Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 claude74

Sorry should be FIF didn't notice typo till you pointed it out......well at least I think so as middle intial of USA president and irish political party using it twice, never heard Thursday's clue so guess I may just give up on entering.........of course you could be kind and let me know what the clue was on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

think u can still enter this evening til midnight, mite be wrong, sorry, only back to this thread now. word was FIFTH

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

dh0661 wrote: »
    Darcy is a plonker!, End of story.

Fine. Ignore my post.

1 week ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 claude74

Thanks, I figured it out, had fif..h and then reliased I was been retarded obvious what the word was so I entered yesterday evening.
    Ray is away anyway, agree with some of the other post alot of what they talk is rubbish, but I am just back from five years in Aus and missed all his baby talk stuff so I didn't even know he had one until recently so he doesn't mention his kid that much, albeit he may have in the past. I find the show ok at times but when they start talking about sell by dates of yogurt or the like I just switch over to something else. I absolutely hate Fix it Friday, don't see the point of any of it and find the whole thing incredibly boring so always turn it off. Also don't think Jenny Kelly is good on radio at all, the best thing about the show is your man Will, they should let him talk more.
    By the way Tom Whatshisname was on this morning talking about how to make a good cup of tea.......not sure he is that much better than Ray and co

tom dunne for the last 2 days,a breath of fresh air, and a fun relaxed atmosphere.

fix it friday used to be interesting, but they've just gotten lazy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Have to agree with the above commets about Tom Dunne. I don't particularly like his own show but he really is a breath of fresh air when he is on in the mornings. He covered a week when Dempsy was on holidays and his last two days covering for Darcy have been a joy to listen to.

As for 'Fix it Friday' - about 90% of the questions dealt with could be answered by a quick search on Google. It used to be interesting and fun now they just seem to be flogging a dead horse.

what if they did a mix up, and darcy was on in the evenings some days and mornings some days? swapping in and out with tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I agree with what a lot of people are saying...D'arcy used to be the show on today FM that I looked forward to listening to. Now its pretty much just meh. Maybe when it's not followed by sh*t like Phil Cawley or Tony ( guarranteed to play U2/Motown every day) Fenton it doesn't seem so good. Also anyone else notice how condescending he seems to be to the producers?... anyway I enjoy listening to Foley more.

As for fix it Friday....that was the highlight of the show when it was actualy useful (by that I mean random facts) ...instead of just being full of people texting in looking for things they are too lazy to look for themselves. The segment needs to be dropped or at least put aside for a while.

Also agree with ppl's views on Tom Dunne...awesome job filling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Tom's fine. I wouldn't say he's awesome.

At least his presence rids the show of the Jenny/Ray love-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Ekels wrote: »
    Tom's fine. I wouldn't say he's awesome.

At least his presence rids the show of the Jenny/Ray love-in.

Looks like we're rid of Jenny for a few weeks (not that I wish the woman any harm!). Sunday papers had that she had an emergency op to have a cyst removed. Out of action for 5 weeks?

• Advertisement

poor jenny. scary one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

IF RTE are doing a version of the BBCs "Grumpy old men" they should get Ray (grey hair at 28) Darcy on to vent his spleen. Him and Turbrudy would be prime candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mossylikescake

if he plays that noah and the whale song AGAIN tomorrow i might just talk to the crazy guy who says "hi" to everyone on the bus to save myself from the repetitious choice of music he plays every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

if he plays that noah and the whale song AGAIN tomorrow i might just talk to the crazy guy who says "hi" to everyone on the bus to save myself from the repetitious choice of music he plays every morning.

I have made up my mind.. if he plays Rocky Road again before the weekend i will jab a 29.9 welding rod into both ears and turn the welder up to max

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

slideways wrote: »
    I have made up my mind.. if he plays Rocky Road again before the weekend i will jab a 29.9 welding rod into both ears and turn the welder up to max

One listener went a step too far: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055346529&highlight=stabbed :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tipsy7

slideways wrote: »

I think any d.j who plays damien dempsey should be banned from the air for at least a week. He sounds like sum random drunk you would hear singing and slurring sum song at 3o'clock in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭DenMan

I never liked him anyway. He seems to have gone further downhill in the past year or so. In fact I can honestly say that Today FM in general really annoys me. I absolutely hate that station with a passion. Having your own opinion is fine but taking full advantage of your position as a broadcast DJ is wrong in my opinion. I met him once when we were filming in Dublin. During the introduction I noticed he wasn't paying attention really to the people who were actually working, barely shaking hands and looking away from people. I shook his hand and again he barely glanced at me looking away. Suffice to say I kept hold of his hand during the shake, getting his full attention. He was flabbergasted and thanked me for coming down. I hope it was a very down to earth experience for him. Definitely has Napoleon Syndrome, pathetic excuse for a man and for someone who works in the media is woefully inept at working alongside the people who make him look good. Rant over (for now!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Ray always used to ruin songs by overplay. Anyone remember how much he played Outcast - Hey ya? Every day for about 2 years! His favourite music seems to be solo women with an acoustic guitar with "cookey" voices.
    I'm onto Phantom now, can't listen to Ray anymore, and I always hated the people who texted him in, they think ray is their mate.

Ray seems like he has a hissy fit over anything, and if he doesnt get his own way he gets into a strop. Fair play to jenny for taking the piss out of him the odd time when he gets like this. Will is good, comes out with some great lines.
    Fix it Friday is a joke, "where can I get Spartacus on DVD". You can get it in any DVD shop in the country ffs!

The best bit of the show is when Tommy Teirnan is on, he usually takes the piss out of ray, but pretends he doesn't mind, but you can tell he hates he, and there's nothing he can do!

fix it friday descended into
    "hi ray, any chance one of your listeners will give me this thing for free?"

it should be called "we'll google it for you friday"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

DenMan wrote: »
    I never liked him anyway. He seems to have gone further downhill in the past year or so. In fact I can honestly say that Today FM in general really annoys me. I absolutely hate that station with a passion. Having your own opinion is fine but taking full advantage of your position as a broadcast DJ is wrong in my opinion. I met him once when we were filming in Dublin. During the introduction I noticed he wasn't paying attention really to the people who were actually working, barely shaking hands and looking away from people. I shook his hand and again he barely glanced at me looking away. Suffice to say I kept hold of his hand during the shake, getting his full attention. He was flabbergasted and thanked me for coming down. I hope it was a very down to earth experience for him. Definitely has Napoleon Syndrome

Ironic that you should reference a Napoleonic Complex, considering that one of the symptoms is an over-abundance of self-reference in conversation... :D

Anyway, the whole Fix it Friday thing is past it's prime.

It's simply now : "Dear Ray, I moron who cannot understand how Ebay/ Amazon/ Wikipedia work. Explain things me slowly."

Or

"Dear Raymondo. I'm a mad crazy guy. Please fill airtime by answering my idiotically simple question that I could easily answer myself were I to fire up google or open a friggin' dictionary. But I'm mad, and I want to hear my mad question on the radio, so that's not an option. Wahey!
    If you could answer it in as condescending a manner as possible, in fact, if you could make the search for an answer to my cringingly pointless pop-culture question sound as important as a request for a particularly rare blood type needed for a transfusion, it would be much appreciated.....Please read my name out so my friends will know that I'm mad. Regards, Mad Sean. "

Or, as touched on above :

"Dear Ray, I am mean and want something. If I pretend that I've searched everywhere, perhaps one of your listeners will give me what I want without me having to pay for it. "

It's gone silly now. Pull the plug.

Forgot that they're all mad. Every listener calls their friends "Horse" too.
    It's great when Tom Dunne gives almost every that rings up a prize, when ray is so anal about giving them out

Thanks for reeling me in their mate, I got too carried away with the response there, it was a personal opinion that was formed when meeting the man. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

I thought I was only one thinking that D'Arcy had lost the plot. I listen to the show now, purely so I can shout back at the ludicrous stuff he comes out with. It started off as his opinion, but now he won't even let the guys on the team express a differing opinion!

Anybody notice that since the kid arrived the show has taken a nosedive?

gerardk55 wrote: »
    I thought I was only one thinking that D'Arcy had lost the plot. I listen to the show now, purely so I can shout back at the ludicrous stuff he comes out with.

Whoah. Careful where you do that. In the privacy of your own home is fine, but be careful when you're all headphoned up : screaming "You're talking through your ARSE!" at the top of your voice when in a library or on a bus could lead to complications.

I was coming back from the Airport this morning in a cab, and heard him throw out another re-occuring D'arcyism : after stumbling while reading an email message, he paused and announced " I'm going to have to read that again, as the person who sent it spelled several words wrongly".

No, Ray. You're going to have to read it again because you mucked up.

Everyone who broadcasts makes gaffes flubs and minor errors. That's acceptable. Blaming the listener because you didn't take time to read over thier message is not acceptable.

Running a show with an overdependence on morons sending in their opinions means that some of these opinions will be moronic, and may also be difficult to read.
    It's Ray's job as presenter to have a clear idea what the opinion & content is before he broadcasts them. Using someone's spelling ability to cover up the fact that the presenter hasn't pre-read the message or understood the point is a poor excuse, and makes a strong argument against being almost completely reliant on listeners texts to fuel a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

For a man so disliked can understand why everybody calls him Ray as if they know him personally. I don't care for him myself but I think he is an accurate reflection the country in that over half the population like this bland, anodyne nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mickd wrote: »
    ...but I think he is an accurate reflection [of] the country in that over half the population like this bland, anodyne nonsense.

I'm forced to wholeheartedly agree with you. I've slowly come to realise that it's not really just D'Arcy and his entourage that I can't stand, but the people who trip over themselves to listen to the show and "contribute" to it, like some kind of mass orgy of banal inanity.

Switched over to Radio 1 about a year ago and haven't looked back. Glad I am not contributing to his listnership. Eventually his ratings will drop and as a result will be very good day for all concerned. Morning Ireland is always a great way to start your day and from there on, why devalue yourself?

mickd wrote: »
    For a man so disliked can understand why everybody calls him Ray as if they know him personally.

Well, if you're referring to the posts here, where most refer to the behaviour and actions of the entity known as Ray,

1 - Pointing out the fallibility of "Mr D'arcy" is a little formal, and might lead to confusing cross posting between this and the Pride and Prejudice forum.
    2 - Starting each post with "Re : Mr Ray D'arcy, Former Den presenter and morning broadcaster on National radio station Today FM" is a bit of a mouthful.
    3 - It's his name

If you're referring to the people who use their time to make 'valuable contributions' to the show, ("Well Ray! I stay in bed all day. I'm Mad! Go me! I like jam too. Play shane ward for girls in work.") well, I suppose the fact that it's a one syllable word makes it ideal for their limited capabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 NoSummer

Ahhh Fix it Friday is good.... although I tend to listen to Phantom more frequently. More often I dont want to hear DJs ratting on about absolutely irrelevant stuff. FM104 has to be the worst offender for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement