Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A with (un)LuckyLloyd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good luck in the well, most of what I was thinking was been asked already so i've only got a few.

1.What do you do for a living? (I know you graduated recently, when?)
    2.How do you find the life of a working stiff.
    3.How do you feel about being in the limbo between student poker and serious poker, lots of your friends are still part of the student circut, do you play these games, or is it too stressful?
    4.What is your favourite online touneys, weekly MTT and multiple daily STT type.
    5. How many hands at a level are required before you can get a decent idea of ROI, do you record your ROI, current?
    6. Should ROI be recorded level specific or a total for a perios be taken

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭DITTag

Have you eva folded the second nuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Would you rather beat someone to death with your own hands or eat a limb of a child?

ketamine?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AS_PokerKing

Wat do you prefer.... Jaffa cakes or hob nob's with your tea ??? (joking)

ok, Jamie Gold - Good player ? I know he won the WSOP ME and ALOT of credit is due, but we all saw the way he was acting at the poker table, wat do you think of him

2. how do you deal with bad beats ???? do you go on tilt if say, someone called your all-in pre-flop with trash, thinking they were making a great call and dogged you leaving you crippled.

3. Wats the biggest win you've ever had ??? both on and off line

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Are there enough people underneath you in the well yet for you to climb out,
    are any of them still alive, and who turned to cannibalism first?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Solksjaer wrote:
    Name a capatalist who is also a humanatarian (apart from Bill Gates)
    I think that people underestimate the level to which captains of industry and that upper 1% of the population in wealth give back and contribute to society. Nobody probably reaches the level of Gates in this regard; but then – no – one would have the means to in any case.
    Just thought I'd give you a dig out...

Warren Buffet

"In June 2006, he made a commitment to give away his fortune to charity, with 83% of it going to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The donation amounts to approximately $30 billion. Buffett's donation is said to be the largest in U.S. history. At the time of the announcement the donation was enough to more than double the size of the foundation."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

Ste05 wrote:
    Just thought I'd give you a dig out...

Warren Buffet

"In June 2006, he made a commitment to give away his fortune to charity, with 83% of it going to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The donation amounts to approximately $30 billion. Buffett's donation is said to be the largest in U.S. history. At the time of the announcement the donation was enough to more than double the size of the foundation."

Good link ,.....Warren Buffet. now there is a man who can separate Value from worth.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

1.Why do you still play poker?You had agreat result in drogheda but since you seem to have sunk to the level where you belong.You seem to take getting outdrawn too much too heart its only a game. 2 How many hours a day do you spend on the forum?
    Next time I see you trolling on this forum you will get a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

1.Why do you still play poker?You had agreat result in drogheda but since you seem to have sunk to the level where you belong.You seem to take getting outdrawn too much too heart its only a game. 2 How many hours a day do you spend on the forum?

He might be an idiot but he's close enough to some reasonable questions so i'll de-troll it:

1. Why do you still play poker?
    2. You had a great result in Drogheda. Well Done. (not a question)
    3. You seem to take getting outdraw to heart, do you think this affects your game?
    4. How many hours a day do you spend on hte poker forum? (think you answered this)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Bowes on Fleet Street.
    FTW.

Lloyd, much as you seem to be having a very bad run at the moment, this has to be expected when 90% of your poker is MTTs. The variance in tournies is much much higher, and you can expect dry spells to last for ages. A couple of people have been top of the various Online leader boards for months on end and barely been breaking even because MTT's are difficult to turn consistent profit in.

I think the reason for this is that each pot in a tournament has a different value. Some are much more important that others because of the Tournament Life and limited stack sizes etc. Basically when you get sucked out on by a one outer in a cash game you can still play the cash game; if you get knocked out by a two outer in a tourney you can't. It's simple, but it explains why tournies have a higher variance.

I'm going to be quite honest now. Brutally maybe. Much as I hate giving advice that might help other people, here's some for you:

We played together for two days in Drogheda and I saw an awful lot of your play. the impression that I got was of someone who was a very good player preflop. You picked good spots and made good squeezes/reraises to build your stack without ever really showing a hand. Particularly when we got shorthanded on day three your preflop play kept you afloat and allowed you to build chips.

However, as soon as the hand got to a flop I felt that you were totally lost at sea. I don't think that I was impressed by any of your post-flop play, and I think you played the later streets particularly badly. I remember thinking that I was quite happy to get involved even out of position against you as we were both deep and I felt I would have the advantage if I kept control of the pot size to get to the later streets with lots of money behind. As it turned out we only played one or two pots together, but you should bare it in mind that some may have viewed you as easy pickings if we could just avoid you moving in on us preflop.
    Having said that, you negated your post-flop weakness by usually getting most of the hand out of the way before the flop, and that's why you did well.
    you played to your strengths, and those strengths were well applied, and deserves credit.

I think that you should try and work on your post-flop play. I think you have very good poker instincts, and you go with them too, and if you could adapt that skill to the later streets in hold'em you have the potential to become a very good player.

My advice would be to swallow your pride, and ignore MTT's for a while, and go play a lot of cash hands. You'll never develop turn and river play if most of your hands are in tournaments; and if you never develop your turn and river play you'll always be at a disadvantage in the long run because you'll have to avoid certain situations where you would otherwise have good equity, and this will be to the detriment of your tourney play.

I'm sorry for the long critical post. I know this is your well and we're supposed to be getting your advice.
    You've every right to reject all of this out of hand. I'm sure your results are more impressive than mine etc. I'm just trying to be nice or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Juice is great. Tropicana blueberry, apple and grape with a bit of ice is the stone cold nuts.
    Nope. got it made fresh. just orange and pineapple for me.
    The girlfriend had orange, pineapple, raspberry, passionfruit and ginger. It was fúcking divine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Marq wrote:
    I'm sorry for the long critical post. I know this is your well and we're supposed to be getting your advice.
    You've every right to reject all of this out of hand. I'm sure your results are more impressive than mine etc. I'm just trying to be nice or something.

Great post Marq! Maybe there should be a series of posts based on helping people. Kind of like an anti-well.....Only the brave and thick skinned need apply....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

ollyk1 wrote:
    Great post Marq! Maybe ther should be a series of posts based on helping people. Kind of like an anti-well.....Only the brave and thick skinned need apply....

i would be up for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Great post Marq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MickL

Great post Marq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

ollyk1 wrote:
    Great post Marq! Maybe ther should be a series of posts based on helping people. Kind of like an anti-well.....Only the brave and thick skinned need apply....

I would be up for that, I would love someone to tear apart my game, warts and all, i'll have a box of kleenex and a vodka at hand. Beware though I might make a few vodoo dolls of people and stick pins in them......Great post Marq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

smurph wrote:
    I would be up for that, I would love someone to tear apart my game, warts and all, i'll have a box of kleenex and a vodka at hand. Beware though I might make a few vodoo dolls of people and stick pins in them......Great post Marq.

you're a terrible person. :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Hi Lloyd,
    Best of luck with your stint in the well. I wouldnt take any notice of the begrudgers whose questions reek of jealousy. Ive only played with you twice and I was well impressed both times.

Now, try these for size:
    1-How much online poker do you play in ratio to live poker?
    2:-Name the top 5 boardies youve played live with?
    3- In the early stages of a 2/3 day tourney, do you raise with small and mid pairs p/f or do you like to get in and see a cheap flop with them?
    4 -Youve said your not playing cash games at the moment. Is that because you consider yourself to be running bad or have you taken a consious decision to concentrate on tournaments?
    5 -Whats the commonest tell you pick up at live games?
    6- has your confidence in your game returned?

Connie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

MickL's sig = definition of hubris

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭RacingSilver

Hi Lloyd
    Fair play to you for going under the cosh, I do enjoy your posts, even the ones with low poker content (and I'm not being sarcastic). For some reason, I always take pleasure in reading a well-constructed sentence. I should have known you were an English student.

I can tell you that Marq's advice about playing cash games to improve your turn and river play is excellent. It's not hard for any reasonably intelligent person to master pre-flop play, but getting the right feel for the turn and river is an art in itself, and probably my own biggest weakness.

Anyway, as you are an English grad., what are the 5 non-poker books that everybody should read ?
    Also, are there any particular posters on 2+2 (or elsewhere) that you especially respect ?

By the way, don't respond any more to that Hoffa d!ckhead - it's only feeding his illness.

Regrds

RS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MickL

MickL's sig = definition of hubris
    what

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I'd imagine that it will be short and rather unhelpful, but go on then.
    o rly?

1. do u worry about the future of poker, how the game's are getting tougher, do u think the boom's over and it's in decline?

2. Where did u pick up the majority of your poker knowledge?

3. Why do u not play cash?

4. What's the sickest call you've ever made?

5. do u aspire to ever to be a pro?

6. do u ever think that poker is a pointless silly game that we spend too much time thinking about?

7. poker pros are worthless members of society who contribute nothing? yay or nay?

8. has poker changed your personality/attitude to money/prospective on life?

9. do u spend much time on other forums?

10. tourny life? is it something that factors in your decisions?

11. if u were offered a coin flip for your stack at the start of a tournament would u take it? in the irish open? in the fitz friday night scalps?

12. what ever happened with your neighbours fire?

13. takk >>>> ()?

so it's the first hand of the wsop, you're on the bb with aa and everyone goes all-in before u...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

i would be up for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

MickL wrote:
    what
    *whoosh*

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement