Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A with (un)LuckyLloyd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

ditpoker wrote:
    i think ul find most cash game players would agree that there is more skill playing 6 handed than 9 handed. equally, i'd argue that heads up requires alot of skill and not dumb luck dependent on greater varience... this is fairly obvious btw.
    There is more skill in it but the Variance is significantly higher the shorter you play. You are forced to play hands whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

I disagree that there is more skill involved in 6 max than in full ring.
    I think there are different skills involved that is all and you need to have different attributes to excel in each of them.
    Similar to HU.
    I think HU in tourneys are mostly down to luck as stacks are usually not deep enough for any edge to be shown.
    One important thing in deep stack HU is that you cant be transparent and you have to constantly change your game and gear as your patterns can be quickly identified by your opponent if you keep playing in a particular manner.
    The strategy shifts should be more sudden and on a regular basis to keep your opponent guessing.
    Obviously the shorter the field gets you need to know how the value of the hands change but you also need to know if your opponent knows this and is adjusting accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

OK I think that's enough on that topic in this thread. Let Lloyd get through his Questions or he'll have to take a career break to get through them all.

EDIT: Apart from Lloyd (seeing as it's his Well) anyone that wants to reply to ditpoker's post below can start a new thread. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

so the only reason varience increases is because we decide toincrease it by extending our hand range because we believe that to be the optimum strategy, i.e. part of our skill is to adapt to this new dynamic of deciding to play a wider range of hands?! the varience is the same, we're just gambling more so we have artificially increased the varience. if we play the same game we were playing 3 tables out the varience would be the same... just because you have decided to change your game doesnt mean the game has changed.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

Well done so far Lloyd,

my 1st questions will be like awards

Live Player of the Year
    Best hand you've seen
    Best dressed player
    Best new player
    Young player of the year
    Most entertaining player
    Best Club

Have you ever had a bogey player who you just hated playing against?If yes, why?

Do you play much omaha?

Is there a reason you dont play much cash games?

What is your favourite tourney?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Just one question Lloyd. You refer to urself as a donkament player. I first met you when you were mimicing a certain part of Gibraltar on the SE cash tables. Any time I saw you there you had a huge tank and I rarely remember you having a losing night. What happened to you frequetning the SE for cash games? Surely you were taking a fortune out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

good post so far lloyd, its easier to follow if questions are answered in order though. gl with it!

• Advertisement

When he is tired or unfocused in anyway he is a big spew merchant. He knows this himself.

lol, im still not gonna do anything about it! :D

one question and one question only: i was speaking to carfax about his exit hand from the IO (AA cracked by KK) and what concerned him most was that he didnt have enough chips to survive such a beat. The impression i got was that he thought if he had double the average, he could lose a big pot in a bad way and still have chips to be dangerous. Recently, looking at some of your bad beat posts, while they are sick beats, it is usually the opponent who covers you and you're out. Do you think what carfax is saying could be applied to your recent run, i.e that if you take a beat you havent got enough chips to survive it due to not accumulating chips early on?

(im not saying it can or cant, just curious what ya think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

You get your money in pre - flop in a tournament. You are now a helpless spectator. You desperately are cheering on a certain result. If Liverpool are 2 - 0 up with 15 minutes to go against Milan in Athens and manage to lose it Dom - you are going to openly display some level of displeasure at that outcome I would bet. To me, that is something like what losing an 80 - 20 feels like. It is unexpected. And it hurts. And that is the best I can explain it really…
    TBH Lloyd, I think most of us know how it feels to get sucked out on in a tournament, but the vast majority of us don't react in the same manner as you do. I know people who will get one-outered for their tournament and stand up and quietly "nice hand" and walk away. I know a lot of players who will make some sort of expletive outburst and walk away muttering to themselves too. I usually find that the better the player, the better they deal with bad beats.

However it's when you win a pot that your reactions are most offensive: there's usually I guy who's just lost a load of chips, or been knocked out of the tournament, and you're standing up pounding the table and shouting victoriously. You say that when you inflict bad beats you're calm and dignified, well why not try to be calm and dignified when you win any pot and abandon the boorish triumphalism you're known for.

You've said on these boards that you're working on being less emotional at the table, but then numerous times you have just tried to justify your outbursts, and anyone who's played with you recently will say that not much seems to have changed. So what is it? Is this something you mean to work on or not?

Your emotional outbursts would suggest to me that you still haven't seperated results from clear-thinking. Your username and location on boards also suggest it. You should be happy if you're making correct decisions and playing well, and you shouldn't be upset if you're losing to bad beats: that means you're doing something right!

If you can't seperate emotion from your play you'll never become a really good player.

And change your username back. Nobody likes a fúcking martyr. there are plenty of guys on this forum who haven't got a 30k win to their name in the last six months who don't complain about their luck like you do, and it grates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Another excellent post from Marq

Lloyd

Can you pinpoint what is so objectionable about my post please?

• Advertisement

Lloyd

Can you pinpoint what is so objectionable about my post please?

i think its just you Noel... lloyd was trying to sell me a "I got Noel-ed" tshirt... he's just bitter!

anyone wanna make some "i got noel-ed" tshirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Do you play any STT's ever?

if so,

How do you change your strategy between MTT and STT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Language is power.

Marq wrote:
    Language is power.

lol - u had more time on your hands than me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

What do you think is the best regular dublin tourney? (that'd be which of the weekly games in the SE/Fitz/Jackpot)

Which one do you play the most regularly? (if different from the answer to the question above)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Good work with the Q&A Lloyd. You're really taking your time to give well explained answers and its a good insight to BigDog. I haven't asked any questions yet because it'll be christmas by the time you get around to answering it! I'll see you in the SE in a while

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement