Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm just after applying to my local TD, I'm hoping I get it considering his dad's my GP! Don't know if I will though...hope so.

Anyone know a solicitor's office dealing in Family Law in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kate-

anyone know of anywhere to do a photography work experience? preferably one not to do with newspapers...more so fashion?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Dunno about fashion, but you could try pixifoto in the Blanch shopping centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parry_Repost

Cancer Research Lab
    Accountancy firm (surprisingly quite good)
    And TV Station in the editing Department

All really enjoyable
    Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bumble1

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not true.

i got a week in Microsoft and a week in Google last year.
    how did you contact google

• Advertisement

I'm just after getting into Joan Burton's Dáil Office! Really happy about it. Heard nothing back from FF or FG, so if anyone's into politics, Labour'd be your best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I'm just after getting into Joan Burton's Dáil Office! Really happy about it. Heard nothing back from FF or FG, so if anyone's into politics, Labour'd be your best option.
    Already? :( There's another thing I've to sort out, going to be a nightmare finding anything that'll look ok on the old college application.

Not technically work experience but we got a letter yesterday saying out of the blue that half the year have to start looking for somewhere to volunteer on Tuesdays "immediately". Eh, no. Imagine the conversation "Ok, what time can you come and volunteer?" "No idea". "How do you want to help?" "No idea" "Will you be coming every Tuesday or just for a few weeks?" "No idea". Starting to regret doing 4th year already...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Has anyone ever worked in a library before? My local library offered me a place to work there because I submitted a letter there a month previously and they finally called me back to tell me I could work there for the week, but I can't because I got work in the local paper that week.

Anyway, I was thinking of asking to work there for the second week, so I was wondering if anyone had done it before, and what their opinion was of it?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Patch09'

Anyone have any ideas of where to go in Dungarvan Co. Waterford for w/e????
    i have 2 weeks one in october/november and the other in march/april???? plz reply cheeers!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Namlub wrote: »

Not technically work experience but we got a letter yesterday saying out of the blue that half the year have to start looking for somewhere to volunteer on Tuesdays "immediately". Eh, no. Imagine the conversation "Ok, what time can you come and volunteer?" "No idea". "How do you want to help?" "No idea" "Will you be coming every Tuesday or just for a few weeks?" "No idea". Starting to regret doing 4th year already...

I had to do that and was absolutely dreading it as i'm quite a shy person and just didn't want to do it! I looked everywhere and finally went to a creche in my area. It really isn't that bad. You'll learn a good few things, help out and really do make a few peoples day even if it's only two hoyrs a day. Don't worry it can't be that bad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

I have Work Experience as a class, every week. I got the dates, but should I wait until Friday for the class to get more info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tres cool

Anyone know any places to get experience in mechanical engineering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 aineh

Anybody know of anywhere in the Laois/Kildare area to get work experience in the medical/ legal field?

We only just got our dates, the start of November!

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Nicole. wrote: »
    Has anyone ever worked in a library before? My local library offered me a place to work there because I submitted a letter there a month previously and they finally called me back to tell me I could work there for the week, but I can't because I got work in the local paper that week.

Anyway, I was thinking of asking to work there for the second week, so I was wondering if anyone had done it before, and what their opinion was of it?:pac:

I know someone who worked in a library for ty work experience and she said it was the most boring thing ever

• Registered Users Posts: 11 .:x.smile.x:.

What did you do to get work experience in Microsoft in Sandyford? Did you get it through someone you know or could you give me an e-mail address or something?

Try getting it in The Park Hotel or like wlr fm in the shopping centre or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

Ok, I actually got in contact with the people. The guy you need to email is Liam Cronin (v-liamc@microsoft.com). But you need to apply NOW. I tried getting it but..

"Hi Eugene,

Sorry our transition year programme only runs in February. March and April each year...

Sorry,
    Liam."

And..

"Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your interest in the Microsoft Transition year work experience programme...

Eugene can you let me know the dates you would like to do your work experience in Microsoft Ireland and I can see can we accommodate you?

Attached are more details about our work experience programme...

I look forward to your response

Regards,
    Liam."

AND..

"Hi Eugene,

Sorry I have bad news we already have 6 students booked in for 30-March to 03-April so sorry we are unable to accommodate your request for work experience on this date...

Sorry,
    Liam."

I was pretty disappointed when I heard all this. But maybe it will give a better opportunity to get it. Good luck!

Btw, those emails are in order 3, 1, 2.

If you want the attachment you can PM me and I will email it to you. But, I'd say he'll send it to you anyway.

Good luck and I hope this helped!!

ShotgunBoy wrote: »
    Ok, I actually got in contact with the people. The guy you need to email is Liam Cronin (v-liamc@microsoft.com). But you need to apply NOW. I tried getting it but..

"Hi Eugene,

Sorry our transition year programme only runs in February. March and April each year...

Sorry,
    Liam."

And..

"Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your interest in the Microsoft Transition year work experience programme...

Eugene can you let me know the dates you would like to do your work experience in Microsoft Ireland and I can see can we accommodate you?

Attached are more details about our work experience programme...

I look forward to your response

Regards,
    Liam."

AND..

"Hi Eugene,

Sorry I have bad news we already have 6 students booked in for 30-March to 03-April so sorry we are unable to accommodate your request for work experience on this date...

Sorry,
    Liam."

I was pretty disappointed when I heard all this. But maybe it will give a better opportunity to get it. Good luck!

Btw, those emails are in order 3, 1, 2.

If you want the attachment you can PM me and I will email it to you. But, I'd say he'll send it to you anyway.

Good luck and I hope this helped!!

Thank you so much. That was really helpful. I sent an e-mail to infoire@microsoft.com (which I got off the website) but for v-liamc@microsoft.com it said sending failed. The only problem is is that my Work Experience week isn't during those months... maybe I could ask the school could I take a week off because it sounds good there.

Anyway thanks a mil for your help

Anyone know anywhere that takes people on in South Dublin or town? Like anywhere remotely interesting? I need it in the next month. Seriously, anywhere where you're actually doing stuff is grand. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 KevMed5

Im just wondering for good ideas of work experience in cork, maybe somewhere where i could get a part time job in after nest summer...!
    Any good feedback plz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

I did one week of my work experience in 96FM 2 years ago. I'd say they still do it. You dont do much personally there but you get to see everything, thought it was interesting enough. Red FM do 2 week experiences. Probably wouldnt get a job there for the summer though.
    Did my other week in Zavvi. But of course its gone now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PrideInBattle

I am f**ked to put it bluntly.

To cut a long "poor me" story short, I didn't lift a book for the JC, missed over 30 days, generally didn't participate in class & got brutal results.
    I know I'm not stupid, I could of done well if I wanted to but I'm a slacker and I can't study.

Anyways, I haven't really got a clue of what I want to do,
    I like computers, technology, etc. & I think I excell at them.

I would like work experience but what am I to do?
    Where do I get work experience for "computers"

Should I try some courses or classes?

Should I even bother writing a "C.V" mine is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 PrideInBattle

Computer shops, repair shops, technology shops..?

I'm lost. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

my brother was in the same sort of situation last year for college and he's got his degree now in computer games development. I could ask him for ya and link him to this thread. he'll tell ya where to go but see if there's any factories around such as HP, Dell, Microsoft etc. depending on what area of the country you're in it'll obviously be different. hard enough to get into i believe but possible.
    If you try this and get no where email the IT department of your local college. I know where i am anyways they'll bring you in, send you to a few lectures, probably show you some stuff and send you home. actually its probably the best experience you can get cos they'll tell u straight up what it takes and what you can do after college.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I'm doing Red Fm myself in March and they seem willing to take on people. I think HMV are fairley good as well as are most big shops that would really appreciate the free help

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PinkBubble

RTE didnt accept my school for work experience...:(... im really interested in doing television production and broadcasting so does anyone know if they'd take me for a week in the summer???...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

Has anyone ever done work experience in Beaumont Hospital? I'm working at the A&E desk (office work) and I'm just wondering what to expect. Are heels totally OTT? (Pain isn't really an issue, I'll bring flats). Do you think they'll let me do some shadowing or something more medically than office work if I'm really good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I worked in an office in Beaumont, wanted to see what it would be like to be a social worker but couldn't actually work with them due to confidentiality issues. I didn't wear heels because i was running around like a mad woman the whole time but if you usually wear them go for it and bring flats just incase.

Not sure if they'll let you shadow, but theres no harm in asking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭hattie-f

I really dont know where to go or what to do . :(
    I love art and make-up and stuff.
    I was looking at going to a tattoo parlor but im not sure.
    I dont wanna do stage make up but i cant find anywhere :( when i say stage make up I mean like bruises and stuff like tv makeup.

anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 geansaibui

i also would LOVE to get involved in this type of work :D
    emm...i know in brown thomas in galway..there's a dozen stalls type things for different brands ie. mac, channel etc :p..they've often done my make up for free..;)

Advertisement