelligent and interesting topics with good guest contributors.

I agree with this. I don't listen to it as often as I should but when I do, I'm always pleasantly surprised at the quality of the show.

An hour is a little short though. The only weak link on Newstalk's daytime crew (Brenda Power) is on from 9-11, so I often find myself stranded from 10-11. This is providing that my father hasn't put on Ray D'Arcy while we're working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Ekels wrote: »
    The only weak link on Newstalk's daytime crew (Brenda Power) is on from 9-11, so I often find myself stranded from 10-11. .

I agree, Fionn Davenport has filled her slot ;) a few times and has been much better.

I like his saturday night show, Newstalk only seem to use him as a filler which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It must all come from some Best of Acoustic compilation.

So true, terrible moaney Irish singer/songwriter samey samey safe crap. Ray seems to have turned in to a bit of a sneer, I have met him before, he is a lovely fella, but lately I can see nasty contempt creeping in. Sneering at people who live certain lifestyles.

A while ago that Irish Times fella was doing a consumer watch on olive oil, which ones are good value etc... After explaining all about the olive oil D'arcy snorted out his derision; "Ten years ago we didn't know what olive oil was" or something to that effect. Well, some of us did Ray! And anyway, its not ten years ago now.

I have a bit of respect for Jenny Kelly, she's honest, not afraid to say where she shops, hasn't changed her accent, and slags off D'arcy the odd time.

As for the "act" that is on after. Amateur is insulting to amateurs.

lightening wrote: »

As for the "act" that is on after. Amateur is insulting to amateurs.

Another DJ is the only radio DJ on the planet that could make me physically ill.

spadder wrote: »
    I agree, Fionn Davenport has filled her slot ;) a few times and has been much better.

I like his saturday night show, Newstalk only seem to use him as a filler which is a shame.

I like Fionn Davenport also. He seems very articulate and interesting. Taste is quite good, it was a great lead in to the Meaning of Music, before that got the axe.

• Advertisement

This is a while back (last summer maybe) but I can remember a certain comment from Ray which really showed me that his show was going down the toilet, rapidly. They were speaking about what one should call their partners (husband, girlfriend etc.) when referring to them. Ray then said, "I often find it hard to think of what to call Jenny when I'm telling people how funny she is and stuff."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Ray then said, "I often find it hard to think of what to call Jenny when I'm telling people how funny she is and stuff."

Ray, how about an "ugly boring false arsehole"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I think I prefer pretentcious, ostentatious, stuck up her own hole, D4 snob...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Surprisingly she's from Waterford, so god only knows where she acquried the accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I used to love the show, but if you ask me, I think he's gotten very like that Dull Jock Gerry Ryan lately.

If anyone's heard the gift version of Gerry you'll know what I'm on about. He will ask someone a question, and before they answer it, he comes in with his own answer. Whats the feckin point of that?

Also, anyone notice when Quentin is on the radio with him? People write in to ask quentin's advice on issues that they are having as he is the one who has a career in giving advice. Q will come in with an answer, and before he gets through a sentence d'Arcy is in there with his own opinion, and of course he has to be right. Shut the feck up d'Arcy, if people wanted to ask you a question, they'd ask YOU and not someone else.

Methinks he may have gotten a bit too big for his boots lately

• Advertisement

Amz wrote: »
    Surprisingly she's from Waterford, so god only knows where she acquried the accent.

In fairness, most people I know with that accent are not from Dublin. However, I don't think she should change her accent for radio. I find her more down to earth than D'arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

+1

Darcys so far up his own ass theres no coming back, take your missus with you and stay up there, give us a break

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If thats in relation to Jenny Kelly, I dont think she is from Waterford, she just came down here to go to boarding school.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Kindly ease up on the personal abuse.

If you don't like a radio presenter then express that in a proper critical manner. A persons physical appearance has absolutely no baring whatsoever on their ability as a radio presenter so leave such stupid comments at the door.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 keepherlit

I only listen on a friday now. at least its always something new they are looking for, rest of the week is a bit of a monotonous drone, if he plays that god awful version of rocky road to dublin again its going to ruin a classic.

Kindly ease up on the personal abuse.

If you don't like a radio presenter then express that in a proper critical manner. A persons physical appearance has absolutely no baring whatsoever on their ability as a radio presenter so leave such stupid comments at the door.

Thanks.

Oh sorry, she's a boring false arsehole then :rolleyes:

I think she is far from false. If she was false she would change her accent that people seem to hate (why people judge others on their Irish accent is beyond me). She is pretty true to herself, not conforming to what people would like her to be like.

I really don't think she is an arsehole, I don't know her well enough to know. To be honest she seems to pull up D'arcy when he gets opinionated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

They both deserve our pity rather than our hate. Their show is turning off even the most ardent fans (including my wife) and it cant have long left in its present format.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh sorry, she's a boring false arsehole then :rolleyes:

Fair enough. Keep up the personal abuse if you wish. That's an infraction... next one is a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dogerster

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh come on how are personal attacks on peoples apperance helpful. Cop on. I am no longer much a fan of the show but it's mainly to do with darcy's pushy opinions and no one is right but him.

As for his advice to thw world weary slot. He often comes across as if he is laughing at people. !!!!!!!!!!!! Again he is so perfect !:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, I think she's from Foxrock but went to Newtown, the posh boarding school in Waterford. I met her a few times - she's really nice and not one bit stuck-up. You'd be amazed how many people in radio who give the impression they're nice are anything but, and people who you'd expect to be assholes are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Something that tells me the Ray D'Arcy show is beyond saving are two regular guests quentin fottrell and maeve higgins. One is an insipid little yoke who makes a career from wanting to be a character on Sex in the City and the other is an unfunny comedian who thinks making observations like "aren't cats funny" is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

disagree with the jenny kelly bashing, having met her a few times, she a nice down to earth person. always had time for a chat, and even advice when applying for a job.

but yeah, ray. again today, interrupting, dismissing emails as unreadable in a huff because some foreign persons english wasnt perfect. just... someone give him a break to rest up, he seems stressed or something. let tom dunne cover for him a while.

zuroph wrote: »
    just... someone give him a break to rest up, he seems stressed or something. let tom dunne cover for him a while.

That could be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm afraid its on its last legs.
    I have been listening since day one and it used to be fantastic.
    I think the team got too friendly, know too much about each other and thus the show has lost its edge. Mairead wants to be a comedian but is not funny in the slightest and has ended up being really annoying. She seems to be embarrassed by her Finglas roots aswell. Jenny while a bit annoying on the radio is actually quite nice in person. A change is needed for sure, I am listening to Phantom at the moment as I just couldnt listen to ray anymore today. Have to say its great when Tom Dunne stands in.
    He is funny, relaxed, plays great music and seems to have a rapport with the other people involved, newsreaders, sports and traffic reporters etc.

I don't see how Jenny Kelly being a "nice person" off the radio has any bearing on this.

She's a god awful presenter with an irritating fake mid-atlantic accent.

She is the reason the show is dying a death and I find her unbearable.

Just because she's given D'Arcy a kid doesn't mean he has to give her a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I don't see how Jenny Kelly being a "nice person" off the radio has any bearing on this.

Maybe they are referring to your disgraceful comments about her. You don't know the girl, nor do I. So don't call her every name under the sun if you don't know her. Criticise the quality of the programme or her part in it, if it's warranted. But there is absolutely no need to use the terms you do to describe her.
    She's a god awful presenter with an irritating fake mid-atlantic accent.

Are you having a laugh? Everyone that describes a radio presenters accent describes it as 'mid-atlantic'. She has nothing even close to resembling a 'mid-atlantic' accent as the smashey/nicey style has been known. She has a Dublin 4 accent. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Just because she's given D'Arcy a kid doesn't mean he has to give her a living.

Indeed he does, at least until the kid is 18:p

disgraceful comments

:rolleyes:

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

:rolleyes:

FFS

Would you like to read these kind of comments about your girlfriend/sister/mother/cousin, if they weren't up to scratch on their paper round?
    IanCurtis wrote:
    ugly boring false arsehole

She does deserve a slap

She's wretchedly ugly too

Didn't think so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement